Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

roomtone posted:

Cooper seems to be aware that there's a chance bombs are going to drop soon, because he refuses to do the Vault-Tec thumbs up pose because of how 'things are right now'. So, it's public knowledge that there's a particular risk of nuclear war at that moment. Which suggests to me, vault-tec didn't drop the bombs, along with the kid and Cooper being out there along with all those other rich people at that house. Vault-Tec et al were beating the war drums but somebody beat them to it, it semi-backfired.

Cooper and his wife are probably on the outs considering where his opinions have turned by the end of the season flashbacks and the fact he's doing party gigs. One of the guys are the party calls him a pinko so presumably his anti-vault tec feelings have cost him his career. So, there is at least some period of time between when Barb suggests nuking as a plan and the nukes falling. Although, it can't be much more than a year because the kid looks the same age.

That's how I took it all.

Everyone is scared of the bombs imminently dropping. In the short few minutes of TV we see we learn that the President is missing, and see the weatherman having a meltdown.

Also Cooper got a divorce, he's paying alimony, and he definitely has some level of custody and Barb might not have a say in either where her daughter is or when the nukes drop, which might not have even been dropped by Vault-tec either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Rubellavator posted:

Everyone is scared of the bombs imminently dropping. In the short few minutes of TV we see we learn that the President is missing, and see the weatherman having a meltdown.

Also Cooper got a divorce, he's paying alimony, and he definitely has some level of custody and Barb might not have a say in either where her daughter is or when the nukes drop, which might not have even been dropped by Vault-tec either.

I forgot about the divorce/alimony part but you're posting this like it's a correction and it's all in agreement with what I said.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

roomtone posted:

One of them said in an interview there's still supposed to be some ambiguity there.

I don't think it would be a rug-pull. It'd be an ironic comeuppance for vault-tec. It'd also make the point of 'this is why you don't warmonger'.

So there is a bit of ambiguity, but I don't see a natural way for them to pivot to that without it undermining this story.

Like this season had a pretty hefty answer for 'this is why you don't warmonger/play god' - Hank is rejected by his children who are horrified at what he's done. If Hank didn't actually do the bad stuff then a) why wouldn't he say so and b) he becomes a bit of a victim in the story.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

Are you mixing up the shady sands bombing with the initial nuclear bombing?

Cos there's no ambiguity that Hank dropped a bomb on Shady Sands, that's pretty much definite. I'm talking about the original world ending bombs. Who dropped those is still open. All we know is Vault Tec had a plan to do it, we don't know if they actually did and I think they didn't.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 24, 2024

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I feel like every Fallout has a scene that tells you who fired the first missile, then the next game/show/media has a scene that completely contradicts it. Until we have a scene with Vault-Tec pushing the button I'm gonna assume that's where they're going with this

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nah, Fallout's always been vague on who started the Great War but also it doesn't really matter. MAD doctrine means everyone is hosed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

roomtone posted:

Are you mixing up the shady sands bombing with the initial nuclear bombing?

Cos there's no ambiguity that Hank dropped a bomb on Shady Sands, that's pretty much definite. I'm talking about the original world ending bombs. Who dropped those is still open. All we know is Vault Tec had a plan to do it, we don't know if they actually did and I think they didn't.

No I'm not mixing them up, they're linked events in the story because they show that Vault Tec was and is still willing to commit mass murder to ensure they end up in charge. There's a reason both reveals happen at basically the same moment.

War never changes etc.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Whoever cast both Walton Goggins, Agent Coop, and Zoey Deschanel 2 did a good job.

Just starting it now, but feels promising that my sci-fi loving parents fell in love with this and had no idea it was a video game.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

They'd better cast Timothy Olyphant as an NCR Ranger.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Back Hack posted:

They'd better cast Timothy Olyphant as an NCR Ranger.

well I definitely think he would do it, dude is down for whatever

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Timothy Olyphant and Anson Mount as a couple rangers would make my day.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

roomtone posted:

I forgot about the divorce/alimony part but you're posting this like it's a correction and it's all in agreement with what I said.

yeah i kinda misread your post, sorry.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rubellavator posted:

I figured that would have to be the case. Barb didn't really seem like she was an executive at Vault Tec, since she told Cooper she was having to work at getting her family a spot in a (good) Vault. That could just be misdirection, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

IRQ posted:

I figured that would have to be the case. Barb didn't really seem like she was an executive at Vault Tec, since she told Cooper she was having to work at getting her family a spot in a (good) Vault. That could just be misdirection, though.

I read that line as "I've worked really hard with the aim of getting to this point".

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Even Bud, a major contributor, isn't getting a free ride through the apocalypse.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Argas posted:

Even Bud, a major contributor, isn't getting a free ride through the apocalypse.

the car he rolled up in didn't really give that impression, seemed like an enthusiastic goober the execs were willing to exploit

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Knight running from the bear going "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" was fuckin' great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Considering all the misdirection that happens in this show, I'm not sure why more misdirection wouldn't fit in. We don't really know where Barb is in the vault tec hierarchy. They make it seem like she just works there, maybe as PR or something. Then she's in that meeting with the titans of industry. If vault tec did drop the bombs, Barb would clearly know when, if she's that far into the planning of it. She would have said that their daughter had some sort of appointment or something and Coop wouldn't get his visitation that weekend.

With what actually happened, it seems pretty clear that the question of who dropped the bombs is still up in the air.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The Knight running from the bear going "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" was fuckin' great.

Any show that portrays Michael Rapaport as a cowardly shitstain that gets eaten by a bear is super duper in my book.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Argas posted:

Nah, Fallout's always been vague on who started the Great War but also it doesn't really matter. MAD doctrine means everyone is hosed.

yeah isn't the whole point that it doens't matter who shot first (han shot first) but that the world ended up in that situation in the first place?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arc Hammer posted:

"The details are trivial and pointless. The reasons, as always, purely human ones."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

ilmucche posted:

yeah isn't the whole point that it doens't matter who shot first (han shot first) but that the world ended up in that situation in the first place?

well that's just MAD in general. We point bombs at everyone else in order to feel safe so they do the same. Don't you feel safe yet?

hawowanlawow posted:

the car he rolled up in didn't really give that impression, seemed like an enthusiastic goober the execs were willing to exploit

I mean, everyone who isn't at the top is an enthusiastic goober for everyone above them.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Been thinking about Moldaver and some speculation on future plotlines

So if there are old world players in the present story -- be it Vault-Tec's cryo management or Robert House or Enclave AIs -- then there might also be old world resistance. I'm hopeful that we learn a little bit more about how Moldaver returned and became embedded in the NCR, and who enabled that to happen. Was it ever implied whether she was working with others, besides the Head Scientist?

There's a lot about her that seems inconsistent and hopefully they can clean some up with background info. I'm still not clear on whether she actually brought raiders into Vault 33, or if those were NCR regiments under her command. They seemed to be portrayed as barbarians for most of the season. If they were her better equipped troops, you'd think she would ask the breeder-bait not to rape and murder her friend's daughter.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

DarkLich posted:

Been thinking about Moldaver and some speculation on future plotlines

I'm still not clear on whether she actually brought raiders into Vault 33, or if those were NCR regiments under her command. They seemed to be portrayed as barbarians for most of the season. If they were her better equipped troops, you'd think she would ask the breeder-bait not to rape and murder her friend's daughter.

They were raiders. and hank isn't her friend, she hates vault-tec. they bought her cold fusion tech and boxed it up so no one would use it. plus the whole nuking a city and turning her girlfriend into a ghoul thing

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They were raiders. and hank isn't her friend, she hates vault-tec. they bought her cold fusion tech and boxed it up so no one would use it. plus the whole nuking a city and turning her girlfriend into a ghoul thing

Lucy's mother was her friend.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah, but you think she might have some positive feelings toward her Girlfriends daughter, particularly because she probably knew her as a small child. Like not necessarily, but it's still a touch surprising she doesn't.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, "friend" who she kept around as a living corpse, ate dinner with, and lovingly held hands with as she died, saying "we did it". "Friend".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If two women care for each other they're girlfriends that's the rules of fiction.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Regarding the plot inconsistencies If Moldaver wasn't dead I'd say all the massive flaws and inconsistencies in her plan were them setting up stuff Lucy could point out in her 100 speech check in the for real finale to make Moldaver kill herself.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

On episode five. It's enjoyable, but some cracks are showing - the intrigue plot in the vault got way, waaaay dumber with the Vault 31 election slogan reveal.

There's some nuance missing from this that's disappointing. One major example is Lucy - it keeps taking me out of the show a little in how unbothered she is by all the sights and things she encounters. It's fine that she adapts quickly, but it feels kind of inconsistent. Same with her brother, who I thought was being set-up as the "kill the intruders" philosophy vs. the vault's liberal ideals... and then veers in a completely different direction.

Landing somewhere in the camp of "Real Good Schlock" to me. Better than American Horror Story, but not really great. It's very video-gamey with stim packs and an apparent army of janitors that can clean a vault in 24 hours.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 24, 2024

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

Regarding the plot inconsistencies If Moldaver wasn't dead I'd say all the massive flaws and inconsistencies in her plan were them setting up stuff Lucy could point out in her 100 speech check in the for real finale to make Moldaver kill herself.

in the game this is how you get the Pedantic Goon achievement

I did really like Moldaver as a character, she's a textured antagonist that has a few ways you can read her. (season spoilers) It seems that she saw Vault Dwellers as redeemable at some point. She had kind things to say about Lucy's mother, and knew that Hank was being misleading. After the bombing, she has enough know-how to gather former NCR, raiders, and kooky Vault refugees under her banner. There's just a few things that are tricky to square away as part of her plan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Woman gets paired up with a man in order to breed to further humanity. Woman finds out there are people living on the surface. Woman finds other woman on surface and wants to live with her, she brings her kids. Man goes to surface, brings kids back, nukes surface and kills his wife.

Everyone: They were just good friends.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/women-rather-stuck-forest-with-man-bear-3019615

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

DarkLich posted:

in the game this is how you get the Pedantic Goon achievement

Has anyone complained itt and whether or not they killed any children in the show yet?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Arc Hammer posted:

If two women care for each other they're girlfriends that's the rules of fiction.

You're bad at watching what is shown on the screen, apparently

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You're bad at watching what is shown on the screen, apparently

You're bad at detecting sarcasm, apparently.

I don't have a horse in this race, to be honest, I'm just being smarmy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Arc Hammer posted:

You're bad at detecting sarcasm, apparently.

On the internet? Yes.

Off the internet? Also yes.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Good actors from Reservation Dogs showing up. Dallas Goldtooth as the "red or blue pill" guy. Matty Cardarople as yet another junkyard scavenger. Guy certainly has a type, but always happy to see him show up.

Missed a great opportunity to give Matt Berry's character a white wisp in his hair to make him canonically Stephen Toast.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Ghoulfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

On episode five. It's enjoyable, but some cracks are showing - the intrigue plot in the vault got way, waaaay dumber with the Vault 31 election slogan reveal.

There's some nuance missing from this that's disappointing. One major example is Lucy - it keeps taking me out of the show a little in how unbothered she is by all the sights and things she encounters. It's fine that she adapts quickly, but it feels kind of inconsistent. Same with her brother, who I thought was being set-up as the "kill the intruders" philosophy vs. the vault's liberal ideals... and then veers in a completely different direction.

Landing somewhere in the camp of "Real Good Schlock" to me. Better than American Horror Story, but not really great. It's very video-gamey with stim packs and an apparent army of janitors that can clean a vault in 24 hours.

This was my biggest gripe with the show at first, too. I've just learned to turn my mind off to it and enjoy things.