Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kavak posted:

Also the final episode's credit sequence has Vegas in complete ruins

Should never of trusted Yes Man to look after things. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

VanillaGorilla posted:

This pretty good show is really bringing some of the biggest nut jobs on the internet out of the woodwork, hoo boy.

Acting like Todd Howard personally ordered every copy of New Vegas confiscated and burned.

It’s not! It’s installed on my computer right now!

Check again, Todd personally snuck into your house hid behind your computer and burnt the copy off your hard drive while you were posting this.

That's just how sneaky he is.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fabulousity posted:

One thing they nailed is the perfect amount of fan service: it's quietly there to be observed if you want and doesn't get in the way of the show otherwise. Unlike Picard where the show is pinning you down and viciously beating you in the face with references and bending the plot in stupid ways to fit in even more references.

Think it was a good choice to keep the references basically just to the settings and not having a bunch of charcter references. Made all the references seem very natural and don't stand out if you don't get them. I think someone using a (ep 1 or 2?ish light spoiler a jumpjet gun would of been the only time I think might be a touch confusing for people who've never played fallout 3/4

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Entorwellian posted:

I finished watching the first episode and I can't believe they recycled the introductions to Fallout 3 and 4 and made a Frankenstein monster out of it. GOT TO FIND DAD.

For a movie I think that hook works a lot better than for an openworld RPG game. [Ep 8] Would of been fun if the main charcter got sidetracked for the entire seasons doing random side quest and looting litireally everything, and just around with starting and finishing finding her dad in the last twenty minute. Did love the Ghouls quote about always getting into bullshit side quest.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

grobbo posted:

Ep 8 spoilers / Dead Money reference:

I took the ending as an indication that House presumably won the Second Battle of Hoover Dam and we'll be seeing him in S2 as the major antagonist, which I'm excited for.

If only Rene Auberjonois was still alive. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

if anything this show solves one of the biggest problems facing the NCR.

(ep8)Existing? Although, yeah the New, New Calfionian Republic will have all the power it needs I guess. If any of it still exists. With how big the NCR seemed to be big though by the time of New vegas just blowing up one city and it collapsing doesn't seem to make much sense. It certainly seemed to have just a whole bunch of towns all over the place.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ardennes posted:

I think the NCR was always very decentralized in practice since really it was a confederation of various settlements that united around Sandy Sands. The timeline is a bit screwy since New Vegas happened in 2281 and the "Fall of Shady Sands" is in 2077, but to give them the benefit of the doubt, it may just be referring to the First Battle of Hoover Dam and the general war with the Legion that is assumed to have led to its eventual nuking since they are separate points on the timeline.
(ep.8) I'm going with it was just a production fub, but if you need to head cannon, the people in the class room just got the date wrong. Teachers arn't perfect you know!!! Does bring up that NCR didn't even know who nuked them, so I guess they would of just thought Legion, as like who else would of?

Ardennes posted:

As for the show, Lucy does linger in the classroom a while, and it seems like the NCR was put in a good light. I chuckled when the Fallout 3 "location discovered" sting played when she unfurled the NCR flag.

Yeah the show was great for some of the subtle game touches refrences like that. also (ep.8)they didn't run into a single death claw. Good for them.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

koolkal posted:

Is this really the best analogy you could come up with?

When you blow up the other teams construction yard in Comand and Conquer, like it's just a matter of time until the other teams base collapses!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rabid Snake posted:

100 years after the bombs dropped. Adobe huts made sense. Hell I'd love Adobe huts in this show. It just sucks 200+ years later and we're back at scrap metal sheets from just 100 years in the future from fallout 1 but were 220 years ahead.

Yeah well made adobe huts houses like seen in fallout one would be very comofrtable to live in. Far better than all the rubbish built houses. They also have good walls surronding the town, a decent well maintained farming area, and the place looks like it's just kept clean in general.

In wooded places I would also expect a lot more thatched huts and log cabins. If you've got a few decent tools you could have one built in really not the long ammount of time and when they got rad roaches and the such wandering around the extra effort would seem very much worth it. Also in colder climates they will be able to kept a hell of a lot warmer.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Entorwellian posted:

Yeah it really picks up on episode 4. Coincidentally, the first three episodes were directed by Nolan. :magemage:

There's quite a few people saying the like the first four better. There's a slight shift in the feel of the show from the frount four and the back half, so I think it might just be a personal preference thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Adobe huts are a lot of splooshing around in radioactive water.

They have a well!!! Unless the ground water is irradiate as well... which possible. But at that point you're drinking and watering you're plants with Irradiate water which is far worse than just getting a bit on the skin so :shrug:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont even think the idea itself is that bad, my main problem with it comes down to the execution and general portrayal of things that the show goes for. It serves its function but in a messy, less interesting way than it could have gone. It's not about the details or about the why, but about how it happened.

How something is described or presented is as important as what that something actually is. A good idea presented badly can damage the intended meaning.

Sharkopath posted:

It's taking a running narrative thats a small bit complicated and squishing it into a flatter simpler shape in a very sudden way, a lot gets lost in the process that could have been great content.

Yeah I agree with both of these points. The broad idea of the major change to the setting is fine, but it just seemed to be done in a bit of an off handed not very intresting way, and it seem like it was possible done just to keep the setting simpler, which at the point just set it somewhere else. But yeah honestly It's I find it to be a pretty minor thing. Over all I liked the setting, charcter's and tone. The main idea for the plot was bit 'eh, but I liked the charcter stories and arcs which is usally more important for these sort of adventure/comedy/ post apocalyptic western type things. Also the pre-war back story stuff I thought was nicely done. A good mix of happy 50's Americana and the undercurrent of everyone knowing things are actually really hosed and the worlds possibly about to end at any minute.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

moths posted:

Am I the only person who saw FIRST CAPITAL OF THE NEW CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC on the Shady Sands billboard? (e5 about 23 minutes in.)

They presumably had another one after that.

Or still have.

Possibly but (e8) it does seem like the NCR is at least gone from the area. While the last group was flying the NCR flag at the battle in the end, no one around seemed to know they were looking to represent the NCR. They were just known as this well known criminal group run by a well known criminal lady. As the next season -if there is hopfully a next one- seems like it might be set in or around New vegas or what ever is left to it, might see some NCR remnants. ... I swear to god someone better not of randomly of nuked Goodsprings too. :argh:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sharkopath posted:

The really cool narrative stuff in Elder Scrolls would never be adapted, yes.

Don't think you could do an elder scroll series that would have as much appeal to audiences as this either, flat out.

Yeah if they do an Elder scrolls they should 100% Daggerfall it up. Five epsiodes of the first season spent getting lost in one dungon only for the hero to figure out that thing they were meant to get in there wasn't actually in there. Than they spend all their gold trying to summon a daedric prince only for it not to work as they got the wrong date.

But also TV show set in Morrowind show could be legit great. Although god would the FX budget have to be high to do the place justice. I say get the Jim Henson's workshop involved in Labyrinth muppet that poo poo up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Also, it is a big question what they do with the Brotherhood of Steel because they make it very clear they aren't the good guys but they may end up being a useful foil against Vault-tec and the Enclave.

Yeah, they left the season on a really interesting note , with the main Brotherhood guy accidentally becoming a brotherhood hero and really not being into it, seemingly to be a bit over the Brotherhood at that point. Season was good in terms of ending with enough closure while still leaving a lot of stuff open for another season. 

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Megazver posted:

EDIT: Apparently forum doesn't want to embed. Tim Cain made a video about the tv show.

Embeded for me? Also two minutes in and he's talking about getting freaked out by a robot vacum cleaner with a name tag "oscar" at the hotel he went to to get to the premier. Haha.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Weeping for the Followers of the Apocalypse.

I'm sure they're fine.... right? Right???

They're probably just off screen somewhere...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sharkopath posted:

They don't do much.

Whole lot of people should of invested more skill points in energy weapons. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bloody Pom posted:

Betting the big season 2 trailer moment will be someone getting dusted by a laser rifle. Can't show off all the fun toys right away.

Gonna have to wait till season 5 till we see someone get got by a fatman.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

I am liking the mental picture of maximus' being terrorized by a roomba named oscar.

I also like how he just automatically goes to as someone saw another big boy roomba named oscar on the floor above it knows how to use elevators now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Shutting up about NCR for a second, I'm really loving how all the vault dwellers are dipshits... The whole thing's just entertaining to watch.

It just makes a lot of sense, as yeah a lot of vault dwellers are going to be naive weirdos to wastelanders, and yeah fun to see. The lead just waking in to that first town with her bright super clean clothes and backpack, and being super suprised no one cares about the random poo poo she's asking them about.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wee Bairns posted:

E: Oh, and the voice actor who sold his vocal rights was a fun bit.

Matt Berry is great in everything. Just the best.

Really liked with that (ep like 6 I think) about hating how he's agent with out his knowledge got him one of the handy man robots as part of he's fee so when ever he goes into his kitchen in the morning he's greeted by the robot in his own voice.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They can also be pretty handy to hide in for a second while people are shooting at you, so you can eat a bunch of food and heal up a bit.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sab669 posted:

How many seasons do you all suppose we'll have to wait for the Children of Atom?

Season three reckon. Think they'd make it to boston by then if following Mr twin peaks west to east.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just cazadores. Nothing but cazadores.

Written and directed by Lars Von Trier.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

This did happen actually, for all the games on Steam. All the player counts are up

Yeah I would of been pretty surprised if it didn't. Even if not that many new people brought the games, would of been quite a few fallout fans going back and playing them after watching the show.

That's just how people usally work.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

grobbo posted:

Not you specifically, but I do think we've all collectively lost our minds over Todd's innocuous phrasing of ""We view what’s happening in the show as canon," by which I'm fairly sure he just meant "Fallout 5 will contain The Ghoul's Gun as a preorder item."

It's an adaptation, no matter how it's framed for PR purposes, and adaptations have to have some grace and flexibility in how they adapt the material.

Nah, they'll do what they always do, if the show is popular -which while we don't have any numbers, it does fortunately seem to be- they'll take all the bits that work from it and politely ignore what doesn't. Like even between fallout games made by the same studio the "cannon" changed a bit.

With the major changes made, yeah I think they'll probably stick to it. if (all eps) another studio does a west coast game and want to use the NCR they'll probably just be able to go so how about we says 'oh hey they're a whole bunch of NCR way up coast and they're continue a okay' so we'll just set our game there then, they'd probably be fine with that as well, and then go with that going forwards. From hearing Sawyer talk about when they did New Vegas, seems like Bethesda basically said, hey there's a few locations and things we'd like to keep for our next game, so don't set your game there, or mess around with those things too much, but otherwise like go wild, so I can imagine it would of been pretty similar with this show.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gaspy Conana posted:

i think they played with her conveniently not noticing him doing dork things. especially that early scene with him flying.

Also a lot of people in her vault were pretty dorky, so that's sorta what she's used to. Yeah as a person he may suck, but from her point of view he was one of the only nice people in the wasteland, who she saw trying to do the right thing, even if he failed at it quite a bit. The romance totally made sense to me.

Occasionally thought Maximus was a bit of annoying character to watch just as he was so indecisive about stuff, but the character did make sense to me, and I did like what they we're trying to do with the character and thought the actor did a good job with it, but sometimes it seems like they were just doing the same beats again and again. I get why as sometimes character growth happens slow but it can be a bit eh to watch.

I mean Lucy also had her character growth happen slow but that was actually entertaining to watch.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, the knights have different factions in different parts of the Wasteland, some more fanatical and zealous than others. And then I think each era might be a different shade of good or bad too.

It's not even each era, different chapters of the BoS of the same era can be pretty different from each other. Some more zealous, some more isolationist, some more lets just try and help everyone. It's an organisation that's been around for close to 200 years, and spread over quite a few different places with different leaders, so you get schisms.

But generally they're quite bigoted against anything "non-human", very rule based and structured, and horde technology, that's sort of their core things.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also once you get into the BoS bunker some of the people in it are quite nice! Others are also assholes though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

It makes sense in the BOS's current context but you can't help feeling a bit sad that they've changed into much more pushy assholes than they were before when they were secluded isolationists.

It does make sense that when the BoS chapters leave their bunkers and are living in the outside world more, they increasingly become pushy assholes.

But yeah I liked fallout 1 followed by New Vegas BoS versions most. The other ones make sense, but those versions seemed more interesting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah it's nice seeing them change, but does have a bit of a best intentions things. But like the NCR you can say see from early on that problems are there, and they just sort of keep growing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

moths posted:

I was also confused by that.

And why it needed to be smuggled out in his skull.

Enclave probably has crazy security. So scanning literally everything he brought out of the lab is very possible. He likely just thought that was the safest way to do it without getting caught. Also it's a decent way to make sure you don't accidentally lose it. This was something he was willing to live he's entire life for, and in the end die for, so a bit of pain while injecting it would be a very, eh whatever thing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I just imagine that the 50s aesthetic came back. Like how teen fashion repeats every 20-30 years. In the 2070s, people got really into 1950s style stuff. Then everything got bombed and it was stuck there forever.

It seems to be heavily implied they reached the 50's, went fascist and just never moved on from there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but FO2 has Tool posters.

True, but fallout 2 also has the Dr who Tardis, and the Monty python bridge wizard. I'd put that down to just one of the people working on it really liking tool.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

An antagonist from FONV

Hey, he told me he was the protagonist!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Todd Howard is the real ghoul. 🚬😎

Wait, Todd Howard was The Ghoul all along, and all those other flashbacks were just a red herring?

Wow, did not see that twist coming, but thinking about it, it does make sense.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rougey posted:

Maybe, but he also mentions a problem with the welding (creating a weak spot that is easy to penetrate) and proceeds to exploit said weakness

They did at least bring up previously he knew about how that particular type of power amour was a bit poo poo and got a bunch of his friends killed, so at least it wasn't exactly an out of nowhere thing.

But yeah I was fine with it, because as said the show obviously at times was working on very video game logic, which they had some great subtle gags about, and it fit the over all vibe of the show.

If the show had been going for a much more realistic tone may of been a bit out of place, but who wants to see a "totally realistic" take of loving fallout. You can still make it a bit darker and serious and still have it work, but there is still so much inherent goofiness and weirdness in the setting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Diabetic posted:

Did I miss something at one point? This show put a pretty big revelation about Vault-Tec Dropping the bombs, not China or the US.

I figure a lot more discussion about that but what do I know?

I thought that had been hinted at before? It's certainly not surprising that Vault-Tec might want to set the timetable for the apocalypse. It fits pretty well with vault-tec in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe Amazon did that so they can show it in China?

That would be incredibly unsurprising. Who the US were at war with isn't really a detail that's important at all to the story, so I can see why they might just sorta gloss over it.