Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My favorite part of Genesys was when two healthy 20-somethings, along with cyborg ally who is only cosmetically impacted by the infirmities of age are debating which point well within their lifetimes they should use their time machine to travel forward in time to the exact date of in order to prevent judgement day.

I knew the baby-easy solution to the problem and I was hollerin' it at the screen until an usher dragged me out of the theater so violently I nearly spilled my soda!

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe2Agl3bJAc

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Kyle Reese might not be John Connor's father!

I like this guy's channel even if I don't agree with all of his takes. This one on the Terminator is cool, as are the ones on The Shining, Fight Club, Seven, and M Night Shymalan's stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqihe3Q71KI

isaboo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 30, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't give a poo poo about making sense of the rules of time travel because there are no rules, Kyle being John's father is narratively satisfying and that's all that matters. Trying to outsmart the movie in order to make some arbitrary time logic consistent is hella missing the forest for the trees.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

If Kyle's not the father I want the paternity issue settled on an episode of Jerry Springer.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Back in college for a comics writing class, I wrote a pitch idea for a Terminator story where Skynet learns that Kyle Reese is the father and starts sending Terminators back in time to end that bloodline.

One such mission has the Resistance sending a guy back to 1943, where we find out one of Reese's ancestors was a guard at Dachau (and a particularly nasty one to boot). I liked the idea of the moral dilemma where Reese's lineage came from something pretty horrible, but the future of humanity seemed that this shitheel needed to survive.

My professor gave me a B, but said "Dark Horse isn't going to take a solicitation for a licensed property."

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Back in college for a comics writing class, I wrote a pitch idea for a Terminator story where Skynet learns that Kyle Reese is the father and starts sending Terminators back in time to end that bloodline.

One such mission has the Resistance sending a guy back to 1943, where we find out one of Reese's ancestors was a guard at Dachau (and a particularly nasty one to boot). I liked the idea of the moral dilemma where Reese's lineage came from something pretty horrible, but the future of humanity seemed that this shitheel needed to survive.

My professor gave me a B, but said "Dark Horse isn't going to take a solicitation for a licensed property."

I'd add another twist in that "Reese's ancestor" is killed and the camp in such shambles that a camp victim takes his uniform and assumes his identity to lead other survivors to freedom across the Swiss frontier, surrenders to American allies, or something.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Having to hide out from a Terminator during the Holocaust has some story potential.

033124_2
Mar 31, 2024
it's bites are too small

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i never really cared about terminator past my adolescence, so my general perception of the series is framed by a developmentally-arrested media landscape where it was just another trilogy with 2 good ones and a bad one. salvation hadnt come out yet and back then not every notable property got milked in perpetuity. so for me its really just 2 movies, and like evil dead its the exact same movie on different budget tiers, with intrinsically linked tonal differences. alien/aliens comparisons are also easy to make.

honestly just fix the john connor character in t2 and its the perfect action movie. a different actor, different writing, different direction, something, anything. i just loving hate edward furlongs performance of an already annoyingly written character and if you fixed that, as long as you could get over the key conceit of father figure t-800 then it would be practically flawless.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Apparently we were very close to having an actual actor in the part, but alas

quote:

Prior to Terminator 2, not only had Edward Furlong never acted before, he had no ambitions to become an actor either. That was until he was discovered by casting director Marti Finn at a Boys' Club in Pasadena, California. Several child actors had auditioned for the role of John Connor, but none had felt "streetwise" enough for the part. That led Finn to try and find a non-professional, which she did in Furlong. When she approached him, Furlong gave her the kind of too cool for the room attitude she had been looking for.

To top things off, Furlong's personal story mirrored John Connor's in some notable ways, in that he had grown up without a father and had been separated from his mother. Furlong's casting hit a rocky patch, when his first reading alongside Linda Hamilton went poorly, apparently due to him being intimidated by the veteran actor. James Cameron came close to moving on, but Finn convinced the director to give Furlong another shot.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Apparently we were very close to having an actual actor in the part, but alas

Imagine getting Christian Bale for Connor back in T2.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I like Dark Fate, and out of the sequels, I think it’s the best non-T2 movie. But I think where it falls short is that it doesn’t understand how the dynamic between an unstoppable killing machine and a human creates the tension to keep you interested in the movie. Grace is a badass until her blood sugar gets low, then Sarah shows up and is a badass until it’s time to find Ah-nold, who doesn’t do much until it’s time to replay the energy cell explosion scene from T3. They just hop from character to character and set piece to set piece without any narrative tension. I have to wonder if it would be better to focus an entire movie on old Arnold who gets his rear end kicked a lot like Kyle Reese and has to run, more than fight, to keep his human alive.

I do like how they’ve embraced an older terminator in Genesis and Dark Fate, especially in Dark Fate where he settles down and sells carpet. It’s a lot better than trying to CGI a younger face onto the actor.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It would be even better if they embraced the infiltration unit nature or Terminators and just cast relative unknown actors who could do the physicality and flat affect laconic stuff well since it's implied there's at as many as 100 other t-800 models.

But I get these are transitional fossils from the superstar era and get made because of the name on the poster.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
I really didn't like Dark Fate's conceit of "we defeated skynet and its terminators, but then a *new* supercomputer with the exact same modus operandi appeared, right down to the humanoid robots called terminators."

It did have some great scenes though, the fight between Grace and the Rev-9 in the factory felt properly kinetic and powerful. The way that Rev-9 stands up from the ground conveys an inhuman nature to its movement, like the outer skin is driving it rather than the skeleton inside

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

spacetime is intrinsically linked, you can’t move through either space or time independently of the other. that’s 4 dimensional spacetime, one of the foundations of general relativity

so there’s no absolute notion of movement through time or space. you couldn’t go back in time without also moving through space an equivalent amount and ending up back in an alley in 1984 LA. think of it like hitting rewind on the motion of the solar system

at least that’s what it says on the back of this doritos packet

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Technocrat posted:

I really didn't like Dark Fate's conceit of "we defeated skynet and its terminators, but then a *new* supercomputer with the exact same modus operandi appeared, right down to the humanoid robots called terminators."
I think that was sort of a necessary conceit of bringing in a “new” John Connor equivalent who has no knowledge of her apparently apocalyptic destiny, which is a novel way to spin what’s otherwise an aging franchise constant.

The thing I couldn’t quite wrap my head around was Carl’s dedication to Sarah Connor after he killed John as a child, more specifically the nuts and bolts (no pun intended) of his actions. Like okay I guess I can understand an assassin robot developing a conscience after completing its mission and acting to retroactively subvert its creator, that’s a pretty novel idea for the franchise. Likewise, having time travel “orphans” divorced from their originating timeline is a neat idea that hadn’t been explored before. The thing is, how did it know where and when those other Terminators were going to arrive in the “past”? And more specifically, how could it know about the Rev-9, which wasn’t sent by Skynet and didn’t exist when Carl was presumably sent back?

The one thing Genisys foreshadowed right from jump was that you weren’t viewing the “original” timeline from ‘The Terminator’ and that timeline fuckery was afoot: the T-800 endoskeleton designs are subtly but intentionally different from the “classic” model from the prior 4 films. The ones in the future war prologue are different, Pops is different, and the “1984” Arnold is different.
What would have caused this branch/change isn’t explored, and given that John Connor gets mugged in the future war bit right as Kyle goes back in time implies that no other time travelers are sent after him (such as Pops) which either begs the question of where Pops came from, or if it means time travel doesn’t just create branching timelines, but that there’s a system in place for picking your destination timeline - either Pops was sent to the one that we see play out in the movie, which contained whatever Terminator killed Sarah’s parents, the T-1000 in 1984, revised 1984 Arnold, and Skynet John Connor, or Kyle was sent to a timeline with Pops, the other Terminator, 1984 Arnold, and the T-1000 and then Skynet John followed Kyle to that specific timeline (as opposed to, say, the original one seen in ‘The Terminator’).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

I think that was sort of a necessary conceit of bringing in a “new” John Connor equivalent who has no knowledge of her apparently apocalyptic destiny, which is a novel way to spin what’s otherwise an aging franchise constant.

The thing I couldn’t quite wrap my head around was Carl’s dedication to Sarah Connor after he killed John as a child, more specifically the nuts and bolts (no pun intended) of his actions. Like okay I guess I can understand an assassin robot developing a conscience after completing its mission and acting to retroactively subvert its creator, that’s a pretty novel idea for the franchise. Likewise, having time travel “orphans” divorced from their originating timeline is a neat idea that hadn’t been explored before. The thing is, how did it know where and when those other Terminators were going to arrive in the “past”? And more specifically, how could it know about the Rev-9, which wasn’t sent by Skynet and didn’t exist when Carl was presumably sent back?

The one thing Genisys foreshadowed right from jump was that you weren’t viewing the “original” timeline from ‘The Terminator’ and that timeline fuckery was afoot: the T-800 endoskeleton designs are subtly but intentionally different from the “classic” model from the prior 4 films. The ones in the future war prologue are different, Pops is different, and the “1984” Arnold is different.
What would have caused this branch/change isn’t explored, and given that John Connor gets mugged in the future war bit right as Kyle goes back in time implies that no other time travelers are sent after him (such as Pops) which either begs the question of where Pops came from, or if it means time travel doesn’t just create branching timelines, but that there’s a system in place for picking your destination timeline - either Pops was sent to the one that we see play out in the movie, which contained whatever Terminator killed Sarah’s parents, the T-1000 in 1984, revised 1984 Arnold, and Skynet John Connor, or Kyle was sent to a timeline with Pops, the other Terminator, 1984 Arnold, and the T-1000 and then Skynet John followed Kyle to that specific timeline (as opposed to, say, the original one seen in ‘The Terminator’).

I get what you're saying, but, who loving cares? Maybe it's time to take the concept and do something new with it instead of rousing the former Governor of California awake with signs of money. Or maybe just make a new idea, hold on, with the same concepts, but new characters

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I get what you're saying, but, who loving cares? Maybe it's time to take the concept and do something new with it instead of rousing the former Governor of California awake with signs of money. Or maybe just make a new idea, hold on, with the same concepts, but new characters

Well that’s what I’m saying, Genisys and Dark Fate did do new things with it, they just kind of end up being half-baked sometimes.
I agree that they’ve pretty well mined Arnold as far as they can go, and the man himself seems to agree and has said he won’t do anymore, but all things considered I didn’t have a problem with his implementation in Genisys or Dark Fate because it did genuinely novel things with him (“what if Cool Dad Terminator from T2 stuck around?” and “what if a Terminator grew a conscience, and what does it do as a time travel orphan after completing its mission?”)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Terminator and T2 work in the same way that Alien and Aliens work. And none of the sequels do.

Start with a sci-fi horror premise.
Do enough world building that makes us want to know more.
Genuinely menacing sequences of the killer stalking the prey.
Characters we like get killed off.
Protagonist just barely.
Protagonist learns a lesson and is fundamentally changed as a person.
SEQUEL TIME!
Ramp everything up. Multiply the number of baddies*.
Protagonist now has a motherly instinct for child character and turns into a badass momma bear.
More action, more guns, more shooting, more quips.
Protagonist gotta learn to work with things that she hates because of the first film.
Protagonist and child character barely survive.

*okay so T2 only had one major baddie but factor in the police, the hospital guards etc and I think it counts.

Alien 3 is the only sequel to either franchise that I at least kind of like. It's deeply flawed but it took our protagonist from 2 and put her back into what should have been a horror film. What could possibly be a scarier premise than 'Alien, but now you're trapped with an Alien as well as any number of rapists and murderers, try to get them to cooperate with you because they will all die if they don't but they might just be monsters that don't give a poo poo if they die'?
Except it's largely an action film, like all of the Terminator sequels.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Quote-Unquote posted:

The Terminator and T2 work in the same way that Alien and Aliens work. And none of the sequels do.

Start with a sci-fi horror premise.
Do enough world building that makes us want to know more.
Genuinely menacing sequences of the killer stalking the prey.
Characters we like get killed off.
Protagonist just barely.
SEQUEL TIME!
Ramp everything up. Multiply the number of baddies*.
Protagonist now has a motherly instinct for child character and turns into a badass momma bear.
More action, more guns, more shooting, more quips.
Protagonist gotta learn to work with things that she hates because of the first film.
Protagonist and child character barely survive.

*okay so T2 only had one major baddie but factor in the police, the hospital guards etc and I think it counts.

Alien 3 is the only sequel to either franchise that I at least kind of like. It's deeply flawed but it took our protagonist from 2 and put her back into what should have been a horror film. What could possibly be a scarier premise than 'Alien, but now you're trapped with an Alien as well as any number of rapists and murderers, try to get them to cooperate with you because they will all die if they don't but they might just be monsters that don't give a poo poo if they die'?
Except it's largely an action film, like all of the Terminator sequels.

Terminator is a good movie and so is Alien, but their sequels suck, and are are boring

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Terminator is a good movie and so is Alien, but their sequels suck, and are are boring

T2 and Aliens are both very good films but both are inferior to the Terminator and Alien respectively.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Quote-Unquote posted:

T2 and Aliens are both very good films but both are inferior to the Terminator and Alien respectively.

come on my friend

Apr 3, 2024
these people and the easy button. good lord talk about robo-addicted

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

040224 posted:

these people and the easy button. good lord talk about robo-addicted

yeah that would be cool

Apr 3, 2024

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 3, 2024

Apr 3, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 3, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

I wouldn’t call them inferior, just different in interesting ways. They’re worthy sequels and among some of the best sequels ever made.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

who loving cares?

I have watched and enjoyed all of the Alien and Terminator films multiple times and I think this is the reason why

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Montague Tigg posted:

I have watched and enjoyed all of the Alien and Terminator films multiple times and I think this is the reason why

so have I dude. Most of them have sucked!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

TIP posted:

both versions suck

in dark fate they do something very similar to the one you wanted though

arnie is going to leave his house and then he sees his own sunglasses sitting on a table, so he stops and looks at them, then picks them up, and after a moment puts them back down and walks out

I hated it

The way I pictured it it really would look like he's just giving her some 'cold shoulder' response with absolutely no sign-posting that it's a reference at all (it didn't occur to me while I was actually reading it, for whatever that's worth). More like an easter egg than anything.

Of course, there's no evidence the filmmakers of T3 were at all familiar with concepts like "subtlety" and "nuance" so in all likelihood they might well have interpreted it with a big tension-filled zoom in with a rising chord on the soundtrack while Arnold's slowly rotating his head like the director's personally announcing, "omg watch here it comes he's gonna say it HE'S GONNA SAY IT..... PSYKE!! LMAO FOOL U!!"

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Quote-Unquote posted:

The crane chase is loving brilliant. I think it's probably the best extended action sequence in any of the Terminator films, even, that's how much I think it rules. Watching T2 the other day I forgot how short the LA river chase actually is, even though it's extremely exciting. Buuuuut I think this is where they spent most of the budget because holy gently caress so much of this film looks really cheap. Loads of the sets are barely decorated at all and this is really poorly disguised by having only a couple of camera angles focusing on more or less the same spot.

Arnold paid for the crane chase scene with his own money because the film's budget wasn't large enough and he knew how awesome it was going to be.

Recently rewatched Dark Fate and it's not bad. I know Sarah is supposed to be very embittered and a bit unhinged but Linda Hamilton was a bit too over the top with it.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 4, 2024

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

MakaVillian posted:

I know Sarah is supposed to be very embittered and a bit unhinged but Linda Hamilton was a bit too over the top with it.
It’s her last major role, she knows it, and she was having a great time chewing the scenery.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Alright, I got one. Why did the Terminators invent guns that can kill Terminators? When the T-800 is in a 1984 gun shop and asking for a plasma rifle, and in the future war sequences you see all sorts of high tech pew pew.

We know that stuff wasn't invented before Judgement Day. Presumably humans, nearly wiped out in a nuclear war and surviving like rats trying to fight robots and the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust weren't in a position for any weapons R&D programmes. So it had to be the machines deciding to create better weapons, which in turn gave humans weapons they could steal and use to kill machines. If things had stayed at bullets level, the Terminators would have been able to kill humans while being almost indestructible.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Parkingtigers posted:

Alright, I got one. Why did the Terminators invent guns that can kill Terminators? When the T-800 is in a 1984 gun shop and asking for a plasma rifle, and in the future war sequences you see all sorts of high tech pew pew.

We know that stuff wasn't invented before Judgement Day. Presumably humans, nearly wiped out in a nuclear war and surviving like rats trying to fight robots and the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust weren't in a position for any weapons R&D programmes. So it had to be the machines deciding to create better weapons, which in turn gave humans weapons they could steal and use to kill machines. If things had stayed at bullets level, the Terminators would have been able to kill humans while being almost indestructible.

Skynet, being a military computer made by Americans, just loving loves guns.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

redshirt posted:

What tha hell??

*lightning strikes an old man's dumpster

lightning crashes, an old man's trash
the android opens his eyes

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

We don't get a date for Judgement Day in Terminator, we just know Kyle is from 2029, was born in 2004, and judgement day was sometime before that. Plenty of time for R&D.

But yeah, Skynet should have had a secondary objective of wiping out all weapons that can hurt Terminators and blown up the warehouses the resistance was raiding.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Skynet, being a military computer made by Americans, just loving loves guns.

That and when you really get into it, Skynet just isn’t that smart. It had a massive first-strike advantage and then spent the rest of the war developing increasingly impractical ways to hunt down individual humans instead of making, like, nerve gas and just gassing the entire planet.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Personifying Skynet was a dumb move. Obviously the first AI humans invent won't be a masterpiece with human like thoughts or desires. It's a poorly optimized human killing machine made by a poorly optimized military to kill humans. That's what's great about that line in the first one - You can't reason with these things. They're just machines programmed to kill humans.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

That and when you really get into it, Skynet just isn’t that smart. It had a massive first-strike advantage and then spent the rest of the war developing increasingly impractical ways to hunt down individual humans instead of making, like, nerve gas and just gassing the entire planet.

Say what you can about the Machines in The Matrix, but they at least had the intelligence to use biowarfare to break human resistance after they got them on the ropes. If they can make a biological agent, they can probably cure it, too, so if you want to get cured, just accept the implants and hop into the tube, coppertop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Personifying Skynet was a dumb move. Obviously the first AI humans invent won't be a masterpiece with human like thoughts or desires. It's a poorly optimized human killing machine made by a poorly optimized military to kill humans. That's what's great about that line in the first one - You can't reason with these things. They're just machines programmed to kill humans.

The comics and novels give it a bit more nuance than that which I find interesting - Skynet is a lot more human than it’s willing to admit, full of flaws and problems and self-sabotage. It’s smart in certain ways, but it’s obstinate and limited in its creativity (which is why like all of its front-line troops are iterations on bipedal humanoids, possibly the least efficient way to genocide the human race).
Skynet’s forces can’t be reasoned with, but Skynet itself late in the war in the comics absolutely can be, although by that point a lot of humanity isn’t willing to reason with it for obvious reasons.

What’s interesting is the way the characterization of Skynet’s initial birth has evolved over the years - with T1 and T2 and its ancillary media, Skynet is treated as a scared (but extremely powerful) infant given the keys to the kingdom and the scientific and military personnel that activate Skynet quickly say “oh poo poo, this thing is conceptually scarier than we anticipated, we didn’t think this through” and they try to shut Skynet down and it retaliates in self defense, and once it’s committed to wiping out the humans in its immediate vicinity it decides that humanity as a whole is a threat and goes full Judgment Day.
There’s a really slick fan fiction that was on a Terminator fan site that predated T3 that broke down the initial minutes and hours of Skynet’s activation and the initial failure to rein Skynet in before it launched the nukes, I’ll have to see if I can find it again.

Compare that to T3, where Skynet secretly orchestrated a computer virus that cripples the planet with the hidden objective being that it will be let off the chain to combat the “virus”, only to immediately take control of the nukes and blow up the world when given the chance. T3 Skynet is much more calculating and malicious, and less reactionary than T2 Skynet.

Speaking of hostile AI, I suggest checking out ‘Colossus: The Forbin Project’ (book or movie), they predate Terminator by decades but feature a similar rogue AI taking control of the US nuclear arsenal. The difference is, instead of nuking the world, it attempts to hold the world hostage with the threat of nuclear annihilation, to make humanity worship it as a god.