Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

where is 99
has his goon house finally killed him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

it's also an incredibly easily trolled thread

you reckon? :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I think all threads are easily trolled tbh, you just gotta know the right buttons to push

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
The key to trolling is to get people responding to you enough but not posting anything worthy of getting a sixer.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Actually getting that sixxer is key to a successful troll. Your rap sheet should serve as an index of your trolling greatest hits

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

crispix posted:

you reckon? :)

yeah. I mean just about any thread is successfully trolled by someone deliberately going on the wind up but some threads people can get wound up anyway by more innocuous posts

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Starbucks posted:

The key to trolling is to get people responding to you enough but not posting anything worthy of getting a sixer.

going off in a massive huff after a sixer is praxis

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Snowy posted:

I always liked hanging out with tourists in nyc, they’re so enthusiastic.

Ah wait I see which thread I’m in. A couple decades back I was visiting London with a friend and had a terrible time trying to chitchat with people in bars. In NYC it was easy but there people almost seemed affronted that we tried to start conversation.

This isn't just tourists. Randomly chatting to strangers isn't really a UK thing in general but London in specific. Cultural differences innit.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

yeah. I mean just about any thread is successfully trolled by someone deliberately going on the wind up but some threads people can get wound up anyway by more innocuous posts

99's posts were not innocuous, he was a nasty oval office

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
not to mention his taste in vegetables

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Idk I don't read the bad thread, I never went into the bad thread to read what 99 had said. I always viewed him as a very basic garden variety rear end in a top hat/troll

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

crispix posted:

99's posts were not innocuous

hmm

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he was dangerous, and created an unsafe posting environment

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020
Were his posts removed? I don't see anything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's the stickman comic of the guy pretending to be disabled and being told to gently caress off , except with 99 "pretending" to have Serious Concerns about trans issues. I mean yeah it was successful trolling but also... congratulations? Your prize is that you get to go and sulk inside a Giant L

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's the stickman comic of the guy pretending to be disabled and being told to gently caress off , except with 99 "pretending" to have Serious Concerns about trans issues. I mean yeah it was successful trolling but also... congratulations? Your prize is that you get to go and sulk inside a Giant L

What a totally normal and not weird thing to do.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you don't find "normal" and "not weird" anywhere within the bounds of d&d

consistently huge dickhead though 99 was, he was paradoxically closer to the rules of that forum than any of the posting polycule that currently inhabits the uk thread there

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Poking self important thin skinned peacocks is a national passtime though?

Reading the room is important too, taking the piss out of a gang never ends well.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

feedmegin posted:

This isn't just tourists. Randomly chatting to strangers isn't really a UK thing in general but London in specific. Cultural differences innit.

It's super pronounced among anyone working in London and under 40. I want to talk :(

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
what have you been doing to peacocks

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The noise they make is annoying, sorry.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

what have you been doing to peacocks

*beecocks

E: the animosity between the two threads is pretty funny since they both seem to feature a lot of the same posters and post about a lot of the exact same things. Like, both threads feature British people describing their meal deal lunches, but one of them occasionally posts about Kier Starmer as well. Narcissism of small differences, innit

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 2, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've had total strangers strike up conversations with me on the Istanbul metro to tell me they liked my necklaces, which would be grounds for sectioning on the Tube. Although having said that I once started an argument on the tube with a guy who was loudly and selectively quoting the metro to his wife and being very dogwhistle racist about Marcus Rashford getting an MBE for forcing the Tories to feed hungry kids during the pandemic.

Spending shitloads of time in Turkey has eroded a lot of my British sensibilities about interacting with strangers in the right contexts, but I still feel extremely awkward when I'm with my mum for example who gives absolutely zero fucks about talking to anyone and everyone around her when we're out and about.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish metro...?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish metro...?

lol

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Anyone who seeks to draw you into a discussion about a very sensitive subject is doing so with ill intent. That's why I keep all my serious opinions to myself and just post about monster munch.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean the tube is different IMO. The tube genuinely should be spent in contemplative silence. Possibly the national anthem should be played over the intercom

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

After a while of tube commuting you can do the whole trip from home to work purely on autopilot and arrive without any memory of the journey. Unless some hapless visitor tries to strike up a conversation and shatters your dissociative fugue and you can only stare slack-jawed at them while your brain reassembles reality for you

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I can’t read the Turkish metro because it’s all in Turkish

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

kecske posted:

After a while of tube commuting you can do the whole trip from home to work purely on autopilot and arrive without any memory of the journey. Unless some hapless visitor tries to strike up a conversation and shatters your dissociative fugue and you can only stare slack-jawed at them while your brain reassembles reality for you

When I got home one day last week I realised that I'd done the entire tube trip without even once looking up from my screen, not even a glance

A miracle I didn't fall onto the track, tbh

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

shrek

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shreks don't ride the tube.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
What tube lines are you all taking where you can even hear a conversation at normal volume? I don't like shouting to be heard by people I actually like, let alone some random stranger. A random stranger, incidentally, who's exponentially more likely to be 'Stuart, who forgot his medication for the last three days' than an apple-cheeked granny who wants to know you're eating properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lots of tube lines go above ground at a more leisurely pace for a while m8, it's only once you get to the hellish crucible of Proper London that you get plunged into darkness and cacophony