Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Opening day and the Mets are already rained out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Rhys Hoskins is bush league.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'm at Citi Field and I'm sitting next to Frank the Tank. People have been coming up to him all game for photos and someone just pitched a social media business opportunity to him.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

MrMidnight posted:

Royals going to win the AL Central

Lol. Lmao.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

MrMidnight posted:

I know right

It's ok, I understand losing an away series to your second nl wildcard New York Mets. I hope Salvador Perez is ok.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Mets are now above .500. All hail your second NL Wild Card. Raise the fuckin' banner.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Luis Severino is good again.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I forgot the Mets are on the west coast. I hate West coast road trips.

Also, their City Connect jerseys do nothing for me. I don't think it's terrible, I just don't think it's good either.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

d'Arnaud wasn't hitting at all coming into this game, and in a month he'll be on the DL again. He's a good player, but I'm surprised that he's still around given how much he gets hurt, since the start of the 2019 season he's played all of 402 games.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I only drink Mientkiewicz on Passover.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

davecrazy posted:

Mets might not be total poo poo?

Waffles Inc. posted:

These wins haven’t even seemed flukey—we might just be kinda sorta good?

I've been saying they're gonna be the second wildcard for weeks now! Weeks! Well, maybe a week and a half. They're not beating total jabronis, either. They've taken a series from the Dodgers and a series from the Braves. If Kodai Senga isn't dead maybe they have enough pitching to keep them in it, though I'm not expecting more than one of Manaea, Severino, and Houser to be Taijuan Walker level actually good. The lineup should hit, tho, especially if Baty is actually a MLB quality bat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

And it's a thumb injury, so who knows how he'll be when he gets back. :(

Right now Fangraphs have the Mets projected to play .500 ball the rest of the season and finish 83-79. That'd put them 1 game back of the second wild card spot Brewers at 84-78. I would take a wildcard chase through the final series of the season in a heartbeat considering what I was expecting and what last year was like.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I meant the "reclamation project that actually works out well" aspect from his time with the Mets

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

mcmagic posted:

What a TERRIBLE signing LeMehieu ended up being. Cashman is a truly terrible GM.

Didn't you once claim that DJ LeMehieu was one of the 10 best players in baseball?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

He signed his extension after the 2020 season. Which is when you were saying he was one of the 10 best players in baseball. It's 6/90, which isn't exactly a big contract - especially for a club like the Yankees.

e: Like, if you want to argue it was a bad contract then because there was no way he was actually one of the 10 best players in baseball at the time he signed the contract, sure, that makes sense. But you're basically arguing that you're an idiot and Cashman should be smarter than you. Which, fair enough, I'd hope all our teams GM's aren't as dumb as we are.

e2: Sorry Rockies fans, they're dumber.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 24, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Someone found their copy of a 2002 Mariners giveaway comic book from McDonalds. There's some great panels and I think it explains their 2001 postseason failure.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

gently caress yes Hefty Lefties 4 LYFE.

e: Hoping Former Mets Prospect Pete Crow-Armstrong has a less rocky road to success than Former Mets Prospect Jarred Kelenic. Ofc, if he does end up following the Kelenic path he'll end up making an all star team with the loving Braves in 2028.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 26, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Funny that Mo Vaughn is quoted as saying such a long dinger was impossible because I was at a game where he hit the longest bomb I ever done seen. 505 feet!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Intruder posted:

Grand Strand

I have never heard this and it is loving delightful. I will now use it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, credit to the Astros for keeping him on the MLB roster until he hit 10 years service time. A nice thing to do, and something that other teams haven't done when players have been real close to that mark. I remember it was specifically a point about Mike Magnante in Moneyball that he was released like a week shy of 10 years by Billy Beane. Magnante never pitched in MLB again, and retired without fully vesting.

If this is the end for Abreu he's someone who might have been a borderline hall of fame candidate had he been able to play in the majors from the start, he had a 1.376 OPS in Cuba in his age 22 season, add 5 more seasons like his rookie year to his career totals and he's right near 60 WAR with over 400 HR. A definite member of the Garden of Very GoodTM.