Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Spencer Apartheider

unrelated to that, but in the spirit of opening day:
https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1773370132175241281?s=20

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Sean Murphy to the IL for that oblique strain, so it’ll be Chadwick Tromp time again

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Drake Baldwin would get first crack

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

innately hilarious that the team whose logo is routinely defaced to say "Sex" is the only one who can't score

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

relevant to the thread title:
https://twitter.com/JanePitt/status/1774099776260194580?s=20

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Tatsuta Age posted:

mlb.tv app is just fuckin broken as hell this year huh? I keep getting sent to commercial mid the last at bat every inning (listening to audio, idk if video is working right). frustrating as hell

it's real bad, usually when you get stuck in a commercial loop it's because it's reverted to the start of the broadcast and you have to push it live again. i do not know why it does that.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Rendon is stealing money from Arte Moreno, which is to say he's doing the Lord's work.

Well, not work per se.

https://www.marxists.org/archive/lafargue/1883/lazy/

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Trevor Hoffman also had an all-time great changeup, talking grips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrlnsFk6FXs

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

A's are gonna become the equivalent of a stateless person, like one of those folks who has to live in whatever airport they landed in after their passport and visas got revoked

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The 1899 Cleveland Spiders spent most of the season on the road because other teams refused to travel because of the lack of fan support in Cleveland. Of course that was because of Cleveland purposefully being gutted.

I have to imagine someone floated the idea of the A’s just being a full-time road team for these years, playing at the other team’s park and batting in the “home” half of the inning for 81 of the games. But who wants more home gates against the A’s?

Feels like the first time in ages there’s across of an MLB team folding outright.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

incredibly sad about this, but something was obviously badly off yesterday. ugh.

gonna be leaning a ton on smith-shawver and praying morton and sale (and i guess fried's a worry now too) somehow manage to stay on the field

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

how on earth did Nolan Ryan avoid his arm just falling off? Generic freak, luck of the draw, survivorship bias, all of the above?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

sigh

looking forward to a whole lot more Dylan Dodd starts yessir

genuinely wondering if the new curveball played a role in this

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

LobsterMobster posted:

throw the whole season into the trash

not just this season, the first third of next season too with Fried and Morton gone as well

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

kinda knew once Soroka hurt himself seriously the second time just walking through the clubhouse that things weren't gonna come together for him

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Gonz posted:

Ippei Mizuhara might just be the lousiest gambler that has ever existed. Just absolutely godawful at the whole thing.

And this counts the gambler who slumped over and died on the train after talking about card games with Kenny Rogers.

I mean Jordan got his dad murdered, don’t think we’re on that level yet

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

well here’s to 2025 I guess

hope going with the brace is ultimately the right decision

https://twitter.com/braves/status/1779140182756769897?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I fondly remember Fred McGriff's torrid first month with the Braves, they called him the Fire Dog because there was a fire in Fulton County Stadium I think the day after they acquired him.

the day of, he was only able to play in the game the day he arrived because the press box fire delayed first pitch

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bawfuls posted:

the last time a Braves star player missed a major portion of the season including October, they won the World Series

god I’m not saying the season is a loss or turning off games or whatever and the playoffs remain a lottery ticket but then as now the lineup could more easily absorb the loss of Acuña than the rotation could a top of the line starter.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yuli Gurriel reportedly signed a minor league deal with Atlanta.

why though he seemed pretty thoroughly cooked last year

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

a little discomfited that the Braves are basically sleepwalking so far and have been kept afloat by Marcell Ozuna

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Darius Vines starting tomorrow against Houston. Wasn't really expecting to see him (or Winans I guess) before AJSS or Bryce Elder.

both S-S and Elder really need an unbroken series of starts for a while to figure out where they're at, while Winans and Vines at this point profile as long relief if that

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That makes sense, if they actually needed to win a game I wonder if it's ... idk, Elder?

they'll wait a bit longer for potential service time fuckery but AA doesn't mind aggressively pushing pitchers so the moment they can bring him up I bet Waldrep gets a start or three just to see if he can hang or at least set himself up as an option

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Have there been any pitchers who got dinged for too many pickoffs? I don't remember seeing any lowlights over the past year and change

Reynaldo Lopez did in his first start this year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I dunno, Holliday seems obviously too good for AAA. Too bad there's no AAAA league to send him to

if only you could farm them out to the AL West

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

zoux posted:

Anyone who enjoys gambling should def. take the over

today for sure with Vines out there, probably Lopez gets exposed tomorrow too but really hoping Fried is heading back toward some sort of track

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bring it home grampa jesse

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MrMidnight posted:

drat Bawfuls lol let the Padres fan have some joy

taking it as a sign of worry and vulnerability that dodgers fans would allow themselves to get caught up in divisional squabbling

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

LobsterMobster posted:

As a Braves fan, I don't have a problem with the Astros. Simply defeat them in the playoffs. It's not that hard

I mean it was for a while there

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Intruder posted:

his line is almost identical to jose abreu lol

gotta say Abreu looked real bad

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

I just found out that Ozzie Albies has a separate Instagram account just for his fish and it’s him just being a big ol goober about his fish and it’s the most :3: thing

https://www.instagram.com/ozziesfishes?igsh=MW56ZzR4MHRvY3VndA==

always glad to see Ozzie’s fish come back around again, one of the purest things in the sport. Braves should give him more money on principle but specifically for more fish

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Most major leaguers have had some form of lasik surgery by their mid-twenties.

which doesn't mean much for someone in their late 30s, lasik often can't fix presbyopia

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

pinstripes but make it as gray and impersonally cruel as a riker’s stay

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/jayhaykid/status/1781492421513339038

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

The 2023 Chicago White Sox might be the worst baseball team I've ever seen

really have some hopes for this, maybe they fizzle out like last year’s A’s but eventually someone’s gonna make a real run at the ’03 Tigers for worst team this century and this Sox squad just might have what it takes

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

the marlins are obviously worse than last year and will struggle in the east but they're better than this at least, all those one-run games they won the first half of last year are going against them so far

the rockies are pretty goddamn bad but i don't think tigers bad

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Elder's coming up to start tomorrow, hope he doesn't suck

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Max has three career 9-inning shutouts and they're all madduxes, making him now tied for the current active lead with, as I'm sure we all immediately guessed, Shelby Miller

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

you could make a pretty solid team out of just the IL for April so far

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

AJ Minter is tied for the major league lead in pitcher wins along with 3 starters and equally randomly Reed Garrett, who has picked up wins in more than half his 7 appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/marc_normandin/status/1783565376128696822?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A