Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
i love you baseball but also i hate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I have the shirt Branson made with this bird's face and the quote "What can they do? Kill my son?" and watching people really take it all in is always an incredible experience.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The funniest possible outcome is players hoarding old uniforms even as they visibly come apart on them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

New Yorkers making trash can cheating jokes when they only just learned what a trash can actually is

We've known about cans, it was the idea of "dumpsters" that still eludes us.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Yankees coming back from a 4-0 deficit and actually holding the lead on the road to win was purely unfathomable in 2023.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I will die for Juan Soto

Hell yeah brother.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yankees...ok?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My team's on pace for 162 wins and 11 runs per game.

You mean there are teams not doing that?

162-0 club checking in.

Eric the Mauve posted:

"My team's weak link is the bullpen" -- absolutely every baseball fan in the world

It is hilarious in every league-wide poll how every fanbase thinks their manager is below-average at bullpen management and nobody trusts their closer.

Captain Log posted:

I hear ya. But considering how scary the rest of the Dodgers roster is at every angle, you'd think they'd have someone who deserved an insane closer walkout. I thought they should have thrown a bag at Hader. Philips is legit, but his set-up men are pretty meh.

I think Dustin May should eventually get moved to the role. He is terrifying and filthy, but his mechanics cannot support being a starter without blowing his arm out every six months.

Evan Philips is really underrated, though.

I am baffled at what happened to Vesia last year. Dude looked like absolute nails in 2021/2.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

"Bryan Abreu's suspension thrw off his schedule and cost the Astros the third game of the season" is what he'll bang on about next :v:

this is a joke i just wanted to make that "bang on about" pun, Intruder is cool

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I’m sorry. Just so embarrassing to watch those crowds.

They're not going to be better in Vegas.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Juan Soto fixed the Yankees, 162-0 is on

They’ve literally never looked this good against Houston lol

Amazing how having an actual LF seems to matter?!?!?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Kerry was a decently regarded prospect when they called him up last year, wasn't he? There's definitely AVG risk given his K%, but I don't think anybody doubted his power.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ozymandius1024 posted:

I can't speak for everyone, but I had my doubts that he was a flash in the pan in 2022 in the minors. He came out of nowhere that year (he wasn't ranked in the top 30 Tigers prospects in either of MLB pipeline or Baseball America prior to 2022). He wasn't known as an amazing defender and it was going to be tough for him if the bat wasn't amazing.

Ah, interesting. I mostly saw fantasy-related stuff about him last year and it seemed pretty positive overall, seemed like there was more consensus than I guess actually existed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Man, Baddoo looked like one of those absolutely wild Rule 5 gems for a minute there. You always gotta root for them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

General Bullshit posted:

Why did the A's send down Esteury Ruiz? :stare:

Because they are bad people.

Like, Ruiz is bad at baseball in most ways but you cannot with a straight face tell me that Tyler Nevin is better.

It is almost still shocking how openly the A's want to broadcast that they're not trying and don't care at all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Shota Imanaga pitched 6 innings: 9 strikeouts, 9 flyouts

May the wind forever blow at his back

An incredible job of living up to the scouting report exactly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

It does seem like splitters are starting to get a bit more popular than changeups in the last couple years?

There have always been guys who never got the hang of a changeup, but found a splitter much easier to deploy as their offspeed pitch (related, I absolutely hate how splitters are categorized as a fastball in the larger pitch classification taxonomy), which also had an advantage of being a generally rarer pitch so batters were a bit flummoxed. With the success of the forkball/splitter guys coming over from Asia (where the changeup is actually the rarer offspeed!) I wonder if the novelty advantage will go away.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 2, 2024

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are they still? I haven't heard anyone seriously use the original term "split-finger(ed) fastball" in years. Everyone I can immediately think of hearing talk about it in the recent past talks of it as an offspeed pitch/breaking ball. I don't know how the pitch tracking systems do things though.

Oh actually BaseballSavant has it in the Offspeed group now, I must have misremembered.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Splitters are also notoriously "sreaky" even among feel pitches. It's hard to get a reliable, repeatable grip on the ball with your fingers where they need to be, and if it doesn't drop, you're throwing literally BP fastballs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I still don't understand the difference between a cutter, cut fastball, and slider most of the time these days.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

two-seamers and sinkers are basically the same thing. They start up and then drop at the last minute. Those perfectly located ones are works of art

https://x.com/pitchingninja/status/1772721901770564091?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

Mike King mastered this last year, how anyone puts a bat to that is beyond me

Bryan Mitchell thew a 2-seamer once that was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and made me absolutely dream on him so much harder than he deserved.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fast Luck posted:

The Orioles won 100 games last season and their prospect pipeline is so stocked that ownership would have to be really bad for their window to close too rapidly.

Kind of? Their prospect pipeline is a lot of position players who are not really much younger than the guys they have already playing those positions.

They should be trading those dudes for aces, like they did with Burnes, and I guess there's no reason to assume the new ownership group won't do that, but I don't think they can just coast on the farm passively.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Lol the rest of the teams are going to have to give them so much revenue sharing money

Fisher has actually gotten the league ownership to completely demolish the small market team myth, which is a pretty hilarious side effect.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

My least favourite MLB stadium so far would be Yankee Stadium or Miller Park. Functionally Yankee Stadium is perfectly fine, easy enough to get to and in/out but aesthetically it feels like being in a lifeless concrete bowl. At least it's in the Bronx and not a suburb stadium. Miller Park is located outside Milwaukee in a sea of parking lots and leaving after the game is a high risk activity because 50%+ of the drivers are hammered still.

I like Miller pretty decently, but yeah, I hate how it's in a sea of parking. I also wish they have designed the exterior walls differently in the OF because even with the roof open, it can feel a little closed in.

Yankee Stadium is fine, the problem is the team hasn't been good enough to really associate it with big moments since it was built, and also the concessions are still trash even though they have gotten markedly better on the food end of things in the last few years. But like, old Yankee Stadium was a more cramped concrete bowl, it just had ~history~ about it.

Poque posted:

Trop's the worst I've been to. I liked Coors quite a bit, and Petco is fantastic. It's funny to see Angels Stadium mentioned as worst here (I've never been) because their spring training facility is absolutely gorgeous.

The ones I'd most like to visit for the first time are Pitt and SF.

Angels Stadium feels dated in a non-charming way like say, Wrigley sometimes can. Great food and drink options though! (Also another stadium in a parking lot sea with nothing around it.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

don’t apologize to me, that’s by far the worst thing about Dodger Stadium

It is a shame because it is otherwise a perfect baseball oasis (food needs improvement too but that’s less of an issue imo)

If they put a metro line thru the Ravine it would be perfect all around but we can’t have nice things

I am a big time Dodger Stadium defender because people conflate the actual field with the parking way too much for my taste, it's a beautiful place to take in a game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Starsfan posted:

The quote was "We're excited to be here for the next 3 years, playing in this beautiful ballpark - But also being able to watch some of the greatest players in baseball whether they be Athletics players or Aaron Judge and others launch homeruns out of this most intimate ballpark in all of major league baseball for the next 3 years"

I love a quote where the full context actually makes it worse.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It's absolutely what happened, but I also think Fisher probably outright lied to the other owners about how liked up Vegas was, and from the results of the vote in KC, the whole thing may have backfired.

EDIT: Fisher looks wholly incompetent, Oakland comes out looking like the better party who were unfairly treated, and cities have pretty much told owners to get hosed in every public "Money please!" stadium deal since then.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 5, 2024

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vertical Lime posted:

https://x.com/yankees/status/1776037145032982806?s=46

now why did they think they could play a game in an eclipse

Boooo, I assumed the timing was intentional and there would be an eclipse party in the middle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fast cars loose anus posted:

Lots of real good sports team owners involved in this whole A's thing (Ranadive owns Sutter Health Park)

It rules that none of these people can name anybody on the A's.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Well Played Mauer posted:

The Lasagna is once again cold :hotpickle:

Wild that his most recent appearance was his best looking one so far. Although I guess that's probably correlated!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1776250969568776400

I like the font and the skyline in the bell on the hat, but the colors and gradients on most of the City Connect unis really don't do it for me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

was this the philly connects?

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1776249825320636888

Looks like the uniforms for a Blast Ball team in Starship Troopers

Yeah, It had a couple other photos from different angles. I guess that explains why I couldn't get it to embed properly!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also the pitch was a ball anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

howe_sam posted:

Imo, an odd decision considering the glaring questions about Ceddanne's bat.

Listen, the Red Sox have had a Rusney Castillo shaped hole in the org for years now.

Bregor posted:

I don't know a single thing about anime and you can't make me learn

Amazing avatar/post combo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Speaking of (Throwing) Armageddon:
https://x.com/aria1exander/status/1777415366672798144?s=46&t=ywFxcrbWhCCHyr-qE6DyhQ

What's really wild is this is the only source for this. Everybody else has picked it up as a news item citing this dude (who is a Houston-area anchor) but somehow nobody, not even the Astros beat writers, has actually confirmed it or gotten an answer why?!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

I notice the L in Alexander has been replaced by a 1

e: henley has a career 5.13 ERA in the minors, surely there's someone else they could give a spot start to if this is true

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1777441967728660766

A very confusing afternoon of baseball news.

EDIT: Henley isn't even on the 40-man!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 8, 2024

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1777727304854106513?t=I3oQneQRbmoLrSBJUYRNaw&s=19

:rip: every elbow

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fast Luck posted:

Teams all have MRI machines in their facilities now, can they just give pitchers scans after every game? Of course it seems like every time a guy with some wear on the elbow tries to rehab instead of surgery they end up still needing TJ

I don't think teams have MRIs, it's a lot more work to have one of them sitting around than an X-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

explosivo posted:

Anyone else here playing Helldivers 2 and did a double take when the new order was on planet VERNEN WELLS?

I had a hearty chuckle.