Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Anyone know anything about this Yatagarasu show? "Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai"/"The Crow Does Not Choose the Lord"? The trailer didn't exactly wow me but I am down for some fantasy politicking. Fantasy anything that isn't an isekai, really.

Captain Invictus posted:

Also it loving sucks that Re:Monster is getting an adaptation. It was inevitable, but it still sucks

Was it, though? Was it really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh lol Endorph beat me to the moviefight. And picked a bunch of the same shots too.

Well hell, might as post it anyway.

Wolf in forest shot is a classic. In 2008 it's distant, looming, inscrutable. In 2024 it's ugly as hell and doing a weird rearing howl for no reason? 2024 feels like a big animal where 2008 feels like a Princess Mononoke god.

So both OPs feature a sad Holo scene about 2/3 ~ 3/4 of the way through, but they differ in I think kind of interesting way. The 2024 scene is a short progression from sad to happy with her ears perking up as it goes (which is why she has all that empty space over her head). The 2008 scene starts with a long shot of her curled up in a chair at night, before cutting in to this close up of her looking absolutely miserable. I don't think I actually agree that 2008's Holo is more gremlinish, at least not as far as this episode goes- there's not a lot of gremlin energy in either version. Where I do think 2024's Holo feels flatter is that 2008 is a lot more interested in playing up her melancholy and yearning, and this is I think emblematic of that.

This scene with the cart inspection outside the church is a lil interesting, not for its content so much as how it starts- 2024 has a short sequence where Lawrence spots the church and makes a couple of curious grunts. 2008 cuts straight into the conversation. I noticed this three, four times in the episode? Where 2024 has expository/scene setting dialogue, or opens a scene with Lawrence looking at a thing or trundling towards, 2008 often prefers to jump directly into the meat of it. 2024 feels a lot more worried about the viewer getting lost between scenes, which feels kinda unnecessary given how straightforward the plot here is.

2024 Holo got loving robbed. Her 2008 version gets a building-sized effigy while she has to make do with tiny little dolls? What a rip-off!

I think in general, whenever it comes to depicting the village and village culture, 2008 beats the ever living piss out out of 2024. 2008 wants the village to glow, to feel vibrant and prosperous and alive. 2024 wants it to dissolve into the landscape.

It's Chloe! Chloe's here. And that guy whose name I've already forgotten. Chloe's pretty compelling, I think? She's got desires and ambitions and an emotional tension with Lawrence. And a cool loving mask, I love thing Guy person doesn't have any of those, I don't think; he's just there to underscore the things the mayor said about the Earl's new farming techniques making the village rich, and how the village has lost faith in Holo as a result.

They're also both identified with Holo in some sense- Chloe very explicitly, in a bunch of ways, and the guy with the jerky. I might be stupid but I don't actually know what that association is doing, narratively, in 2024? In 2008 it's obvious: Chloe is the Wrong Holo, jerking Lawrence around to realising that he wants to hang with the cool hot wolf chick that woke in his cart more than her even though she is offering to be everything Holo is in a socially-acceptable package. In 2024, none of that is there, so: ???

Not a serious note but I do like the fact that 2024's coins look like they could plausibly have been stamped out of a die. The 2008 ones look... sculpted?

I do think 2024 does solid work with the "Holo under the moonlight" scenes. Holo is flatter in the dialogue, I'll grant you, but she's incredible in motion. She feels otherworldly, imposing, menacing- like, all the energy the forest wolf god in the OP should have been bringing is present here. It features 2024's only instance of Good Horse Animation. Everything is there. About my only complaint is that 2024 goes for a lot of green in the background where 2008 is very clear that all the light here is blue blue blue.

Back in the mayor's house things are a little more mixed. Holo being revealed as Lawrence drops back into bed is a lot more fun than her popping out from under the covers, and the final shot of her lit up by moonlight is... 2008 picks vulnerable, where 2024 goes with imposing again, and I think vulnerable is the right call. Also, the composition reminds me of Phryne before the Arepagus? Which is a painting I like, so 2008 takes it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Yatagarasu kicking into high gear this week. :toot:

Neither Yukiya nor Asebi have made particularly compelling protagonists thus far, but I'm loving the crown prince.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6SY0NzE9o

aaaaa it looks so loving good