Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

If Spice and Wolf merits a thread title I think it also merits a siren.

Seconding. Also, while I'm not a big kaiju person, all of my friends who are are salivating for Kaiju No. 8. And most of the listings I see online are putting it at least somewhere in their top 10 most anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I just did a bounce off of One Room, Hiatari Futsuu, Tenshi-tsuki after watching the first episode this morning. It's innoccuous, fairly standard, and looks to be covering the same well-worn ground as Senko-San. If it's what you're in the mood for, it should serve you well.

I'm keeping it light this Spring. Other than the return of Delicious in Dungeon and Urusei Yatsura, I'll be watching these:

Astro Note

Henjin no Salad Bowl (A Salad Bowl of Eccentrics)

Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf (Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf)

Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? (Train to the End of the World)

Tonari no Youkai-san

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
They're finally remaking the true classics.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Only if it's pumpkin-spiced.

Stink Billyums posted:

he's just performing a service

I saw this page last week and couldn't stop giggling. Naturally, it's getting an anime, And I'll be watching it.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Stink Billyums posted:

the beginning is pretty funny, but after it uses up the obvious jokes of osamu dazai as an anime protagonist it becomes a lot more standard isekai.

That's unfortunate, but I'll at least give it a chance. I've got 10 shows of interest this Summer, so if it turns out dull I can drop it and still have plenty to watch.

One thing I am not dropping in the forseeable future is Train to the End of the World. (I still think the more direct translation Where Does the Doomsday Train Go? is a better title for the show.) The start of this story is fascinating to me, the animation and music are first rate, the characters quirky without being over-the-top (so far), and I'm looking forward to how this tale develops.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I almost forgot that I watched the first episode of Astro Note. (I think it got leaked.) Not horrible, kinda "Maison Ikkoku" meets "My Favorite Martian." Some over-the-top characters, but there's enough understated ones to balance for now.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

deimos posted:

I caught that too, but then thought "why months?"

Maybe because it started from a gently caress-up in a new telecommunications system and mobile phone contracts are monthly? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Studio Apartment Angel: One look at it and you realise it's a wish fulfilment anime. I mean, what kind of boy doesn't want to have a cute and nice girl living with them? Buying living expenses for 2 persons with a part time salary will put a dent on your saving account though.

Like I said before, it's Senko-San, angel edition.

As for that swooping video around the castle... :barf:

Doodles fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 4, 2024

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
"Salad Bowl" is okay. Generic. Average. Not going to use a three-letter word here. If it came on the TV while I was having supper I'd let it play.

nielsm posted:

I don't remember Senko-san having undressing scenes, though.

That's the only other thing distinguishing it besides swapping the tail and ears for wings.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
It's "My Favorite Maison." It just needs the female lead to sprout antenna on occasion and I'll be unable to hear the male lead in any other voice but Bill Bixby.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

So... Similar premise, except for different target demographics. Senko-san is for some workers that want some comfort and healthy dose of sweets after exhausting day at work

The angel is for school boys. The first few minutes and camera angles makes it obvious.

Bingo. Taking a more wholesome story and lewding it up is a time honored tradition in mass media, and this is done so ham-handed that it breaks kosher.

quote:

Salad for Eccentrics: Interesting. It reminded me of Sasaki and Peeps from the previous season. Instead of middle aged salaryman and magic bird, we have a detective and magic princess. I think the artstyle does look similar.
Oh, now I understand what had me put off by the series. It really is a similar vibe so far. Given how that show ended up, not the best thing to be reminded of. And like the angel show, lewds where it isn't necessary. It didn't really need naked spear fishing or some of the other items shoved into it, and it would be better without them.

My suspicions are that the Fall & Winter were such treasure troves of riches that it dropped my tolerance levels for the same old BS. My list was short as it was, I dropped the angel show after one episode, and I'm likely to do the same here. My autism has me strolling down a tunnel of restoration videos of late, and when I'd rather watch this video of a French dude fixing up an antique whetstone than your anime, it's not the best of appearances.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Sponsored by Beano.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

I stopped the angel show too. It was just the same old, same old. Was the spoiler about naked spear fishing pertaining to Salad for Eccentrics?

Si.

quote:

Ugh. I don't know if I'm getting old or the joke is getting old. Probably both. But I find I'm less tolerant of stupid ecchi shoehorned in for a cheap, easy laugh.

Also si.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GateOfD posted:

Picking up Astro Note to my list, never read maison ikkoku, the humor does seem a bit retro style
But I do like these "live in boarding house job" type setups.
If you like setups like that, then Maison Ikkoku is right up your alley. Hell, it's probably the progenitor of such tropes, given that it's from Takahashi. There was an anime made of it as well, but I don't know of it's availability. Given that they've remade "Urusei Yatsura," maybe they'll do a remake of that one too.

"Ranma 1/2" first, though.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I've only watched the first two minutes of "Tonari no Youkai-san," and I'm already utterly charmed by it. In for the long haul.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Gotta say, the latest episode of "Train to the End of the World" was fun.

shrooms

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Tabletops posted:

Y’all obviously didn’t see sasaki and peeps ending last season. It’s worth watching just to see the most cursed ed ever made

It reminded me of all the old stop motion TV shows Rankin Bass did for various holidays.

This is not a good thing.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

haypliss posted:

Masterful Cat is a good sol and SYD was a pretty popular comedy back when it was running.

I liked Masterful Cat. It wasn't the greatest show, but NoHands toned down their usual eccentricities and turned in a decent result.

As far as the hair in this new show, I think they watched one episode of "Frieren" where Sense was depicted and went *pffffft* "We can do that." I may end up watching just because it could turn out to be the kind of "trainwreck at a clown college" series I enjoy for the spectacle.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GateOfD posted:

Monday: lv2 Cheat & Wolf, Spice & Wolf, 7th Prince isekai
Have you given "Train to the End of the World" a try? It's been truly exceptional these past four episodes.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

astro note: yo what the gently caress is going on with the art. why's it look like that. the drawings are low-res & upscaled and there's some sort of bad interlacing on them too, so you lose detail on the drawings. the animation isn't even great to begin with but how'd they gently caress that up. i like the idol character, and that's about it. this show wants its characters to be kooky oddballs, but they forgot to make them kooky. this is failson ikkoku

I decided after last week to drop it. It's not horrible, just dull. A promising idea executed unimaginatively.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Sleng Teng posted:

A lot of shows would be much improved if they did this, to be honest

Unless the main character is a spider. Then you want to wish all the side characters into the cornfield.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I read the first couple of chapters of the manga for that, then stopped because I figured anything this funny was bound to get animated or I'd eat my shorts.

If they do justice to the action, and the trailer suggests they will, this'll be the must-watch for Winter '25. Cup noodles will be required dining during each episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Indeed. And look what else is having S2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441v-JXm0CE

Summer 2024: NieR Deer Beer