Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

the woke gamers have cancelled Balatro

The jokers are wokers now

Vermain posted:

it's mostly died out now, but there was a brief period where multiple people were making feature length youtube videos combing through yandere simulator's codebase to point out things like 1000 line if/else logic chains and other first year programming "don't do this" oddities

But why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

It's programmed 'poorly'

But the game rules, so who loving cares

I took two years of computer science in high school and this looks pretty much exactly how they taught us to write the games we made. They did it by the book, wild twitter coders just aren't used to formal academic coding.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

I took two years of computer science in high school and this looks pretty much exactly how they taught us to write the games we made. They did it by the book, wild twitter coders just aren't used to formal academic coding.

If there's no hello world in there and no ascii penis is it really academic coding

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's only academic coding if the entire thing is stitched together with halfhearted "gently caress it, i don't know what's causing this poo poo, here's a bandaid fix" snippets

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vermain posted:

it's only academic coding if the entire thing is stitched together with halfhearted "gently caress it, i don't know what's causing this poo poo, here's a bandaid fix" snippets

I remember turning in a class project where we had to make a simple version of NetHack in Java and the teacher reviewed them jointly with us and in mine he picked a second frying pan and it got equipped and I went "Uuuuh yeah, you can dual wield, cool right?"

He docked me some points for that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Vermain posted:

in game engines like unity, an interactive game element like a card or a piece of equipment is normally stored as its own separate asset that you edit via an interface, which makes it easy to keep track of them and edit them on the fly and makes the game run more efficiently, because all of its game logic (what the card/item/whatever is supposed to do) is contained in that asset. in this case, the balatro devs have hardcoded every single card so that the game first has to check to see what the card's name is and then tell the game what to do based off of that name

to put it into human terms, it'd be like going to the grocery store's fruit section and seeing all your favorite fruits laid out nicely versus going to the grocery store's fruit section to see that all the fruits are hidden inside individual wooden chests that you need to open to see what's inside

it's mostly died out now, but there was a brief period where multiple people were making feature length youtube videos combing through yandere simulator's codebase to point out things like 1000 line if/else logic chains and other first year programming "don't do this" oddities

On the other hand, keeping all the logic code in one place instead of spread across hundreds of asset files can make it easier to do large global changes. It's not like efficiency matters to this thing which is most likely run once per hand you play.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That's it I'm gonna get back to learning to code and make something. It's inspiring.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Reading the code for Balatro is the first thing I did when I found out it was made in the LOVE 2D engine and I found it weirdly inspiring how ugly the code actually is for a game that's so polished and successful. It made me start playing with that engine and not sweating the minutae in favour of just doing creative stuff, which is a far cry from most software engineering jobs I have to do. Most of the people flipping out over the code quality probably are still bogged down coming up with the perfect entity representation for their engine or something.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder how balatro will do in the goty thread

I don't think it would normally place that high for me because I'm not that into deckbuilders but it's pretty good and my list so far is like.........4 games

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

HopperUK posted:

That's it I'm gonna get back to learning to code and make something. It's inspiring.

it's hard but rewarding, especially once you get to the point where all the gears start turning in sync and your motor finally gets going on screen for the first time

you're in arguably one of the best possible times to learn it, since copilot and the like can answer basically any programming question you might have and provide example scripts you can learn from directly. i think a lot of people are discouraged due to AI's ability to whip up code lickety split, but the process of actually stitching all the code together into something workable is still an analog task that requires you to understand programming well enough to know how all the pieces fit

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

HopperUK posted:

you dont even have to code anymore to make things. gamemaker and unreal both offer building block deving

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh wow FF3 has gone by way faster than I expected, I'm already up to the final dungeon. I'm sad, I've been having a ton of fun with this one :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think it would normally place that high for me because I'm not that into deckbuilders but it's pretty good and my list so far is like.........4 games

well it's the only 2024 game i've played so far

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

HopperUK posted:

Why stop at "Hello, World!"?

For instance, how about "Hello, World!" but with Yankee Doodle Dandy stabbing your eardrums via shrill PC Speaker at an unreasonable volume? Why not? By learning to code, the possibilities are endless!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

well it's the only 2024 game i've played so far

Too late the 2024 GOTY has already been declared to be Iggy's Reckin Balls, better luck next year everyone

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Considering this forum and what people here are into, I expect it to rank very highly, even winning game of the year.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
All you need to know about Balatro is that it's a top tier Deckbuilder with large numbers and no microtransactions. Naturally, it was already GOTY 2024 for many people back in February.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

It def feels like a Top 10 game easily, and there's a good chance it breaks the Top 5.

It's just really really good.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think top 5, probably not goty. Elden Ring dlc coming, Dragons Dogma, whatever poo poo Nintendo pulls out of its butt this fall...

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

wizard2 posted:

are there people legitimately annoyed at the Balatro guy's success over the silly code or is it merely "heh! good for him!"

I recall the Regency Solitaire II devs seeming pretty irritated lol

The game works in the end with little to no bugs so its not a huge deal at the moment but it would be a lot of rework if people do find bugs in the future or the devs want to expand the game.

Also everyone who learns programming does this at least once in their career so its more cute than anything imho :3:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

so what does this balatro revelation mean for the Modding Community...

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ends up in more production code than you'd think! The results speak for themselves.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Volte posted:

Reading the code for Balatro is the first thing I did when I found out it was made in the LOVE 2D engine and I found it weirdly inspiring how ugly the code actually is for a game that's so polished and successful. It made me start playing with that engine and not sweating the minutae in favour of just doing creative stuff, which is a far cry from most software engineering jobs I have to do. Most of the people flipping out over the code quality probably are still bogged down coming up with the perfect entity representation for their engine or something.

Why is it ugly? My only reference is teenage tinkering with coding in school and occasionally tweaking code files for games or programs or whatever, with inline help to let me.know what to do or look for. I am limited by my ignorance so I assume "good" code is the kinda poo poo I read and have no idea what to do with. There isn't a variable like DoThingINeed it'll be some function doing poo poo with libraries or other files or like ??? I just don't know.

Whereas a list or nest of if statements is much clearer to my dumb knowledge level of coding, seems like you could work backwards or forwards to find out what's going on.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

I'm sorry but you can't install big titties on the Jokers.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoBestFriendsPlay/comments/1cb7rp9/an_interview_with_josh_sawyer_about_fallout_as/

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

If joker = yes
then
bigtitties = yes

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khanstant posted:

Why is it ugly? My only reference is teenage tinkering with coding in school and occasionally tweaking code files for games or programs or whatever, with inline help to let me.know what to do or look for. I am limited by my ignorance so I assume "good" code is the kinda poo poo I read and have no idea what to do with. There isn't a variable like DoThingINeed it'll be some function doing poo poo with libraries or other files or like ??? I just don't know.

Whereas a list or nest of if statements is much clearer to my dumb knowledge level of coding, seems like you could work backwards or forwards to find out what's going on.

Essentially, there is a line count over which you'll start losing track with this kind of structure, and because the structure isn't well defined you IDE of choice won't be able to help you. So maybe some of those ifs pertain to, say, jokers, and others to numbers, and others to special effects and there's no way to tell except scroll back and forth to suss out the relevant one. Also no garantee one won't accidentally trigger a variable meant for another, or depend on something another accidentally set.

If you code is more structured, it becomes much easier to understand in which context you are, whether you're in a number card or a joker or an effect, and also to prevent those contexts from bumping into each other because clearer boundaries are enforced. Makes it much easier to change a card without the house crumbling down.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

jonkers

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Khanstant posted:

Mostly just the huge files and repetitious structures. It's kind of ugly, but it's not bad code and I found it fairly easy to figure out what it was doing. It's just a very "brute force" style of coding, prioritizing getting poo poo done over long-term maintainability.

Edit: most people who have shipped code would not bat an eye at the code. Students on the other hand, I've found tend to die on every little hill over best practices

Volte fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 23, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

this is how you do beautiful code:

code:
           __
          /'{>
      ____) (____
    //'--;   ;--'\\
   ///////\_/\\\\\\\
          m m

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just finished reading the article and I can totally see how Pentiment was created from a position of healing. I know rope kid is a goon, and it's still so wild to me that someone directly involved in a ton of games I love like NV, Kotor 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and of course Penitement is just right in here part of our community. If you read this Rope, just wanted to say you are appreciated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The main thing that makes me wince is the implication that the functionality of a card is spread over a bunch of different places. So if you want to add, debug, remove, or rebalance a card, you have to edit a whole bunch of tiny snippets scattered around the code base. I'm just imagining all the times they had annoying bugs to track down because they just had a typo in the name of a card somewhere.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Rarity posted:

Oh wow FF3 has gone by way faster than I expected, I'm already up to the final dungeon. I'm sad, I've been having a ton of fun with this one :(

I quit halfway through the final dungeon I think. Let me know how it goes for you.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

oh my god lol embracer is breaking into three different companies

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/embracer-will-split-into-three-companies-including-middle-earth-friends

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jay Rust posted:

Dear balatro community, the xxx nude raunchy sex jokers ONLY balatro mod is cancelled, effective immediately. I am sorry. I had some amazing ideas.

Edit: gently caress

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Always a good sign when your company has “& Friends” in the name

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
worked for garfield

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The main thing that makes me wince is the implication that the functionality of a card is spread over a bunch of different places. So if you want to add, debug, remove, or rebalance a card, you have to edit a whole bunch of tiny snippets scattered around the code base. I'm just imagining all the times they had annoying bugs to track down because they just had a typo in the name of a card somewhere.

The other answers made sense too but this one I can feel. I made a game recently and so many times needed to go back in to tweak things, and while it wasn't coding technically, it was super important to be organized and keep my files in predictable easy to find folder structures for when I inevitably needed to shift things around a few millimeters. Even then I sometimes found it easier to search in explorer for "x keyword" and pull up files with that name. I could've made one big gnarly PSD I used for every card frame type but it would've been so annoying to manage back and forth, plus time spent naming layers and poo poo within that file whereas separate ones can just obviously be for specific things and nothing else and require less detailed micromanaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

speaking as someone who spends 90% of his work time in a debugger, I'd rather fix a bug in a giant if/else chain than some OOP inehritance calamity