Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

well it's the only 2024 game i've played so far

you can vote a 1984 game as goty 2024 as long as you've played it and had fun this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can vote a 1984 game as goty 2024 as long as you've played it and had fun this year

I won't, 2024 or nothing

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Khanstant posted:

Why is it ugly?

Not mentioned yet but the fact that everything is "stringly typed" is a big potential pain in the rear end.
The fact that he has to check stuff like self.ability.name == 'Fortune Teller' over and over is just asking for annoying typo-related bugs, since comparing the strings like means mistakes like 'Fortune Ttleler' won't be caught by the compiler and you won't see a problem until runtime.

It's also inefficient to do all those string comparisons each time but that doesn't really matter here since he's not writing any kind of performance-critical code. For the most part, unless you're writing a number-crunchy simulation heavy game like noita or dwarf fortress, indie-sized games can get away with real bad inefficient code as long as it's not buggy (which also means making it easy to maintain/modify and keep not-buggy).
Yandere simulator was one example of a game that was somehow programmed badly enough for the inefficiencies to really creep in and cause problems.
And of course every AAA game has to deal with that crap because they're always trying to push systems to the limit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

speaking as someone who spends 90% of his work time in a debugger, I'd rather fix a bug in a giant if/else chain than some OOP inehritance calamity

Really depends on what the bug is, if you end up having to make a minor change to every one of the 1000 cases then you will beg for a highly abstracted monstrosity

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yandere simulator was one example of a game that was somehow programmed badly enough for the inefficiencies to really creep in and cause problems.

Another famous case of really poor efficiency: some modder managed to reduce the load time of GTA Online by minutes because he noticed they had missed some very basic optimizations in their loading code

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shard posted:

I just finished reading the article and I can totally see how Pentiment was created from a position of healing. I know rope kid is a goon, and it's still so wild to me that someone directly involved in a ton of games I love like NV, Kotor 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and of course Penitement is just right in here part of our community. If you read this Rope, just wanted to say you are appreciated.

rope kid is a good fella as far as I can tell and we're happy to have him around.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
GotY contenders this year so far are Balatro, Dwarf Fortress, Dune Imperium, Slay The Spire and Hunt Showdown - so basically three games I had on my top 5 last year again, sheesh. I need to mix it up.

Stalker 2 is my #1 most anticipated, Homeworld 3 is a close second.

Tiny Tires looks like an updated Micro Machines clone, which I am 100% down for.

Blight: Survival, Suikoden Remasters I & II, and Beautiful Light all look pretty spicy too, but not in as much of a rush to play them.

Have restarted BG3 for like the 10th time and this time, I *will* progress further than the end of Act 1. Maybe.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

haveblue posted:

Another famous case of really poor efficiency: some modder managed to reduce the load time of GTA Online by minutes because he noticed they had missed some very basic optimizations in their loading code

It wasn't just that they had missed optimizations, they had a bad algorithm that did catastrophic backtracking and ended up taking quadratic time for some simple string processing.
So less that they had missed some basic optimizations and more that they had introduced a bad bug that made it way worse than even totally unoptimized code.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 23, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm playing a lot of Erranorth Chronicles. Something finally clicked and I'm really enjoying it now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One of my top played games this year is Tetris Effect on Switch

Real easy to turn my brain off, plop into bed and hypnotize myself to sleep this way

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best game I've played so far this year is Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also straight up an extremely strong Top 3 contender this year is going to be Helldivers.

Game is just amazing to play with goons, and the ongoing galactic war and updates have been an absolute delight.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frytechnician posted:

Stalker 2 is my #1 most anticipated, Homeworld 3 is a close second.

I am really excited for these two games, but am expecting to not like them until much later on. They will both release pretty broken.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

I said come in! posted:

I am really excited for these two games, but am expecting to not like them until much later on. They will both release pretty broken.

Oh, don't I know it. Can't wait to see what the modding community does with Stalker 2.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strawberry Panda posted:

I quit halfway through the final dungeon I think. Let me know how it goes for you.

I have beaten it on the original NES version abusing save states so hopefully the remaster won't be as painful :v:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

haveblue posted:

The best game I've played so far this year is Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

It was so fun

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Started watching the Fallout show. Seems fairly not bad.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One might even say it’s good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

hatty posted:

worked for garfield

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Steve Yun posted:

One of my top played games this year is Tetris Effect on Switch

Real easy to turn my brain off, plop into bed and hypnotize myself to sleep this way

Playing Tetris Effect before falling asleep is fun, because then you dream of falling blocks and experience the literal Tetris Effect.

gently caress, time to go listen to the soundtrack again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr8fVT_Ds4Q&pp=ygUVdGV0cmlzIGVmZmVjdCB0cmFpbGVy

Amazing trailer

Tetris Effect: the universe loves you, dolphins jump out of the water to celebrate your achievements

Tetris 99: gently caress you I hope you die and I hope you know I killed you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do not look at screens before bed. It’s very bad for your sleep hygiene
Source : my mom I think (doctor)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tetris Effect in VR is an absolutely amazing time, would recommend if you ever get the chance.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Infinitum posted:

Tetris Effect in VR is an absolutely amazing time, would recommend if you ever get the chance.

Finishing Journey mode in PSVR literally made me weep with joy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

Do not look at screens before bed. It’s very bad for your sleep hygiene
Source : my mom I think (doctor)

lcd/led screens are bad (crt too for that matter)
but e-ink screens before bed are very good
curl up in the covers and read a book until you fall asleep, pro tip

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Anyone know anything about this Broken Roads

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder how balatro will do in the goty thread

I don't think it would normally place that high for me because I'm not that into deckbuilders but it's pretty good and my list so far is like.........4 games

A bunch of us had the *demo* on our lists or mentions last year!! It’ll definitely place

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Has anyone tried out the sandland demo? This is, not what I expected, it seems to be some sort of combination of vehicle looter shooter and character action game?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I watched the trailer and it looks like a fancy version of that tank game that used to come with windows.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JohnXuandou/status/1782547214721745008

"Look, it doesn't work that way, but we like your gumption"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Actually it does work that way!

Joel, the Arrowhead dev controlling the war, has to manually award it if it's pulled off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's literally what the final image of the tweet is referring to!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ah sorry I only saw the first 2 cause the twitter embeds are absolute garbage these days

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In terms of sheer number of hours played this year my GOTY might end up being Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising ngl.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DalaranJ posted:

Has anyone tried out the sandland demo? This is, not what I expected, it seems to be some sort of combination of vehicle looter shooter and character action game?

i'm hoping it's good. i think it might be a somewhat shallow game, that some people will still enjoy for the aesthetics and atmosphere.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

when’s Baby Steps coming out? Need that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

As the first third of 2024 comes to an end, it’s a good time to reflect on one’s gaming. For anyone interested in my own gaming adventures, here’s a quick write-up of the every title I’ve played so far this year (I keep a list, for goty thread reasons):

- baldur’s gate 3: got pretty far into act 2 of 3, dropped it when a patch came out that upset my mods, haven’t gone back since. A game I really like but could never love, for some maybe unfair and nitpick-y reasons that I don’t need to get into
- dicey dungeons: a game I didn’t really give much time when it first came out, but on revisit I learned to appreciate a lot, especially the substantial gameplay twists the game introduces on the harder difficulties. Wish the game would shut the gently caress up between runs tho
- fire emblem engage: dropped like halfway through, probably the last fire emblem I’m gonna play in a long time. I’m not disappointed, I just don’t think I like fire emblem
- morrowind: heavily modded. Still rules, still rocks, extremely cool
- balatro: hell yeah
- europa universalis 4, anbennar mod: my forevergame. Every gamer has one
- diablo 4: really boring. Dropped very early, might return to later, maybe if I get depressed again
- elden ring: 100%ing it on a new character in preparation of the dlc. Still a GOATed (greatest o’ all time) game. Also playing through a co-op overhauled modded version with my brother, yum. True gaming.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I do not want to be excited about EUV after the last decade of PDX releases, but man if the MEIOU influence is real we could be looking at their first great game since EUIV

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

- fire emblem engage: dropped like halfway through, probably the last fire emblem I’m gonna play in a long time. I’m not disappointed, I just don’t think I like fire emblem

Replaying the GBA ones showed me that while I liked Path O' Radiance and Endless Monastery Simulator, most of the new FEs have indeed been total dogshit and they should just make GBA games again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Replaying the GBA ones showed me that while I liked Path O' Radiance and Endless Monastery Simulator, most of the new FEs have indeed been total dogshit and they should just make GBA games again

Yup, perfect mix of understandable mechanics, calculations able to be done mentally with a little add risk from crits and engaging length and plot. The games have only gotten worse as they've leaned into the relationships and skill systems; it's destroyed the elegance for a muddled system of maybes and possibilities.