Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rinkles posted:

i'm hoping it's good. i think it might be a somewhat shallow game, that some people will still enjoy for the aesthetics and atmosphere.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's kind of a casual goof off game. Gonna wait for the reviews for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am going to buy sand land right away because fuckin hell i need something to play

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
fire emblem engage is the best one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
thracia 776 is the second best one

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m playing legend of mana and holy poo poo this game looks amazing. This is crazy. And I have to acknowledge that even as a registered hater of the mana series and its overall aesthetic

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I’m playing legend of mana and holy poo poo this game looks amazing. This is crazy. And I have to acknowledge that even as a registered hater of the mana series and its overall aesthetic

it's got incredible spritework for its era and another banger of a yoko shimomura soundtrack. that lady just does not miss when it comes to wistful atmospherics

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What do you think of calling the “Survivors” genre, Bullet Heaven games? To be clear, not my invention.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Survivorlikes

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
if there's Bullet Hell, where you must course an arduous path through the bullets at lightning speed, that implies there's a Bullet Heaven, where you eat garlic and watch the flashing light show :pcgaming:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

metroidvania

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I like it, but I think the ship has already sailed with most people calling them survivors/survivors-likes and it's gonna be really hard to shift the needle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I thought survival games were the ones where you gather rocks and sticks

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've seen Bullet Heaven used before.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It's fascinating how the video game industry constantly comes up with nonsensical genre names that tell you nothing about the game you're playing.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Bullet Heaven doesn't even make sense for most survivorlikes including Vampire Survivors where bullets are not even a primary component of the game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've never even heard of Survivorlikes before today. And how can it be a Survivorlike if no one's starving on a desert island? :thunkher:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

for that matter, you never see a vampire survivor and a vampire in the same room

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the worst name always gets chosen like "shmup" "soulslike" and "metroidvania" you can't fight gamer society

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

What do you think of calling the “Survivors” genre, Bullet Heaven games? To be clear, not my invention.

Good name and I support it. I didn't realise we were calling them anything else

hatty posted:

the worst name always gets chosen like "shmup" "soulslike" and "metroidvania" you can't fight gamer society

Yeah, I like the name "character action" for things like DMC well enough, but Yahtzee came up with "spectacle fighter" like a decade ago and that describes them way better. Never caught on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Steve Yun posted:

I thought survival games were the ones where you gather rocks and sticks

Common mistake, those are survivalikes

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Sorry, pops. I'm not into Roguelikes, like Darkest Dungeon. I'm into Roguelites, like Slay The Spire. Not sure what that Matrix looking crap is????

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A lot of Japanese games have the right idea and treat their genre as an additional tag line. Tactical Espionage Action, Dramatic Adventure.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are walking simulators called in Japanese?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I tried to get into Hollow Knight again yesterday but it might just be too hard for me. I really loved Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, but for whatever reason that didn't seem as punishing when respawning from a bonfire. I definitely didn't play that on hard mode. I love the HK aesthetic, the weirdness, and the music is incredible. Maybe I'll try a little more. Some bug just told me to meet him in Hollownest but who knows where that is lol.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Down and to the right. Guidance is not one of hollow knight’s strong points

It’s definitely harder than lost crown, yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

A lot of Japanese games have the right idea and treat their genre as an additional tag line. Tactical Espionage Action, Dramatic Adventure.

Search action, belt scroller.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

External Organs posted:

I tried to get into Hollow Knight again yesterday but it might just be too hard for me. I really loved Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, but for whatever reason that didn't seem as punishing when respawning from a bonfire. I definitely didn't play that on hard mode. I love the HK aesthetic, the weirdness, and the music is incredible. Maybe I'll try a little more. Some bug just told me to meet him in Hollownest but who knows where that is lol.

I've tried to get into Hollow Knight a couple of times and felt the same way.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I also own and didn't finish Dread so maybe that will tickle my Prince of Persia fancy.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
When you are in the place you are supposed to be Hollow Knight is great.

When you realize you are in the rear end end of nowhere dead end it loving sucks

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You know who I wondered where they went is the actor Bryan Dechart. His and Hank's relationship in Detroit Become Human is the only good thing in that game. But looking at imdb and he doesn't have a credit after Cyberpunk.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

hatty posted:

See also: who cares

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What did they call survivors-likes back when they were the default flash game tutorial games people made?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

I care.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

teethgrinder posted:

Me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Khanstant posted:

What did they call survivors-likes back when they were the default flash game tutorial games people made?

Newgrounds games, like Hollow Knight.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

barbiehorseadventurelikes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1783133869912539521?t=OV2Y11Lz8X5NdoiWW_SB9g&s=19

Lmao

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Ow the Edge, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the replacement is even better

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1783158271400182223/photo/1