Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Helldivers 2 + Balatro are already clear GotYs for me, I have a couple of others, but I either haven't played them enough to really justify their place or they're never going to make anybody's lists but mine.

Runa posted:

I am fully absorbed by Outpost Infinity Siege now that it has a few patches under its belt, it hits the roguelite run-based itch while also satisfying the same sort of creative and optimization impulses that I normally reserve for customizing mechs in Battletech.

I do not expect it to even reach the top 50 of the 2024 goty thread, being essentially a wildly ambitious eurojank game except chinese.

This is exactly the sort of janky game that I love, and would probably slam my face into it if I didn't have so much else on my plate right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I only seem to remember nightmares these days, although I guess 1-2 of them are starting to get less scary to compensate?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Most of mine are the good old standby of "scared I'm going to fail school despite it being years since I've been."

But I did also have "win at arcade games (generic ones, sorry the dream wasn't specific enough) while inside the mouth of a giant white tiger threatening to eat me", so that's at least sort of on point.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1590160/Liberte/

This game sort of did deckbuilder ARPG, but in a janky way (as is the game itself).

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm still hoping that the Triple I Initiative becomes a bigger thing going forward, if it's happening on an annual basis, as at least some kind of minor thorn to the Game Awards. Didn't seem like it made too many waves though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Infinitum posted:

:lol: Asmodee going back to being Asmodee, and surviving another day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVqozczRuuM

I was excited to think that we might see an official Innovation digital adaptation as a result to go along with the Ultimate Edition kickstarter... until I remembered that's Asmadi, not Asmodee. Wrong board game-related company. :argh:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

credburn posted:

Mario does not bleed!!
The blood of Mario is held back by an invisible wall underneath his skin. Why is there an invisible wall there and...

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I like it, but I think the ship has already sailed with most people calling them survivors/survivors-likes and it's gonna be really hard to shift the needle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks for sharing, everybody. As for mine...

January was one of those split months: Eco/Astral Ascent/Roots of Yggdrasil. Eco was at the bottom of my GotY list last year, but this year I'm giving it a dishonorable mention, because after a few weeks of playing, I have to conclude that once again in practice the game never seems to live up to the promise and you end up in a mess of a situation with your neighbors. Which is a lot to ask for a game all about cooperating with a large number of players. It's getting replaced by Roots of Yggdrasil, with the hopes that it will better justify that spot after adding more content during Early Access. Astral Ascent was good but didn't grip me, and I'm hoping to try again with it... eventually.

February through March was all Balatro and Helldivers 2. If I played other things, they were all lost in the sweeping tide of everybody's favorite indie/Triple I successes of the year.

April is problematic fave month as apart from more Balatro and HD2, it was mostly dominated by Millennia and now a return to Dungeons and Dragons Online, of all things.

I also did a little bit of maintenance on some survivors games/roguelikes and did some updates for my AoEII LP, but that's all the big stuff. If I had to rank things today, it'd be...

Dishonorable Mention
Eco

Honorable Mention
Dungeons & Dragons Online (unless I go all-in, long-term for real this time, I can't really justify putting it on the list)

GoTYs
Funny enough, except for AoEII, all of these are actually claiming a release this year, or at least an Early Access release. And even AoEII's releasing some expansion packs.

5. Roots of Yggdrasil
4. Age of Empires II (probably the most subject to change, mostly here by obligation and not having anything else to put here)
3. Millennia
2. Balatro
1. Helldivers 2

Jossar fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 24, 2024