Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should have main-evented UFC 300?
This poll is closed.
Alex Pereira vs Tom Aspinall 2 5.88%
Georges St-Pierre vs Khabib Nurmagomedov 6 17.65%
Mark Hunt vs Dana White 19 55.88%
Mark Coleman vs A Fire 5 14.71%
Mark Twain vs The Tainted Legacy of Americana 2 5.88%
Total: 34 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
sorry, carl

:siren: B-League Round-Up :siren:

PFL 2024 1: Thursday, April 4. 6PM ET, ESPN+

PFL is back for 2024. Things kick off with Heavyweights and Women’s Flyweight. The card has already had some shakeups a week out, so let’s figure out who’s allegedly fighting before any more changes gunk things up.

The main event sees 2022 PFL winner Ante Delija take on former Bellator interim champ Valentin Moldavsky. Delija is fairly well-rounded with good power and decent grappling. Moldavsky has had issues on the ground, losing to Ryan Bader’s wrestling attack by decision, and having gotten elbowed into paste by Linton Vassell’s ground and pound.

The co-main features Denis Goltsov taking on Linton Vassell. Goltsov lost in the PFL championship finals last year to Renan Ferreira. Vassell has lost in two attempts at the Bellator Light Heavyweight title. Which perpetual runner-up will get the win and move one step closer to finally achieving championship gold? My guess is Goltsov, since Vassell is a 40-year old English wrestler, and that’s just a severely unfortunate combination of words.

Also on the main card, Bellator 125lb champ Liz Carmouche meets former champ Juliana Velasquez for the third time, but this bout is three rounds and it is inside the PFL SmartCage! Since moving from UFC to Bellator, Carmouche has won 7 in a row, with 3 wins by TKO and 3 by submission. Velasquez hasn’t fought since the end of 2022, when she lost the rematch to Carmouche. WIll Liz continue her winning ways? Will Juliana have accumulated an insurmountable amount of cage corrosion?

The main card opener sees Dakota Ditcheva face off against Lisa Mauldin. Ditcheva is undefeated at 10-0, including going 5-0 in PFL over the last two years. Granted, she was competing in the Euro series in 2023, and those 3 opponents are currently a combined 13-13. Mauldin is 6-3, with 2 wins last year in non-season PFL bouts.

Down on the prelims, we’ve got Marcelo Golm versus Daniel James having a rematch from last year in Bellator that saw James knock out Golm in the third round. But this time, points are in play!

Also on the prelims, Blagoy Ivanov is replacing Bruno Cappelozza in a clash with Sergey Bilostenniy. Blagoy hasn’t won since 2022, hasn’t won two in a row since 2019, and hasn’t won by stoppage since 2017, back when PFL was still called World Series of Fighting. Bilostenniy does cool stuff like win by spinning back kick, or get disqualified for hitting his opponent in the brain stem. So expect Ivanov to clinch Sergey against the cage for fifteen excruciating minutes.

Former UFC title challenger Talia Santos meets Ilara Joanne, my dude Tall Steve Mowry faces Oleg Popov, while Kana Watanabe takes on Shana Young, and Chelsea Hackett is matched up with Jena Bishop. Santos has lost her last two, a split decision to Valentina Shevchenko and a unanimous decision to Erin Blancfield. Apparently coming up just short against top contenders in the division isn’t good enough to keep your job in this modern, cutthroat UFC.

Mowry is tall and I am apparently dumb enough to let that sway me. I am unabashedly a Steve Mowry fan, even though he had a lackluster fight last time out and did precisely zero things en route to a decision loss.

Kana Watanabe is cool, I hope she does well.

On the prelims without season points at stake, Lucas Brennan faces Dimitre Ivy in a Featherweight bout, while we kick things off at Bantamweight when Bryce Meredith puts his 5-0 record on the line against Ty Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

PFL 2024 2: Friday, April 12. 6:30 PM ET, ESPN 2

PFL is showing off maybe their premiere division, Lightweight. The Light Heavyweights are also here, if you’re into that kind of thing.

In the main event, last year’s 205 lb champ, Impa Kasanganay takes on Alex Polizzi. Kasanganay had a very close fight with Johnny Eblen at the big Bellator champs vs PFL champs event last year. Polizzi is on a two-fight skid, having gotten punched out at the last possible second by Yoel Romero, and then dropping a decision to title challenger Karl Moore. This should be a showcase fight for Impa, since Alex is most known for sporting a temporary Arby’s tattoo.

The co-main features Rob Wilkinson taking on Tom Breese because Phil Davis withdrew. Wilkinson notably tested positive for a big pile of steroids last year, knocking him out of the 2023 PFL season. Breese is on a three fight win streak, most recently winning at PFL Europe in December.

In what should be the main event, Clay Collard takes on Patricky Pitbull in Lightweight action. With Olivier Aubin-Mercier’s retirement, the division will finally have a new champ, and Collard and Pitbull are probably the two biggest names in the division. Expect bunches of punches!

Mads Burnell takes on Michael Dufort in another Lightweight season bout. Both guys have a slew of submission wins, so that probably means we’ll get fifteen minutes of Tepid Kickboxing.

Back up at 205 lbs, former Welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moves up two weight classes to take on Josh Silveira. Both guys lost in the 2023 tournament finals, so they have that in common.

Dovletdzhan Yagshimuradov takes on Jakob Nedoh in another Light Heavyweight contest. Yagshimuradov is on a 3-bout Bellator win streak, while Nedoh hasn’t lost since his pro debut, running up a total record of 8-1. Nedoh won the PFL Europe title last year, finishing all three bouts by first round KO.

The main card starts with FACE SHOE taking on Simon Biyong. I don’t give a hoot or a honk about the other 205ers, I care only for FACE SHOE.

Down on the prelims, we’ve got Bruno Miranda taking on Brent Primus. Miranda most recently lost to OAM in the playoffs, while Primus No Contested with Usman Nurmagomedov. Both guys are solid enough, so the bout should be pretty decent.

Gadzhi Rabadanov faces Solomon Renfro. Rabadanov is on a six-fight win streak, while Renfro most recently lost to Magomed Magomedkerimov. This would mark Renfro’s first fight at 155 lbs.

Next up, my dude Jay Jay Wilson takes on Adam Piccolotti. WIlson is 10-1 with his lone loss coming against Gadzhi Rabadanov, and I just think he’s real neat, while Piccolotti became my nemesis after he defeated my other dude, Mandel “Rat Garbage” Nallo.

Elvin Espinoza takes on Anthony Romero and Marcelo Nunes faces Jordan Heiderman to start the prelims. Those sure are four men.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

carl bless

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Also, I don't care about the circumstances of his reign, DJ is the best fighter of all time he had exactly one deficiency in his game that I could see in hours of watching him fight and no one was good enough to exploit it because they were too busy being poo poo whipped in a variety of ways.

was his deficiency that he just a lil smol guy?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

They should make the gloves glow and turn the lights off in the arena for the second round. They should put me in charge

Cosmic Bowling, but for fist fights. I like it!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Also, I know everyone is hyped up for UFC 300, but I just want to note from PFL: Face Shoe is back, baby!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Clay Collard punches a lot and is cool and good.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

ilmucche posted:

what was this about him getting told he wasn't a samurai?

Rakic said "hey, you know you're not a real samurai, right?"

And Jiri was outwardly calm, but internally was a raging inferno and said "heh, we'll see"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

uber driver sucked me off???

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

guess what fukers, u only have me to deal with this week!

sorry, there's also the karate combat guy

PFL 2024 3: Friday, April 19. 6:30 PM ET, ESPN

Welterweights! Featherweights! Nothing else going on this weekend!

In the main event, we’ve got Andrey Koreshkov taking on Magomed Umalatov in a classic Russia Fight. Koreskhov has been killing it recently, running up a five fight win streak. Umalatov is 14-0, including a 5-0 record in PFL that has been marred by visa issues and fight withdrawals that has kept Umalatov from making the playoffs or championship finals. Umalatov has looked solid when he’s gotten inside the SmartCage, but the question is can he consistently show up?

In the co-main, Brendan Loughnane faces Pedro Carvalho. Both guys are coming off losses, with Loughnane getting knocked out by Jesus Pinedo to keep him from the PFL Playoffs, while Carvalho got groundedly pounded by Aaron Pico. Both guys are decent enough, especially for the rest of the PFL crop, but I’m pretty confident the loser of this fight isn’t making the playoffs.

Next up, former interim champ Logan Storley meets Shamil Musaev. Storley is 15-2, 10-2 in Bellator, most recently punching Brennan Ward in the face last August. Musaev is 16-0-1, mostly beating up no-hoper scrubs in M-1 and Fight Nights Global. Storley will probably attempt to grind Musaev into a fine paste of Wrestled Man, while Musaev is looking to lumpen Logan’s looks with long looping limbs.

Gabriel Alves Braga takes on Justin Gonzales. Braga lost in the 2023 finals, while Gonzales is on a two-fight skid under the Bellator banner. Braga has looked pretty good, and I hate doing this, but heck, he was mostly winning that finals fight until he wasn’t.

Now we get My Main Man Goiti Yamauchi fighting the vile Neiman Gracie once again. This is a rematch that ended super decisively when Yamauchi knocked out Gracie in the second round. Whatever to get Goiti a nice and easy win. Let’s Go(iti)

The first main card bout is Bubba Jenkins versus Kai Kamaka III. Jenkins lost to Jesus Pinedo in the PFL Playoffs most recently, while Kamaka is on a three fight win streak inside the Bellator Circlegon.

The prelim main event sees Adam Borics take on Enrique Barzola. Both guys are former Bellator Boys, with Borics going 9-2, but he hasn’t fought since a 2022 loss to Patricio Pitbull. Barzola is 4-2, riding a two fight win streak.

Timur Khizriev takes on Brett Johns in Featherweight action. Khizriev is 14-0, including his last 3 taking place in Bellator. Johns is 20-3, on a 3 fight win streak, but only his most recent has been at Featherweight. I think Johns is going to be too undersized.

Laureano Staropoli faces Murad Ramazanov in a Welterweight contest. Staropoli went 2-4 in the UFC, but has since then gone 4-0 in Europe, most recently winning at PFL Europe. Ramazanov is 11-0, with a 3-0 mark in ONE Championship. He hasn’t fought since 2022, a bout against Roberto Soldic that was rendered a No Contest after an accidental groin kick. Is Ramazanov going to be too rusty? Is the fact that Staropoli is one of Jamie Pickett’s two UFC wins extremely telling that Laureano isn’t that good? Probably both things are gonna be true. Maybe, I don’t know. I’m getting into the weeds on some dang PFL Prelims.

Don Madge battles Brennan Ward at 170 lbs. Madge’s last fight came in 2022, a third round loss to Raush Manfio. His last win is back from 2021. But hey, he did go 2-0 in the UFC, that’s not bad. Ward returned to fighting in 2022, going 3-1 in that stretch. This is going to be similar to every Brennan Ward fight. Either he gets to land honkin’ big punches, or he gets flummoxed.

Tyler Diamond meets Otto Rodrigues at 145 lbs. Diamond is 1-2 in PFL, while Rodrigues is 1-0 in Bellator. The first prelim sees Romain Debienne face Thad Jean. Romain is 2-0 in Bellator, while Thad is 2-0 in PFL.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Yeah I've cornered a few times and a few dudes ask for it too, usually ice on the back of the neck to perk you back up and refresh you, same thing. The shock of ice water to the crotch is like being slapped. It wakes you up.

I am reminded of Julie Kedzie telling the story of the first time she got ice on the back of the neck, she pooped her pants. Then, since the event was in Russia, she met Putin with poopypants

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

max holloway made me feel feelings about mma and that is rad.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

First fight starting!

And first fight quick 6 KO!

THAD JEAN

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

PFL: it has been ok so far

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I am glad UFC took this past weekend off to recharge and refresh. Can't wait to look up what this weekend has on offering

An Apex show, featuring a main event with the fighters on a combined 4 fight losing streak? One guy hasn't won since 2020?

gently caress.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, here's a super exciting sneak peek of this week's writeup:

There is one fight on this card where both fighters are coming off UFC wins.

what of the white hot fire that is Bogdan, the Bog Man

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Haven't seen it, but The Peaches from The Flop House said the only moments Conor is believable is when he is doing crimes.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Even though Carl makes up some of the names, he writes really good previews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

There is a Rizin card, but it starts at 2AM Monday. Sorry, Sakakibara, but I must regrettably decline