Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

My Spirit Otter posted:

i thought that was only a condition to get whoever the last guy was in place after a thousand votes

Oh, I thought that was a rule for this entire session of congress. I don't know the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As of three days ago,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mike-johnson-motion-to-vacate-threshold-change/ posted:

Washington — House Speaker Mike Johnson said Thursday he wouldn't back a change to the rule that allows a single member to force a vote on whether to oust the speaker, even though he said the threshold "has harmed this office" and the Republican majority.

"Recently, many members have encouraged me to endorse a new rule to raise this threshold," the Louisiana Republican said in a statement. "While I understand the importance of that idea, any rule change requires a majority of the full House, which we do not have. We will continue to govern under the existing rules."

Currently, a single member can force a floor vote on the motion to vacate, which was part of a deal former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy of California made with hardliners in January 2023 in order to win the gavel. Republicans floated changing the rules after the deal ultimately led to McCarthy's downfall in October, though nothing came of the effort because as he said in his statement, he does not have the majority necessary to approve the rule change.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
goddamn, thats incredibly stupid.

imagine being able to change the rule, but not doing it. but by not doing it, you have a chance of being known as the guy who lost his job because of marjorie taylor greene. if she ever learned how to write a bill.... or write

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

imagine being able to change the rule, but not doing it. but by not doing it, you have a chance of being known as the guy who lost his job because of marjorie taylor greene. if she ever learned how to write a bill.... or write

He might expect the Democrats to save him, and they may want to.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

That’s a feature - Republicans choose their speaker by picking whoever said “not it” last.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

OddObserver posted:

He might expect the Democrats to save him, and they may want to.

Government is funded.

Ukraine Aid passed.

Why save him now, especially since a misstep and missing members could elect a democratic speaker?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Flikken posted:

Government is funded.

Ukraine Aid passed.

Why save him now, especially since a misstep and missing members could elect a democratic speaker?

Government is only funded until September.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

thats the longest your government has been funded in years

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd be pretty OK with dems screwing Johnson like that and making the entire party eat poo poo a month or two before elections. What're Republicans going to do, hate them and scream on Fox about dems playing politics? That'd be a slow day at the office for right wing media.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh we would have 4-5 months to figure it out. Increasing the chances of the house flipping.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Flikken posted:

Government is funded.

Ukraine Aid passed.

You have a member of the opposing party who needs you, in a house leadership position, and who can be used to drive a more complete wedge between his coalition and the fringe right. If the Dems can't make lemonade out of Speaker Johnson's situation they should retire from governance

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Flikken posted:

Government is funded.

Ukraine Aid passed.

:decorum:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best political move would probably be to prop him up until just before the elections and then let it all fall apart to remind everyone how bad Republicans are at governing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is today the deadline for Trump to potentially eat poo poo on the $175M bond he put up?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is today the deadline for Trump to potentially eat poo poo on the $175M bond he put up?

There's a hearing on it today, yes. They'll likely toss the knight bond and give him another 10 days to either put the $175m he claims was backing the bond into the court register or an actual proper bond.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And here's NY's theory of the case against Donnie:

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1782417150113694145?t=XIfTbhb-ef_bcxKwj09O7g&s=19

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1782418766388695493?t=sfBsNpwLjyG-Po4pvRzvOQ&s=19

The election corruption thing is the uncharged felony that scales up the misdemeanors.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
In the last week, several major institutions in the liberal education space have carried out aggressive crackdowns against student, pro-Palestine protesters, with Columbia standing out for its ham-handedness. Citing public safety concerns and alleged incidents of antisemitism, the president of the University directed the NYPD to raid the peaceful protest encampment, suspended all arrested students, and expelled them from campus housing. Over the weekend, everyone, including faculty, was barred from campus and, today, all classes were shifted to virtual.

Will be interesting to see if things peter out or if the admin has just inflamed things further. Either way, a terrible look for these universities.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a hearing on it today, yes. They'll likely toss the knight bond and give him another 10 days to either put the $175m he claims was backing the bond into the court register or an actual proper bond.

This one's now over:

https://twitter.com/rscharf_/status/1782431758983504102?t=_WmiLKRO7oC8cC8I9aS_VQ&s=19

Knight being in control of Donnie's money now made the AG happy enough. Makes way more sense now as an arrangement instead of just Donnie keeping full access and going "yep, I still got it" if Knight can't pay.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Will be interesting to see if things peter out or if the admin has just inflamed things further. Either way, a terrible look for these universities.

From what I gather, the Columbia situation is especially full of dipshittery as the nutbag wing of the pro-palestinians that showed up over the weekend weren't even students. So now Columbia is lumping in peaceful student protestors with borderline-harassment types.

The admin definitely inflamed things further - tent city would've petered out. Now there's comedy like this:

https://twitter.com/LyleGriggs/status/1782365796246696294?t=PwFG7BSJJklo1NQ2MSmolg&s=19

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Missing a chance if the fleet of buses haven't been tagged Yale Jail Shuttle by the end of the week

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A university using their own transportation to cart students off to jail is great optics

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If my university did this it would have a full on revolt on its hand. Like, flaming pitchforks coated in whatever nasty poo poo the chemistry institutes could cook up.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

If my university did this it would have a full on revolt on its hand. Like, flaming pitchforks coated in whatever nasty poo poo the chemistry institutes could cook up.

The arrests, or having Jewish students face "go back to Poland" chants?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Playing cops.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Playing cops.

Dunno about Columbia (or Yale, I guess), but some US universitys' police departments are on paper actual cops that have undergone whatever appropriate procedures that entails (except they often end up deferring to real cops for things more serious than drunken hujinks anyway).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

OddObserver posted:

Dunno about Columbia (or Yale, I guess), but some US universitys' police departments are on paper actual cops that have undergone whatever appropriate procedures that entails (except they often end up deferring to real cops for things more serious than drunken hujinks anyway).

This is the case at every US state school I have been or worked at, idk about private schools except that MIT cops were trained police.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The last time universities played cops in Germany… well, :godwin:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

This is the case at every US state school I have been or worked at, idk about private schools except that MIT cops were trained police.

My private university also had real police department with real police.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Same with both NC universities I attended (both part of the UNC system).

How else do you think the UNC system would hide all the actual dumb/criminal poo poo that happens on their campuses?

:(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiny Timbs posted:

A university using their own transportation to cart students off to jail is great optics

The man they honor smiles from Hell.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 22, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Voyager I died in November. NASA undied Voyager I today.

https://twitter.com/NASAJPL/status/1782454277895749857?t=PVxZerHHYBlTAamDhoE8wA&s=19

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-voyager-1-resumes-sending-engineering-updates-to-earth

They figured out an onboard flight data subsystem memory chip died, but the craft was otherwise fine. So they shot it a message to perform that chip's functions on other chips and the craft woke up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/NASAJPL/status/1782454277895749857?t=PVxZerHHYBlTAamDhoE8wA&s=19

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-voyager-1-resumes-sending-engineering-updates-to-earth

They figured out an onboard flight data subsystem memory chip died, but the craft was otherwise fine. So they shot it a message to perform that chip's functions on other chips and the craft woke up.

That's incredible

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
NASA engineers are wizards and I will not hear otherwise.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That sounds like the techno-necromancers from alpha centauri poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McNally posted:

NASA engineers are wizards and I will not hear otherwise.

17776 is a documentary

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spacecraft and payload design is pretty remarkable. Some real "this apple is now an orange" stuff goes on as components wear out and get blasted by charged particles.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Fund NASA!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flikken posted:

Fund NASA!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flikken posted:

Fund NASA!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The story of how the Galileo spacecraft was fixed is pretty cool.

Galileo used magnetic tape for data storage. The tape position was controlled in part by an encoder wheel, with LEDs picked up by phototransistors.

During a close encounter with Jupiter’s fifth satellite, Amalthea, the spacecraft was subjected to intense bombardment of protons and electrons. This radiation changed the structure of the LEDs. The most dramatic example of crystal displacement under hard radiation is the Windscale fire, which you may have heard of before. In this case, rather than storing ungodly amounts of energy that let loose and caused a reactor fire, the effect was that the diodes no longer emitted light that could be picked up by the phototransistors on the other side of the encoder wheel.

Thanks to prior work on the behavior of semiconductor devices in the space environment, this was sussed out and modelled on Earth.

The solution turns out to be annealing the LEDs by passing current through them for long periods of time. The movement of electrons and the heating it causes both act to change the structure back into something that functions to emit light.

Eventually the images of Amalthea were read from the tape and beamed to Earth. Here are a couple of them that function as a stereographic pair, like a “magic eye” image for parallel viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

facialimpediment posted:

That's so loving dope.