Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

wheatpuppy posted:

My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

UPDATE - My (35M) gf (35F) tells her coworkers that we are cousins

I got the genders mixed up the other way for once mostly because I wanted to make a Sailor Moon joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm still a bit hung up on 'having to give clear, concise requests for everyday tasks to my partner is emotional abuse to me'. Maybe because I'm reminded of my upbringing where being asked to do a chore often is about 1 part trying to actually do the chore to 4 parts standing there getting yelled at, especially for any attempt to actually do the chore

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think a lot still makes sense when you realise these people think of themselves as protagonists of reality, and other people not as people but as supporting cast, and they are not talking to a person who has their own life but bringing back an old fan favourite character to salvage the ratings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Donald and Goofy can do better

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I asked a witch doctor for relationship advice and all I got was this loving song stuck in my head.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Biplane posted:

Work is a prison and I trust my fellow inmates only a little more than I do the wardens, which is not at all.

It's this tbh and I think I learned the instinct in high school

Captain Underpants had it right, prison is like school but better funded

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like at this point service staff are probably just relieved if you're not actively yelling and screaming and breaking things for no particular reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wouldn't get milk at a bar, that's probably been sitting at the back of the fridge open for who knows how long.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lots of people apparently do still go Victorian novel levels of crazy over infertility.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neito posted:

Don't encourage self-destructive activities.

1e or 2e, is the key question here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm currently playing D&D for the second time in my life and the DM is using Pathfinder. I'm a wizard.

Which edition?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neito posted:

I'm mostly joking; I find the 3/3.5 design philosophy (which Pathfinder is an extension of) to be extremely uninteresting and encouraging powergaming bullshit.

But also like, a good GM can make nearly any system interesting. Unless the system is clearly the result of mental illness, like Hybrid, or clearly just some weirdo's misogynistic racist fantasy, like FATAL.

Again, depending on edition it's probably a very different thing, since Pathfinder 2e is a major break and apparently styled on D&D 4e instead, which had actual game design. A big problem with a lot of popular role playing systems is that they can be pretty badly designed and put far more work on the GM to actually make them fun, the latest D&D edition is a biggie where apparently lots of people want to play it but hardly anyone actually wants to DM it anymore because they have to basically do the designers' job for them on top of everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

wheatpuppy posted:

I feel sympathy for her having two special needs kids, but to be honest that part had me eyeing her a little askance. She apparently never goes on these outings, not because wrangling the kids is hard, but just because they are "boy" things. Which makes me wonder a) why she can't go fishing just because she lacks a penis, and b) whether they have tried any other more "gender-neutral" family outings like going to the park or something where the boys don't have to sit quietly.

You don't have to wonder that hard, swapping the genders of a story is still a pretty useful thought exercise for a reason.

I've seen that kind of thing before, and it's usually just as well that they never get to have their perfect little daughter because we drat well know the mom will see them as nothing but their little doll for their entire lives.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not surprised you get the most insane poo poo where internet edgelord culture meets genuine mental illness, even just social alienation from checked out parenting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

hazbin hotel: not even once

Even the show makes a pretty clear point about what that character has gone through is pretty horrible and not funny, with obvious trauma resulting from it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

All I can really say from watching the show was that it was okay but kinda cringe tumblr theatre kid esque and seems perfectly engineered to inspire a lot of incredibly weird/horny people to have strong feelings about it that will become extremely funny posts

You're not wrong, it's just funnier when they completely miss the points the show itself makes in service of being drama elementals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

trickybiscuits posted:

Ask A Manager once shared an amazing story about a holiday party featuring magic (I don't know why men think magic is impressive to a date, I know the thing I look for on dates is to be an appreciative audience for someone's hijinks)

Gravity Falls has a great punchline with 'Never date a magician.'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

She just has to recognise that she'll be his Chi-Chi but the waffle house cook is his Vegeta.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Most of those people don't actually have any real taste, it's all just performative bullshit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Quackles posted:

It's a cat colony.

Cats have more functional social boundaries and structure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pentyne posted:

Its interesting, there's the fun side effect when someone in the family finally stands up to the known bully/poo poo person that suddenly everyone else will jump in an go "you know what, gently caress you too, OP is right" so it seems like the uncle decided to seize the moment the finally push back against the aunt leading to what was probably some epic blow-up that just gave him every reason in the world to kick her out..

Not that surprising, family bullies tend to get by in inertia and people wanting to keep the peace, but when the peace is already broken and poo poo's blowing up due to someone getting the final straw, a lot of people are likely to remember the poo poo they've had to deal with from that person and realise they don't have to put up with it for the sake of presuming everyone else liked them.

On the other end, unfortunately you can end up with a lot of overlap where victims of abuse are so used to unreasonable and arbitrary expectations they have a seriously weakened idea of or ability to understand and adhere to more reasonable ones. See how kids who get screamed at for missing a single spoon or not dusting the top of every cupboard end up just not bothering to do chores at all, since they'll get screamed at anyway and at least will save their time and energy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

British PSAs are their own specific horror genre. If you ever have half an hour spare, I highly recommend "Apaches", a short film about the dangers of being a kid playing on a farm which includes both death by weedkiller and slurry pit.

Edit: Oh poo poo it's directed by the same guy that directed The Long Good Friday. We used to be a country.

Australian PSAs are a similar genre, our anti-smoking ads are legendary.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, when I read that the kid wouldn't sit still, was a picky eater, had a lot of oddly specific knowledge, I immediately leapt to "he's undiagnosed neurodivergent"

And it comes off as the very familiar experience nearly all neurodivergent people have of random people singling them out for common neurodivergent traits and taking wildly disproportionate offense at them, seeing them as targeted personal slights.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given it's outright said the friend is vague about it this sounds like a prank.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

My immediate guess is that they're from the UK or maybe somewhere else in Europe because everyone I know from the UK acts like if they have to drive more than 30-45 minutes somewhere, it is an impossibly long drive.

I just don't get how the gently caress you don't meet any family when they're less than 2 hours away. That's a fuckin day trip that you could have done many times over.

There's also small town weirdos who have panic attacks when they see unfamiliar street names.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You cannot rely on someone who will automatically assume you're lying about needing help or having problems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Look, Wildwing Flashblade IS a Disney character, technically.

And Mira Nova is even also a princess!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't be hard to convince them that Charlie Morningstar is an official Disney Princess at least long enough for it to be funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

I don’t know who this is, but I’m guessing they’re either literally Satan or carry a big iron ball with spikes on?
(or both)

To ruin the joke, Lucifer's daughter, basically the Disney Princess of Hell, rocks a crimson suit, star of one of those cartoons that everyone on Twitter is being extremely normal over.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I imagine racism combined with romcom brain makes them think they're on a heroic quest to get OP back with his One True Love away from the weird gross foreign harpy trying to steal him away.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

kakotheres posted:

This is literally my job lmao! I am organizing, rehousing and cataloging a collection of over half a million invertebrate fossils. However, now I wish they were all alive, that would be way better!!

I dunno, fossils seem a lot easier to keep track of and more clean and well behaved.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My Spirit Otter posted:

how is a brazilian cop broke? arent those dudes hella corrupt?

Reading the post, probably by spending beyond even those means.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably potential good parenting there in asking those kinds of questions. The little things matter!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's always rough when parents outright force a kid to be a social crutch for a neurodivergent sibling. It never works and the parents never seem to learn, but it sure as gently caress does destroy any possibility of a positive family relationship.

mystes posted:

Incredible that people keep doing this poo poo

The comments have some interesting conversation; on top of the Disney brained people expecting the happy reunion, I get creepy vibes from the ex-fiance insisting on her forgiving a man who has done nothing to earn it- and as the comments mention, abusers enable abusers. While the story's suspiciously dramatic it does seem a likely thread with people who expect their partner to forgive their lovely parents and relatives also expect the partner to put up with their own shittiness.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 30, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

If you ban weddings, only criminals will get married :smugdog:

Finally, the straights can do crimes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shanghaied posted:

Who knows, redditors think that either Matthew mentioned to fiancée that he had a secret crush on OP in the past, or fiancée just feels that she has "won" after the engagement and doesn't have to be on best behaviour anymore, and is now picking off his female friends one by one, starting with the OP.

That sounds like a horror movie premise. It probably is one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mystes posted:

Well it actually doesn't prevent giving names in kana but I think even parents who would be inclined to give a dumb name wouldn't be insane enough to give their kid a foreign name in katakana

I guess it might not stop parents from giving girls made up names in hiragana

It does stop the most obnoxious trend which was giving unreadable names in kanji where the pronunciation had nothing to do with the way it was written, called "kira kira names" (meaning something like "sparkle names")

Ah, like the English tradition of toffs and towns with long weird names pronounced completely differently because they gave up about 500 years ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

eventually the criteria for who counts as actually japanese will be limited to a solitary rabbit on the moon making mochi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

oh jay posted:

This just made me realize that Light's parents were the real villains of Death Note for giving him such a Tragedeigh of a name.

That would explain a lot come to think of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It always stuck me with the stupid nerd names that there's perfectly good reference names you can have that your kid never even has to know about. But that's not the point. It's just Tragedeigh for a different flavour of brainworms.