Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The best way I can think of bi wife guy doing things is having a small pride flag in his work area and going 'oh it's for my wife' if anyone asks. Just bringing it up unprompted in an unrelated conversation is weird as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This. I'm very likely not to have grandchildren, and it makes me sad. Not because of the Lupin lineage, but because I liked the idea of a little bit of me going on after I'm gone. Like, one of my kids is a social worker and the work they do will help people, so that's also a heritage. But I wanted there to be people who didn't know I ever existed, whose lives still have some infinitesimal sliver of mine.

Needless to say, I don't say poo poo about this to my children.
Well, I think you still get that. I understand the genetic angle, but I think a little bit of you does go on, because you've passed things on to your children but also your friends and family and people you love, and they pass things on to people around them, and they pass things on to people around them. Even online, you're passing things on to people around you, and I think that's valuable.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yeah, that and the memories we have of people and the things they taught us are worth more than the genetics in my opinion. I couldn't care less about some of the DNA I'm carrying. By all accounts one pair of great grandparents I had were incredibly lovely people, and we have so little to do with that branch of the family that when I got married, my dad was happy there was now one less person carrying on our name. Besides, I'm not having any biological children anyways from what it looks like, so passing on knowledge and values is the only thing I can hope for anyways.
Mmmmhm, that's how I feel. And someday people won't remember me, but they'll remember people who remembered me, or however long that chain goes. The little kind and good actions you can do still have an impact, even if you might never know it directly.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It was really classless of you to ruin your own reception that we planned to ruin first
But consider how much everyone would remember them doing that. They've got to establish their legacy, after all.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Neito posted:

It definitely feels like anxietybrain talking; reading the worst possible outcome of an ambiguous phrases is, at least for me, a classic anxiety symptom, as is the complete avoidance of any sort of conversation around it.
Yeah, she says she has BPD, which explains a lot about her reaction, because it can be hard to read any nuance into interactions when you have BPD. This is still basically a situation where her own brain convinced her self-sabotage, though. It seems pretty clear to me her husband only took 5 hours to check on her because when she stayed in the bedroom he assumed she didn't want to participate and was just chilling. Hopefully she can figure out a way to communicate better and participate next time, but I'm also not sure that going to reddit over this is going to help. At all.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'd also request the Timothy story.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

It's wild to me that plantations aren't seen in the same extremely dark and evil light as like concentration camps or SS headquarter buildings are in europe. I guess because the US never really did any sort of purging of pro-slavery culture.
Now I'm imagining a company holding a costume party at a concentration camp, then getting mad when someone dresses as a prisoner.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

But yeah, plantation buildings and surroundings can be quite beautiful, because their ancestral owners built up massive wealth on the concentrated suffering of the human beings they owned and forced to labor for them. I don't think the richness or beauty of the manor can be separated from the suffering and evil that funded it, even moreso than basically any other mansion in history.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I am hoping that means while riding a horse, yeah.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Look I'm sure that's just a weird coincidence, there's no way he conveniently decided to just not pay a big batch of student loans.

And one of the complaints from his mom is that the 15-year-old is not biologically his, so the 15-year-old was either adopted or his current wife had the kid years before meeting him.
He talks about his wife working to provide for her kid as a single mother when they met, and it sounds like her drive and sense of responsibility attracted him to her years later, so yeah, she was a single mom.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'm laughing at all the gold star lesbian definitions and I wish they were accurate because as a lesbian myself the terminology actually really pisses me off. It's the term used for a lesbian who has 'never touched a dick' which as you can imagine goes from playful to genuinely cruel quite fast when you start factoring in things such as sexual assault, people dating guys before they realized they were gay, and transphobia.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

DreamingofRoses posted:

Don’t forget gold star lesbians being biphobic as hell towards the idea of dating a bi woman!
I wish I could forget.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Honestly that one kind of just sounds like someone who never learned to study hitting the wall of college being harder to coast by in. A lot of people have tried to cram the night before a final and it hasn't gone well.

Edit: The weirder thing to me is him going to Reddit about everything.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I mean, there's no one-size-fits-all flavor or autism, but the likelihood that he'd be a people pleaser kinda goes up yeh. Especially if he's high-functioning, the more modern term for that being high-masking. Masking is inherently connected to trying to please the people around you.
Given what he said as he apologized it sounds like the successful tactic his family actually used eventually was convincing him this wasn't as big a deal as he thought it was, he was misreading the situation, and his wife would be okay with it after. In that case, his autism is relevant, but not because he misread the situation from the start. It's relevant because his family might have used it as an 'explanation' for him 'misunderstanding'..

I admit without her confirming this I'm basically writing fanfic of the post, but as an autistic person myself I think it's the most likely explanation for what happened given he was saying his brother told him it would be fine as he apologized.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

idiotsavant posted:

that's why the immediate annulment is kinda weird tho; like if you're actually eyes open going into it you should probably realize that you're going to run into struggles like this, where your dopey spouse doesn't really think things through "right" cause that's how his brain is wired, and you'll probably either have to directly manage the whole thing or just be able to accept what happens with as much grace as you can

tbh kinda sounds like the bride got the rose-colored glasses smacked right off and is maybe figuring out that actually she can't do any of that
Yeah, if my guess is true he likely has figured out that his immediate family members are no longer reliable sources of social debugging, but while his autism means this could be less directly his fault
than the tale as old as time of the passive people pleaser, it's also pretty harshly highlighted the issues OP would have to help deal with going forward.

That said, I'm not sure if she's thought of this that deeply? I'm not saying this to criticize her, you don't need to pass a certain level of deep thought to break things off with someone, it just sounds like this hurt her really badly and she can't even stand being around him right now so she's just taking the move that allows her to separate from him most easily. It's a way bigger legal and emotional mess than if this had happened when they were just dating .

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Midnight Voyager posted:

Okay but... you're acting like big breaches of trust are just to be expected for anyone with autism and I guess that feels kinda crappy to me. It's not rose-colored glasses to think autism wouldn't cause you to hear a no, be pressured into a yes, and then sneak around your wife's back to make it happen. There are plenty of autistic people who do not do those things. It's not just an "oh bother, dopey spouse's brain wiring has done it again!" thing.

And "directly managing the whole thing" doesn't help if your spouse is lying to you and hiding things. What kind of management in this situation would have kept the proposal from happening? Just refusing to allow him to interact with his family?
Right, I'm not really trying to absolve him from blame. He's an adult, he has agency, it sounds like she pretty clearly explained her no to him. If his family successfully convinced him there was a social thing he didn't understand going on, the right move would have been for him to let her know they were telling him this instead of keeping things a secret. I've got no blame for her for bouncing, it just extra sucks for her this happened at their wedding and she realized this was a situation she can't tolerate right as they were legally bound and had already spent the money on a wedding.

Like. She tried to manage it by clearly explaining her feelings to him. That didn't work.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA being pissed at what my wife said to our niece

UPDATE: AITA pissed at what my wife said to my niece

AITAH for waking out on my “adoptive daughter” and telling her everything is her fault

Update AITAH for waking out on my “adoptive daughter” and telling her everything is her fault
Man, this was an unpleasant read. Honestly it sounds like Charlotte/Kelly has been through hell, has behavioral issues from that, and the adults in her life are handling it super poorly. The second OP has absolutely resented her from the start, and is thus inclined to frame everything as her being a terrible person, but the first OP also sounds like he handled things poorly because while it's admirable he was determined to get his niece out of a bad situation, it sounds like he tried to do it by just kind of slipping her into the family without caring what his wife thought, and Charlotelly's understandable behavioral issues and need for extra attention turned his daughter into a glass child who feels like her dad just looks right through her. I trust OP 2's recounting of things less because she's really eager to paint a kid really poorly, but even with that in mind she never wanted to be a parental figure to this kid and the fact she felt cornered into that position has just made everything a lot worse.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

babypolis posted:

I dunno, OP 1 is clearly trying his best. lovely situation for the wife for sure but I think they are working through it as best as they can. Agreed on the second OP tho
My point is more that OP 2 has clearly never wanted to deal with her husband's niece and she frames it as he threatened divorce over it, but I honestly think divorcing 3 years ago would have been the better option. For all the kids as well. Like, sometimes divorce really is the best option!

I also 100% believe she told Charlotte/Kelly that they could dump her back with her parents because it fits the tone she has in her posts. Which is, uh. Not something I really find sympathetic or forgivable. I don't think she's obligated to try and be Charlotte/Kelly's mom, but it's pretty telling she describes this teenager as a master manipulator who tries to act innocent but is really flinging poison around everywhere when she's the one who responded to teenaged misbehavior with some pretty nasty verbal abuse and then tried to present herself as innocent for it.

Like, I don't doubt this kid has grown up in a really fucky environment whose standards she's projecting onto her older cousin in an unhealthy way, and that's definitely something that needs to be addressed, but OP 1 sounds like... he has been working to try to address that via therapy and support. So I'm not like giving him equal blame. The situation with OP 2 just really sucks.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

It feels like, in that situation, wife was somewhat forced by husband into a situation she didn't want. But then.. she did nothing about it but act lovely and spiteful?

Like, sure, husband seemed to disregard her feelings and desires in this situation. That's lovely. He likely feels justified in forcing this to happen because he's trying to save a teenage girl from a bad situation which could have ended in tragedy.

Wife didn't want to have to deal with this and didn't sign up for this and feels like her feelings are being trampled all for a teenage girl. I totally get if she doesn't have the bandwidth or desire to deal with it. In that case, she should have gotten out of the situation immediately instead of growing mean and spiteful over it.

It's a really lovely situation and I feel really bad for both of the children for being caught in the middle of this.
Yeah, basically it's not wrong for her to feel like she got trampled, but her taking it out on a child is uncalled for. Even in her telling of how things went, the kid is 16 and it sounds like she's been living with them for years, so she's definitely been projecting a lot of spite onto a kid who can't help being a kid and can't help growing up in an abusive environment and being traumatized.

I understand feeling like it's really unfair that your only options are to basically divorce and co-parent or deal with an entire extra kid she didn't want and doesn't like, but seething on the situation until she explodes on the kid is the exact wrong option, and it sounds like she's trying to do extra damage on her way out now that she's decided on a divorce as an extra 'gently caress you'. She doesn't have a responsibility to raise Charlotte/Kelly if she doesn't want to, but as an adult she does have a responsibility to not deliberately re-traumatize a teenager that's a survivor of severe abuse just because she's mad at her husband. It's that simple!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tarezax posted:

Why are people writing Charlotte/Kelly when they're only referring to the girl in one of the two stories

They're completely separate stories btw, not the same story from two perspectives. A lot of things may be similar but the first OP has had custody for 3 years whereas 2nd OP says her husband brought Kelly in 14 months ago.
Didn't the last one say OP 1 is her husband and he'd changed details? That's why.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tarezax posted:

Oh the usernames weren't shown so I didn't make the connection when I read that sentence
Yeah, I thought they were two separate stories posted for a similar theme at first but then that sentence made me raise my eyebrows. I was going with Charlotte/Kelly because I don't think either of those are her name but just going 'the kid' is awkward too, and obviously we don't know which specific details are correct but even if she's 16 and has only been living with them for 14 months that means she's been around since she was 14 or 15. It's one of those deals where OP 2 is trying to paint herself in a good light and kind of just fails.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Call Your Grandma posted:

WIBTA if I dump my big, gay horse
Don't horses often use artificial insemination to avoid the risk of injury to the stud or the mare? It doesn't seem like a gay horse would be much of an impediment to that, you'd just need to change up the scents at the humping station or whatever.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

DoctorTristan posted:

Racing horses aren’t allowed to be bred using artificial insemination.
Huh. Is that to avoid, uh, semen scams? Since people pay so much for studding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hughlander posted:

AITA for spending my son's university fund on a trip to Europe to drink beer like I always threatened instead of giving it to his step brother after he passed away.

:therapy: but get hosed ex wife you vulture.
I also don't think there's any real ground to go 'but they're family' if the kid's stepdad didn't claim his as family and didn't want to spend more than the basics on him. Like... it sounds like ex wife and her husband decided it was okay if their sons weren't family, actually.

Horrific thing to deal with, losing a kid so young.