Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

quote:

The world's least observant OP:

I (25F) found my boyfriend (25M) on a dating app and he says it was a joke. How do I deal with this?

Here we are, in a world with televisions, cinema, streaming services and online videos, social media, sports, theatre and travel, newspapers and blogs, an endless torrent of content and entertainment. Yet people still try to explain to their partner that they joined a dating app "for a joke", "as a gag", "because they were bored" :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Congratulations, ApplesandOranges! You found a post that finally hits incredibly uncomfortably close to home for me :toot:
This dude should not respond and in fact should probably just not talk to the ex's family at all, because she was, and they are continuing to, treat him as the backup plan. I know because I was in a very similar situation; my ex would go months, sometimes years without saying a word to me, and then suddenly come swanning in as if nothing had ever happened, stir things back up, get my hopes up (after making sure I was still single, of course). And then off they would gently caress again once the rough patch had passed, and I was left alone again.

No one deserves to be strung along as someone else's Plan B, because you will never be Plan A.

:same:

Most of the situations on r/r are so fantastic (or straightforward situations turned weird by the participants) that I can't identify. But this one also reminded me of the two year period in which two different women would repeatedly drop into my life, vaguely speculate about us going out "but not right now" and then fade right out again. Only consolation was their total confusion when I realized what I was doing to myself and started treating them like the distant but platonic acquaintances they were.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think a lot still makes sense when you realise these people think of themselves as protagonists of reality, and other people not as people but as supporting cast, and they are not talking to a person who has their own life but bringing back an old fan favourite character to salvage the ratings.

That would explain the utter shock and amazement some of the characters in these stories show when others don't just hand over houses / dye their hair and dress differently for a wedding / change travel dates / etc.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Deformed Church posted:

The stress of cheating on my wife is making me ill – but I can no longer suppress who I am

Just from the style, I can tell this is from Pamela Stephenson-Conolly. Her answers are always the same: very short, very generic, "work through it with therapy"

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

mystes posted:

The thing that's the worst about this is that even though he says he has a "plan" it doesn't seem like there's a specific thing like having to work a ton of overtime at work for the foreseeable future. It just seems like he thinks that if he doesn't have to do housework he'll magically be able to do better work and get promoted.

If it was like "I have to work a ton of overtime so can you temporarily take over more chores for the next week and/or would it be okay if I work extra so I won't be able to do as much housework but I'll be making a lot of extra money and we'll hire people with that to clean the house and walk the dogs so we both have less housework to do" it would be a lot more reasonable

Also saying that he shouldn't have to do it because he's slow at it sounds like weaponized incompetence

Adulthood sucks in many ways, because we have to take care of things, do admin, pay bills. It's boring but it has to be done. But there are people who just don't want to do it, who get resentful about it. Sometimes they live alone and their house is always a mess, there's a constant trickle of unpaid bills, a car that's always broken down, and they complain about their bad luck and how other people are so unreasonable.

And sometimes they live with someone and they get to be really good at being bad at cleaning, finding other things to do, or passing off duties with "I'll get to that later / I'm busy right now, can you do it / but you're so good at cleaning ..."

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Blue Moonlight posted:

How has it been literal pages without anyone commenting “That sure beats Super Mario Bros.!”?

Cookie chat is making us all a bunch of slackers.

I did read it and think "Fellas, is it gay to explore your homosexual fantasies with your bros?"

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

How dare you propose during my birthday month, you selfish monster?

Somewhere, way back in a previous version of this thread, there was a story about a woman dating a widower. He would get upset if she suggested doing anything on the day or in the week of the anniversary of his wife dying, of him marrying his wife, his wife's birthday, Mother's Day, their first date ... to the point that he'd excluded about half the year. I think he also was hanging on to the exact furniture and decorations in the exact locations his wife had put them, years ago. Anytime remember that one?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Mx. posted:

people from the UK need to form opinions on important things instead, like the acceptability of knock-off colin caterpillars

People have this incredible amount of affection and enthusiasm for Colin Caterpillar, Percy Pig etc. for them being such generic confectionary with no distinctive qualities at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

PizzaProwler posted:

I guarantee this dude is an engineer

It's an unfortunate truism of so many r/r posts, such that the actual challenge is deciding what type of engineer they are.

And it's not just about relationships. I have quite a few engineers in my social circle and most are lovely but a few are constantly busting out with "I don't know why you / the government / society / etc. don't solve X like this, it's simple", where X can be systemic unemployment, epidemiology, labyrinthine and decades-old ethnic conflicts ...