Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Those are bad souls, so they don't get reincarnated is the cop out answer is guess, which is both lame *and* dumb as an answer.

I read this as "they get reincarnated as cops" at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

The Bible posted:

I read this as "they get reincarnated as cops" at first.

Some people believe that animals get souls as practice before being reincarnated as a human, so that's possible

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

Why assume souls are composed of matter?

I was adding to his conjecture, I actually would not tend to think they are made of matter, nor quantum. There's plenty we dont know obviously; so a personally spiritual answer is probably better than trying to figure out the mechanics of it.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Pontificating rear end posted:

so a personally spiritual answer is probably better than trying to figure out the mechanics of it.

Not really. There's no difference between this and outright fantasy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Bible posted:

Whats yo fan-ta-ta-see

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Whats yo fan-ta-ta-see

Man I love old luda

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

Believing in a spiritual soul is a fantasy? You really think a person dies forever and there is nothingness for all infinity (even though there is actually provably somethingness for all infinity)? Call me the quantum soul guy, but I'm guessing what you believe is a nihilistic oversimplification mostly influenced by conventional physics?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Believing in a spiritual soul is a fantasy? You really think a person dies forever and there is nothingness for all infinity (even though there is actually provably somethingness for all infinity)?

There's absolutely no reason to believe otherwise.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Believing in a spiritual soul is a fantasy? You really think a person dies forever and there is nothingness for all infinity (even though there is actually provably somethingness for all infinity)? Call me the quantum soul guy, but I'm guessing what you believe is a nihilistic oversimplification mostly influenced by conventional physics?

Yes

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Yeah this seems like a bigger stretch than the alternative. With just a little brain damage a person can vanish forever, to say nothing of actual death...

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
No one does or is reincarnated, we move on to the next dimension where we're all butts. If you don't agree it's probably because you're just prefer a nihilistic oversimplification, versus a thing I can't proof.

The onus of proof is on the people who doubt me. Sure, you have evidence that nothing happens after you die by citing all the people that died and then nothing happened, but what evidence do you have to disprove my butt-person theory? None, that's right. Making butt-people really a valid logical option. Checkmate, atheists.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

This butt theory makes sense because butts exist so how can people not become butts? It's solid logic.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We're already part-butt in this dimension, so clearly we've been made in the Maker's image.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you think when they retire a megathread and start a new one, that thread is born with memories from the old one?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Only for those who didn't reach posting nirvana

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It isn't pretty, but given what we currently know, this would seem to be the case.

I'll change my mind if presented good, solid evidence otherwise, but yeah, you are just engaging in pure wishful thinking.

You don't like the idea of a universe in which you will someday completely cease to exist, but your personal distaste for that idea does not make it any less likely to be true.

It certainly doesn't make the Woo you are spouting any more likely to be true. Do you really not see that you're just completely making poo poo up with absolutely no verifiable details at all?

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 19, 2024

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The real fantasy is believing in a consistent self tbh

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a message from the other side!
"Faaaaaaaaaaart"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Too far imo. It was the conventional physics line that did it. I'd have gone with "science communicators" or "youtube physics videos" or something less on the nose. At least, that's what I believe.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

The Bible posted:

It certainly doesn't make the Woo you are spouting any more likely to be true. Do you really not see that you're just completely making poo poo up with absolutely no verifiable details at all?

I didnt make anything up, you expect me to provide evidence of the soul with cited sources on the somethingawful forums, seriously bros? My entire argument literally fell back to "this is all unprovable so believe whatever you want." You guys know nothing more than I do, and the "evidence" everyone ignores is a pervasive infinite somethingness. Even the emptiest vacuums of space are filled with something.

I'm not telling myself this to feel better; this life is trash and dying forever and all infinity would honestly be an eye-rollingly expected conclusion after spending an entire life slapping around in the mud with a bunch of tiny-brained know-it-all cosmic horrors on garbage planet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You don't get to say people can believe whatever they want while also calling a belief you don't like a "nihilistic oversimplification" it's like saying "all flavours of icecream are good, but chocolate is for people who don't know what flavour is" lmao

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Devils Affricate posted:

Who are they reincarnated from? If it's like Mike Tyson or something you're hosed against even just a few of them.

Mike Tyson isn't dead, so these 3 year olds running around with duplicates of his soul are pretty troubling, existentially and metaphysically.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

Mike Tyson isn't dead, so these 3 year olds running around with duplicates of his soul are pretty troubling, existentially and metaphysically.
Maybe souls can time travel

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 19, 2024

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

syntaxfunction posted:

You don't get to say people can believe whatever they want while also calling a belief you don't like a "nihilistic oversimplification" it's like saying "all flavours of icecream are good, but chocolate is for people who don't know what flavour is" lmao

In this case the nihilistic oversimplification is literally nothing. Literally nothing happens when you die. On the other hand, "believing whatever you want" is what everyone in this thread is doing, while condemning it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Ah yes, the "built different" hypothesis, very solid, very good.

PS no one else is saying believe what you want while condemning it they're just saying you're dumb lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I asked our 3 year old what she was in a past life, and she said "A BABY!" very adamantly

seems reasonable; preteen mortality rates being what they have been for most of human history, lots of people have probably just been babies over and over and over

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

In this case the nihilistic oversimplification is literally nothing. Literally nothing happens when you die.

How is that a "nihilistic oversimplification?"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Every time I go to sleep or get put under I am immediately transported to God and we hang out and chat. She is pretty cool actually.

Anyhow if this doesn't happen to you and you just wake up after several missing hours, you just might be a soulless automaton, sorry!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I didnt make anything up, you expect me to provide evidence of the soul with cited sources on the somethingawful forums, seriously bros? My entire argument literally fell back to "this is all unprovable so believe whatever you want." You guys know nothing more than I do, and the "evidence" everyone ignores is a pervasive infinite somethingness. Even the emptiest vacuums of space are filled with something.

I'm not telling myself this to feel better; this life is trash and dying forever and all infinity would honestly be an eye-rollingly expected conclusion after spending an entire life slapping around in the mud with a bunch of tiny-brained know-it-all cosmic horrors on garbage planet.

:chloe:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you believe in aliens, then throw something like a quadrillion more souls into the reincarnation pot.

Or is there some kind of planet exclusive reincarnation path?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You have to unlock aliens by being a faithful Mormon during at least one of your reincarnation stages

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Sceptics my rear end. Been here for 22 years while holding the insane rear end belief that there's a rogue, unconventional physics that the universe really operates by without being well known as the crackpot "secret physics goon"?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

When you eat an orange, where does the flavour go?

It's nihilistic to think the flavour is just gone when the universe is infinite.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

My people tell the story of flavor town, where wll flavours may go after they depart our imperfect bland world.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
The one thing I’m pretty sure of is that we all turn into compost eventually, in some form or another. And compost is generally pretty cool because it helps new things grow.

I dunno, I heard a story on the radio last week about people having family members composted instead of buried or cremated, and it seemed like they were just kinda skipping a step or whatever. But it seemed to make some folks feel more connected to their dead loved ones because they could sit by some plants fed by the compost of their dead dad or whatever. Apparently my great grandma wanted to be cremated and have her ashes spread around her favorite rose bush; I guess it’s kinda the same thing. Circle of life, etc.

naem
May 29, 2011

Ars Arcanum posted:

The one thing I’m pretty sure of is that we all turn into compost eventually, in some form or another. And compost is generally pretty cool because it helps new things grow.

I dunno, I heard a story on the radio last week about people having family members composted instead of buried or cremated, and it seemed like they were just kinda skipping a step or whatever. But it seemed to make some folks feel more connected to their dead loved ones because they could sit by some plants fed by the compost of their dead dad or whatever. Apparently my great grandma wanted to be cremated and have her ashes spread around her favorite rose bush; I guess it’s kinda the same thing. Circle of life, etc.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Similar, but they literally just compost the body. So then you can have your descendants or whoever grow whatever corpse-nuts, etc. they want!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
but then the weirdos who made biodegradable burial pods don't get paid :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

The composting service ain’t cheap neither.