Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Nucleic Acids posted:

Dr. Oz was the harm reduction candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Did an AI write this

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

My first exposure to the idea of land acknowledgements was some podcast for a company that was actively engaging in union busting.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Nucleic Acids posted:

He objectively doesn’t make the top 5, at the very least

Just in modern history, W Bush and Reagan are objectively worse by every possible category.

Trump is middle of the pack. Calling him the worst president ever is astoundingly short sighted

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

This isn't even getting into Andrew Johnson and Andrew Jackson.

Truman is also an underrated pick for the single worst President, as he presided over the Cold War and pretty much built the post-WW2 order.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

World War Mammories posted:

been hearing that Joe Biden deliberately caused Roe to be struck down and is happy that it happened and threw a party that day more and more

I also heard this, because it's true. More people should talk about how Joe Biden deliberately caused Roe to be struck down and is happy that it happened and threw a party that day

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Officer Sandvich posted:

I will boldly state that what is happening both in Ukraine and Gaza is relatively insignificant compared to what will happen to the entire human race for at least the next 50-100 years if Trump is reelected and remains there. If the new tri-Axis corner stone of BRICS achieves stability at least a third of humanity will be enslaved by 2100.

Lmao this is some wild poo poo

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

I can't wait for Genocide Joe's approval rating to plummet even further if we go to war with Iran on Israel's behalf.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

https://abcnews.go.com/538/vote-back-trump/story?id=109090626

The less you vote, the more you back Trump

quote:

And when we broke out respondents by their voting history, we found dramatic differences in whom they support for president in 2024. President Joe Biden performed much better among frequent voters, while Trump had a large lead among people who haven't voted recently. Specifically, among respondents who voted in the 2018, 2020 and 2022 general elections, Biden outpaced Trump 50 percent to 39 percent. But among respondents who were old enough to vote but voted in none of those three elections, Trump crushed Biden 44 percent to 26 percent

I've had this vibe for awhile, nice to see some evidence for it. Trump benefits from higher turnout elections.

And yes, Presidential elections will have much higher turnout than midterms and especially off-year special elections

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

I'm so glad that we elected President Biden in 2020, now the adults are back in charge. Trump almost certainly would've started WW3 in his 2nd term.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1779238564909215911

Blinken isn't just a complete bloodthirsty psycho, he's also astoundingly incompetent

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

So if I understand this correctly... they announced Biden was going to give a statement from the White House and then backtracked and cancelled?

lol

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"unprecedented" what is this loving dipshit talking about

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Excelzior posted:

I legit thought they were funding both :shrug:

Hakeem Jeffries is fanatically pro-Israel, no way would AIPAC bother funding a challenger against him lol

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Willa Rogers posted:

he's not up for a tv speech but he's still working hard, thank u!

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1779289588890010044

80% chance this picture is not from today

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

HallelujahLee posted:

i hate this hack freak but the bottom tweet

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1779296728849457547

lmbo

Trump is so god drat funny lol

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

THIS GUY IS THE GOVERNOR OF loving NEW JERSEY

lmao what the ever loving gently caress is he talking about "closely monitoring the situation" is NJ going to send their National Guard to the Middle East??

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

SgtMongoose posted:

So this means that this:

Was definitely a stock photo.

lmao I'd brag about calling it, except it was incredibly obvious

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

gently caress Bernard Sanders

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Stephen is a loving moron. Reddit atheist brain.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

yellowcar posted:

lol his argument basically boils down to "america isn't belligerent enough"

This is literally always the argument. It doesn't matter what happens, the answer always is "we gotta get more violent, we gotta escalate". Neocons are true genuine freaks.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

For most people, it's pretty much objectively true that their lives were better in 2019 than at present day in most respects.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Probably Magic posted:

I honestly have come around to thinking Biden wins because America has no appetite for change as shown by just copying 2020's match-up and also would never do something as funny as Grover Cleveland Trump. Irrelevant to me, I'm voting Stein either way, and it's a shitshow regardless. But I guarantee I've thought more about what a Biden 2nd term can mean than your average VBNMW. They're all absolutely convinced Trump has already won, they just want an early start on punching left.

It's a genuine race to the bottom. Biden has been god awful and his approval rating sucks. Trump's approval is largely unchanged by contrast and is now consistently higher than Biden's.

But Trump's campaign is kind of a disaster right now, they barely have any money while Biden's having no trouble fundraising. That gap probably narrows closer to the election, but it feels like a coin flip right now.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Another big factor here not mentioned is that the Ukraine invasion probably doesn't happen under a Trump 2nd term

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

AOC is a total nonfactor, a back bencher. She was completely marginalized and then Pelosi deranged her. Regardless of her initial intentions, AOC has no future in politics, she'll remain a backbencher her entire career. Forget President, she'll never even win a Senate seat.

Left-liberals banking on her to "save" the country are wasting their time.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Harik posted:

this is always hilarious because it's true but libs are 100% convinced that putler is best buds with trumo and would have instantly invaded

It's not only true, it's obviously true if you think about the lead up to the invasion for 10 minutes, as well as the timing.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Nichael posted:

I agree to an extent, but Biden has largely done the impossible and seemingly made a lot of Americans care about foreign policy.

The latter scenario is identical to 2016, and once more he gets tons of free media exposure just by being America's dumbest boy.

That's true, his campaign was also a mess in 2016 and it ultimately didn't matter. Because Clinton was so unpopular, kind of like how Biden is now!

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Grapplejack posted:

She's not an op, because if she was she would be being utilized way more to funnel people into traditional party apparatuses.

It's true that Democrats basically shun her existence at every opportunity.

But like I said before, I think AOC's intent matters less than the outcome, which is the same regardless whether she was a naive reformer who failed or a grifter all along.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Joementum posted:

i promise you that i'm not posting this in the wrong thread

https://twitter.com/people/status/1777820792505458738

No loving way

incredible

Never in my life would I have guessed this plot twist

VoicesCanBe has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Apr 16, 2024

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

The Oldest Man posted:

reminder about this lady

can't we all just come together and agree that china bad?

Council on Foreign Relations, World Bank, AND Atlantc Council?

Lmao. Hitting every checkmark you can.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

HallelujahLee posted:

this didnt take long

The United States will reimpose sanctions on Venezuela’s oil and gas sector in response to the Maduro government’s failure to allow “an inclusive and competitive election” to take place.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/17/politics/us-reimpose-oil-sanctions-venezuela/index.html

The election didn't happen yet what the gently caress are they talking about

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Biden went to bed hours ago and they're not gonna wake him up for this

He probably approved the strike at like 3 pm today and then went straight to bed

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Lmao

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

https://twitter.com/Hanine09/status/1780668203167052046

"Do you condemn the INTIFADA?!?"

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

the_steve posted:

Nah, Biden was Kamala's backdoor into the White House.
She was the original establishment idpol pick, but she was such a gaping black hole of charisma that even the Dems couldn't maintain enough kayfabe to thumb the scales for her, so they attached her to Joe once they decided the party would fall in line behind him.

I will continue to swear that the plan was to either MeToo him or otherwise force him out, but they saw how loving rabid the base was to fall in line behind a doddering old white guy with a blue tie that they decided to let it ride instead.

The DNC, its donors, and its media allies were searching for every possible option for a champion to "save" them from Bernard. They pretty much refused to accept that Biden would be the guy to do it until the last possible moment (3 days from Super Tuesday)

Though in their defense, Biden's campaign did look close to dead in the water during Iowa-New Hampshire

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

The moral of the story might be "only South Carolina mattered" but let's be real, if Bernard had hypothetically won SC then the goalposts would have shifted immediately. The same people talking about the need to elevate the voices of black voters would immediately pivot to "oh Bernie won a bunch of conservative voters who gives a poo poo"

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/jewstein3000/status/1780590066978468134

I think about “Havana Syndrome” a lot and maybe that’s because of my experiences. I was immediately made sick from the air around Ground Zero and told it was safe and to return to work. I never recovered. 1/

Since then I have had such severe chemical sensitivity that I’ve had to move constantly and I’ve been gaslit every single time I’ve pointed out gas leaks, mold, pesticide (and where I could, I’ve always been proven right). 2/

I was exposed to the Dominguez Channel chemical spill in 2021 and knew right away the government was lying about it being caused by natural phenomena (and was proven right). 3/

I’ve been exposed to people feeling the need to downplay environmental exposures my whole life, even before 9/11, as a sensitive person.

With Havana Syndrome, we had people reporting similar symptoms in one building then other buildings. They had in common their employment. 4/

The CIA minimized and denied their claims. That was expected. They did the same with Agent Orange.

Yet for some reason, there is a large group of people overly focused on denying these patients who seem to think it’s a CIA-backed story. 5/

And there are people obsessed with denying the claims of people who experienced so-called “Havana Syndrome,” even though it’s a small group of people, not supported by the govt, not really affecting anyone’s lives, 6/

The point I should have led with is this: The people obsessed with denying Havana Syndrome will hide behind politics, claiming that it’s racist, that it’s a CIA story, etc.

But ultimately I think it’s just about the pleasure people get from disease denial 7/

There are whole Reddit communities around calling people fakers who say they are sick.

Tweets that claim disabled people are lying or exaggerating are almost always popular. It’s sport!! 8/

I think it comes from the internalized ableism that is at the heart of all ableism: denying disease or illness or physical weakness or sensitivities etc is a way to convince yourself that you have control over your body.

Control you don’t have! Sorry. 9/

It’s connected to the Door Dash discourse: leftists claimed they cared so much about workers they had to deny the experience of disabled people who said they needed their food delivered.

But that was a cover.

These same labor activists had nothing to say about consuming produce from exploited farm workers, admitted to eating in restaurants where workers disproportionately died of Covid, etc.

The discourse became almost entirely about how the disabled people had to be lying.

And not surprisingly some of the Doordash folks also think it’s fun to mock Havana Syndrome.

This is why political allegiance is meaningless to most marginalized groups. We see how you use the rhetoric of politics to play your favorite game: punching down.

I also think it’s fallen out of favor on the left to deny Long Covid (though people like Natalie Shure still do) because it’s so widespread and there’s no political cover for it. They can’t claim it’s a fiction by the govt.

So that’s where Havana Syndrome stepped in.

But it’s still popular on the left to deny chronic Lyme, despite major institutions like Johns Hopkins establishing centers to investigate and treat it. And other rare illnesses.

At best, the deniers will hide behind “Big Pharma” to create a political cover story for ableism.

FYI dunno for sure the cause of “Havana Syndrome,” but the US has been developing microwave radiation technology since at least the Cold War and there were examples of known tests of it in the year before Havana Syndrome was named.

It's fake hth

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1781736713720565847

Quite obviously a panic reaction to that story coming out about Blinken sitting on evidence of IDF atrocities. Remains to be seen if this sticks or is quietly reversed like the limited sanctions on certain settlers.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did something happen in Congress recently I keep seeing chatter about how the Hastert Rule (yes I know its fake because there's no enforcement to it besides decorum) is dead now

I had to look up what the Hastert rule is (lol congress), but it looks like today's bill did violate it. More Republicans voted against the budget package than for it, so technically they're right? It's a fake rule anyway like you said. As are virtually all the "rules" in Congress.