Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think it's very deliberate that we don't know. Soldiers from both sides wear the OCP Scorpion Multicam pattern*, and Plemmons is not wearing any name tape, unit bage, or flag on his blouse.

My money is on loyalist who's probably going to try to put on jeans and lay low once DC falls. The whole premise is the reporters are trying to race the advancing WF front line to interview Offerman in the trumpennunker so it tracks.

*this is one of my dumbass tactical realism nitpicks, surely the WF would take a bunch of M81 woodland or whatever uniforms out of storage for both the practical and propaganda purposes of distinguishing themselves from loyalist yroops.

The current war in Ukraine has both Russians* & Ukrainians wearing MultiCam.

(Russian special forces)

It got to the point both sides are using colored arm/leg bands as IFF markers.

(Russians)

(Ukrainians)

Also you gotta figure both sides in Civil War consider themselves the "real" America, so they'd want to lay claim of using MultiCam.

*Mainly their special forces units like SSO or FSB. Regular infantry is still EMR or A-TACS FG for camouflage patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is it ever specified or implied who the soldiers were with Jesse Plemons? I know this is intentional (the dialogue in the sniper scene makes that obvious) but I couldn't quite understand the context of what they were doing. Not being American I really couldnt understand the geography at play (i.e. implied forward-lines).

Were they US Government soldiers (i.e. Offerman's troops) carrying out some kind of last ditch reprisals against "traitor" civilians (ala diehard waffen ss at the fall of the nazi regime) as they fell back, or were they supposed to be Western Forces doing reprisals against "traitor" civilians from recently captured territory?

I'm guessing they were supposed to be WF because of the locations of the frontlines but I really couldnt follow the geography at play throughout since I just dont know where any of these places are.

I don't think they're part of either faction but instead a group of violent bigots enjoying their own little bit of ethnic cleansing in the chaos. It's not difficult to get military uniforms or AR15s in the US.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Plemons should have had his shirt open with one of those “Yeah, I’m a certified forklift driver” shirts peeking out underneath.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think it's very deliberate that we don't know.

I agree, and I also think this element of the story is, ironically, the single greatest manifestation of Garland's ideology. What matters is not who was doing the war crimes, or why, but simply that we know they were happening at all. It's the most platonic, useless interpretation of the purpose of warzone journalism imaginable.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Garland's best efforts have been almost anti-human (Ex Machina, Annihilation, 28 Days Later, Devs, Sunshine) where he's exploring existential crises of mankind. When faced with portraying the mundanity of humanity (Men, Civil War) he tends to stumble.

I guess The Beach falls into the latter category but I actually really liked that movie lol

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 13, 2024