Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Being able to find commond ground with (proto) fascists about their "concerns" is not the virtue some people think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Majkol posted:

Being able to find commond ground with (proto) fascists about their "concerns" is not the virtue some people think it is.

I’m surprised Veni can’t tell the difference - that Trump Uncle is concerned about what he‘ll have to do to people, while those people are concerned about what will be done to them.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
So the answer to America's problems is civil war?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Fish of hemp posted:

according to the movie yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People who complain about problems are scary. Why can't they just be happy and content with things exactly as they are, like me?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Was kind of interested in seeing this in theaters, but the more I learn about it the less interested I am; at this point, I'll probably just stream it when I have some downtime in the future.

I listened to Chapo Trap House's review the other day and they make the great point that the entire sentiment that traditional journalism is the antidote to polarization and that journalists are the heroes of our era rings real hollow right now given the whole situation with the press vis-a-vis Gaza and the fact that Alex Garland undoubtedly shares the sentiments of the British centrist press.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fish of hemp posted:

Couldn’t hurt.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Honestly shocked Garland didn't end the movie on this needle drop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOaNSVFX5u0

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The movie also does a loving poor job of portraying the "other side" as your conservative rural uncle you can talk too, given it's entire structure is Heart of Darkness by urbanite journalists into hillbilly fascist territory so I really don't follow that logic either!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

Honestly shocked Garland didn't end the movie on this needle drop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOaNSVFX5u0

so was the podcast.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I don’t think it blurs the lines nearly well enough, but it would have been better for it imo

It could have worked if the American civil war 2 was just supposed to be a generic war with no valence to current divides to say something about conflict journalism or something or even something universal about human nature and war like the Iliad or whatever.

I don’t know, to me that message itself seems like it was greatly muddled by (and this obviously is impacted by ideology, if I was an American liberal i probably wouldn’t see the contradiction) the assumption in that message is that “political” things aren’t worth fighting over and we need to just get along which seems trite to me, but even that message seemed to be muddled and contradicted by him trying to do a heart of darkness/apocalypse now plus also say how important journalists are plus also maybe it’s voyeristic war tourism?

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 28, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That being said imagining any of those smug assholes like John Kirby/Jen Pulaski/Sarah Huckabee Sanders just getting dropped owned

And also really undermined whatever garland was going for

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it was p cool

remember in shooter when marky mark kills cheney?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Owlbear Camus posted:

it was p cool

remember in shooter when marky mark kills cheney?

Best action movie ever made, we shall not see such heights again in our lifetime

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Movie suspension of disbelief for how small the final assault team and letting the journalists get anywhere near them while explicitly planning to give no quarter I had a hard time believing even the most delusional press secretary would try to negotiate with the hostile special forces kill team with exactly zero leverage and seem so confident and not seeming all that afraid they wouldn’t get immediately canoe’ed which is the only possible outcome

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Is it true there’s no Mexicans in this movie, like, at all?

This movie was made to scare the poo poo out of white people, a strategy it shares with Threads, a lily white nuclear war aftermath miniseries set in Sheffield. Threads apparently had an effect on Reagan, so at minimum in that sense it was successful as a political statement.

This movie is radical in the sense that it attacks American exceptionalism. It is otherwise pretty straightforward and would lose its teeth with lovely white people by getting into the weeds of who has the right of it currently.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Watched this in an absolutely chaotic movie theater last night — multiple people on their phones, kids laughing all the way, grown rear end dudes repeatedly standing up to move to a different seat. Symbolic of our political moment :v:

Anyway I can’t believe it’s the same dude who played Pablo Escobar. In hindsight I can believe it — dude is intense — but he looks so different.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The pacing was really good. And the acting though I found Dunst’s character incredibly unlikable but I think that was a problem with the writing.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I thought that was kinda the point

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

yeah knowing the authorial intent of a paean to war journalists and then seeing the broken, venal characters on screen was a wild mismatch

the goon who said garland shot ace in the hole somehow all the while thinking kirk douglas' character is heroic nailed it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Name Change posted:

This movie was made to scare the poo poo out of white people, a strategy it shares with Threads, a lily white nuclear war aftermath miniseries set in Sheffield. Threads apparently had an effect on Reagan, so at minimum in that sense it was successful as a political statement.

You're thinking of THE DAY AFTER, it's not likely Reagan ever saw THREADS.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Threads is really good. I watched it a couple years ago when the looming nuclear war seemed like it was closer to happening and it was perfectly horrifying

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Really that's just what semi-urban England looked like at the time, not a lot of set dressing needed.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I thought that was kinda the point

I think we’re supposed to still root for her and Mora, like YEAH THEYRE ASSHOLES BUT THEY GET THE JOB DONE because maybe the movie works for people who agree with the sort of idea of American journalism as an inherently valuable and objective thing? I just saw them as self-centered and self-important war tourists with no real beliefs or moral center that was legible to me so when she dies it didn’t have any weight to me.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think the point is less that Lee dies--like who has a problem with a Civil War movie depicting the death of Lee?--and more that Jessie has become just another Lee, calmly photographing the death of the woman who just saved her own life.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Well her death was also completely unsurprising. From the moment they had the convo by the downed chopper about Lee potentially photographing a dead Jessie it was clear where it was heading.

What stuck out to me was out of place that death scene was though. Throughout the film death is horrible, bloody, and terrifying. The opening scene, the couple of dudes bleeding out in the shootout scene, and Sammy immediately jump to mind. But then Lee's death is completely bloodless and drat near serene in comparison. It really stuck out to me as inconsistent with the rest of the film's portrayal of death. With how she basically poses for the photo of her death moment I suppose you can read it as representative of her passing being more peaceful because she wants to die, but it still seemed off to me. If we're gonna do the horrors of war, then let's loving do it. Joel dragging Jessie away from a gasping for air and bleeding out Lee so they can get their money shot would be so much more impactful and consistent with the rest of the movie's message and tone.

Edit: Though thinking back to Garland's remarks about journalists, maybe he wanted to make her death more peaceful and ease some of the casual cruelty off the shoulders of the Joel and Jessie characters.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 29, 2024

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Could've gone full out & have Lee's death being her head canoe'd if they wanted to maximize how gruesome war is.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Butter Activities posted:

I disagree. The movie is totally infused with the political and ideological, it's just made weaker than it could have been because the writing tried to not be "political" lacks self awareness of it's own politics. War by nature is an extremely political act, and making a movie about a war is going to have some sort of political message no matter how much they try to pretend there isn't. I cannot think of a war movie set in the real world of the last 100 years that isn't deeply political

It's frankly kinda absurd and feels a bit dismissive to claim this movie is not "ideological" or "political" when everyone is talking about it as a warning and the director is running around the centrist podcast circuit telling everyone that it's important to vote while interviewed about this movie.

I didn't say it wasn't political, I said some people found it insufficiently ideological, i.e. it wasn't explicit enough that Trump is bad and should be killed. The movie is very political, in fact it definitely takes the position that Trump killing is a good thing; just not as blantantly as people would like.

I'm on my phone so I can't write up anything long now, but I will say for now that 1) no one should care about what Garland said, only the movie counts and 2) to my mind the film is most deeply in conversation with Stone's Natural Born Killers more than modern politics.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

fishing with the fam posted:

Well her death was also completely unsurprising. From the moment they had the convo by the downed chopper about Lee potentially photographing a dead Jessie it was clear where it was heading.

What stuck out to me was out of place that death scene was though. Throughout the film death is horrible, bloody, and terrifying. The opening scene, the couple of dudes bleeding out in the shootout scene, and Sammy immediately jump to mind. But then Lee's death is completely bloodless and drat near serene in comparison. It really stuck out to me as inconsistent with the rest of the film's portrayal of death. With how she basically poses for the photo of her death moment I suppose you can read it as representative of her passing being more peaceful because she wants to die, but it still seemed off to me. If we're gonna do the horrors of war, then let's loving do it. Joel dragging Jessie away from a gasping for air and bleeding out Lee so they can get their money shot would be so much more impactful and consistent with the rest of the movie's message and tone.

Edit: Though thinking back to Garland's remarks about journalists, maybe he wanted to make her death more peaceful and ease some of the casual cruelty off the shoulders of the Joel and Jessie characters.

I took it less as posing for the camera and more the camera perspective composing Lee's death. Through the series of still shots Jessie takes and how it lingers on the final one, we see Lee's death captured and curated. Then she's just another limp body left behind.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Name Change posted:

This movie is radical in the sense that it attacks American exceptionalism. It is otherwise pretty straightforward and would lose its teeth with lovely white people by getting into the weeds of who has the right of it currently.

lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chances that dude is white is basically 100%

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Don’t worry, you dummies; we love white people!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

The movie also does a loving poor job of portraying the "other side" as your conservative rural uncle you can talk too, given it's entire structure is Heart of Darkness by urbanite journalists into hillbilly fascist territory so I really don't follow that logic either!

Yes, this was my confusion with that post as well. The guy at the gas station with his former high school classmate strung up did not come across as someone ready for a productive sit-down. Jesse Plemons, good as ever, is wildly villainous.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m surprised Veni can’t tell the difference - that Trump Uncle is concerned about what he‘ll have to do to people, while those people are concerned about what will be done to them.

You are an absolute loving moron. Seriously possibly the worst poster I have ever seen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think it's just hard to understate how one of the evil bad President's crimes being disbanding the FBI and that's supposed to make him an out of control authoritarian is fuckin' lol. Like the only political tendency actually in favour of that is the hard left.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Some right-wingers have said that they want it disbanded but they mean it more in the "Get rid of the woke leftists deep state running it" and not literally disbanding it forever.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the Civil War president disbanding the FBI is a reference to this stuff:

https://twitter.com/RepAndyBiggsAZ/status/1658202029355835414
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1668261588946542595
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1556793230028587009

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You're thinking of THE DAY AFTER, it's not likely Reagan ever saw THREADS.

Fair point, I think I mismatched my anecdotal history.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

veni veni veni posted:

You are an absolute loving moron. Seriously possibly the worst poster I have ever seen.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

veni veni veni posted:

That’s rather unlikely.

You must admit that you are being extremely cagey about what you stand for aside from this generalized “concern” that people of all stripes are gonna get ‘echo-chambered’ into doing a gun violence - which is, in reality, an exclusively right-wing phenomenon. Like, that’s who all these dumbassed lone wolves are.

And you know this.

Yet your basic repeated claim has been that leftists are ‘just as bad’ - heightening tensions with their scary alien rhetoric or whatever. It’s all weird and insular and people just can’t understand it.

(Leftists are the ones who like culture war, and don’t care about policies, right? What is a ‘centrist’??).

But you know who is reasonable, relatable? Literally those who supported - and effectively continue to support - a very public and well-advertised right-wing plot to overthrow American democracy. And by opposing that, being angered by that, isn’t the loony left just pressuring them to get more violent next time?

Now, do I think this manipulation of yours is too transparent to be intentional. I think you just haven’t examined any of this at all. But drat, dude, examine it please.