Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

when Mario gets to the castle, after going thru so much, and gets told "sorry the princess is in another castle"...omg. a modern sisyphus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lpzie posted:

had a dream hoot and I were playing some game with comms and he kept saying how normal my voice was.

Wete you the new goon I played fortnite with last night?

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

God Batman Beyond was so loving SICK! Loved that show growing up

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Megamissen posted:

this is an advanced posting tactic...

not as advanced as my discovering you can edit the (USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST) message once probation is over. Can't believe it took an old lady & 20 years to come across that exploit.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Apr 25, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Wete you the new goon I played fortnite with last night?

dreams are invading reality, Billie Eilish makes such things possible. goodnight.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it is funny to hear gamers talk about like Red Dead 2 having one of the greatest stories of all time and it's like drat... you've only ever been exposed to mid movies and literature your whole life, lol

Knew a guy who cried during the Dom death scene in Gears 3. Like.... bro......

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

DaysBefore posted:

Knew a guy who cried during the Dom death scene in Gears 3. Like.... bro......

Dom was annoying

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Apr 25, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

to be clear for anyone unfamiliar the opera scene in ff6 is just like 15 minutes of watching the sprites slowly scoot around on the stage while making noises like pigeons squawking into an equalizer. it's held up as one of the most emotionally powerful moments in jrpgs

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Remember when Rhode Island used to be called "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

to be clear for anyone unfamiliar the opera scene in ff6 is just like 15 minutes of watching the sprites slowly scoot around on the stage while making noises like pigeons squawking into an equalizer. it's held up as one of the most emotionally powerful moments in jrpgs

what's cool about that sort of thing is the ability to create an emotional moment for players in spite of those limitations; not acknowledging the limitations or pretending it is capable of having as much range as two human actors is just delusional imo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Buck Wildman posted:

lmao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Buck Wildman posted:

This guy hates games, and we let him ik the games thread???

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Buck Wildman posted:

lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

it is funny to hear gamers talk about like Red Dead 2 having one of the greatest stories of all time and it's like drat... you've only ever been exposed to mid movies and literature your whole life, lol

you just gotta have faith

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TAHITI, Arthur

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

This guy hates games, and we let him ik the games thread???

I love games. I also think the behavior surrounding them is extremely funny

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Nichael posted:

Remember when Rhode Island used to be called "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"?

yep

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Really queer christmas, you might want to talk to Prag and get that day probe fixed. Somehow they mistakenly just gave him a double sixer

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

I never really saw the appeal and always thought the coolest parts of FF6 were the silly parts like when you can suplex the train or when you fight the silly octopus

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

yeah gotta get that 100k fixed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tbf when i originally played ff6, i hated the opera scenes because celes, locke and setzer were the three worst characters in the whole game. ultros almost saves it but it's a timed fight and gently caress timed sequences in rpgs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

i say swears online posted:

tbf when i originally played ff6, i hated the opera scenes because celes, locke and setzer were the three worst characters in the whole game. ultros almost saves it but it's a timed fight and gently caress timed sequences in rpgs

Oh, right, I forgot, the octopus guy was IN the opera scene. Ok yeah I liked that specific part but I don't like opera and didn't like watching a tinny 16-bit opera done by 90s sprites so the whole scene didn't resonate with me

see also: the "rock concert" in Chrono Cross (which consisted of the PS1-era characters spending like ten minutes doing a bad Shakespeare ripoff with absolute silence in the background, followed by like 90 seconds of bad hair-metal guitar being looped ad infinitum until you finish the gameplay sequence)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

loquacius posted:

I never really saw the appeal and always thought the coolest parts of FF6 were the silly parts like when you can suplex the train or when you fight the silly octopus

for me it was hitting the world map for the first time after the major ruinous event. much more effective at prompting an emotional reaction, particularly with the music

https://youtu.be/2fKgnqFQ81o?si=DFQD4VjTl16070hL

Buck Wildman has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Apr 25, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

for me it was hitting the world map for the first time after the major ruinous event. much more effective at prompting an emotional reaction, particularly with the music

yup. after getting a party of like 20+ guys together. and then they're just all scattered to the wind again... devastating

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yup. after getting a party of like 20+ guys together. and then they're just all scattered to the wind again... devastating

yeah I can admit that I lost steam here and couldn't finish the game on attempt 1 when I was like 13 because it felt like my toys had been broken

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
game ive been playing is vampire survivors. 140 cheevos so far. trying to 100% this bitch

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the inverse mode challenge stages are very hard. i need to unlock more OP characters to defeat them i think.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Smythe posted:

game ive been playing is vampire survivors. 140 cheevos so far. trying to 100% this bitch

hell yeah, love to survive vampires

Haven't played this one in a year or two but Poppea is best girl

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Smythe posted:

the inverse mode challenge stages are very hard. i need to unlock more OP characters to defeat them i think.

it's a great game. I nearly 100%'d the main content and set it aside. whenever I feel the itch again I'll pick up the dlc

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023
The opera in FF6 is cool because it's a giant dramatic cutscene they pulled off on the SNES that's immediately followed by fighting the comic relief octopus boss. Then you get a new party member and the airship. Very cool part of the game

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

see also: the "rock concert" in Chrono Cross (which consisted of the PS1-era characters spending like ten minutes doing a bad Shakespeare ripoff with absolute silence in the background, followed by like 90 seconds of bad hair-metal guitar being looped ad infinitum until you finish the gameplay sequence)

concerts can be fun

loquacius posted:

yeah I can admit that I lost steam here and couldn't finish the game on attempt 1 when I was like 13 because it felt like my toys had been broken

the world of ruin half of the game has some of the best storylines. my internet went out last week and i'm maybe 1/4 of the way through the game so far, hopefully i'll keep up with it. gameplay is still solid, especially compared to early ps1 era rpgs

selec
Sep 6, 2003

vampire survivors is great podcast/audiobook gaming. only game I’ve platted and keep replatting when there’s DLC

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

my_custom_username posted:

The opera in FF6 is cool because it's a giant dramatic cutscene they pulled off on the SNES that's immediately followed by fighting the comic relief octopus boss. Then you get a new party member and the airship. Very cool part of the game

sure, I agree it's a triumph of what they could do with the tech at the time. a major moment in a great game. I'm just poking fun at folks who get way too stirred by stuff like this

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

selec posted:

vampire survivors is great podcast/audiobook gaming. only game I’ve platted and keep replatting when there’s DLC

snowrunner's my easy listening game, and I will never finish it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

loquacius posted:

hell yeah, love to survive vampires

Haven't played this one in a year or two but Poppea is best girl

shes good and the upgraded song is good. i think to beat the very hard stages you need a more op toon tho. the guns girl who gets might per level is good. OG whip guy who gerts might is good. the guy who starts with the upgraded knife is very good. i hope to unlock the fire guy soon and also the super character sigma. the reaper guy unlock i didn't like so much despite the scythes being very strong, just too slow at the start.

Buck Wildman posted:

it's a great game. I nearly 100%'d the main content and set it aside. whenever I feel the itch again I'll pick up the dlc

selec posted:

yes!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

snowrunner made me so loving mad the first time that i played it that i uninstalled it lol. i gotta go back to it on edibles or something

the best podcast games are the throughput simulators like factorio and dyson sphere program

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

i say swears online posted:

snowrunner made me so loving mad the first time that i played it that i uninstalled it lol. i gotta go back to it on edibles or something

the best podcast games are the throughput simulators like factorio and dyson sphere program

I hear this often and I'll never understand it. it's one of the most chill games I've ever played

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cherry bomb panda and bone throw skeleton are epic as well of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
last year i loved playing the game monster train and got all the cheevos. its like slay the spire but ez mode, which is good for me kuz slay the spire is hard for my feeble mind