Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Isles ain't gonna make it too far playing like that last period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I mean they turned that game into a 2-1 coin flip. If every game is gonna be that grindy that might be able to bullshit out a few wins. Hard to see them stringing together four that way though

Really? I thought they absolutely wilted when the canes took the lead and never came back into it
I know it's only game one but that's gonna be a drat tough match-up for'em I think, unless someone like Anders Lee decides to play like he's 5 years younger

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Why is Reaves on the ice during a playoff game?

Truculence

I know it's been over 10 years now but the Leafs are still a Brian Burke team, they never escaped him

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

they've been pulling this same stupid move for years now

come the playoffs "that means it's time to be more physical" and suddenly they're chasing hits and physicality instead of just playing the game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Swayman is a goddamned joy to watch as a neutral observer

I just love a goalie when they've got that unflappable swagger like "I'm just gonna stand here take your best shot"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I know people talk about a team being "cursed" a lot as a joke but are the Leafs like... did someone actually curse them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They're gonna start Matt Murray for game 2 aren't they

and it's going to go even worse

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

The Leafs know they can shoot the puck at the net, right?

"bodycheck"

did you say "bodycheck" coach?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

even if they weren't gifting the bruins power play after power play, the defense and goaltending is just not good enough

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The same thing keeps happening even after you changed the GM and shuffled some bodies

either you fire the coach or you get rid of one of the big boys

what's it gonna, you reckon

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

you absolutely can't take that penalty

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nairbo posted:

Tavares sucks lol

that may be true but I think the result was a team effort tonight

that is an entirely different team from what I saw of the regular season Leafs and that comes entirely down to coaching/in the room jitters kinda stuff and they're not kids anymore... they need to shake that poo poo off (and fire Keefe immediately)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that puck curves in ways that defy my understanding

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

why the hell is Lowry their captain and not Scheifele
that seems weird

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah sorry Avs, you're not repeating

which makes you frauds in the modern cup era

and christ the bidding war for Ullmark this offseason is going to be something to see

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VOTE1 posted:

he's obviously not been great, but most the goals this game have had some pretty woeful defence involved.

oh yeah that PK was really loving passive
when pucks are going in like they are tonight why are they not pressuring

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will say to say something nice for the Avs, I completely thought that Lehkonen contract was gonna be a huge overpay for a bottom-6 forward but he seems to have been worth the money, maybe even underpaid as things go

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That whistle was horseshit. He didn't have that frozen by just his foot alone

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

:lol: that Nuke was just gonna stand there without a stick

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bad as that was for the Avs... Jets also almost fumbled a 7 goal game

that's not where either team wants to be

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man that arena sounds loving loud

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Well, it could be worse

At least the Nucks are out there hitting

hits are basically goals right?
according to my extensive fantasy hockey experience

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

aren't those the 2 dmen they traded for at the deadline that blew that PK?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sloppy sloppy, brewns

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Caps woke up at the end but they're old.

they shouldn't be in the playoffs

it should be my old, broken team

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Leafs I'm going to make a strategy suggestion that you don't abandon the entire front of your net for the sake of a board battle

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

This is basically the losing scenario for the Leafs in this series, outchance Boston early but don’t build a cushion because of goaltending, then Samsonov gives up something easy and the team freaks out

He let in a softie but the defense also completely abandoned him so it's not entirely his fault

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That's captain material right there?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

heehee posted:

lmfao that whole 20 second sequence before the goal there was hilarious

reminds me of that one hole that gets me in every game of minigolf I've ever played

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Feels like the Bruins gotta go with Swayman the rest of the way here. He's been the best player for Boston by far.

He's a loving superstar in the making at this rate. You cannot buy that composure
Gotta ride him until the wheels fall off

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Leafs played well for, arguably, 35 minutes but the predictable factors for the series happened

the predictable factors being that games continue to be longer than 35 minutes even in the post-season

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Games ebb and flow, but if you’re playing better than the other team for the majority of the game you need more than a goal from it. Boston was always going to have some fight and the Leafs aren’t built to win 1-0

I still think you can see where they're going wrong in this one simple image

One team is playing physical hockey and the other team is just playing physical and kinda forgot that the goal is to score goals and not just bodycheck

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

I know you’re being cute but there’s no actual argument watching that game and looking at the chance count that the Leafs gave up on scoring chances because they were focused on being physical

I am absolutely suggesting that every post-season they abandon the style of play that makes them successful in the regular season for the sake of chasing some vision of what they consider playoff hockey to be
one game it's an aberration but years in a row you can tell it's just a thing that the room believes and it's never going to work for this team no matter how many Bertuzzis or Reaveses they add

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm very annoyed at the caps pulling off their incredible end of season push only to end up looking like a particularly large juniors team against the rangers and almost certainly ending up swept

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I wonder how many PP's the Caps can get without scoring

look when you get to be that age, sometimes it just doesn't work the way it's supposed to

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the worst team to make the playoffs since the Oakland seals

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

I love how much this irritates Penguins fans.

And Flyers fans.

I'm more disappointed. I expected more but they're too old for even Wilson and Oshie to goon it up. They're just kinda flopping over

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Like if I wanted to watch 20 minutes of Ovechkin looking like he'd rather be doing anything than playing hockey...

I'd have watched them during the regular season

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

Holy moly what a bad turnover

but did you see that tussle in the corner
that's basically as good as a goal isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

christ almighty they can't just do this every goddamn post-season