Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks to Bhodi for the pic

Available on Steam

quote:

Your journey will start on an abandoned island with a small crew of loyal workers. In order to survive, you will need to mine raw materials from the earth, grow food, build factories, manufacture products, construct vehicles, research new technologies, explore your surroundings, and trade with other islands. If you do things right, you'll work your way up towards an industrial superpower and you can even start a space program! But this is no easy task and you will be put to the test to keep your settlement alive.

quote:

Manufacture products
Start simple - smelt iron, mix concrete, create construction parts, and grow food. Soon you will be able to expand into crude oil processing, electronics, solar panels, data centers, and even rockets. There are over 150 unique products to explore and work with!

Build vehicles and transport products
Logistics systems ensure that trucks will automatically deliver products where they are most needed. You can configure the logistics to make it more efficient. Don’t forget to build enough trucks or upgrade existing ones to keep things moving!

Build conveyor belts and pipes
Use conveyor belts and pipes to route products efficiently and relieve stress on truck-based logistics. The transport system supports vertical stacking and auto-pathing for easy placement. Balancers and sorters also help organize your assembly lines by providing priority and sorting functionalities.

Mine raw resources on fully dynamic terrain
Find the natural riches of your land and use them to expand your empire. Mine coal, iron, copper, gold, or pump underground oil and water! Make open-pit mines to extract valuable ores from underground, or just dump excess rocks into the ocean to create a new land to build on! Remember that no mountain is tall enough for your fleet of excavators!

Additionally, the dynamic terrain system allows you to create access to various levels of elevation throughout your island. Dig or dump terrain to create slopes between hard to reach places so that you can have the most efficient path for your vehicles.

Farm your land
You need to feed your people by growing simple crops such as potatoes. Later, you will be able to grow more advanced crops such as wheat or soybeans and process them to make more kinds of food and products. You can also produce fertilizers and use greenhouses to keep up with the food demands.
Grow your settlement and provide for your people

To staff your factories, farms, and vehicles, you need people, and lots of them. Build housing and provide essentials to your citizens such as food, water, electricity, healthcare, and household goods. Population will grow on its own depending on their health and happiness, but you can also recruit and rescue populations on the world map to help aid your island.

Build complex oil and chemical refineries
Break crude oil down into different usable fractions using multiple refining stages. With the ability to stack pipes you can create compact and scalable plants that can make all the oil-based products you will need for your growing empire.

Research new technologies
Research is a must have! Unlock new buildings and materials and make your factory more efficient. New technologies will change the course of your future. Your factory will grow more efficient and advanced with over 140 technologies to unlock.

Import and export resources to and from your island
Establish shipping lanes with cargo ships to fill the gaps in your production by bringing in various products such as crude oil, wood, or quartz. While the resources on your island may be limited, the world is not! Later you will be also able to establish shipping contracts with other islands for periodic exchange of goods.

Explore the world, trade with allies, fight pirates
Repair and upgrade your ship with better engines, armor, and weapons. Explore your surroundings, find refugees, allied settlements to trade with, discover more resources, and be ready for naval battles with pesky pirates!

Get to space!
Research and develop your way to space flight. Launch a rocket as a true test of your settlement’s accomplishments.

Captain of Industry [COI] is an early access factory base building automation game similar to Factorio, Satisfactory, and any other game with the word Factory in the name. If you've ever played Factorio, the easiest way I can explain the most basic concept of the game to you is that it's a bit like if you started Factorio with access to Drones already unlocked. In this game you are building factories that make an item that feed into another factory that makes another item, etc. except unlike Factorio or similar games where you are a player in the world, in COI you are building your factory from a top down view with no physical presence. What you do have is a fleet of trucks and excavators that will automatically deliver construction materials and carry things around and need to be maintained and fueled.

Your factory requires workers, which is where the housing comes into play. Your population is largely just another resource, one that is needed to staff every building you make. To keep your population happy (and alive), you have to pump in various resources like food, water, and electricity or else they move out (or die) which could send you into a downward spiral if not attended to. The game does have many fail states but clever in-game ways like alarms to help you keep an eye on crucial resources across the island.

There's lots of complex mechanics to discover and still much more to come throughout early access but as it stands there's a lot to love here already for fans of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Making my starter post here. It's a bit of a mess, I'll probably come back and rebuild it after I unlock higher tier posting parts. :v:

(game is good y'all)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Game is good and worth the money if you like factory games

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

In all seriousness, doing start #2 on Golden Peak and getting my automation properly set up. Once you get some conveyor lines working the game starts feeling so much better.

Golden Peak #2 is an absolute dick of a start since you have to rush to gain access to your starter oil. During the canary testing there was a little path up there created by the erosion engine that was removed.

Speaking of maps, I've actually created a map. Well, three: two are gimmick maps but I actually put some work into this one and I think it's a solid, if challenging, map: https://hub.coigame.com/Map/Detail/31

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

After narrowly avoiding disaster by running out of diesel after my oil well dried up I finally have a stable supply from the two oil platforms and have been getting advanced oil refining set up finally.

I can't wait until they add functioning roads to this. I've been making due by dragging the pipes pause mode and funneling them into the roads but they still sorta just go everywhere. It's fun when it works though and you see all the trucks zipping around on the "roads"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I love the hazard stripes that came with the latest patch with all the surfaces. Hazard stripes as far as the eye can see :black101:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hello thread on the new spaghetti factory game I'm currently wasting time on.

I'm at T3 science roadblocks now, so I set up the T3 construction parts and then completely rebuilt all my industry for making the various bits and tore down my old one. Realized that my real bottleneck is concrete blocks, so built a massive concrete setup that I am having difficult keeping fed with rock to crush into gravel, but I think I've finally overcome that, just in time to be running out of oil and water both, so then went off on setting up desalination and making sure the oil from the boat is prioritized and fixing a bunch of pathing issues.

Oh.. and then started having brownouts, so built a completely new powerplant, this one with 2 turbines and cooling towers to reclaim some water from the steam.

Maybe the next time I play I'll actually look at figuring out what I need to do to make paper so I can actually start doing T3 research stuff.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I’ve found it’s worth having a few diesel generators attached to your oil and set to lower priority to handle brownouts.

Still working on a late-game food processing zone, and I’m not loving that canola and sugarcane don’t have easy surplus sinks. They can’t become animal food or compost, which is a bit annoying, and I can’t just dump em in the ocean either, which is some bullshit!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enigma posted:

I’ve found it’s worth having a few diesel generators attached to your oil and set to lower priority to handle brownouts.

Still working on a late-game food processing zone, and I’m not loving that canola and sugarcane don’t have easy surplus sinks. They can’t become animal food or compost, which is a bit annoying, and I can’t just dump em in the ocean either, which is some bullshit!

Yup.. I have my original 3 diesel generators still. They definitely kicked in when my power became an issue. I'm still not 100% sure what was causing the problem, because my steam turbine plant was good for 6MW in theory, but I was getting power shortages when in the 5.5MW range for some reason... Spikes that it can't spin up quickly for or maybe water shortage? I'm not sure, but I have 12MW on turbines now and still have my diesel backup.

I want to upgrade my trucks to bigger ones, but I need yellow parts which require glass which requires.. T3 research!

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Locator posted:

I want to upgrade my trucks to bigger ones, but I need yellow parts which require glass which requires.. T3 research!

you can trade for glass with one of the islands way before you can make your own.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yeah, you don’t really *need* glass production until you get into electronics 2.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Griz posted:

you can trade for glass with one of the islands way before you can make your own.

I honestly haven't really touched that aspect of the game yet (other than instant trading wood for bricks and concrete). That's an aspect I need to dig into. I finally did get around to arming my ship and starting to knock off the neighborhood pirates, and I've almost fully explored the areas within range. There are a bunch of resources and 2 other towns so far. I still only have my original oil-tanker ship, but there are several other ones on the map I can repair. I know there is quartz and Sulphur available via the boats.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I just buy glass with the red construction parts. You can buy two each time before they raise the prices.

IMO the large excavators are a better buy than the yellow trucks. I mean, they're cool and all but the large excavators fill the blue trucks in one scoop. You'll want both eventually, of course.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Locator posted:

I honestly haven't really touched that aspect of the game yet (other than instant trading wood for bricks and concrete). That's an aspect I need to dig into. I finally did get around to arming my ship and starting to knock off the neighborhood pirates, and I've almost fully explored the areas within range. There are a bunch of resources and 2 other towns so far. I still only have my original oil-tanker ship, but there are several other ones on the map I can repair. I know there is quartz and Sulphur available via the boats.

It’s an instant trade option (same as wood for bricks) with one of the nearby towns. You have to donate construction parts to make them like you enough to offer it, though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enigma posted:

It’s an instant trade option (same as wood for bricks) with one of the nearby towns. You have to donate construction parts to make them like you enough to offer it, though.

Ah, gotcha. I haven't donated anything yet, because up until now my yellow construction parts were way too valuable to give to some schucks that don't like me!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Any opinions on particular ratio calculators? I've tried the two visual ones that come up, but haven't been impressed by either, DoubleAxe's for not being any more scrutable about imbalances than planning mode itself and the one that just calls itself CoI Calculator for not apparently having any option to 4x (8x, ...16x?) a building.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CoI does a thing every factory game ever should steal: you can render every process as x/60 sec which at least for me, obsoleted any need for a ratio calculator.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SettingSun posted:

CoI does a thing every factory game ever should steal: you can render every process as x/60 sec which at least for me, obsoleted any need for a ratio calculator.

Yeah, that's a really nice feature, I have that on for everything and plan based on that.

I traded for glass to get some excavators and even some large trucks built, but while I was messing around I didn't notice my coal mine had stopped producing (just because it ran out of defined dig area) and man did that take some time to recover from with multiple cascading failures like no copper production leading to no electronic parts leading to no maintenance... lol. Also no coal means no salt water distillation means no power. Good times.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

Yeah, that's a really nice feature, I have that on for everything and plan based on that.

I traded for glass to get some excavators and even some large trucks built, but while I was messing around I didn't notice my coal mine had stopped producing (just because it ran out of defined dig area) and man did that take some time to recover from with multiple cascading failures like no copper production leading to no electronic parts leading to no maintenance... lol. Also no coal means no salt water distillation means no power. Good times.

The spinning plates are also spinning plates themselves and god help you if one falls over.

In the same vein, god help me I've starting playing this game again because goons talking about it drummed up my interest. I also need to plunge over the T3 ledge.

For anyone on the fence about this game, it was my most played game last year and the title is a good pun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Wait until y'all get into late game and see the game's nuclear system. The Tier 1/2/3 level power plants can produce enough steam for 90/120/240 MW of continuous power each. Screw autobalancing them, just let the power flow.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I wish I could run conveyors on top my buildings, the conveyor lifters seem tailor-made for starting that kind of chain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is some benefit to load balancing your nuclear steam turbines to take the extra steam and desalinate water with it. Water is a magical alchemical substance that is generally used in recipes or agriculture to magically make more of something.

But also the final ones are so chonky you can just send it all to the grid and use electric boilers so you'll be forgiven for not using a perfect, magic priority splitter system.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't made it to nuclear power yet but every time I read a little about it I get more intimidated :ohdear:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

explosivo posted:

I haven't made it to nuclear power yet but every time I read a little about it I get more intimidated :ohdear:

Same. I’m at tier 3 factories and already feeling a little stressed at how annoying it is to get everything rigged up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

There is some benefit to load balancing your nuclear steam turbines to take the extra steam and desalinate water with it. Water is a magical alchemical substance that is generally used in recipes or agriculture to magically make more of something.

But also the final ones are so chonky you can just send it all to the grid and use electric boilers so you'll be forgiven for not using a perfect, magic priority splitter system.

The last time I played this, I ended up with 3 FBRs, two of which were dedicated to power, and the third was a super steam trunk for my entire island.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

SettingSun posted:

I'm interested more for keeping track of the odd ends of the chain and scaling/descaling/listing what inputs or output handling are missing that for the direct connections--basically, something to autofill the math on documents that look like

code:
x const4 = 4 roboassy2 
	96 const3 = 16 assy3
		192 const2 = 16 assy3
			384 const1 = 16 assy3
				288 iron = 12 caster2
					288 miron = 6 furnace2
						216 crushiron = 1 crusherl
						18 limestone
						90 coal (or 18 graphite eventually)
				288 wood
				384 concrete = 16 mixer2 or 8 mixer3, either
					192 water = shade under 3 desal
						216 seawater = 2 intake
						36 histeam = 3/4 of a boiler
							48 water
							etcetc
					288 gravel = 2 crusherl
					288 rock
					48 cement = 8 gkiln
						144 limestone
						48 gas or h2 = 4 electrolyz
							24 water
			192 elect1 = 2 roboassy2 or 4 assy3
				48 rubber = 4 rmaker
					32 naphtha = etcetc
					8 coal
				192 copper = 8 celec
and provide a list of trucked input and unhandled output totals, with being able to drag-and-drop entire sections around while keeping their depth in the tree using a visual layout a bonus.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Take a bit to rework your processes for T3 buildings and the new tech that goes with them, get comfortable with your expanding toolkit.

Basic nuclear is very straightforward if you look at it as a permanently-running process: any part of it backing up is what’s going to cause deaths among your population.

Once I’m making fuel rods and have my first reactor built, I’ve got blueprints for a 30MW turbine/generator/cooling tower stack which I can run up to three of off the mk1 reactor and settings and that becomes my grid’s base load. Right now my post-patch island is running two of those as well as 36MW of T1 coal which I never bothered replacing or bolstering with T2 coal because I knew where I was going and kept my power draw restrained.

About to have to start making microchips, as soon as I can get some Gold going and a few supercomputers up.

I’ve swapped almost completely over to hydrogen to fuel my truck fleet and with the surplus of Diesel from that I might just trade for the gold.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Set the priorities of every building that is part of energy and maintenance production to P1. This way they will always be the last buildings to run out of resources/power/manpower should you have a shortage.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Also maintenance, you can set your power generation and the parts chain for maintenance to keep getting maintained even through a spiral the same way you keep important things powered in a brownout.

That and balancers with priority settings will allow you to pull out of a crisis just by noticing and fixing your raw material flow, no need to micro pausing belts or anything.

Also your trucks can pull materials off of a belt, so if you need to raid the feed for vehicle parts to get electronics to deliver for maintenance you can easily do that. It’s the trash icon when you have a belt selected, next to the arrow-circle icon which flips the direction.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Having played around a bit more, I've gotten the hang (lay out your oil refining first, with anything self-referential tracked by hand, or it gets very confused very fast) of https://doubleaxe.github.io/daxfb-calculator/?gameId=coi and it's doing what I wanted. Would recommend for trying to conceptualize layouts, especially because there's an automatic weighted untangler with decent ideas for what should be off to the side and what should be near the middle.

And then, having conceptualized the omnifactory, I'm not going to use it because by the time I've flattened enough space I'll be a tech tier further on.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thought I was gonna be a smart guy and eliminate the water pollution from my salt water desalination by using my newly researched salt ponds. My brilliant idea was that the salt would be routed into some storage, and then the excess would be put into the conveyor thing to make Mount Salt-more.

Welp.. turns out the conveyor thing won't accept salt for some stupid reason. I built some big storage bins for the salt, but they filled up pretty fast, so now I've got a bunch of salt, and I'm still dumping brine into the ocean.

Game is fun.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brine is just evolved seawater. No pollution at all

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Waste Water, Sour Water, and then later Toxic Slurry are the things you want to find a way to re-use. Brine is fine!

Turns out the chlorine for water treatment comes from prioritizing brine dumped by my one off-network desalinator, and if that doesn’t keep up with the tide of poo poo water from the settlement I could go from 0 water pollution for centuries right up to 15 overnight.

That poo poo is running alone because it’s so far from where desalination wound up being located, and from the water backbone. I’m starting to have to get clever about fitting cross-island connections around the settlement but this one and the next couple still fits! Reclaimed, treated poo poo water is back on the menu as soon as the loving pipe fills up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

euphronius posted:

Brine is just evolved seawater. No pollution at all

I thought it showed a pollution value... lol. Lots of wasted resources on that experiment. I deconstructed the evaporation pools to make sure they aren't costing me anything to exist.

LonsomeSon posted:

Waste Water, Sour Water, and then later Toxic Slurry are the things you want to find a way to re-use. Brine is fine!

Turns out the chlorine for water treatment comes from prioritizing brine dumped by my one off-network desalinator, and if that doesn’t keep up with the tide of poo poo water from the settlement I could go from 0 water pollution for centuries right up to 15 overnight.

That poo poo is running alone because it’s so far from where desalination wound up being located, and from the water backbone. I’m starting to have to get clever about fitting cross-island connections around the settlement but this one and the next couple still fits! Reclaimed, treated poo poo water is back on the menu as soon as the loving pipe fills up.

I just got waste-water reclamation going for my settlement using chlorine from my main desalination plant, but I haven't done anything with my Sour Water yet. Just taking care of the settlement waste cut my water pollution in half.

Water seems to be my constant failure point as I have completely used up my starting groundwater and I expected the desalination to more than cover the gap, but apparently my math sucks, plus I failed on a hookup when I setup the exhaust scrubbing and failed to connect the scrubber to the water so of course it all backed up and stopped making water after I switched it on and destroyed all my smokestacks.

This is the current abomination, I long ago gave up on finding neat looking pipe routing and just let them go wherever as long as they connect right at the end. In the background is my main coal fired steam turbines, although I now have 10MW of diesel power generators on stand-by.

Now I have to figure out what to do with my sulphur and sludge before they finish filling up all their storage. I also setup the exhaust reclamation on my oil stuff so I've got two sources of sulphur. Because I have no idea what I'm doing, stuff that should probably be located together is instead on the opposite end of the factory.

I also have glassmaking researched as well as having just finished all the research for hydrogen vehicles, so I have some big projects ahead as I figure all of this out, while trying to keep stuff from backing up or failing while I'm not watching it.

Edit: Also I was nice to my workers and they now have bread added to their diet, but no proteins or desserts yet. Also this screenshot was before I setup the Chlorine tap off of the right side of this for the waste water treatment way off in the distance.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 22, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Sludge goes into the Digester to become fuel gas and Compost, which you can mix with gravel to make Dirt.

Sulphur makes fertilizer, Acid, and Tofu, then you can set up a trade contract to export your overflow in exchange for more Sludge, to make more gas and compost with. I’m selling half a hold of Sulfur for three holds of Sludge about once a year and five digesters takes care of that plus the wastewater sludge nicely.

To consume fuel gas I’ve got gas kilns, a statue of maintenance, a trash incinerator, and then two crackers converting it to Diesel. Anything extra fires a gas boiler which the oil refinery preferentially draws steam from when it’s running. Usually I’d recycle everything to Diesel but I’ve finally converted my vehicle fleet and one of my cargo ships to nuclear-cracked Hydrogen, I’m now up to fifteen Electrolyzer IIs but we usually aren’t using more than 11-12 on a month-to-month basis. Yet, I still have three cargo ships to covert, two of which are pretty consistently moving.

Getting ready to put in a second nuclear reactor, though, I’ve got 126MW of capacity, we’re consistently running 70-80MW, and I haven’t started microchips yet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Sludge goes into the Digester to become fuel gas and Compost, which you can mix with gravel to make Dirt.

Sulphur makes fertilizer, Acid, and Tofu, then you can set up a trade contract to export your overflow in exchange for more Sludge, to make more gas and compost with. I’m selling half a hold of Sulfur for three holds of Sludge about once a year and five digesters takes care of that plus the wastewater sludge nicely.

To consume fuel gas I’ve got gas kilns, a statue of maintenance, a trash incinerator, and then two crackers converting it to Diesel. Anything extra fires a gas boiler which the oil refinery preferentially draws steam from when it’s running. Usually I’d recycle everything to Diesel but I’ve finally converted my vehicle fleet and one of my cargo ships to nuclear-cracked Hydrogen, I’m now up to fifteen Electrolyzer IIs but we usually aren’t using more than 11-12 on a month-to-month basis. Yet, I still have three cargo ships to covert, two of which are pretty consistently moving.

Getting ready to put in a second nuclear reactor, though, I’ve got 126MW of capacity, we’re consistently running 70-80MW, and I haven’t started microchips yet.

Man.. there is so much to this game I haven't even gotten close to yet. I'll admit that I had no idea how deep it went when I picked it up, and it's a very pleasant surprise to see how much there is left to do while I am over 30 hours into my first game.

I have expanded my island a lot with stuff that I should be recycling (like slag for the concrete process instead of just digging up sand and rocks), which probably contributes to landfill pollution. I have 3 full sized excavators and 6 large trucks doing nothing but leveling the ground to give me more space, and all that dirt just pours into the ocean expanding my island also.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Slag is to rocks/ore as brine is to ocean water. It's just man made rocks. Perfect man made land base level if you have some scenic dirt to throw on top.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Later on you can also trade slag for sour water.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Landfill pollution near as I can tell comes solely from dumping Waste, and it gradually goes away such that even if you don’t dig all your dumped trash up, eventually you drop to 0 landfill pollution once you start burning trash.

Note if you dig up a bunch of Waste to dump it elsewhere, that adds to landfill pollution so moving your trash dump can have unexpected health effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Landfill pollution near as I can tell comes solely from dumping Waste, and it gradually goes away such that even if you don’t dig all your dumped trash up, eventually you drop to 0 landfill pollution once you start burning trash.

Note if you dig up a bunch of Waste to dump it elsewhere, that adds to landfill pollution so moving your trash dump can have unexpected health effects.

My 'landfill' is so thoroughly mixed with rocks, slag and dirt to expand the island, that it will never be dug up, so this is good to know.