Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I still like to have a little priority mixer with a water option on my acid to copper because I really don't want to run out of maintenance because I did something dumb like temporarily distract my acid production to go to a big microchip facility, a thing I have never ever done and only build resilience against for fun and not by necessity of my lack of foresight.

Mixed disposal or mixed supplies without priorities are absolutely verboten though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

I still like to have a little priority mixer with a water option on my acid to copper because I really don't want to run out of maintenance because I did something dumb like temporarily distract my acid production to go to a big microchip facility, a thing I have never ever done and only build resilience against for fun and not by necessity of my lack of foresight.

Mixed disposal or mixed supplies without priorities are absolutely verboten though.

That's a weirdly specific example.

Acid is one of those things where I just have zero problems with. Make a giant tank at your petrochem facility from all the yellow rocks you get out of sour water. You will never use 2000 units of acid before noticing something got hosed up somewhere.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Making it on site is also an option, since it's easier to truck sulfer without all the the extra water in it.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
I make acid from the exhaust scrubbers powered by my furnaces. Ive never run out of it since you use so little for copper and glass production. I haven't gotten to microchips so not sure if you need more later but it feels really easy to make endless quantities.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

By the time you’re using a lot of sulfur, you’re also making a lot more Exhaust and Sour Water.

There’s also a contract to send large amounts of Slag in exchange for a hold full of Sour Water, if you resent your Strippers ever spending a moment idle and need more ammonia/sulfur.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Your acid draws creep up but it's at a point of the game you have a lot of options to keep creating more. It would be absolutely embarrassing if anyone was to add a few tanks to a gold refinery and microchip factory and end up putting all your current acid in transit out of short sighted bootstrapping at which point your copper comes to a stop. Just a complete amateur.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LonsomeSon posted:

...you can set up a trade route to sell half a hold of sulfur at a time for 3 holds worth of Sludge, which becomes a minuscule amount of Compost and a paltry amount of Fuel Gas in the Anaerobic Digester. Last game before I realized this, I had an immense silo farm of just sulfur but now it’s all replaced with an overflow Balancer and a trade pier.

How do you get this to show up? I don't have a sulfur / sludge trade option at any of my 4 discovered villages so I'm still just piling up sulfur all over the place.

I have knocked my pollution down to 7 total now, and I make far more unity than I can use. I'm in middle of converting my entire fleet to hydrogen, all the small excavators were converted directly to full sized hydrogen and all the existing full sized excavators were converted to hydrogen also. I can probably remove my diesel fuel station pretty soon, as soon as I remember to convert my tree harvesters to hydrogen as I think they are the only things consuming diesel now, other than ships, and one of the cargo ships is converted to heavy oil.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Locator posted:

How do you get this to show up? I don't have a sulfur / sludge trade option at any of my 4 discovered villages so I'm still just piling up sulfur all over the place.
Find a fifth?

E: it’s a contract, not a quick trade.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Some villages have a separate section in the window for contracts, where you set up a port and a cargo ship goes back and forth.

You can also hit F3, and theres a tab for it.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

The Locator posted:

I have knocked my pollution down to 7 total now, and I make far more unity than I can use. I'm in middle of converting my entire fleet to hydrogen, all the small excavators were converted directly to full sized hydrogen and all the existing full sized excavators were converted to hydrogen also. I can probably remove my diesel fuel station pretty soon, as soon as I remember to convert my tree harvesters to hydrogen as I think they are the only things consuming diesel now, other than ships, and one of the cargo ships is converted to heavy oil.

I'm in the diesel-to-hydrogen transition on my current save, and I'd definitely be careful about full conversion right away--the apparent decent sources of hydrogen before nukes and unlimited electrolysis are all refining diesel production byproducts. Best to keep a balance, unless I'm missing something critical.

When you have access to superheated steam, even just from electric boilers with nukes never mind a breeder reactor, then you can go hog wild without worrying about flaring hundreds of diesel to keep the line going.

e:
Reactor I semi-closed-system production: 1.5 uranium rods + 800KW (counting the electricity you don't get, 90.8MW) = 396 hydrogen, 229.3KW per hydrogen + 1.5 spent fuel. Reactor II: 2 MOX rods + 4MW (counting the electricity you don't get, 124MW) = 540 hydrogen, 229.6KW (so slightly less efficient than Reactor 1!) per hydrogen + 2 spent MOX rods. Breeder: 4 core fuel = 1.15K hydrogen (208.7KW per) + 4 spent core fuel.

Electrolysis process, 3.6MW = 12 hydrogen, 300KW per hydrogen, plus hugely more space-intensive, at a time when electricity is far more dear to boot.

e2: there is probably a very good endgame production analysis in valuing everything by watts-to-produce. Including labor, to be honest.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 24, 2024

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I've got a power question. This is my current primary power plant, and yes I know now that it would probably run perfectly fine with only 2 cooling towers and no pipe balancer for the low pressure steam. This started out with incorrect ratios on the high pressure turbines (3 generators per turbine) because I can't read, and before I had the low pressure turbines or cooling towers, so it's kind of 3 stages of power plant built as I got new stuff.

When I check the little "auto balance" check-box, things work fine for a while, and then I start getting flickering brown-outs and when I go check on the turbines they are right at the low redline and they simply can't spin up fast enough to prevent the power outages, so the diesel backups kick in.

Does auto balance just not work like it describes, or is there something inherently wrong here that I am not seeing?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enigma posted:

Some villages have a separate section in the window for contracts, where you set up a port and a cargo ship goes back and forth.

You can also hit F3, and theres a tab for it.

I'm talking about contracts. There are no contracts for sulfur or sludge available. Do I have to gift them a bunch of parts increasing the relationship level before it appears?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mandoric posted:

I'm in the diesel-to-hydrogen transition on my current save, and I'd definitely be careful about full conversion right away--the apparent decent sources of hydrogen before nukes and unlimited electrolysis are all refining diesel production byproducts. Best to keep a balance, unless I'm missing something critical.

Yeah I'm a bit worried about the balance. I did switch my ship back to diesel to use more of it, and so far I'm doing okay without flaring any diesel at all, but we shall see! Thanks for the heads up.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

The Locator posted:

So I've got a power question. This is my current primary power plant, and yes I know now that it would probably run perfectly fine with only 2 cooling towers and no pipe balancer for the low pressure steam. This started out with incorrect ratios on the high pressure turbines (3 generators per turbine) because I can't read, and before I had the low pressure turbines or cooling towers, so it's kind of 3 stages of power plant built as I got new stuff.

When I check the little "auto balance" check-box, things work fine for a while, and then I start getting flickering brown-outs and when I go check on the turbines they are right at the low redline and they simply can't spin up fast enough to prevent the power outages, so the diesel backups kick in.

Does auto balance just not work like it describes, or is there something inherently wrong here that I am not seeing?

There's N ticks before they spin up, right? I haven't done the math out but I wouldn't be surprised if that was your problem.

Also, high and low in direct serial seems to pass some mechanical power but throws an error and doesn't work quite right, but high:high and low:low work fine and further pave over this problem. And you shouldn't be cooling any output from your highs, 100% of their waste drives one low.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Locator posted:

How auto balance works is that it takes a bit before they spin up. So you want enough kinetic energy on a shaft that they can dip a bit and still not be below what you can use.

Right now you've got your power generation split between 4 tiny shafts. You can have all of those on one shaft. The high pressure turbines set to auto balance, and the low pressures set to always on. Add the proper amount of generators (2 per HP, 1 per LP) and 2-3 flywheels and you'll end up with a much better experience as all the generators will add kinetic energy to the same shaft. Basically how I set up my tier 1 generators is:

HP-HP-LP-LP-Genx6-FW-FW

(High Pressure, Low Pressure, Generator, Flywheel)

Note that the order on the shaft really doesn't matter, that's just the clean setup in my head. Tier 2 generators have a similar setup but the generators are a different shape and convert a different ratio of power so you'll have to rebuild stuff. The axle will transfer power through the whole thing. Heck, the axle will transfer power through unbuilt ghosts if you want.

The low pressure turbines should never be set to auto-balance as LP is always a byproduct of something else, and you don't want that to back up. LP lets you catch an extra 50% power from from any HP steam you put in a HP turbine, or use waste steam from a process to generate a bit of extra/free power.

Anyways, your problem is that even with flywheels you always slowly lose kinetic energy to friction. Since you have basically what I'd use in 1 generator split into four, you're losing 4x as much kinetic energy over time compared to what you could. Put everything on one shaft like I suggest and you'll have a way better time.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 24, 2024

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

For steam generators is it better to have all the turbines on the same shaft or should they be split up 2hp 1 lp per line? Or just keep stacking then until you run out of space?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Alkydere posted:

How auto balance works is that it takes a bit before they spin up. So you want enough kinetic energy on a shaft that they can dip a bit and still not be below what you can use.

Right now you've got your power generation split between 4 tiny shafts. You can have all of those on one shaft. The high pressure turbines set to auto balance, and the low pressures set to always on. Add the proper amount of generators (2 per HP, 1 per LP) and 2-3 flywheels and you'll end up with a much better experience as all the generators will add kinetic energy to the same shaft. Basically how I set up my tier 1 generators is:

HP-HP-LP-LP-Genx6-FW-FW

(High Pressure, Low Pressure, Generator, Flywheel)

Note that the order on the shaft really doesn't matter, that's just the clean setup in my head. Tier 2 generators have a similar setup but the generators are a different shape and convert a different ratio of power so you'll have to rebuild stuff. The axle will transfer power through the whole thing. Heck, the axle will transfer power through unbuilt ghosts if you want.

The low pressure turbines should never be set to auto-balance as LP is always a byproduct of something else, and you don't want that to back up. LP lets you catch an extra 50% power from from any HP steam you put in a HP turbine, or use waste steam from a process to generate a bit of extra/free power.

Anyways, your problem is that even with flywheels you always slowly lose kinetic energy to friction. Since you have basically what I'd use in 1 generator split into four, you're losing 4x as much kinetic energy over time compared to what you could. Put everything on one shaft like I suggest and you'll have a way better time.

This is really weird to me (the stuff everything on one shaft and it works better) but very helpful. This will mess up the pretty new design I made also, but are just ghosts currently.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

the moose posted:

For steam generators is it better to have all the turbines on the same shaft or should they be split up 2hp 1 lp per line? Or just keep stacking then until you run out of space?

HP to LP ratio is 1:1 (it used to be different but they realized it was kind of silly and changed it.) And I generally keep everything on an axle with only 2 HP on it. So that would also have 2 LPs on it feeding off of their waste steam. May also have two Super Steam if I'm using late game nuclear. I could go more but after a certain length power axles get kind of silly and unwieldy.

The Locator posted:

This is really weird to me (the stuff everything on one shaft and it works better) but very helpful. This will mess up the pretty new design I made also, but are just ghosts currently.

If you mouse over the information icon next to "Connected Shaft" it explains that they can take up to 72MW of kinetic energy.

Also there's two ways of storing power: the flywheels store kinetic power but have losses over time. You can also use Thermal Storage to store heat with no loss over time but you lose 20% up front.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Alkydere posted:

HP to LP ratio is 1:1 (it used to be different but they realized it was kind of silly and changed it.) And I generally keep everything on an axle with only 2 HP on it. So that would also have 2 LPs on it feeding off of their waste steam. May also have two Super Steam if I'm using late game nuclear. I could go more but after a certain length power axles get kind of silly and unwieldy.

If you mouse over the information icon next to "Connected Shaft" it explains that they can take up to 72MW of kinetic energy.

Also there's two ways of storing power: the flywheels store kinetic power but have losses over time. You can also use Thermal Storage to store heat with no loss over time but you lose 20% up front.

Redesigned and doubled using your suggestions.. old plant removed. So far so good, but I disabled the auto-balance again because of another brownout after everything was spun up. They just can't spin up from huge increases in power demand when I add in a big new section of the factory all at once, which of course uses a bunch of construction parts and turns everything in the assembly areas back on also.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Another cause for brownouts is likely you're just drawing more power than a single generator axle can produce. Each of those can produce 12 MW, while your picture shows you at 11.7 MW.

Once you reach that point it's probably best to leave one axle permanently on and then have the other on auto-balance to be ready to deal with any spikes. Then when you're regularly pulling another 8-10MW minimum build a third generator setup.

As a side note if you turn the turbines on an axle to be always on you don't need flywheels on it. You can save space/construction materials by not using them, but since they don't cost maintenance it's not a bad thing if you leave them on if you want a little insurance in case your fuel supply develops an issue.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Locator posted:

I'm talking about contracts. There are no contracts for sulfur or sludge available. Do I have to gift them a bunch of parts increasing the relationship level before it appears?

Sounds like you haven’t found the town with that contract yet. The menu I mentioned shows all discovered contracts, even if your relationship is too low to use.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was having a problem with my trash not producing enough low pressure steam for the turbine to fully spin up, wasting all that power. My solution:

Is there a better way rather than doing a manual toggle when my trash get full and staging it all like this? I need a RS latch! I'm really missing factorio circuits right now.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

How much steam are you even getting that it’s worth all that vs. just venting it?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enigma posted:

Sounds like you haven’t found the town with that contract yet. The menu I mentioned shows all discovered contracts, even if your relationship is too low to use.

Okay.. I just finished upgrading my ship engine so I'm not starting to explore further out so maybe I'll find it. Thanks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I was having a problem with my trash not producing enough low pressure steam for the turbine to fully spin up, wasting all that power. My solution:

Is there a better way rather than doing a manual toggle when my trash get full and staging it all like this? I need a RS latch! I'm really missing factorio circuits right now.

Honestly I'm more likely to use the waste steam from incineration to generate some free/cheap water with thermal desalination. Unless you have a big city you're not likely going to create enough steam for any real power.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Put it somewhere near another source of low pressure steam and use a priority balancer to use the trash steam when it's available, but otherwise use a steady source?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I do like to use all the buffalo but it's just 1-2mw of power right now. I expect probably 2mw once I get enough trash going. I still get the water from depleted steam once it's done with the low turbine. right now that refinery is my most major pollutant and I was trying to use the scrubber's output without a huge nest of pipes everywhere. If there was a kind of trick I can see that it'd be useful in multiple places, but maybe I can let it go.

I do like the long pipe instead of thermal storage. No loss!

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I hit end game and thought I’d mess about with the thermal storage, thinking I could do something useful with the excess power from my magic reactor since there’s no real reason not to run it full bore 24/7. However, it would seem that the “use surplus energy” setting on the boiler only applies to solar energy and not magic reactor energy, is that correct?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

Your acid draws creep up but it's at a point of the game you have a lot of options to keep creating more. It would be absolutely embarrassing if anyone was to add a few tanks to a gold refinery and microchip factory and end up putting all your current acid in transit out of short sighted bootstrapping at which point your copper comes to a stop. Just a complete amateur.

Just another argument for giving each consumer its own tank and each producer its own tank. I have a giant tank of acid connected to the producer and little tanks connected to my copper, my microchips, my enrichment, etc. As I said before, you'll never blitz through 2000 units of acid in one sitting unless you're doing some frictionless spherical cow poo poo on a test map.

Mandoric posted:

When you have access to superheated steam, even just from electric boilers with nukes never mind a breeder reactor, then you can go hog wild without worrying about flaring hundreds of diesel to keep the line going.

e:
Reactor I semi-closed-system production: 1.5 uranium rods + 800KW (counting the electricity you don't get, 90.8MW) = 396 hydrogen, 229.3KW per hydrogen + 1.5 spent fuel. Reactor II: 2 MOX rods + 4MW (counting the electricity you don't get, 124MW) = 540 hydrogen, 229.6KW (so slightly less efficient than Reactor 1!) per hydrogen + 2 spent MOX rods. Breeder: 4 core fuel = 1.15K hydrogen (208.7KW per) + 4 spent core fuel.

Electrolysis process, 3.6MW = 12 hydrogen, 300KW per hydrogen, plus hugely more space-intensive, at a time when electricity is far more dear to boot.

e2: there is probably a very good endgame production analysis in valuing everything by watts-to-produce. Including labor, to be honest.

You've got it right, but a bit backwards. You don't flare the diesel, you prioritize it off and send the leftovers toward the hydrogen endpoint. You are continously cracking downward toward Hydrogen. You siphon the diesel and crack the rest into Naptha. You siphon the naptha for rubber and plastic, and crack the rest into Fuel gas, then turn all the fuel gas into hydrogen and CO2 because the only thing that MUST use fuel gas is the Statue of Maintenance and you can power that via farts. If you have to flare anything, flare the hydrogen.

Also JD plays has a really good point; by abusing the fact that a pipe joint can transfer multiple materials, you can set up gas boilers to run off heavy and medium oil from a Distiller I for an entirely self-contained source of steam where the only inputs are water and crude oil. You need to prime it with steam to start, but once the system is charged it will self sustain off the oil coming in assuming you're not doing some steam-heavy cracking. This radically altered how I set up my refineries.

Which leads into the next point: don't just flare your hydrogen. Feed any excess back into the system to a separate boiler with higher priority than the heavy/medium oil boiler to get a discount on crude oil if for some reason you're overproducing hydrogen and need to keep the system running.

Alkydere posted:

Honestly I'm more likely to use the waste steam from incineration to generate some free/cheap water with thermal desalination. Unless you have a big city you're not likely going to create enough steam for any real power.

This is the answer. But... technically speaking, the Incinerator generates high steam, same as your boilers. If you want to use that steam for power, you're much better off using a pipe balancer to prioritize that steam into your power plant's main steam trunk to save boiler fuel, since the boilers will just delay their cycle until they can clear their steam outputs, thus saving you a bit of coal.

It's the same answer for desal honestly. You design for how much water/power you NEED, so you must have enough boilers powering enough generators/desalinators to serve that need consistently. Unpredictable sources like Incineration should be considered as fuel discounts and designed as such.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 24, 2024

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Enigma posted:

I hit end game and thought I’d mess about with the thermal storage, thinking I could do something useful with the excess power from my magic reactor since there’s no real reason not to run it full bore 24/7. However, it would seem that the “use surplus energy” setting on the boiler only applies to solar energy and not magic reactor energy, is that correct?

Yup. Solar power is intermittent so you have to have batteries for when they're not outputting very much. Meanwhile Nuclear power goes "FBRRRRR!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh neat, you can shred tree saplings into biomass now. I can finally stop getting notified that my sapling farm produced more than it could store.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Is it better to bury the trash or burn it? Im currently using it as land fill and have a fairly high health penalty from it but figured burning it would be just as bad without the benefits of new land.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The pollution from ground waste goes away fairly quickly. I want to say after 4 years?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I think it’s less of a health hit to burn it, particularly if you filter the exhaust. The penalty is based on how much waste you dumped recently, so it eventually goes away if you stop.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just broke into T2 research equipment and had to save and quit when I started looking at what to unlock first in the next research tier. Naphta is calling :ohdear:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

the moose posted:

Is it better to bury the trash or burn it? Im currently using it as land fill and have a fairly high health penalty from it but figured burning it would be just as bad without the benefits of new land.

I switched from landfill to burning after I finished pushing the majority of my exhaust gasses into scrubbers, and I went from air pollution 8 and landfill pollution 7 to air pollution 4 and landfill pollution 0. This is with the first available burners and 1700 population. So basically it looks to me like it's 50% pollution to burn it.. maybe even more since I still have 4 exhaust stacks from coal powered water distillation that I'm not currently pushing through treatment. I'm also not scrubbing exhaust from iron or copper forges.. so yeah I think it's absolutely much lower pollution to burn it even if you aren't recovering anything at all from that process using basic burners.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

explosivo posted:

I just broke into T2 research equipment and had to save and quit when I started looking at what to unlock first in the next research tier. Naphta is calling :ohdear:

I've just shut down all my research after hitting the T3 labs stage where I need to get into and produce semiconductors or something. I have so much stuff to build/fix and get into before that point.. most of my factory (like concrete slab production) is still in the very first tier of things. I've got to completely re-do my oil refining/cracking as I'm barely touching any of the advanced stuff. I'm not using advanced smelting.. basically all except my basic parts manufacturing at this point has more advanced systems/methods available that I've not even started. Game is crazy detailed in processes and advancements and it's not nearly as simple as 'upgrade this building to T3' except in a very few cases. Instead the entire process just gets more complicated!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Captain of Industry is great because it doesn't just do linear upgrades.

Everything you have works good now, but what if it worked better? You like that? Well here's this lovely complexity, and how you deal with it is up to you.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

the moose posted:

Depends. It's good landfill, and while the pollution sucks, pollution is manageable. On the other hand, you can burn it with fuel gas to get high steam and exhaust.

Alkydere posted:

Captain of Industry is great because it doesn't just do linear upgrades.

Everything you have works good now, but what if it worked better? You like that? Well here's this lovely complexity, and how you deal with it is up to you.

That's what keeps my broke brain in the game. I have a perfectly good oil setup I grabbed from the hub. But I want it to focus on hydrogen, not everything. So I'm going to be revamping it soon and getting rid of the blueprinted version. You have a perfectly functional if dirty coal power plant, but if you commit to removing that pollution by adding complexity, you can get some useful sulfur and carbon dioxide for your effort. You can even make it water positive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I do wish the game was better about notifying you when you get a new recipe in an old building. I only just realized my hydrogen reformers can crank out hydrogen from steam now, which is rad!