Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
But Who? WHO!?
Cowboys
Giants
Eagles
Washington Football Team
gently caress it, 4-way 8-8-1 tie no survivors
View Results

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

euphronius posted:

Cowboys should go gently caress themselves, then draft a QB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Dak has a severe intangibles deficit. You won't find this on your stat sheets.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jayden Daniels era has begun.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Eagles look like they can sit tight and have a good choice of several defensive players.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
kind of annoyed Eagles didn’t take the meme DB

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah, would have been easier to swallow the secondary still being the worst in the league and absent on 3rd downs if we could just say we did it for the memes.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The line for a selfie with Tommy Cutlets was out the door tonight. We didn’t get to him.

Bobby Okereke was very nice. Took a min to talk to my kids. Deonte Banks was kind of standoffish.

The crowd was kinda meh on the WR. The air came out of the room when Marvin Harrison was picked. I think everybody wanted the QB.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why, you guys have Tommy cutlets who is clearly still selling big. Be thankful your team didn't gently caress up and draft jj or nix or penix.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/NBC4Sports/status/1783707817548927160

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anybody eyeballing Spencer Rattler for their backup and what round would you take him in? I don’t think he makes it to round 3, definitely not 4.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Looking forward to Washington getting some press this year with our new QB.

Edit - positive press

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just come to Philadelphia already Micah.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1783691601807613965?s=19

Clearly hates it in Dallas

https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/status/1783705819877392833?s=19

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Got the legs:

https://x.com/obvlon/status/1769394202574569891

Got the arm:

https://x.com/RunYourPool_/status/1783654184090235202

Got the brain:

https://x.com/danorlovsky7/status/1783654375832875330

It’s all there, and I’m excited. Hope we don’t get RG3-ed…

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Didn’t RG3 have trouble with progressions at the NFL level and would scramble if the first read or two weren’t open? Daniel’s seems better at that at least

Don’t follow football super closely but have been hoping for, lemme check my notes, decades now Washington could get their poo poo together. I guess it’s another stab at a new era

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://twitter.com/rubythevalley/status/1783692724979605983?s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I haven't watched any draft stuff or kept up with anything. Was last night just the first round? Who was taken by each NFCE team? Thank you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't watched any draft stuff or kept up with anything. Was last night just the first round? Who was taken by each NFCE team? Thank you.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

While I appreciate the link, I figured someone here actually had information about the players like a few sentences about who they were or whatnot.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That’s exactly what that link provides? Click each name and you get paragraphs of that.
:confused:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Levitate posted:

Didn’t RG3 have trouble with progressions at the NFL level and would scramble if the first read or two weren’t open?

Yes. RG3's rookie season was as successful as it was in part because of his athleticism, which is what most people focus on because he got hurt at the end of the year, but it was also greatly helped by Washington running one of the first true option offenses in the NFL. Some people may remember that in the preseason that year, Mike Shanahan had them running the most vanilla version of his offense that was basically all plays he'd run in Denver in the mid-90s, then suddenly on opening day it was all options and other stuff which hadn't been seen. Other teams at the time had no idea how to defend the QB read stuff, as basically nobody else was doing it*, and it was giving Griffin some pretty clear and easy looks. He was mostly being asked to read one or two guys on one half of the field, if they weren't there he'd take off, and defenses were frequently utterly confused by it all. It also is worth mentioning RG3 was an absolutely reckless runner, who never made much of an effort to protect himself, so he was regularly getting blown up on big kill shots and IIRC missed time with a concussion that season, so at the time lots of people were expecting him to get hurt, it was just expected to be from some linebacker or safety, not the lovely turf at his home field.

Fast forward to after his rookie season, where he probably wasn't fully healed and may have lost some confidence in his running ability, and he simply couldn't execute the offense correctly. Washington had begun to switch to a bit more conventional offense, less focused on the read stuff as teams were steadily becoming more capable of defending it and also not wanting to get Griffin murdered. There were tons of breakdowns of this going around at the time. Here is one random one I grabbed by Chris Cooley, which includes pictures showing the reads and whatnot, where he had open guys and either threw bad picks or took sacks. There was another, which you can see here, where he had all five receiving options wide open:

Literally no defenders within 5 yards of any of them, and a clean pocket... where he scrambled and IIRC ended up taking a sack.

*Carolina had started some of it the year before in 2011 with Cam Newton, but his unique physicality was a different style than RG3. Denver had done some with Tebow the year before as well, but Tebow was hardly a passing threat. During RG3's rookie season in 2012, Seattle would begin to incorporate some themselves with Russell Wilson, and mid-season, San Francisco would also use it to great effect once Colin Kaepernick became the starter.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

fartknocker posted:

Yes. RG3's rookie season was as successful as it was in part because of his athleticism, which is what most people focus on because he got hurt at the end of the year, but it was also greatly helped by Washington running one of the first true option offenses in the NFL. Some people may remember that in the preseason that year, Mike Shanahan had them running the most vanilla version of his offense that was basically all plays he'd run in Denver in the mid-90s, then suddenly on opening day it was all options and other stuff which hadn't been seen. Other teams at the time had no idea how to defend the QB read stuff, as basically nobody else was doing it*, and it was giving Griffin some pretty clear and easy looks. He was mostly being asked to read one or two guys on one half of the field, if they weren't there he'd take off, and defenses were frequently utterly confused by it all. It also is worth mentioning RG3 was an absolutely reckless runner, who never made much of an effort to protect himself, so he was regularly getting blown up on big kill shots and IIRC missed time with a concussion that season, so at the time lots of people were expecting him to get hurt, it was just expected to be from some linebacker or safety, not the lovely turf at his home field.

Fast forward to after his rookie season, where he probably wasn't fully healed and may have lost some confidence in his running ability, and he simply couldn't execute the offense correctly. Washington had begun to switch to a bit more conventional offense, less focused on the read stuff as teams were steadily becoming more capable of defending it and also not wanting to get Griffin murdered. There were tons of breakdowns of this going around at the time. Here is one random one I grabbed by Chris Cooley, which includes pictures showing the reads and whatnot, where he had open guys and either threw bad picks or took sacks. There was another, which you can see here, where he had all five receiving options wide open:

Literally no defenders within 5 yards of any of them, and a clean pocket... where he scrambled and IIRC ended up taking a sack.

*Carolina had started some of it the year before in 2011 with Cam Newton, but his unique physicality was a different style than RG3. Denver had done some with Tebow the year before as well, but Tebow was hardly a passing threat. During RG3's rookie season in 2012, Seattle would begin to incorporate some themselves with Russell Wilson, and mid-season, San Francisco would also use it to great effect once Colin Kaepernick became the starter.

Yeah that sounds right...seems like Daniels has been playing a more pro style offense at LSU already and has been expected to read coverages and go through progressions at least. Still hard to shake uneasiness of the "slim build fast running quarterback that takes too many hits" comparison though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He was an absolute magician at faking the handoff too, you never knew if he was keeping it or giving it to the RB. The ball would be clutched by the RB and then at the last possible second RG3 would somehow still have it and be running in the opposite direction of the defense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

so washington drafted a qb, giants a wide receiver, eagles a cornerback, and dallas an offensive tackle?

I'm more wanting goonalysis of things than what espn says. I need to know my appropriate level of outrage on the successful picks of my opponents and the terribleness of my own team's picks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will tell you about this draft in 2025

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All of us did good though you can possibly criticize the Giants for not taking a QB and going another year with Daniel Jones. But that wide receiver they got is scary as gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

I will tell you about this draft in 2025

Tell me about last year's. I wanna know your thoughts.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mr. Nice! posted:

so washington drafted a qb, giants a wide receiver, eagles a cornerback, and dallas an offensive tackle?

I'm more wanting goonalysis of things than what espn says. I need to know my appropriate level of outrage on the successful picks of my opponents and the terribleness of my own team's picks.

Washington: QB whose draft comparison on NFLN was RG3, so knowing their field, it will destroy him too.
Giants: WR but their QB room is still Danny Dimes, 🤌Tommy Cutlets🤌, and Drew Lock, so does it really matter?
Eagles: A good DB apparently because the insane early run on offense?
Cowboys: gently caress the Cowboys

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fartknocker posted:

Washington: QB whose draft comparison on NFLN was RG3, so knowing their field, it will destroy him too.
Giants: WR but their QB room is still Danny Dimes, 🤌Tommy Cutlets🤌, and Drew Lock, so does it really matter?
Eagles: A good DB apparently because the insane early run on offense?
Cowboys: gently caress the Cowboys

Thoughtful and inspired analysis. Thank you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Tell me about last year's. I wanna know your thoughts.

The guy the eagles got has talent but I question his attitude. It takes a long time for DTs to mature so we will see this year

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You can also criticize the Commanders for not being able to trade back up and get a OT to protect their new prize. Apparently they tried but reports are they weren’t really serious about it and it was just token offers. They have picks 36 and 40, I expect them to take a Cornerback at 36 and then grab whatever OT is still there at 40.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants were sort of in a pickle in that if they take a QB, it would have been a reach for any of the ones available at 6, and he wouldn't have a good WR room to throw to, and Jones is still there for 2024 anyway

But if they took the blue chip WR, he has garbage throwing to him and they have to wait the year out to see what happens next offseason. It was kind of a no win situation there for fixing both problems

If the line holds up Nabers will absolutely make the offense better. I'm just glad they didn't trade up for McCarthy at all and stayed put and took BPA. I don't think McCarthy was a good fit anyway

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I really hope Guyton works out and the Cowboys don’t regret passing on Barton in exchange for that extra third rounder. For some reason while watching the draft I lost track and thought he’d been taken in the top 20 and was stoked when he was available at 24.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Levitate posted:

Didn’t RG3 have trouble with progressions at the NFL level and would scramble if the first read or two weren’t open? Daniel’s seems better at that at least

Don’t follow football super closely but have been hoping for, lemme check my notes, decades now Washington could get their poo poo together. I guess it’s another stab at a new era

Just my opinion:

Daniels is a much better passer coming out of college than was RG3. LSU's offense is more "pro" than what RG3 ran at Baylor. Daniels is more accurate iirc, though both throw a great deep ball. That said, while Daniels has above average arm talent, RG3 had a cannon. I think he even threw a fast ball that dislocated Santana Moss' finger.

As runners they are similar, save that RG3 was straight line, where Daniels has considerably more wiggle (though not on the same level as Vick or Jackson). Both too has wide out type builds. RG3 had horrendous vision and pocket awareness; I'm afraid Daniels may only be somewhat better. That is where the worry lies: running into a defensive tackle lead to the end of RG3's career.

RG3 blew out his knee in college; Daniels has been comparatively healthy. Daniels seems to be a more level headed person than RG3, and more willing to take coaching. Plus, Dan Snyder is no longer around: his enabling of RG3 as coach was the worst thing that ever happened to RG3. RG3 decided he didn't want to run the option after his rookie year, and Snyder backed him. Unfortunately, he was not developed enough to be a pure drop back passer and he fell flat.

There are a lot of people today that are very anxious of a repeat, but RG3 may have been fine had Snyder not interfered in his rookie year and that off-season. I personally think Daniels is the better prospect. Let's hope for health.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 26, 2024

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The RG3 anxiety from fans is injury based. We have no offensive line and we’re worried he’s going to get killed and tear an ACL like RG3 did. I’m reserving judgement till I see the rest of the draft and our eventual product on the field. There’s also a chance to get some more below average journeyman OT’s in the rest of free agency.

Another thought is that Sam Howell got killed more often than not due to Sam Howell and not because of the putrid O line. Some think it really wasn’t as bad as he made it look. I think the blame is pretty equal between the two to be honest, but Jacoby Brisset did have success the few times he got in there. Some have argued we would’ve won more games had he played the rest of the way. But Harris ordered the tank and Ron delivered. Jayden would be a Patriot otherwise. Part of me still wants to see what half a season with Jacoby would’ve been like and the other just laughs and says it probably wouldn’t have been any better. We’ll never know.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I feel like Solak's breakdown gets to the things about Daniels I've been seen and heard that make me wary on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mejUOwAEr0

I think his ceiling is having 3-4 solid years before the wheels fall off. We'll see.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Have the wheels fell off lamar jackson? Honest question

Daniels is a better passer and a worse runner than him. If anything, he's more future proof than Lamar because his passing is much, much more developed.

If I had to comp I'd say Daniels is a lot like Justin Fields in the run game, and a lot like Bryce Young (as a prospect) in the pass game. Whether that ends up a winning formula, who knows.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yudo posted:

Just my opinion:

Daniels is a much better passer coming out of college than was RG3. LSU's offense is more "pro" than what RG3 ran at Baylor. Daniels is more accurate iirc, though both throw a great deep ball. That said, while Daniels has above average arm talent, RG3 had a cannon. I think he even threw a fast ball that dislocated Santana Moss' finger.

As runners they are similar, save that RG3 was straight line, where Daniels has considerably more wiggle (though not on the same level as Vick or Jackson). Both too has wide out type builds. RG3 had horrendous vision and pocket awareness; I'm afraid Daniels may only be somewhat better. That is where the worry lies: running into a defensive tackle lead to the end of RG3's career.

RG3 blew out his knee in college; Daniels has been comparatively healthy. Daniels seems to be a more level headed person than RG3, and more willing to take coaching. Plus, Dan Snyder is no longer around: his enabling of RG3 as coach was the worst thing that ever happened to RG3. RG3 decided he didn't want to run the option after his rookie year, and Snyder backed him. Unfortunately, he was not developed enough to be a pure drop back passer and he fell flat.

I feel like that was also the whole "your knee is hosed you can't run as fast as you used to we can't always use you for the option like we did year 1 so you need to learn how to be more of a pocket passer" and he just...couldn't.
Then again maybe Shanahan would have been happy to ride him into the ground with an option gameplan.
Long enough ago now that I can't be sure my memory is correct.

Cash Monet posted:

I feel like Solak's breakdown gets to the things about Daniels I've been seen and heard that make me wary on him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mejUOwAEr0

I think his ceiling is having 3-4 solid years before the wheels fall off. We'll see.

See, and I've seen other evaluations that say he goes through his reads fine, gently caress if I know who I'm supposed to believe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody eyeballing Spencer Rattler for their backup and what round would you take him in? I don’t think he makes it to round 3, definitely not 4.

Giants would make some sense in the NFCE. Raiders, Browns...maybe Dolphins, Bucs, Saints?

I'm one of the few who think that Rattler is going to be decent to good in the NFL and a better pro than he was a college player. Every draft has 4 or 5 "where the gently caress did that guy come from" picks and I think Spencer has a shot to be a steal.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 26, 2024

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jayden Daniels will be bad because Washington drafted him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1783575352033386698