Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How Many QB's "bust" out of this Class?
Whoever the Giants trade up for.
Bears QB Purgatory Continues
All of them.
None. They all become mediocre.
View Results

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CharlestheHammer posted:

We are so good we don’t need our first round is the kind of statement they can only backfire

Billy King famously said "We only think there are 3 good players in this draft" traded the pick, and there were in fact more than 3 good players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
the greatest running back in human history is in this draft and he hasn't been picked yet. this whole business is a loving SHAM give him his bag

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Radia posted:

the greatest running back in human history is in this draft and he hasn't been picked yet. this whole business is a loving SHAM give him his bag

He gets drafted tomorrow by Tatted Up Jimmy & Pals.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Takeaways from round 1 for me, a fan of a team with no first round pick

1. I am now kind of really annoyed we (the Texans) traded our first rounder away given how no defender was even taken til 15 and it was by far our biggest area of need just in general
2. I am distressed at KC getting Worthy
3. LOL Falcons but like, its one of those lols that starts out big and gets bigger the more you think about it. Every aspect of the pick was totally wrong but I think you can sum it up by saying its probably the first time in NFL history a team has drafted a successor QB before the guy he's succeeding has even taken a snap for them

Jaggedstagger
Jan 28, 2005
Yowza!

fast cars loose anus posted:

Takeaways from round 1 for me, a fan of a team with no first round pick

1. I am now kind of really annoyed we (the Texans) traded our first rounder away given how no defender was even taken til 15 and it was by far our biggest area of need just in general
2. I am distressed at KC getting Worthy
3. LOL Falcons but like, its one of those lols that starts out big and gets bigger the more you think about it. Every aspect of the pick was totally wrong but I think you can sum it up by saying its probably the first time in NFL history a team has drafted a successor QB before the guy he's succeeding has even taken a snap for them

Does Washington drafting Cousins in the same draft as RG3 count

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
A small corner?? Were no offensive linemen available? What is it with this team and obsession with dbs. Maybe just a bpa thing?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

You basically traded this year's first for Will Anderson Jr, which worked out.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mega64 posted:

You basically traded this year's first for Will Anderson Jr, which worked out.

Yes, that was our first, but we had the 23rd pick this year from Cleveland as part of the Deshaun Watson trade and we traded that to Minnesota a couple weeks ago for some more picks

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Yes, that was our first, but we had the 23rd pick this year from Cleveland as part of the Deshaun Watson trade and we traded that to Minnesota a couple weeks ago for some more picks

Well you dodged your team picking jj McCarthy so really you came out ahead.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

JJ landed in the best situation of all 6 so he's probably going to do pretty well and make a lot of smug stans

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Jaggedstagger posted:

Does Washington drafting Cousins in the same draft as RG3 count

Nah taking multiple shots on rookies when you have no QB is standard practice but since they gave Cousins 180 million presumably Atlanta believes they have a QB

Also even if you did want to draft the successor who sits for a few years now on their very stupid theory that this is the last time they'll be picking top 10 for a while, you dont draft a guy who'll be 24 before rookie camp for that role!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Put this in today’s GDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD_ZWkxu3SY

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I still cannot believe they drafted Penix.

https://x.com/4ourmanrush/status/1783718545597026398?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Even funnier that the Falcons are going to lose at least one pick from tampering with Cousins in next year's draft. Just a complete headscratcher of a pick.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lmao at the Falcons

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The Falcons are silly and should have gone OT or WR... but there is zero% chance Cousins plays all 4 years.

It’s relatively painless to get out of Kirk’s contract after year 2. And assuming the cap continues to go up, it’s rough but not fatal if the team wants to cut Kirk after year 1. The cap impact would be slightly offset by the fact that they’d have a starting qb on a rookie contract.

Falcons are still lmao though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The Falcons are silly and should have gone OT or WR... but there is zero% chance Cousins plays all 4 years.

It’s relatively painless to get out of Kirk’s contract after year 2. And assuming the cap continues to go up, it’s rough but not fatal if the team wants to cut Kirk after year 1. The cap impact would be slightly offset by the fact that they’d have a starting qb on a rookie contract.

Falcons are still lmao though.

If they trade him after June 1 he only has $12.5m in dead money and a cap savings of $12.5m.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

wandler20 posted:

If they trade him after June 1 he only has $12.5m in dead money and a cap savings of $12.5m.

everything is proceeding according to plan

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The more I think about it, "we drafted him here because we're gonna be good and won't get to draft this high again soon" is right up there with Gene Smith justifying drafting a punter in the third round with "I'd rather take a starter over a backup" as worst rationale for a pick ever

Granted the punter pick is way worse but they're both really stupid reasons to do the thing they did

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
a little late to things but lmao Atlanta, but :smith: that Penix is probably gonna have his prime years wasted by that trash org.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

seiferguy posted:

a little late to things but lmao Atlanta, but :smith: that Penix is probably gonna have his prime years wasted by that trash org.

He’ll almost certainly play at least some nfl games in the next 2 seasons :unsmith:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Expert insight from CBS Sports, although I could have told you this before the draft

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I wonder if the Falcons didn't draft Penix, if the Broncos would've traded down for a late first and a 2nd instead (still targeting Bo with the first), assuming that the Raiders would draft Penix. Drafting Bo so early really feels like a "gently caress WE GOTTA LOCK THIS IN OR WE'RE BONED' move.

e: I am not saying I dislike Bo, I just think we could've gotten more value than we did in reality.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 26, 2024

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I wonder if the Falcons didn't draft Penix, if the Broncos would've traded down for a late first and a 2nd instead (still targeting Bo with the first), assuming that the Raiders would draft Penix. Drafting Bo so early really feels like a "gently caress WE GOTTA LOCK THIS IN OR WE'RE BONED' move.

I can't remember where I read it (if it was a tweet or just a post here), but somebody said the Vikings, Broncos, and Raiders were each targeting different QBs and agreed not to jump one another until the Falcons screwed it all up. I think Penix was going to go to the Vikings, JJ to the Broncos, and Nix to the Raiders

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I can't remember where I read it (if it was a tweet or just a post here), but somebody said the Vikings, Broncos, and Raiders were each targeting different QBs and agreed not to jump one another until the Falcons screwed it all up. I think Penix was going to go to the Vikings, JJ to the Broncos, and Nix to the Raiders

Wow that's even more hosed up :laffo:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Penix to the Raiders I thought, they were openly big fans of each other and the Raiders did attempt to trade up for him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think JJ was always the guy for the Vikings (after Maye), so once Penix went off the board both they and the Broncos had to worry about the Raiders being the ones to mess it up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SNYGiants/status/1783925274196709635

Over/under 8 games before he demands a trade?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I think JJ was always the guy for the Vikings (after Maye), so once Penix went off the board both they and the Broncos had to worry about the Raiders being the ones to mess it up.

:iiam:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1783932419147505890

lol he looks so miserable

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

lol, lmao

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Agh. Poor guy.

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I posted it here via Peyton via Macafee/Bill.

Peyton obviously claimed they still got their guy. Lanning was at canzano yesterday claiming Denver loved Nix, so the claim is plausible? Lanning talked about Nix and Franklin, nothing about JPJ which was interesting now that he falling.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Those two Nabers videos couldn't be less remarkable in any way.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah lol a kid who has been getting flown all over the country for 24 hours is tired oh no

The giants got one of the best players in the draft and it's pretty cool

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Iodised QQ posted:

Yeah lol a kid who has been getting flown all over the country for 24 hours is tired oh no

The giants got one of the best players in the draft and it's pretty cool

It's going to be funny when he's demanding a trade in the middle of his rookie season.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
He's a WR, he's gonna be posting conspiracy theories on social media mid-season shortly.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The enemy smiles in blackest dawn

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

He's a WR, he's gonna be posting conspiracy theories on social media mid-season shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dude looks slightly nervous and/or tired as any college draftee going to the big league might and this tea leaf reading via tweet is very dumb

fsif posted:

Those two Nabers videos couldn't be less remarkable in any way.

absolutely