Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/BTnewsroom/status/1780991887245037691

Last week, Nemat Shafik, President of Columbia University in New York, called in the NYPD to clear an encampment of students protesting Israel's attack on Palestine. The day before, she had been called to testify before the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, and grilled by House Reps about an alleged spike in antisemitism at Columbia. The students were demanding that the University divest any investment in companies that support Israel. Police arrested 108 students. Some were suspended, evicted from student housing, and their student ID's deactivated.

This seems to have backfired, as hundreds more students and professors at Columbia have joined the protest.

https://twitter.com/cybersebb/status/1781048771310125120

Protests are springing up at universities across the country: https://apnews.com/article/gaza-war-campus-protests-966eb531279f8e4381883fc5d79d5466

Today, the LAPD arrested 93 students at USC. At the University of Texas at Austin, 500 students walked out, and police, on horseback and in riot gear, arrested at least 34 students and two members of the media. There have been protests at too many other schools to list here.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1783208021222416652

The reaction in the mainstream media has been overwhelmingly against the students, calling them antisemites, dupes of China and Russia, and terrorism supporters. There have been calls to send in the National Guard, for mass arrests, and for the students to be blacklisted from future employment.

Are these protests significant? Will they be crushed by violence? What about free speech (lol)? I think the hysterical response to these peaceful student activists to be pretty frightening....

Somebody has issued a correction as of 08:26 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1783368140614676814

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Columbia president:- I may have committed some slight stupidity

=====

‎Columbia University President: My summons to the police exacerbated the problem‎

‎The New York Times quoted sources as saying that Columbia University President Nemat Shafiq admitted at a meeting of the university's Council of Elders that her summoning the police to deal with students supporting Palestine exacerbated the problem.‎

‎The sources said the president of Columbia University met with the university's council of elders to justify the decision to call the students by police.‎

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%88%D9%82%D9%81

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Apr 25, 2024

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the stuff down in austin is nuts. anything abbot doesnt like thats within spitting distance of the capitol gets pwned lol, it wasnt even a particularly dug in protest

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ohtori Akio posted:

the stuff down in austin is nuts. anything abbot doesnt like thats within spitting distance of the capitol gets pwned lol, it wasnt even a particularly dug in protest

That's why it got owned, no tunnels

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

this guy is awesome. I hope to be such a Dad

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://x.com/trueanonpod/status/1783226445935808790?s=46&t=KjgCk8AMcWdgl97WT6zMuA

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Al-Saqr posted:

Columbia president:- I may have committed some slight stupidity

=====

‎Columbia University President: My summons to the police exacerbated the problem‎

‎The New York Times quoted sources as saying that Columbia University President Nemat Shafiq admitted at a meeting of the university's Council of Elders that her summoning the police to deal with students supporting Palestine exacerbated the problem.‎

‎The sources said the president of Columbia University met with the university's council of elders to justify the decision to call the students by police.‎

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%88%D9%82%D9%81

Being both a woman and a muslim, any response that wasn't over the top authoritarian would have had her painted as a hamas loving terrorist

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

500excf type r posted:

Being both a woman and a muslim, any response that wasn't over the top authoritarian would have had her painted as a hamas loving terrorist

Watch as she gets labeled that regardless.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
100 Students arrested at emerson, while george washington university students start their strike

===

More than 100 students supporting Gaza arrested from Emerson College

Boston police reported 4 officers injured and more than 108 students arrested during a protest at Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts, amid continued escalation of protests by U.S. college students demanding an end to U.S. support for Israel in its war on Gaza.

-

George Washington University students set up camp in support of Palestine

Al-Jazeera correspondent reported that students supporting the Palestinian cause are setting up a camp on the George Washington University campus in the US capital.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If that picture isn't photoshopped it's going to define the entire decade

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ohtori Akio posted:

abbot just stared down the feds and won hes got to be feeling pretty invincible

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al! posted:

abbot just stared down the feds and won hes got to be feeling pretty invincible

he pretty much can get away with whatever he wants and while I've read others downplay the influence of evangelicals who believe zion must be protected to ensure good Christians get raptured elsewhere, it absolutely cannot be downplayed among Abbot's base in texas it is where most of his support comes from in the state

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
America used to be an empire. Now we got some foreign head of state demanding we lock up and beat our rich children. That our leaders are listening to that jabroni just screams that our nation is washed. The gently caress?!?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Your nation is washed.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Students should stick to studying and leave politics to the adults. All this is doing is giving the fascists an excuse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

America used to be an empire. Now we got some foreign head of state demanding we lock up and beat our rich children. That our leaders are listening to that jabroni just screams that our nation is washed. The gently caress?!?

♫ the west is a single nondecomposable system ♫

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

did any of the encampments survive the night?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
EDIT: COOL ZONE IS BACK BAYBE OPSEC EDITS AND MYSTERIOUS MESSAGES ITS PROTEST SEASON

KirbyKhan has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Apr 26, 2024

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

da cool z0ne 2.0

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

student protestors ftw

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

da cool z0ne 2.0

Oh gently caress, that is what this is. Undercover cops stay out

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/1783467208703701122

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://twitter.com/PalHighlight/status/1783312569911971942
https://twitter.com/RevPermanente/status/1783450554779267235

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

da cool z0ne 2.0

mod endorsement

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gonna post my wildest poo poo here knowing the whole thread is gonna get dumped in the vault where they keep the Ark of the Covenant

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Excited for this to be moved to the mod forum in 3 weeks.

KirbyKhan posted:

Gonna post my wildest poo poo here knowing the whole thread is gonna get dumped in the vault where they keep the Ark of the Covenant

gently caress

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

oubliette-posting

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

KirbyKhan posted:

thank you kirby

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The campus poo poo is really heartening and all but what I'm really stoked for is watching as this thread breaks the mega- barrier and becomes insular around a specific set of posters whose outsize time spent posting creates some sort of celebrity microcosm and feeds into a spiral of real life derangement that ends up with a multitude of posters defending a thread superstar for like braining a cavapoo with a brick.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

CheetoVonTito posted:

So the movement is growing.
So far I’ve accumulated this list of universities protesting:

US:
New York University (NYU)
Columbia
University of Rochester
University of California at Berkeley University of Southern California (USC)
California State Polytechnic University
Yale
Emerson College
Cornell
George Washington University (GWU)
Northwestern University
University of Maryland
Harvard University
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Tufts
University of Delaware
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
Princeton
University of New Mexico
Ohio State University (OSU)
University of North Carolina (UNC) Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina (UNC) Charlotte
Temple University
University of Pittsburgh
Brown University
Vanderbilt
Florida international University
Texas A&M - College Station
University of Texas - Austin
University of Texas at Dallas
Indiana University Purdue

International:

Sorbonne University- Paris
Sciences Po- France
University of Sydney- Australia
University of Melbourne- Australia
Ankara University- Turkyè

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

it’s so wild to me that they could have just waited two or three weeks and 60-90% of these kids would have been home for summer and you don’t have to think about it

nah, better freak out like maniacs and globally exacerbate the issue

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

slowly wheeled in among crates labeled "mangosteen" "goldbelly" and "vilerat lols"

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I hope the kids win

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

500excf type r posted:

I hope the kids win

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Danger posted:

The campus poo poo is really heartening and all but what I'm really stoked for is watching as this thread breaks the mega- barrier and becomes insular around a specific set of posters whose outsize time spent posting creates some sort of celebrity microcosm and feeds into a spiral of real life derangement that ends up with a multitude of posters defending a thread superstar for like braining a cavapoo with a brick.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

critical support to the kids

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Danger posted:

It's my time to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

It's worth noting there's 3 Cal Polys (idk why) and Cal Poly Humboldt is the one with the cop bonking video & where they're still protesting.