Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ohtori Akio posted:

the stuff down in austin is nuts. anything abbot doesnt like thats within spitting distance of the capitol gets pwned lol, it wasnt even a particularly dug in protest

I was at the protest after work yesterday here in Austin. I'm gonna be honest, I've seen some hosed up poo poo from the cops here before, but never like this. They were escalating poo poo for absolutely no reason. It was hosed man

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Why the students' heart is in the right place but protest without class consciousness can only take them so far:

A bit of a curveball, look at the limits of protests informed by morality alone when they are captured by the Republicans instead of the Democrats. Obvious and implicit racism aside, many of the things the Moral Majority demanded in the 70's and 80's are things many people would like: family life, the ability of people to provide for themselves (a charitable interpretation of their case against welfare), a world where even unwanted children can have a good future (ditto their moral outrage at abortion), and obviously the moral case against crime and drugs. There was a strong moral case that things needed to change in America. They weren't wrong in the material conditions they observed. They weren't wrong in being upset by them. Where they failed (again, racism aside) was that they lacked class analysis. They saw an America gripped by all of those moral problems listed above.

Here's the thing: those are all symptoms of poverty.

By devoting their moral energy to the Republicans, these people made every single one of those issues worse, often much worse. Everything they supported to combat the problem of drugs slammed the accelerator on why people use drugs in the first place, or, as felons, have to make their living in the illegal economy. Everything they did to "strengthen the family" by targeting single mothers and cutting welfare, very obviously made things much worse. We know that in survey after survey for 60 years African Americans express more of a desire for lifelong marriages, raising children in a family, even showing strong support for waiting to have children until after marriage! That's amazing, right? That should be fantastic news!

But, without class consciousness, the religious right interpreted the lack of those things as indicative of, to put it very mildly, African American "culture" or "immorality", which just means race. So, they supported policies that further immiserated them and made the issues worse. For instance, decrying single mothers is at complete odds with the mass incarceration of African American men and the destruction of the industrial economy that provided stable middle class homes to African Americans (which every survey says they desire, and always have: steady, legal, work, that can provide for a family). The idea that African Americans prefer their current social conditions, which are immoral, is absurd. It's immoral what's been done to them (by capitalism) not what they're doing. (Or rather, of course people become immoral when they live in Hell, essentially.)

That's the problem with morality as the only frame of reference, where morality's greatest concern is not the greatest evil - the systemic evils of capitalism.

Now, returning again to Israel, morality only analysis does work, because stopping a genocide, ceasing bombing, abolishing a prison camp, a state for a displaced nation, restitution, each of the moral resolutions also brings about a material result. So again, in that narrow case, I think it's fine.

The problem is that the cause of America supporting and arming Israel would still go unresolved. America would still be immoral even if these specific, immoral actions ceased, and there'd be no reason to think they wouldn't happen again, elsewhere. The cause can't be understood in moral terms, because and this has always halted people, no nation proclaims itself to be unabashedly evil or immoral, and nobody wants to fully believe that of their own country, so it must be some people, or some policies, that are causing everything to be bad, and if things were just reformed, America could return to being America The Good, or the Shining City on the Hill or whatever.

Well, obviously we know that's not true, but that's because we have identified a material cause, not a moral one. We're not stuck at thinking this is evil lurking in the hearts of some people in a system that is basically good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Iran smugly pointing out how america is oppressing its student protestors

====

Abdullahian: Repression of protesters at American universities angers world public opinion

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdullahian said U.S. security forces’ crackdown on university protesters — on Israel’s crimes in Gaza — angered world public opinion.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31602;&%231601;

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

a whole new thread gets exposed to ff thought… just remember while he has the heart of a poster he is an actual, literal monarchist lol

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

congress speaker says the protestors are backed by hamas

===

US House Speaker: Hamas Supports Protests at Columbia University

U.S. House Speaker Mike Johnson said the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) supported protests at Columbia University.

“What happened at the hands of Hamas is appalling, yet the protesters waved the flags of the perpetrators of those crimes,” he added.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

my_custom_username posted:

A sad little fact to put things into perspective, a Gallup poll taken right after the Kent State shootings showed that the majority of Americans (~60%) thought the students were to blame for the shooting. Only about 10% blamed the National Guard

seen that thrown around elsewhere, but have you heard about material conditions

Kent State was in 1970. This is 2024. There are no available industrial jobs that trained you (I mean specifically you Americans), paid well from the start and allowed for a confirmed substantial improvement of the standard of living upon retirement.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mandel Brotset posted:

a whole new thread gets exposed to ff thought… just remember while he has the heart of a poster he is an actual, literal monarchist lol

ff is juche by ideological reverse-engineering. it's an ongoing process

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Red-brown alliance ftw

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hey kids,

*straddles chair backwards, leans in*

dead gay comedy forums posted:

have you heard about material conditions

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I was at the protest after work yesterday here in Austin. I'm gonna be honest, I've seen some hosed up poo poo from the cops here before, but never like this. They were escalating poo poo for absolutely no reason. It was hosed man

yeah I guess I shouldn’t be surprised cause fash gonna fash but they coulda just waited a few weeks and class was gonna break for the summer? They’ve clearly decided to break these kids to send a message but all they’re doing is radicalizing more of them. Guys who’s only tool is state violence against their own etc etc

Morbus
May 18, 2004

jokes on u im gonna work for hamas

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

youcallthatatwist posted:

This is a lot of words about a lot of things, but no evidence that the students have no politics beyond moral objections.

In case you'd like to see some of the chatter on the ground, and aren't just assuming that only dead gay comedy forum posters have the intellect needed to develop class consciousness, here's a report from the students who took a building:

https://es.crimethinc.com/2024/04/23/report-from-within-the-cal-poly-humboldt-occupation-the-occupation-of-siemens-hall#further-resources

I used the latest Phlebotomy and Phrenology.

ff is juche by ideological reverse-engineering. it's an ongoing process

I was just reading volume V of Toynbee, and he does make the case that dynamic monarchism and Marxism have the same origins in the internal and external proletariat overthrowing a dominant minority (capitalists) that had caused the stasis of their civilization. The creation of a universal state is the inheritance of the proletariat from the dominant minority, which must then create a universal rule to preside over it justly. He says specifically that the dictatorship of the proletariat fulfils this, just as the Hapsburgs overcame the dominant minority in the Imperial Lands, the House of Luxembourg, formed an alliance with the external proletariat, the Hungarians, and so made the Holy Roman Empire a universal state.

e: Discussion of Marx starts on p 25, Vol V, where he is compared to Saint Simeon.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Apr 25, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't think the students are looking to overturn the capitalist order tbh, I think they just want the US to openly backing very clear genocide. I don't think poverty or material conditions have much to do with it compared to the US openly supply weapons for mass murder by one of their lackies.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

congress speaker says the protestors are backed by hamas

===

US House Speaker: Hamas Supports Protests at Columbia University

U.S. House Speaker Mike Johnson said the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) supported protests at Columbia University.

“What happened at the hands of Hamas is appalling, yet the protesters waved the flags of the perpetrators of those crimes,” he added.

I think Hamas did put out a statement of solidarity

The PFLP did put out a call today for Arab university students to follow the lead of Americans and start encampments and protests on their campuses

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think there is a certain jealousy that these old fucks all the way across the world get free guns and infinity dollars while citizen students must pay to their student loans. It is justified. Vassal states should pay tribute to the USA, not the other way around that poo poo is backwards.

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
unc is savvier since letting the confederate statue protests pick up steam after charlottesville. they sent the grounds crew to break up the sjp encampment last week while the cops stood around. no photos or chanting, no tenure to protect staff choosing to side with the students. apparently the students packed up and left before dinner.

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2024/04/opinion-oped-brannigan-protests

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

texas police, much like the idf, are useless against anything but defenseless civilians

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

america is such a shithole fascist country

===

George Washington University student source: Administration has given us 6 hours and security threatened to arrest us

A participant in the student protests at George Washington University said the university administration had given protesters 6 hours before removing protest tents, noting that security threatened them with arrest.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...?update=6482819

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
https://www.instagram.com/immigrationcoalition?igsh=MWd4dHJ0b3o3dGV6dA==

Live at an encampment

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think Hamas did put out a statement of solidarity

The PFLP did put out a call today for Arab university students to follow the lead of Americans and start encampments and protests on their campuses

sadly i think arabs and arab students are a dead, cowed and sheepified people. the arab spring and the aftermath broke their spirit.

btw if arab students protested and striked its aitomatic machine gunning from the governments so sadly not gonna happen.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Morbus posted:

Hey kids,

*straddles chair backwards, leans in*

Morbus
May 18, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I used the latest Phlebotomy and Phrenology.

I was just reading volume V of Toynbee, and he does make the case that dynamic monarchism and Marxism have the same origins in the internal and external proletariat overthrowing a dominant minority (capitalists) that had caused the stasis of their civilization. The creation of a universal state is the inheritance of the proletariat from the dominant minority, which must then create a universal rule to preside over it justly. He says specifically that the dictatorship of the proletariat fulfils this, just as the Hapsburgs overcame the dominant minority in the Imperial Lands, the House of Luxembourg, formed an alliance with the external proletariat, the Hungarians, and so made the Holy Roman Empire a universal state.

e: Discussion of Marx starts on p 25, Vol V, where he is compared to Saint Simeon.

Kids these days just don't have any coherent ideology, I mutter, as I crack open A Study of History, volume V while sitting buck naked in my computer chair wearing a velvet cloak and faded burger king cardboard crown

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Mandel Brotset posted:

what would a leftist space be without weirdos?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

America needs a cultural revolution right now. They should be running struggle sessions on administrators, with excessive extremity.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Columbia president:- I may have committed some slight stupidity

=====

‎Columbia University President: My summons to the police exacerbated the problem‎

‎The New York Times quoted sources as saying that Columbia University President Nemat Shafiq admitted at a meeting of the university's Council of Elders that her summoning the police to deal with students supporting Palestine exacerbated the problem.‎

‎The sources said the president of Columbia University met with the university's council of elders to justify the decision to call the students by police.‎

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%88%D9%82%D9%81

their board is called the Council of Elders?? Lmfao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

council of turds

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

In Training posted:

their board is called the Council of Elders?? Lmfao

council of smellders because they STINK

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What I hope to see in the summer months after the encampments reduce in size/strength for the summer is staff at various campuses taking up the struggle in their own way - through slowdowns, new unionization drives, any sort of collective action that can maintain the main demands of divestment. Students are supporting of it, some percentage of faculty is but from the uni's perspective these are completely replaceable cogs of their factory line. Staff are too to an extent, but harder to dislodge if they have the numbers to overcome any initial targeted retaliation.

Of course at-will administrators at private universities are very precarious and probably not paid super well. So it may be difficult to garner support beyond outspoken adventurists/moralists. Exciting times!!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Dean Wormer is gonna love this! *slips on a balaclava and hoists a River To the Sea sign*

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
this may be a controversial opinion but I believe the students are good and america/israel are bad

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

every single university rushing to sicc police on solidarity encampments because they all have zionist presidents or, i guess, presidents that are terrified that a woman is going to go on tv talking about how she got stabbed in the eye at their antisemitic campus? in any case it's fascist as hell and backfiring, and israeli officials screaming about it is just naking people hate israel even more, though that too probably is effective in that it makes the israel loving politicians in the US take heed and crack down harder like the zionist sellouts they are

Consolidated Ed
Mar 4, 2005
Lineman for Justice

Morbus posted:

Kids these days just don't have any coherent ideology, I mutter, as I crack open A Study of History, volume V while sitting buck naked in my computer chair wearing a velvet cloak and faded burger king cardboard crown

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Morbus posted:

missed this

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

In Training posted:

What I hope to see in the summer months after the encampments reduce in size/strength for the summer is staff at various campuses taking up the struggle in their own way - through slowdowns, new unionization drives, any sort of collective action that can maintain the main demands of divestment. Students are supporting of it, some percentage of faculty is but from the uni's perspective these are completely replaceable cogs of their factory line. Staff are too to an extent, but harder to dislodge if they have the numbers to overcome any initial targeted retaliation.

Of course at-will administrators at private universities are very precarious and probably not paid super well. So it may be difficult to garner support beyond outspoken adventurists/moralists. Exciting times!!

lots of faculty are basically at-will also. my phil professor has a phd (duh) and has been teaching on this campus since the early 2010s yet is still an hourly lecturer. they're reducing sections next semester due to lower enrollment (due to fafsa being bugged out the rear end this year) and he's so precarious he's asking us to take directed study so he can make rent. this guy is a prominent scholar who publishes articles and books with regularity. admin's really got the screws tightened down hard. very challenging environment to buck against capital.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

seen that thrown around elsewhere, but have you heard about material conditions

Yeah, exactly. The geist that these students represent is articulated by Bazard in Exposition de la Doctrine,

"In organic epochs, the goal of social activity is clearly defined; all efforts are dedicated to achieving this goal, towards which people are continuously guided throughout their entire lives by education and legislation. The general relationships being set, the individual relationships, shaped after them, are also set; the goal that society sets out to reach is revealed to all hearts, to all minds; it becomes easy to assess the capacities most suited to favor its tendency, and true superiority naturally finds itself in possession of power; there is legitimacy, sovereignty, authority, in the true sense of these words. Harmony prevails in social relations...

Critical epochs present a diametrically opposed spectacle. At their outset, it is true, there is a concert of activity, determined by the generally felt need to destroy; but divergence soon breaks out and becomes complete, from all sides anarchy manifests, and soon everyone is only busy appropriating a few remains of the edifice that collapses and disperses until it is reduced to dust. Then the purpose of social activity is completely ignored, the uncertainty of general relations passes into private relations; true capacities are no longer and cannot be appreciated; the legitimacy of power is contested by those who exercise it; the rulers and the ruled are at war; a similar war establishes itself between individual interests, which have acquired each lay a more marked predominance over the general interest."

Which is similar to de Gobineau's argument on the same subject. The spirit of the age is first felt in students, who are no longer governed by education, but use their education to understand and contest power at a time of divergence. In combination, Toynbee laid out the case for the internal proletariat rising in spiritual revolt:

"(The spiritual model of) social strife that accompanies the disintegration of any civilization has been almost effaced in the minds of Posterity by that tremendous picture of the class-war which has been painted - in colours borrowed from the apocalyptic visions of a repudiated religious tradition - by a Western philosopher of a later generation, the German Jew Karl Marx (vivebat AD 1818-83). The extraordinary impression which the Marxian materialist apocalypse has made upon so many millions of minds — and this often at second of third hand, and at levels of intellectual culture at which the Master's ipsissima verba would be unintelligible -is, of course, due in part to the political militancy, as well as to the philosophical impressiveness, of the Marxian diagram; for, while this 'blue-print' is the kernel of a general philosophy of history, it is also a revolutionary call to arms in which the industrial proletariat of our latter-day Western World is incited to secede from a 'capitalist' dominant minority and is invited to carry this act of secession to its logical conclusion by shaking off physically an odious and intolerable yoke against which it is assumed already to have risen in spiritual revolt."

"The interest of the Marxian eschatology for our present inquiry lies in the surprising yet unquestionable fact that this lingering political shadow of a vanished religious belief does accurately plot out the actual course which the class-war, or ‘horizontal’ schism, in a broken-down society is apt to follow as a matter of historical fact that can be ascertained from an empirical survey of the histories of societies in disintegration. History duly reveals to us in the phenomenon of disintegration a movement that runs through War to Peace; through Yang to Yin; and through an apparently wanton and savage destruction of precious things, created in the Past by Time and Toil and Love, to fresh works of creation that seem to owe their special quality to the devouring glow of the flame in which they have been forged.

The schism in itself is a product of two negative movements, each of which is inspired by an evil passion. First the Dominant Minority attempts to hold by force—against all right and reason—a position of inherited privilege which it has ceased to merit; and then the Proletariat repays injustice with resentment, fear with hate, and violence with violence when it executes its act of secession. Yet the whole movement ends in positive acts of creation—and this on the part of all the actors in the tragedy of disintegration. The Dominant Minority creates a universal state, the Internal Proletariat a universal church, and even the External Proletariat a levy of barbarian war-bands.

These three achievements are, no doubt, extremely unequal in the respective degrees of the creativity that they manifest. We have noticed at an earlier point that the universal church, alone of the three, has a prospect in the Future as well as a footing in the Past, while the universal state and the war-bands belong to the Past exclusively. And it hardly needs to be pointed out that, of the two backward-looking institutions, the barbarian war-bands are poor affairs indeed compared with the universal state. By creating a universal state the Dominant Minority performs the worthy feat of checking, for a time, the process of social disintegration which its own past action has precipitated, and thus enabling the temporarily reprieved society to enjoy a brief ‘Indian Summer’. In creating barbarian war-bands the External Proletariat has merely sharpened its predatory beak and claws in preparation for a carrion-crow’s feast upon a dead civilization’s carcass. Nevertheless there is a gleam of creativeness to be discerned, even here, in the contrast that strikes our eye if we compare the war-bands that were led by Theodoric the Ostrogoth to Rome, or by Mu’āwiyah the Umayyad to Damascus.

Thus the social schism that is the outward criterion of the disintegration of a broken-down society is not just a schism and nothing more . When we grasp the movement as a whole, from beginning to end, we find that we have to describe it as Schism- and-Palingenesia if we wish to give it a title that does it justice."

In Toynbee's framework, Palestine is clearly the "external proletariat," the people of Gaza are a group outside the core societal structure of the dominant political entities, in this case, Israel and its Western allies. This external proletariat is subjected to the policies and actions of a "dominant minority," the barriers around Gaza and the West Bank functioning like Hadrian's Wall or Offa’s Dyke, in maintenance of stasis. The ongoing genocide in Gaza represents a "schism" in the Toynbee sense - a deep and violent divide between a dominant minority and an external proletariat which cannot be suppressed. The dominant minority attempts to maintain control and assert its legitimacy through force, which is resisted by the external proletariat, leading to a cycle of violence and retaliation. This cycle precipitates the breakdown of societal cohesion as the dominant minority has built a universal state and expects, no, requires, universal sovereignty. "Israel has a right to defend itself."

Student protests in Western countries, against the genocide, can be seen as expressions of an "internal proletariat" in spiritual revolt. This group is within the society but feels alienated or oppressed by the dominant societal structures, which in this case are the political elites who maintain status quo policies. The response to these protests reveals the depth of the schism within the society - between those in power (the dominant minority) and those challenging that power (the internal proletariat). The forceful suppression of these protests, rather than addressing the underlying grievances, highlights the dominant minority's attempt to maintain control, further alienating the internal proletariat and exacerbating societal tensions. The dominant minority now finds itself warring on two fronts, unable to overcome neither internal nor external proletariat.

According to Toynbee, the trajectory of such societal conflicts does not end with disintegration alone; it also has the potential for palingenesis, or rebirth. In Gaza, any potential for rebirth would involve a transformative resolution that addresses the fundamental grievances of the external proletariat, incorporation and majority rule, or succession. For student protests, palingenesis must involve spiritual shifts that address the yearning of the awakened internal proletariat, redefining the social contract.The creative acts of the dominant minority, the internal proletariat, and even the external proletariat are vastly unequal in their impact and sustainability. The universal state created by the dominant minority might temporarily check disintegration but does not resolve the underlying issues. Similarly, the actions of the internal proletariat (e.g., forming new ideological or social movements) must have an opening, "barbarians at the gates", to throw the dominant minority off kilter and allow for the new world to be born, in a Gramscian sense.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Apr 25, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/daustinsanders/status/1783515633331712467

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

yeah I guess I shouldn’t be surprised cause fash gonna fash but they coulda just waited a few weeks and class was gonna break for the summer? They’ve clearly decided to break these kids to send a message but all they’re doing is radicalizing more of them. Guys who’s only tool is state violence against their own etc etc

Abbott just wants to flex for the news by sending in all these cops. And also signal to rural voters that he is tough on the libs. I guess.

The protest is back on anyway apparently back at the south lawn/tower

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

ftw

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Well I know one prosecutor who's going to be constantly attacked by blackshirt unions as soft on crime until she loses her job.

Or get murdered.

You wield the fasces or get chopped by it, lady.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Trespassing claims at Columbia and private universities were one thing but arrests for trespassing on public property seemed like an easy dismissal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

lots of faculty are basically at-will also. my phil professor has a phd (duh) and has been teaching on this campus since the early 2010s yet is still an hourly lecturer. they're reducing sections next semester due to lower enrollment (due to fafsa being bugged out the rear end this year) and he's so precarious he's asking us to take directed study so he can make rent. this guy is a prominent scholar who publishes articles and books with regularity. admin's really got the screws tightened down hard. very challenging environment to buck against capital.

Yeah adjuncts are in the worst position. It's insane how much unpaid labor colleges squeeze from them, my friends who teach higher Ed say it varies per campus but you basically get paid hourly for the length of the class time. So even if it takes 4 hours to prep for a lecture + grade assignments + do administrative back end of a course, you get paid for the 120 mins you are in a classroom and rhats it. It's bullshit!!