Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The 2024 NfL draft is over. We all know what that means…..TAKES! Post em if you got em. Rant about your wasted capital. Pound off as you insist your first seventh rounder is an insane steal. When in doubt about what your proper narrative should be, remember Matt taibbi’s NFL draft rules (draft the weed guy, draft Samoans) and then look to your preferred podcast to back up your knee jerk opinion.

I bet you never considered THIS opinion about the Michael Penix Jr. selection

What is this thread not for? Idk. Being rational? You can do that elsewhere. Thoughtful analysis or stupid keyboard pounding are both welcome here but mostly I’m looking for extreme reactions, either positive or negative. I feel like this thread usually gets posted earlier so if nobody cares now that it’s been like two whole days then let it die (preferably via cannon fire or being eaten by dogs).🐕

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baalke sucks. That is all. Dont mind the trade back for more picks and getting WR4 but overall too many physical freaks and not enough football players.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 29, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pittsburgh spent their first round and second round picks on interior offensive lineman.

I formally declare them “Goon Approved”

A+ draft

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'll give the Jets a B-. Should've found a way to trade up for a WR in the first round.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Pats needed a starting QB, a #1 WR and an LT.

I'm not sure they actually got any of those.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think Jets had a solid, safe draft that matched value to needs in their first 3 picks. They picked up a future 3rd by trading back a bunch. The rest are dart throws that likely wont amount to much.

Can't really have extreme opinions on oatmeal.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

I'll give the Jets a B-. Should've found a way to trade up for a WR in the first round.

Yeah, B/B- feels right for them. Maybe a B if you don't factor in the JFM trade, which kind of put a stink on Day 3. I'm happy with Olu Fashanu, even if I wanted Odunze more. He will see the field a ton this year. Also very happy with Corley, and cool with Braelon Allen as well. And Jordan Travis, sure, why not.

They got way too cute on Day 3 and left some talent on the board by repeatedly trading down (and out) of Round 4. But at the same time can't be upset about picking up the 2025 3rd from Detroit, which they can use at the trade deadline next year if they're in the mix (which they should be).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Pats needed a starting QB, a #1 WR and an LT.

I'm not sure they actually got any of those.

They got a top 3 QB, whether you think he is #2 or #3 is up for debate and didn't reach for JJ McCarthy. Win in my book

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Eagles drafted 4 good players in the last 5 years, took two overrated zone CBs, the worst running RB in the class, the crappy scion of a forgettable LB, and people are climbing over each other to yell how does howie keep getting away with this??

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Bismack Billabongo posted:

and then look to your preferred podcast to back up your knee jerk opinion.

:laffo:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The longer I've watched football the more I feel like post-draft takes are totally worthless. But I saw the 2021 draftermath posts in the other thread and now I want to have my bad takes exposed to future me.

I don't like the Keon Coleman pick. I think the Bills will regret taking him over AD Mitchell. I watched a YouTube video of every one of his targets in 2023 and he just looks like Gabe Davis—will make big plays here and there, but doesn't consistently separate, didn't appear to have reliable hands, and didn't really win all that many contested catches.

Cole Bishop seems basically fine; the Bills need a safety and I largely trust the FO to scout them.

I forgot the DT's name in the third but everyone keeps saying he was a team captain at Duke. I largely don't trust this FO on scouting defensive linemen so I'm going to predict he makes a Poona Ford-like impact.

Ray Davis's highlight reel looked awesome so I think I like that pick a lot. I just hope he's a guy that can just reliably pick up 1 yard every time on a 2nd and 1.

I don't remember who else they drafted. Just a lot of depth linemen I think.

Oh, and I think Xavier Worthy will have just enough highlight plays that I'll be subjected to "Why did the Bills let the Chiefs get this guy??" for the next half decade. I don't think Worthy will be a true WR1 and he'll probably be more like a souped up Marquise Goodwin, and I ALSO think the Chiefs would have still been able to draft him even without the Bills trading down, but I suspect he will bring about discourse that will irrationally annoy me.

fsif fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

fsif posted:

The longer I've watched football the more I feel like post-draft takes are totally worthless.

You’re right but that’s part of why it’s fun. Just post baby

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

They got a top 3 QB, whether you think he is #2 or #3 is up for debate and didn't reach for JJ McCarthy. Win in my book

Yes I mean they didn't make a completely asinine move isn't worthy of praise though. There were 3 top QB's projected in the draft, they didn't have a choice in the matter and got the 3rd one.

They then didn't find a way to find any kind of left tackle, so we're going into the season with:

a 3rd round project who was projected to be a day 3 pick and kick inside to guard that has never played LT.
the Steelers' backup RT
a backup from the Jets
Vederian Lowe again.

That's just like clearly the worst LT situation in the league, and disastrous for trying to actually develop a rookie QB.

I like the Polk pick, but even there, he's projected to be a Robert Woods type, that's not a #1 WR, useful piece if he works out for sure though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs hopefully got a long term solution at center in Graham Barton. A massive need and hopefully someone who can help improve the run game which has been awful for far too long.

Chris Braswell will probably be another bust pass rusher that Bucs drafted.

Tykee Smith could be the perfect slot corner for Bowles defense. Who knows if Bowles will be around long enough to see him pan out.

Jalen McMillan is getting a lot of love for being picked where he was. I don't know much about him but Liam Coen loves his slot receivers so I'll trust him.

Bucky Irving will probably stick because the Bucs have no depth at RB. Bucky the Buc!

The G (Elijah Klein) and TE (Devin Culp) drafted in the 6/7 rounds probably won't make the roster but could be practice squad guys.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I don't know poo poo about college football or evaluating players but I liked what the Ravens did, they managed to fill their three biggest needs with their first three picks without reaching (CB - Wiggins, OT - Rosengarten, EDGE - Isaac), added a needed vertical threat (Walker) and a steal (?) BPA with Tampa. Also a productive college RB (Ali) with ball security issues which isn't thrilling but if everything works he should be at best #4 on the depth chart anyway

I wish they addressed the iOL somehow (I wonder if the Michigan State center they drafted can play guard, but I guess not), that was their main mistake IMO

fsif posted:

Oh, and I think Xavier Worthy will have just enough highlight plays that I'll be subjected to "Why did the Bills let the Chiefs get this guy??" for the next half decade. I don't think Worthy will be a true WR1 and he'll probably be more like a souped up Marquise Goodwin, and I ALSO think the Chiefs would have still been able to draft him even without the Bills trading down, but I suspect he will bring about discourse that will irrationally annoy me.

Same thing with the Ravens picking Rosengarten and the Chiefs selecting Suamataia immediately after, the difference in this case is the Chiefs tried to trade with the Ravens but they did not accept. If Suamataia turns out to be the better player it will be annoying

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 29, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Broncos

Let's go pick by pick first.

Picks
1.12 - Bo Nix (QB): The dreaded reach. I'm happy with the player, especially the fact that Sean Payton likes him (God forbid a QB is drafted in whom he has no faith), but I do not like the 12th spent. I understand there's no guarantee of a trade down partner but I have a feeling the Broncos didn't even try after the Falcons hosed up the Vikings/Raiders/Broncos QB agreement. I think they panicked, and made the move to prevent the Raiders from potentially taking him. Fair enough, get your guy, but them's my thoughts.
3.76 - Jonah Elliss (DE): Awesome value, awesome dude. He has a ton of sacks and will be a great addition to the defensive line. I have no negatives to say about him.
4.102 - Troy Franklin (WR): Grabbing Bo and then going all-in by selecting his favorite receiver is pretty dope. I think he will be a great addition to the offense, especially if Sutton is traded or holds out or whatever (I'm seeing rumors in Broncos Country). If not then Sutton/Patrick/Franklin is a sexy trio in my eyes. I am, however, greatly concerned about a Patrick/Franklin/Mims unless Mims steps up. I do think Sutton gets what he wants in the end whether that's more money or a trade so we'll have to wait and see for that one. As far as Franklin is concerned, he does have catch consistency issues (hopefully fixable) but otherwise he is athletic and intelligent on the field.
5.145 - Kris Abrams-Draine (CB): I had him selected in the Goon Draft with the 3rd(!). So to see him drafted is great. He's a versatile corner who will contribute as a starter on Day 1 if he can get used to the bigger bodies of the NFL. His size could potentially be an issue but he's got everything else.
5.147 - Audric Estime (RB): A bruiser workhorse RB in the mold of Ingram. Perfect for Payton's offense and the ideal guy to kick Javonte in the butt. He's a likely starter this year if Javonte keeps declining.
7.235 - Devaughn Vele (WR): The good is that he has a huge catch radius and is an excellent route runner. The bad is that he doesn't always make use of his catch-radius (aka drop issues) and he's old AF. Special teamer if he makes the team, or depth, but probably not starting. What more can you ask for from a 7th though?
7.256 Nick Gargiulo (OL): Probably destined to be a backup Center but can also play Tackle. He's consistent and has few weaknesses but also lacks any exciting strengths. Seems to be average to above-average at his position but that's great for the Broncos in the long run if they can develop him. Not sure he ends up on the roster as any thing beyond depth unless dudes get hurt...but dudes do get hurt. :ninja:

Appendix
Da Trade with Da Jets -> 2026 6th for John Franklin-Myers (DL): a fookin steal that helps both teams, but the Broncos more. Cap space for the Jets, affordable starter for the Broncos. I'm only adding him here because the trade was made during the draft.

Summary
So with all that said, I'm genuinely happy with all the picks. Vele is the only one I'm kinda meh on but I think there is real concern the Broncos won't be able to offer what Sutton wants so will have to trade him. I think I personally would have gone TE here. Not happy with Bo's draft spot but I understand the necessity.

Overall Rating: B+

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 29, 2024

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

fsif posted:

I forgot the DT's name in the third but everyone keeps saying he was a team captain at Duke. I largely don't trust this FO on scouting defensive linemen so I'm going to predict he makes a Poona Ford-like impact.
DeWayne Carter. Plus the oddity of Javon Solomon at edge; lots of college sacks but also undersized.

I'm just hoping that Eric Washington wasn't a great DL coach. Bobby Babbich has done a great job at every position he has coached, and as DC he can now have more input in to the DL.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

everyone's comparing this to the 1983 NFL draft because 6 QBs were taken in the first round, but lets cast our minds back to when 5 QBs were taken in the first round

thats right baby, 1999

1-1 Tim Couch, Cleveland Browns
1-2 Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles
1-3 Akili Smith, Cincinnati Bengals
1-11 Daunte Culpepper, Minnesota Vikings
1-12 Cade McNown, Chicago Bears

draw comparisons as you will

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Lions addressed their glaring needs and rolled the dice on some high-upside guys, the Brad Holmes special. Wonder which Bama player we'll trade up for next year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Alaois posted:

everyone's comparing this to the 1983 NFL draft because 6 QBs were taken in the first round, but lets cast our minds back to when 5 QBs were taken in the first round

thats right baby, 1999

1-1 Tim Couch, Cleveland Browns
1-2 Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles
1-3 Akili Smith, Cincinnati Bengals
1-11 Daunte Culpepper, Minnesota Vikings
1-12 Cade McNown, Chicago Bears

draw comparisons as you will

Couch - JJ
McNabb - Caleb/Maye
Smith - Nix
Culpepper - Daniels
McNown - Penix

This is going to age poorly.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Bears either brought an end to the franchise-defining decades-long failure at the quarterback position or kicked off the most harrowing chapter yet in a still-ongoing saga. Nothing else about this draft will matter in comparison. Can't wait to find out which path we're taking. Da bears

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Niners got WR, CB, OL, and some other dudes. I assume their scouts and coaches and front office know far more about these dudes than I do, have a vision of how they want to use them and a plan for the team. So A+, good job drafting guys you liked, please win the SB.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I will never believe the bears have an offense until I see it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Also, this was a worthless draft because of zero northwestern players (malik Washington I guess counts)

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

The longer I've watched football the more I feel like post-draft takes are totally worthless. But I saw the 2021 draftermath posts in the other thread and now I want to have my bad takes exposed to future me.

I don't like the Keon Coleman pick. I think the Bills will regret taking him over AD Mitchell. I watched a YouTube video of every one of his targets in 2023 and he just looks like Gabe Davis—will make big plays here and there, but doesn't consistently separate, didn't appear to have reliable hands, and didn't really win all that many contested catches.

Cole Bishop seems basically fine; the Bills need a safety and I largely trust the FO to scout them.

Ray Davis's highlight reel looked awesome so I think I like that pick a lot. I just hope he's a guy that can just reliably pick up 1 yard every time on a 2nd and 1.

I don't remember who else they drafted. Just a lot of depth linemen I think.

For sake of completeness:
Round 2, Pick 33: Keon Coleman, WR, FSU
Round 2, Pick 60: Cole Bishop, S, Utah
Round 3, Pick 95: DeWayne Carter, DT, Duke
Round 4, Pick 128: Ray Davis, RB, Kentucky
Round 5, Pick 141: Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
Round 5, Pick 160: Edefuan Ulofoshio, LB, Washington
Round 5, Pick 168: Javon Soloman, DE, Troy
Round 6, Pick 204: Tylan Grable, OT, UCF
Round 6, Pick 219: Daequan Hardy, CB, Penn State
Round 7, Pick 221: Travis Clayton, OG, England

So, quite a haul of players: 10 picks in total is quite a lot! Of course, most of them were on Day 3, where you're just kind of throwing darts at the board, hoping you land someone who can contribute.

Don't love that Gabe Davis is a good comp for Keon Coleman: I guess they're hoping he'll look better with not-Jordan Travis throwing to him? I don't know anything LOL, but but you have to pass the ball well to win in the modern NFL, and the story of last year was receiving targets not named Dalton Kincaid or Khalil Shakir repeatedly disappearing in big moments...or making crushing mistakes like dropping sure touchdowns.

Elsewhere, you see them hedging their bets and planning for the future: with both Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde gone, safety is a big question-mark, and while Mike Edwards seems like a really good pick-up, leaning on Taylor Rapp is less of a sure thing, so Cole Bishop could see the field sooner rather than later.

DeWayne Carter and Javon Soloman are them attempting to address defensive line depth, something this regime has historically struggled with: Ed Oliver, Greg Rousseau, and DaQuan Jones are the regime's only hits, and all of them have an unfortunate habit of disappearing in big moments. Jones in particular is old and injury-prone, so shoring up depth behind him is sound.

I like that they took a center: between cutting Morse and trading away Ryan Bates, things got awful thin in the interior, especially at center. They'll probably cross-train him at guard.

Edefuan is the closest thing to a "luxury pick"(bit silly to use that descriptor about a 4th-round pick, I know): our top 2 there is set in stone. I imagine they envision him backing up Terrell Bernard and seeing lots of time on special teams. If he can make an impact there, that'll be nice.

Hopefully Ray Davis is a power guy, it would be nice to have someone other than Josh to count on in short-yardage situations.

Overall, who the gently caress knows. Certainly not me, who is ignorant of college football. 2024 is going to be a transitional year for this team anyway.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Kalli posted:

Yes I mean they didn't make a completely asinine move isn't worthy of praise though.

After the last 5-10 years of Bill that seems absolutely worthy of some praise :v:

They only had one medium headscratcher value-wise, took a very promising QB instead of loving around with tradedowns and whatever else, and double dipped on another huge need with no Tyquan Thortonesque overdrafts.

A+ just for the refreshment of it.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
The Raiders get an A for not completely making GBS threads themselves after the Falcons did dumb poo poo and just went with BPA for their picks instead of reaching for everyone. Showing a bit of restraint is a massive change from the last 20 years and it should be recognized as a good thing.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've been watching a little bit of Tez Walker cutups and I'm even lower on Maye now than I was before the draft. Walker bails him out often on some badly thrown deep balls. Admittedly, Walker also had more than his share of drops.

A nice thing about the draft is the clarity that comes with knowing a rookie's new team. Troy Franklin, Tez Walker, and Javon Baker all seem like incredibly promising WRs for day 3, but now that we know their teams we can say with reasonable certainty that Baker and Walker will never amount to anything.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Arizona stayed pat and took a stud. They plugged needs as well.

I'm not ready to call Ossenfort good but he sure does know what a football team does

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Broncos

Let's go pick by pick first.

Picks
1.12 - Bo Nix (QB): The dreaded reach. I'm happy with the player, especially the fact that Sean Payton likes him (God forbid a QB is drafted in whom he has no faith), but I do not like the 12th spent. I understand there's no guarantee of a trade down partner but I have a feeling the Broncos didn't even try after the Falcons hosed up the Vikings/Raiders/Broncos QB agreement. I think they panicked, and made the move to prevent the Raiders from potentially taking him. Fair enough, get your guy, but them's my thoughts.
3.76 - Jonah Elliss (DE): Awesome value, awesome dude. He has a ton of sacks and will be a great addition to the defensive line. I have no negatives to say about him.
4.102 - Troy Franklin (WR): Grabbing Bo and then going all-in by selecting his favorite receiver is pretty dope. I think he will be a great addition to the offense, especially if Sutton is traded or holds out or whatever (I'm seeing rumors in Broncos Country). If not then Sutton/Patrick/Franklin is a sexy trio in my eyes. I am, however, greatly concerned about a Patrick/Franklin/Mims unless Mims steps up. I do think Sutton gets what he wants in the end whether that's more money or a trade so we'll have to wait and see for that one. As far as Franklin is concerned, he does have catch consistency issues (hopefully fixable) but otherwise he is athletic and intelligent on the field.
5.145 - Kris Abrams-Draine (CB): I had him selected in the Goon Draft with the 3rd(!). So to see him drafted is great. He's a versatile corner who will contribute as a starter on Day 1 if he can get used to the bigger bodies of the NFL. His size could potentially be an issue but he's got everything else.
5.147 - Audric Estime (RB): A bruiser workhorse RB in the mold of Ingram. Perfect for Payton's offense and the ideal guy to kick Javonte in the butt. He's a likely starter this year if Javonte keeps declining.
7.235 - Devaughn Vele (WR): The good is that he has a huge catch radius and is an excellent route runner. The bad is that he doesn't always make use of his catch-radius (aka drop issues) and he's old AF. Special teamer if he makes the team, or depth, but probably not starting. What more can you ask for from a 7th though?
7.256 Nick Gargiulo (OL): Probably destined to be a backup Center but can also play Tackle. He's consistent and has few weaknesses but also lacks any exciting strengths. Seems to be average to above-average at his position but that's great for the Broncos in the long run if they can develop him. Not sure he ends up on the roster as any thing beyond depth unless dudes get hurt...but dudes do get hurt. :ninja:

Appendix
Da Trade with Da Jets -> 2026 6th for John Franklin-Myers (DL): a fookin steal that helps both teams, but the Broncos more. Cap space for the Jets, affordable starter for the Broncos. I'm only adding him here because the trade was made during the draft.

Summary
So with all that said, I'm genuinely happy with all the picks. Vele is the only one I'm kinda meh on but I think there is real concern the Broncos won't be able to offer what Sutton wants so will have to trade him. I think I personally would have gone TE here. Not happy with Bo's draft spot but I understand the necessity.

Overall Rating: B+

Largely agreed on this - I definitely like the picks after Nix.

I think the way the Broncos are thinking on Nix is this: they believe he has elite mental traits, and they believe the Raiders would have taken him at 13.

Nix has good enough physical traits - decent arm, decent mobility, decent size - that none of them should tank his career by itself. So if their mental assessment is close to accurate, he's enough to spend the 12th pick on. Obviously I would have rather pocketed a 2nd rounder to move down to 22 and still get him - but again if they're right, that option wasn't on the table. I don't really have a way of knowing whether they were right about those two things; Nix's college tape at Oregon matches up with the idea of a cerebral passer, and after the Russ experience I'm a big fan of Nix's low fumble rate and low sack rate, but he definitely didn't look draftable at Auburn. And if you can predict how the Raiders use their first round draft pick, please apply for a job in the Broncos front office and/or lend me your time machine.

The recent history of QBs taken in the 12th pick or later in the first round is not amazing. There's DeShaun Watson, who worked out for the Texans only because the Browns' mistake, and Jordan Love who got to sit on the bench for 3 years (which massively decreases their rookie QB cap advantage). Mixed in with those are a lot of EJ Manuels and Kenny Picketts and Dwayne Haskinses. Spending the 12th pick on a QB *means* getting a guy who isn't likely to work out. But the scenario where Nix does work out is one in which he figures out Payton's offense and learns how to execute it within a year; after that they have 3 years of Nix having a cap hit that's 10% of Mahomes's, and the Russ salary disappearing. There are worse cap situations.

I'd love to have faith in Payton's assessment, but I think he's overconfident. He hasn't done this before. Neither has George Paton. He'll develop Nix as best he can but if Nix isn't actually a football genius the way Payton describes, then he'll be a middle of the road checkdown merchant with deceptively good stats and the Broncos will be stuck around .500, having to decide whether to overpay him. So I don't hate the Nix pick but I don't love it. At least I'll have something to do next season besides hope for Shadeur Sanders.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The Dolphins got fast dudes. One of them is a defensive end named Chop.

A+

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Jags hopefully got a good WR in the first. The rest of their draft sucks poo poo. Baalke rear end picks across the board

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Im not thrilled now that it's obvious the Giants are entering 2024 with Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, and Tommy DeVito as our QB slate but I didn't hate the picks we did make. This is now Jones' like 4th in a row make or break year, I feel like I am going to watch Daniel Jones QB the team in perpetuity forever as some sort of divine punishment

WR Nabers- . Hard to be mad about a blue chip guy who will elevate the offense no matter what

S Tyler Nubin - . We drafted Landon Collins in the 2nd round, replaced him with Xavier McKinney, and now replaced Xavier McKinney with Tyler Nubin. Our 2nd round saftey pipeline is secure.

CB Andru Phillips - We needed secondary help and Schoen addressed it with back to back picks. Fine with that

TE Theo Johnson - Pretty obvious we don't expect Waller to be back, but Bellinger is going to be the starter so this guy is probably just depth

RB Tyrone Tracy Jr- Late round RBs are usually good value. If he does well good, if he's depth whatever

LB Darius Muasau - Depth, usually foolish to expect much from low rounders outside that so I hope he's fine

B I guess, addressed needs at the top pretty well, none of it will matter because Jones is poopy

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Saints had a boring draft, and that’s actually good. We didn’t trade any future picks, got a tackle (well two with our seventh round pick too) we desperately needed, and drafted both Kool-Aid and Bub, two premium names.

Spencer Rattler in the fifth, I’d much rather take a chance on him as our third QB instead of Nathan Peterman or Kellen Mond. At least we didn’t draft him eighth. :shrug:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

solarjetman posted:

Largely agreed on this - I definitely like the picks after Nix.

I think the way the Broncos are thinking on Nix is this: they believe he has elite mental traits, and they believe the Raiders would have taken him at 13.

Nix has good enough physical traits - decent arm, decent mobility, decent size - that none of them should tank his career by itself. So if their mental assessment is close to accurate, he's enough to spend the 12th pick on. Obviously I would have rather pocketed a 2nd rounder to move down to 22 and still get him - but again if they're right, that option wasn't on the table. I don't really have a way of knowing whether they were right about those two things; Nix's college tape at Oregon matches up with the idea of a cerebral passer, and after the Russ experience I'm a big fan of Nix's low fumble rate and low sack rate, but he definitely didn't look draftable at Auburn. And if you can predict how the Raiders use their first round draft pick, please apply for a job in the Broncos front office and/or lend me your time machine.

The recent history of QBs taken in the 12th pick or later in the first round is not amazing. There's DeShaun Watson, who worked out for the Texans only because the Browns' mistake, and Jordan Love who got to sit on the bench for 3 years (which massively decreases their rookie QB cap advantage). Mixed in with those are a lot of EJ Manuels and Kenny Picketts and Dwayne Haskinses. Spending the 12th pick on a QB *means* getting a guy who isn't likely to work out. But the scenario where Nix does work out is one in which he figures out Payton's offense and learns how to execute it within a year; after that they have 3 years of Nix having a cap hit that's 10% of Mahomes's, and the Russ salary disappearing. There are worse cap situations.

I'd love to have faith in Payton's assessment, but I think he's overconfident. He hasn't done this before. Neither has George Paton. He'll develop Nix as best he can but if Nix isn't actually a football genius the way Payton describes, then he'll be a middle of the road checkdown merchant with deceptively good stats and the Broncos will be stuck around .500, having to decide whether to overpay him. So I don't hate the Nix pick but I don't love it. At least I'll have something to do next season besides hope for Shadeur Sanders.

I agree with your assessment.

Looking positively: If Shanahan can make an elite top offense with Purdy, then there’s hope for middling qb prospects everywhere.

Looking negatively: Sean P is a good coach but he doesn’t not have the surrounding talent that niners have for Purdy.

It seems like Sean doesn’t give a heck about future considerations. He wants to win today so he’ll swing on a less than ideal qb prospect because, well, it’s better than the alternative.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Saints had a boring draft, and that’s actually good. We didn’t trade any future picks, got a tackle (well two with our seventh round pick too) we desperately needed, and drafted both Kool-Aid and Bub, two premium names.

Spencer Rattler in the fifth, I’d much rather take a chance on him as our third QB instead of Nathan Peterman or Kellen Mond. At least we didn’t draft him eighth. :shrug:

Rattler is a guy who could develop. Not a bad idea taking a chance on him in the 5th. This should be the end of Peterman as well so a massive win there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Febreeze posted:

Im not thrilled now that it's obvious the Giants are entering 2024 with Daniel Jones, Drew Lock, and Tommy DeVito as our QB slate but I didn't hate the picks we did make. This is now Jones' like 4th in a row make or break year, I feel like I am going to watch Daniel Jones QB the team in perpetuity forever as some sort of divine punishment

WR Nabers- . Hard to be mad about a blue chip guy who will elevate the offense no matter what

S Tyler Nubin - . We drafted Landon Collins in the 2nd round, replaced him with Xavier McKinney, and now replaced Xavier McKinney with Tyler Nubin. Our 2nd round saftey pipeline is secure.

CB Andru Phillips - We needed secondary help and Schoen addressed it with back to back picks. Fine with that

TE Theo Johnson - Pretty obvious we don't expect Waller to be back, but Bellinger is going to be the starter so this guy is probably just depth

RB Tyrone Tracy Jr- Late round RBs are usually good value. If he does well good, if he's depth whatever

LB Darius Muasau - Depth, usually foolish to expect much from low rounders outside that so I hope he's fine

B I guess, addressed needs at the top pretty well, none of it will matter because Jones is poopy

Yeah I didn't like the Giants' draft that much. Nabers is going to be wasted since Jones refuses to put the ball farther than 5 yards downfield. It's like buying a sports car to drive in New York City. I didn't like Nubin at all, thought he was an overrated ball hawk. He can tackle fine but he shies away from the run game and is all about recovering from the easy passes he gives up. Andru Phillips is raw as hell. Plays like a box safety and can't read zone coverage at all. He's probably a slot corner. Theo Johnson is Jason Witten 15 years too late. Tyrone Tracy Jr. is athletic but I don't think he's a true RB, seems more like a special teamer. He runs terribly for a RB, way too high up and is hesitent hitting the hole. Darius Muasau is a tackle machine but fell because he's undersized.

I'm mad the Chargers stole Joe Alt. I don't think the draft is that strong so I'm okay with a safety in the 2nd but I think they desperately needed more DT and End help if they're still trying out the base 3-4 experiment. Really weird they didn't try to go for more OL either. I know they spent on Runyan, Stinnie, and Eluemunor but they all felt like emergency bandages. They should have went after one of the TEs last year instead of trying to solve things with Waller. I think Theo Johnson would have been like TE11 last year. I think the Giants have been in win now mode for too long with mediocre talent and need to rip the bandage off. It's insane how much Daniel Jones has ruined this team and how unwilling the Maras are to move on. All the problems of the draft this year could have been solved last year but they went all in on Jones' mediocre play action season. I know it's too early but I hate every QB next year right now and it would have been very nice to have had Caleb/Maye/Daniels this year. Never tank and DeVito's story was fun but those wins might have screwed this team for another few years.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Silly Burrito posted:

Buddy, Rattler is probably your starting QB by the end of the year. And I'm not particularly high on Rattler.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Buddy, Rattler is probably your starting QB by the end of the year. And I'm not particularly high on Rattler.

Either that means that Carr is hurt, he sucks, or DA is just desperate.

So you're probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Carr's ceiling is really clear at this point. Rattler has legitimate starting QB upside. That's pretty drat good for a 5th round pick. Wouldn't be at all surprising if he ended up a top 3 QB from this draft.