Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.
Directed by: Rob Reiner
Starring: James Caan, Kathy Bates

Director: Rob Reiner
Starring: James Caan, Kathy Bates
Plot: Successful author James Caan is returning from his holiday cabin during a snowstorm when he crashes his car, suffering massive injuries. Fortunately for him, he is attended by his #1 Fan, Annie Wilks.
Views: James Caan doesn't get enough credit for his portrayal of Paul Sheldon. His face conveys the terror and pain inflicted upon him by Kathy Bates to admirable effect. Kathy Bates' performance was great. She was masterful in her execution as the ultimate villain; a monster that seriously COULD be living right next door. The hobbling scene still gives me chills in a pain.jpg kind of way - something that's exacerbated by the fact I saw the film at 7 years of age :dance:

Chilling, tense and dramatic, this is one of the better King adaptions to date.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

The hobbling scene is nothing if you read the book.

Still, this is probably the most effective Stephen King horror adaptation.

4/5

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Very tense and eerie movie. Bates deseredly won the Oscar, as her character often makes me rethink life. The idea that this could actually happen in real life (though not likely) just adds to the sickness that will build up in your stomach. Voted 5.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Hobbling. 5 vote based solely on that scene, plus this movie is just plain creepy.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Very well-done adaptation of the terrific novel. Rob Reiner was in his prime back then and showed us just how good a director he can be with the right material (considering this was his first thriller and certainly the darkest material he'd ever tackled). Caan and Bates are predictably effective, and much has been made of Bates' Oscar-caliber turn as Nurse Wilkes, but the real star here is the cinematography, which milks every drop of suspense out of a set that could feasibly be adapted from the stage. It's not easy to sustain drama and thrills when 80% of the action takes place in the same bedroom; Reiner successfully conveys the claustrophobia and helplessness of Sheldon's grim situation.

You might laugh, but Richard Farnsworth actually has a pivotal role in the structure of this movie. It would have been pretty easy for him to sidetrack Misery with a performance that was too cornpone, or worse, to sabotage it with too much humor; instead, he finds the right notes as the town sheriff and involves the audience without trying too hard.

I can't give this film 5/5 because at the end of the day, it is an above-average thriller and that's it. We don't emerge from the theater wiser or better or even more thoughtful. But don't hold that against it. as suspense films go, it's a startlingly good ride.