Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Directed by: Su Friedrich
Starring: Su Friedrich

A short made in 1990, "Sink or Swim" was one of the few movies from my experimental film class that I can say I enjoyed on both an intellectual and emotional level. Director Su Friedrich edited together home movies, TV clips and newly shot footage to tell, in an abstract and haunting way, the story behind her simultaneous disdain and love for her father.

In 48 minutes, in 26 alphabetized short segments, Friedrich weaves Greek mythological references, an almost nonstop fragmented narration from an eight-year-old girl, a long static shot of a typewriter banging out a letter to her father she never sent, etc., to make something effective, moving and accessible. Throughout, I never got the feeling Friedrich was trying to reach too far to make an intentionally bewildering "artistic statement," which is more than I can say for a lot of experimental filmmakers.

The film's hard to find, but I imagine most college libraries have it in their film collection, and if not, I'm pretty sure there are online distributors who carry it — either way, this is a must-see film for anyone who feels feelings.

5/5

PROS: The labyrinthine narrative structure allows Friedrich to present a portrait of her father rich in depth
CONS: None; this is really one of the best films I've ever seen

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 3, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU