Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
They turned a H.P. Lovecraft-ish apocalyptic interdimensional horror premise into an ensemble comedy led by Bill Murray that features Sigourney Weaver barking like a dog.

Truly, the greatest thing ever. 5.5/5.

Dr. Peter Venkman: If we're wrong, we go to jail - peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it. But if I'm right, and we can stop this thing, Lenny, you will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.
I'll add myself to the list of "little kids scared-the-poo poo-out-of by the library scene." Amazing movie. Incredibly well-done. The second one wasn't horrible, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the first.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

my favorite movie of all time. It is a movie that had it been made ten years later would have been cgi whored to death but most of the graphics stand the test of time. Awesome movie.

spellLIVEbackward
Dec 12, 2004

Take those hands and kill that man, standing in the mirror
"Aim for the flat-top!"

'nuff said

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
"I couldn't help it! It... just... popped in there!"

That line cracks me up every time, simply because of the way Dan Aykroyd delivers it and the look on his face as he says it.

A great film, and one that ranks alongside the Back to the Future trilogy as one of the few films I can watch time and time again without getting bored.

5/5

Kimball_Ninja
Dec 24, 2004
Christ that movie scared me as a kid. Get me the gently caress away from some terror dog dragging a woman into the closet...yeesh.

Ghostbusters is such a classic because while its a comedy, its comedy is on a sly, witty level, as opposed to just slapstick. Every character fills their roles perfectly, and it truly was a defining movie for a generation. Have to vote 5 out of 5.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Vinz Clortho posted:

"Gozer the Traveller will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveller came as a very large and moving Torb! Then in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him, that of a Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you!"

I went into the theater not knowing ANYTHING about this movie, and to this day, it has to be in the top 3 for movies with me. The writing and acting is nothing but pure brilliance.

5.5/5

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
loving awesome, if you don't like Ghostbusters then you also have no soul.

It's one of those movies that made a young Aussie like me think the U.S. was drat cool.

Not so many of them anymore.. (or I am just getting old and jaded :()

TommyTerror
Feb 4, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I don't know if I'd say it's the greatest comedy, but I'd definitely say it's one of the greatests.

I remember this movie terrifying me as a kid, and now as an adult I laugh my rear end off. And Sigourney weaver is just hot for some reason.

Egon: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Venkman: What?
Egon: Don't cross the streams.
Venkman: Why?
Egon: It would be bad.
Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole 'good/bad' thing. What do you mean bad?
Egon: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Ray: Total protonic reversal...
Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay, all right, important safety tip. Thanks, Egon

5.5 / 5

For easily being on of the greatest comedies and most quotable movies of all time.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'd put it in the Top 10 of best comedies of all time. Agreed?

Excellent film, I can still watch it, after seeing it over 100 times.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

"Dogs and cats living together...MASS HYSTERIA!"

Voted 5.5. The Ghostbusters, along with The Blues Brothers and Back to the Future remain as my holy trinity of movies.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Winston Zeddmore posted:

I've only been with the company for a couple of weeks, but these things are real. Since I joined these men, I've seen poo poo that'll turn you white.

...and this film has tickled me pink for 22 years.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Dr Ray Stantz: You know, it just occurred to me that we really haven't had a successful test of this equipment.
Dr. Egon Spengler: I blame myself.
Dr. Peter Venkman: So do I.
Dr Ray Stantz: Well, no sense in worrying about it now.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back.

Pure brilliance.

OFGRAD HOBART
Sep 10, 2004
Proprietor of the Tufflenook, Plimpton, Plimpshire
This movie is possibly one of the best Comedies of all time. Verging on Horrific. (at least that freaky zombieish Taxi Driver)

Great lines :

Venkman - "I'm Dr. Venkman, this is Dr. Stantz, Egon".
(His referral to Egon AS Egon is pure genius!)

Venkman - "Will you stop that, You're giving me the Bug-eyes....Janine, sorry about the bug-eyes thing. I'll be in my office"

Venkman - "...You know Egon, this reminds me of that time you tried to drill a hole in your head.. you remember that?"
Spengler - "that would have worked if you hadn't stopped me"

Best line :

Stanz - "We're gonna need a lot of Bread to capitalize it, where are we gonna get that sort of money"
Venkman - "I don't know Ray, I don't know"
<Cuts to them hastily walking out of a building>
Venkman - <Rolls his eyes as he says it> "You're never gonna regret this Ray!"

I love this movie more than my own Mother!

ROCK ON!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

One of the most brilliant comedies ever. The plot itself is secondary to the character depth and the witty dialogue between all of them. It works on so many levels. I saw it when I was a kid, and I thought it was hilarious and fun. I see it as an adult, and I still think it's hilarious and fun, and in a completely different way than when I was a kid. If you haven't seen it in 10 or 15 years, you owe it to yourself to check it out again. You will laugh at things you entirely forgot about, and things that went way over your head the first time.

Captain Hero
Nov 25, 2005

by Eris Is Goddess

TheMaestro posted:

CONS: No boobs.

Actually...there is one boob. Sigourney's. When she sits down and the arms come out of the chair and the seats goes into the kitchen. There is quick flash of one boob as her shirt is pulled down. Not that I watched in slo-mo when I was twelve or anything.

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.
The movie is so brilliant due to alot of the subtle things. I tend to notice something new and hillarious about it each time I watch it. When they are all walking in the lobby in the hotel the manager runs up behind them and says "Thank god your here" and Venkman just jumps and goes "Jesus!". I never caught it before but just the way he does it made me laugh like a madman.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
I just re-watched this for the first time in years. What a great film! It's a fun story, with great characters. Bill Murray's Venkman is comedy gold. And on re-watching it, I realized how great the cinematography is. It's just a beautiful film. The effects do look a bit dated, but the movie is over 25 years old. A true classic.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"Is this true?"

"Yes, it is true. This man has no dick."

5/5