Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

No brand names, unfortunately. Just my shoddy handwriting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
As far as I am aware they are going to start with multiple thin pieces, glue them, and then into a press for the shape. That's how ES-335 tops are done, too. Probably cheaper now to have the CNC do the carving on a solid block of wood.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

widefault posted:

Yeah, appear to be a Hoshino/Yoshino brand, so more or less an Ibanez. Pickups are possibly Maxon or MMK, either of which are pretty nice. Realistically, any 70s or newer Japanese guitar that's a copy of a Fender or Gibson is usually made pretty well.

Also, 80% of the time, if a seller says a non-labeled guitar is Japanese, it's a Korean Samick, 10% are Korean Corts, 9% are Taiwanese and Indonesian, and that last 1% are actual Japanese guitars. If it's not stamped on the neckplate or printed on the headstock or has an appropriately aged sticker that says "Made in Japan" it's probably Korean.

Only the ones from ~1978-1983. And don't assume all of them without adjustable pole pieces are the old Dimarzios, they need to also have the concave/dented poles. Samick replaced the DiMarzios with their "home grown" X-14s, which are pretty close spec-wise, and sound decent enough, but just aren't the same.

Aah ok. There was some claim that they were used through 87 but I have no proof.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Aah ok. There was some claim that they were used through 87 but I have no proof.

LIke all guitar makers, there is piss poor documentation besides what was in the catalogs, and even that doesn't always match up. DiMarzio did make the pickups up until 1983ish, so Samick may have had a bunch left that lasted a few more years.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I decided to embrace precisely how much of a Metallica fanboy I am with absolutely no shame.

Y'all can be madly in anger with me if you like, but I'm stupid happy.

I put EMGs into my Explorer because of course I loving did. The classic 81\60 set, not the new Het set because I wanted the "classic" sound.

Then I plugged into my Mesa Mark V and got these noises:

https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus...=social_sharing

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to spend the rest of my day playing every loving Metallica riff, as loud as possible, with zero shame, to the mild hatred of my neighbours.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Hell yeah brother

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Point of order the 81/85 is the classic set!

(Sick guitar bro!!)

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

(Sick guitar bro!!)

I think 81/85 is Hammett and 81/60 is Hetfield.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

(Sick guitar bro!!)

Hetfield rocked the 81\60.

Therefore, I rock the 81\60.

(Yes, I know about the Het set, but he recorded the good albums with the 81\60)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

H13 posted:

Hetfield rocked the 81\60.

Therefore, I rock the 81\60.

(Yes, I know about the Het set, but he recorded the good albums with the 81\60)

They're all good, op.

(okay maybe not st anger but that still also had the 81s)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

plester1 posted:

I think 81/85 is Hammett and 81/60 is Hetfield.

I'm not sure I could handle that kind of string gauge.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Captain Splendid posted:

I'm not sure I could handle that kind of string gauge.

That's why they called it "heavy metal", right?

e: content

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got another PurPLL.

My first one is wired up on a board that I'm having trouble getting to right now because I've been down in my back for more than a month now. Lame, I am recovering but slowly, anyway it's been a minute since I got to mess with my PurPLL and I was always a bit nervous to adjust the 27 (!!) internal dip switches to customize its behavior. Well, Montreal Assembly ran a sale and I ended up picking up a nicely priced blue PurPLL - and, I know, purple is kinda even in the name, I do feel my other purple one is perhaps more nominally authentic - but this time I cracked it open and went to town messing around with the dips. Really glad I did, this thing is awesome and is a real inspiration machine IMO. Here's what I did with it tonight, just jamming, guitar -> PurPLL -> amp -> compression -> reverb

https://voca.ro/1nVJsSql9Ycp

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Cheap and cheerful. I wanted a reasonable approximation of that Neil Young & Crazy Horse “little tweed amp cranked until it’s about to explode” sound, and this scratches the itch just fine. I’m running it as a preamp into the FX return of a Fender Rumble bass amp because I’m too lazy to drag out my guitar amp, and it sounds just grand. Love this sound so much.

https://youtu.be/2bi64Y55LEU?si=h6TAuWgcsUPuDjdI

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 15, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Agreed posted:

I got another PurPLL.

My first one is wired up on a board that I'm having trouble getting to right now because I've been down in my back for more than a month now. Lame, I am recovering but slowly, anyway it's been a minute since I got to mess with my PurPLL and I was always a bit nervous to adjust the 27 (!!) internal dip switches to customize its behavior. Well, Montreal Assembly ran a sale and I ended up picking up a nicely priced blue PurPLL - and, I know, purple is kinda even in the name, I do feel my other purple one is perhaps more nominally authentic - but this time I cracked it open and went to town messing around with the dips. Really glad I did, this thing is awesome and is a real inspiration machine IMO. Here's what I did with it tonight, just jamming, guitar -> PurPLL -> amp -> compression -> reverb

https://voca.ro/1nVJsSql9Ycp

Whoa! Yo, is that a phase locked loop in a pedal? I use one in my rack for thickening a voice, or to make it scream.
Eta: just gave the first section of the manual a quick read. Looks like a sweet item. I don't really like the block diagram they use, as it obscures a lot of what's going on, and doesn't touch on the actual PLL circuit. A lot of the parameters have been translated to guitarmans too, so that takes a bit of interpretation also.

That's really neat how it can do simultaneous mult/divide/locked pitch tracked synth and mix them all together, and arpeggios with the lfo. 3 or 4 modules crammed in a pedal.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 15, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Pedal people get twitchy if you ask them specific details about their circuits.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Everything is either a rat or a tube screamer, don't at me

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Big Muff: RAT or Tube Screamer?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Elissimpark posted:

Big Muff: RAT or Tube Screamer?

close: that's a shape <3

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Armacham posted:

Everything is either a rat or a tube screamer, don't at me

All guitars are Strats - except for Strats, which are Lé Pauls.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I certainly appreciate that they put the specs for control voltage in the manual. Memory boy deluxe isn't too clear how much juice I can give it for modulation.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

All guitars are Strats - except for Strats, which are Lé Pauls.

More Paul or Less paul

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Btw here's a blues driver clone I got from Winnipeg Electrical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcn1VU_NW2c

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Not me, I worked in the pedal industry for years for Brian Wampler (who has always been pretty up front about what he's doing in his pedals, and published books helping to educate others on how to mod them etc. back in the day as IndyGuitarist before he even took off as Wampler Pedals) and I was posting regularly at FSB back in the day before all that. I am big on knowing what a circuit is rather than trusting that the developer spent 3 years on it and just somehow ended up with a near part for part clone of a Timmy (ayyy Vemuram).

That said, I wish I could answer better here. PurPLL is a complicated beast, definitely has a digital brain but I believe it is then controlling analog parts to accomplish the things it can do as far as the PLL goes. But there's so much to it, I don't want to speak outside of my limited knowledge - for example there's a glitch buffer that's variably compressing audio into 3.5 kilobytes of RAM, which leads to about 1 second of compressed audio for high frequency content or up to 5 or so of mostly lower frequency content, and that matters because while I had the glitch buffer in "nice" mode for the clip I made, it has a "nasty" mode that plays the entire buffer contents regardless and it can get super weird in what it keeps and what it replaces in that buffer as it does its thing (and the buffer duration is configurable, as well, everything about it is configurable... 27 dips!). I'd like to know more about it in detail but it works great, sounds fantastic (in my opinion though).

I've never had a real Schumann or even a direct clone, but I do like PLL pedals for the awesome sounds they can get. The other one I think is great is the Beetronix Swarm, like it a LOT more than the EQD Data Corrupter (fan of EQD stuff much of the time but that one was not well tuned for the application IMO). But it can't do what the PurPLL can. It blows my mind that Montreal Assembly sells these for $160 before shipping when they're on sale, and blems at that time go for like $140. It's a whole lot of pedal for the money, for sure, and I love the sounds you can get with it. Scott Monk is a clever engineer.

I have two of them and keep thinking, I could have a LOT of fun with these and one of my stereo synths. But right now I can't muck it all together, so I'm playing it "as intended" with my guitar, and playing around with a couple OBNE Expression Rampers to see what I can get the top jacks to do that the pedal can't do on its own. I definitely recommend the PurPLL, for whatever application :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 16, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
Neat! Wampler’s videos got me started designing circuits. I also don’t give a gently caress who knows what my circuits are. The pedalpcb guy will rip it off asap anyways.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I just couldn’t bond with the Greco 4003 ergonomics when playing it. Made a trade for a Japanese 51’ P-Bass. It’s only around 8 pounds and love the thing.

One piece body?

Much nicer stable mate to the other Fenders.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I like that bass.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Tele P bass best P bass.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
To go with the Bently LP copy, I have bought a Bently mandolin!

This would also be a Samick from the late 70s or early 80s. The shadow is where the bridge was and the current position is where it intontates best. And it also needs a new nut, BUT it has a zero fret so I don't have to do that great a job on the replacement, which is a bonus.

And I picked up a cheap Korean-made Harmony, which is somehow over 9 pounds. I have another, identical one that is under 8. Not a lot of consistency on those.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'd love to know what the Korean workers in the Samick factory back in the day thought of what they were making.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004
Probation
I don’t know what working conditions are like there now but back then they were very poor for Cortek employees. I can’t imagine being enthused about the work.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Sold my Taylor 214ce Deluxe yesterday. I just wasn't really a fan of the tone and it was weirdly difficult to get clean strums with barre chords (where my Martin DM doesn't have that problem).

Took the money and immediately bought a Gibson WM 45. Same as the j45 with stripped down cosmetics, even built in the same factory. They only made them a few years because they were cannibalizing their own sales. I kind of like how basic it is. Might get a new pickguard for it, but probably won't.

I also picked up a OBNE Beam Splitter. If you're on the fence about this one, just get it! Purple section is distortion, green and blue are differently voiced overdives. It has 3 outputs so you can do a wall of sound/multitracking live. I brought it to my favorite gear shop (where I bought the Gibson) for the owner to try and he immediately bought one.

It's a bit impractical to run it to 3 different amps, but it still sounds good going into one. I wonder if I can get some kind of device to let me run two of the outputs to a PA instead of an amp.

Bonus pic of my kiddo enjoying the drum set up.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Bonus pic of my kiddo enjoying the drum set up.

Do you have drums in the kitchen? LOL, and heck yeah!
Other kids just sit on the floor and bang on pots and pans. You're setting them up in style!

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

B33rChiller posted:

Do you have drums in the kitchen?

do... you not?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

moon demon posted:

do... you not?
Mine is tiny, unfortunately.
Also, the ex was the drummer, so she took them in the separation.
Why yes, I have in fact, embraced the divorced dad midlife crisis eurorack stereotype!

Pictured below: The percussion section sat on my dinner table (orange box)
Also pictured is a new purchased 4 tap delay / dual crossfader module by sputnik modular

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Fish tanks and eurorack. Lots of good financial decisions going on in that pic!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah, not much of a car guy.
And at least I'm sticking to bomb proof fish and plants.
Just a big mass of guppies and mystery snails.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

B33rChiller posted:

Do you have drums in the kitchen? LOL, and heck yeah!
Other kids just sit on the floor and bang on pots and pans. You're setting them up in style!

Our house was renovated before we bought it and the downstairs was converted into a small in-law unit/airbnb type thing. I just use it as my office and recording studio. Here it is right now as I'm recording drum tracks.

It looks nice until you realize I'm 6'1" and my head is an inch from the ceiling. I can touch the ceiling while I'm sitting in my office chair lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

ah, the old crouching basement suite.