Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there have been VNC ones for a long time, so hosting a browser VNC client seems straightforward for them to add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

LINUX THREAD PAGE 2^10

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

cruft posted:

LINUX THREAD PAGE 2^10

It’s OK, the page boundary is at 4 kB (8 kB on Alpha) so nothing weird should happen.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cruft posted:

LINUX THREAD PAGE 2^10

Well, poo poo :haw:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It’s OK, the page boundary is at 4 kB (8 kB on Alpha) so nothing weird should happen.

Only if you're using the SLAB, SLOB, or SLUB allocators.

Lemme tell you about my new super-high-performance kernel memory allocator, SLURP (for Simply Lots of Unordered Random Places).

You know how everyone has at least 32gb of memory these days, and you only use like 6 if you don't have Chrome open? SLURP takes advantage of this by avoiding all those old-fashioned blocks and stacks that slow other memory allocators down. Here's how it works:
1. a program asks to allocate memory
2. SLURP picks a random number between 0 and MAXMEM, and hands that to the program as a pointer
3. ok that's your memory, go nuts

SLURP is blazingly fast and never gets bogged down with memory fragmentation or reference counting! It cuts the allocation / deallocation overhead by 50%, using the simple trick of never deallocating anything. And best of all, it encourages small and efficient programming, for self-defense! Because if your program uses 50mb of memory, it is 50 times more likely to crash some other bloated program that uses 2.5GB, than to be crashed by it.

Just, uh, don't open Chrome.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

Only if you're using the SLAB, SLOB, or SLUB allocators.

Lemme tell you about my new super-high-performance kernel memory allocator, SLURP (for Simply Lots of Unordered Random Places).

You know how everyone has at least 32gb of memory these days, and you only use like 6 if you don't have Chrome open? SLURP takes advantage of this by avoiding all those old-fashioned blocks and stacks that slow other memory allocators down. Here's how it works:
1. a program asks to allocate memory
2. SLURP picks a random number between 0 and MAXMEM, and hands that to the program as a pointer
3. ok that's your memory, go nuts

SLURP is blazingly fast and never gets bogged down with memory fragmentation or reference counting! It cuts the allocation / deallocation overhead by 50%, using the simple trick of never deallocating anything. And best of all, it encourages small and efficient programming, for self-defense! Because if your program uses 50mb of memory, it is 50 times more likely to crash some other bloated program that uses 2.5GB, than to be crashed by it.

Just, uh, don't open Chrome.

This post is giving me traumatic memories of Desqview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Is it a good idea to setup a separate group/user for accessing Samba shares? I'm setting up a new file server/home lab, and I've just installed and configured Samba so I can access a ZFS pool from my Windows machines. Currently, I'm just allowing access from my sole admin user because I wasn't sure if dealing with file permissions and ownership issues with a separate user would cause me headaches when copying files from different systems. However, I keep hearing "principle of least privilege" in the back of my mind and wondering if this is a security issue, even though this is a home server that only I have access to. Even if it's not a major security risk in my case, I'm using this as an opportunity to better familiarize myself with Linux admin, so I'd like to follow best practices.

mekyabetsu fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 20, 2024