Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AC4L got a bunch of Onkyo and Pioneer refurbs, you can get the 7100 with Dirac for $750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Alright, I hope this is not getting too technical. I have a UKW/DAB radio (plus internet radio and several other functions): Dual CR 900 Phantom

The manual says I can detach the antenna (there is only one telescopic antenna) and attach another. It looks like this (note the small pin that goes into the radio):
https://www.amazon.com/Fancasee-Telescopic-Connector-Receiver-Amplifier/dp/B07TBWMLG9/ref=psdc_667846011_t2_B094MQXTDK

The replacement I bought was this one (note the larger "pin"/tube):
https://www.amazon.com/POBADY-Conne...64&sr=8-11&th=1

Generally I would like something longer that I can hang out the window.

Those two connectors do not look the same and the second antenna can't be attached to the device. There are adaptors for the second one but the plug/pin looks to big instead of being like a needle. My question is: Is there another adaptor or am I doing something fundamentally wrong like mixing TV and radio antennas (why wouldn't that work?)? What kind of antenna with fitting plug should I buy then?

I am new to this. Please tell me if this should be posted somewhere else. Thank you very much for reading.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 30, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The top one says F Type, that is the name of the connector, that's going to be your key word. These connectors get used for satellite dishes as well.

I don't know what the name of the second connector is (pal or european tv are often mentioned on amazon), but any bit of 75 ohm coax with that connector in the opposite gender on it, you can strip the other end of and put on an f type connector easily yourself to make an adapter. Or use an adapter like this to turn your antenna into female f type as well so you can connect it to the radio with a cable with two male f type ends.

Will using the fm dipole antenna help you receive dab much better, I don't actually know. It would be the right thing if you were looking to improve fm reception.

I actually made this diy one from a random end of coax cable and an f type connector left over from my satellite installation and it works great for dab+. Supposed to perform as well as commercially made ones.

Here's a short video on how what f type connectors are like to work with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L8aDDBOyLM&t=149s

E: Curious where you are that you have dab but link to amazon usa. I didn't think the us had dab.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 30, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From Google, UKW is the German word for FM so that part will work if poster is in the US. No DAB here, you’re correct.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Thank you both! That was an elaborate answer, Flipperwaldt. Giving me a name (F Type) lead me to this page which has what I wanted:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/conecto-Adapter-Between-Connector-Satellite-F-Male-IEC-Coax/dp/B07PDZ72M9

Your little project looks cool, I will keep it in mind. Your link should come in handy too, thanks!

Yes, I am from Germany. I don't really know why I chose amazon.com, perhaps to make sure there are no misunderstandings (language) or technical issues when describing a problem. Well spotted. Thanks again.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

EL BROMANCE posted:

From Google, UKW is the German word for FM so that part will work if poster is in the US. No DAB here, you’re correct.
“UKW - Überhaupt keine statische” just doesn’t roll off the tongue very well.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Apparently I have a "ground loop" when I plug my subwoofer into my receiver there is a low hum. I just had my entire fuse box replaced and they ran two new grounding cables in different directions.

If I power off the sub, no hum. With power on, if I disconnect the RCA cable from the subwoofer, no hum. I've tried two different RCA cables. And I've tried plugging the subwoofer into a different outlet.

I wish I knew more about electricity, another audio forum wants me to buy $150
https://www.parts-express.com/Jensen-Iso-Max-SUB-1RR-Mono-Subwoofer-Line-Input-Isolator-Hu-246-0118?quantity=1

Any ideas?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You can get a ground loop isolator on Amazon for $20-30.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Howdy, temperature check time:

Would the regulars here like a new thread? This one was posted in 2007 and has 272 of informative, awesome, difficult-to-sift-through content! Though this thread does serve its purpose, a new thread might be less-intimidating to new users. If you're interested, I can get a new one up and stickied in short order— this doesn't really need a mini-encyclopedia to get off the ground.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Mercury posted:

Howdy, temperature check time:

Would the regulars here like a new thread? This one was posted in 2007 and has 272 of informative, awesome, difficult-to-sift-through content! Though this thread does serve its purpose, a new thread might be less-intimidating to new users. If you're interested, I can get a new one up and stickied in short order— this doesn't really need a mini-encyclopedia to get off the ground.

Would the new thread do anything different to make it less difficult to sift through, or would it just have less content? Its mostly just people asking what soundbar to buy and the thread regulars suggesting anything but a soundbar.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I spent a bit of time formulating a new audio thread OP but even my outline kinda turned into a mighty tome and wouldn't really help anybody into not asking a question anyway. One thing that would be helpful is to ask that folks always include a budget when they're asking for buying advice.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

BigFactory posted:

Would the new thread do anything different to make it less difficult to sift through, or would it just have less content? Its mostly just people asking what soundbar to buy and the thread regulars suggesting anything but a soundbar.

Good question: If you have ideas to make it easier to streamline questions or make them easy to find in your search engine do jour, I'm all ears. If the soundbar thing really is that much of a pain, it can be added to the OP as one of things people don't particularly like to answer.

One strategy employed by forums over the years is to publish topic-driven posts and link directly to them in a FAQ-style post below the OP so there's a link index of important parts of the thread. One possible avenue to kickstart this is to skim the old thread and post the more frequent Q&As in the second post.

qirex posted:

I spent a bit of time formulating a new audio thread OP but even my outline kinda turned into a mighty tome and wouldn't really help anybody into not asking a question anyway. One thing that would be helpful is to ask that folks always include a budget when they're asking for buying advice.

Yeah, audio is like that a bit— Perhaps the OP should be fairly single-minded about equipping people to spit out a much more focused question instead of a crash course in the subject material? In my experience elsewhere, quick-question-havers are likely not asking things because they're unable to find information, but they're not getting a short/straight answer. In that light, reducing the load on question-answerers understanding the ask is probably the best thing an OP to do.

\/\/ with any luck new blood helps us avoid that, but it's entirely possible!

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 18, 2023

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Not against a new thread and an updated op, though I think it will just become this one again soon enough.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
The perennial problem with megathreads is that the poster goes inactive and updating the OP becomes impractical.

My proposal is to create a dedicated user account for the purpose of posting the OP in a sub-forum or even a single megathread. Then access to the account can be given to who ever is actively participating or maintaining the thread.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Saukkis posted:

The perennial problem with megathreads is that the poster goes inactive and updating the OP becomes impractical.

My proposal is to create a dedicated user account for the purpose of posting the OP in a sub-forum or even a single megathread. Then access to the account can be given to who ever is actively participating or maintaining the thread.

Mods can just update the post if someone gave them quality stuff to replace it with. I am sure the OP wouldn't be offended if they are truly just AFK

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Denon is rolling out their 2023 receivers, so the AVR-S660H and the VR-X1700H are going for cheap. The 660H is going for $370 (or ~$290 open box) while the X1700H is ~$530 or ~$450 for open box, which was too good for me to pass up to replace my Onkyo TX-NR656

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I think if you just don't put any specific product recommendations in the OP it won't really get outdated. Just tell people to say what they want, what their budget is and what their space/room is like. Plus links to the headphone, PC audio and vintage/stereo threads. Also "soundbars are bad, don't believe their lies"

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Like so?

This is the second incarnation of the Quick Audio Questions thread.

Got a quick question about audio? Post it here!

The goal of this thread is to answer any and all audio questions that don't belong in the following dedicated threads:
Headphones
Home audio
Equipment setup sharing
Turntables and vinyl
PC speakers

How to ask a quick question:
You could try shooting from the hip and trying your luck, but a concise post with specifics will help others greatly. Please take a moment to condense your question into something that is easily understood, and can be answered with specifics.

1) What is your exact problem?
2) What specific information can you provide about the problem?
3) What is your desired result? This one may not always apply, so don't worry if you can't answer this one.

If you're looking for a product to buy:
1) Define parameters like budget, form factor, absolutely necessary features (if applicable), and how/where you're gonna use this thing.
2) If you're looking for speakers, posters may ask you about the room they're going in. This might include things like how big it is, does it have carpet, etc. Be prepared to answer follow-up questions.

Examples of questions that work well:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm running a projector for a movie night at my son's school. In order to interface with the PA system, I need to pipe audio from the projector in the middle of the room to the mixer that is about 60-75' away.

Can I safely use a super long 1/8" stereo extension cable for this run? Or will it sound terrible after so many feet?

Lamquin posted:

Quick question regarding the quality of different audio streaming formats!

I'm a huge fan of online radio to discover new music, and have found a few different formats. For example, the site https://www.di.fm gives me a choice between the following:

256k MP3
128k AAC-Plus
128k WMV

My brain assumes that Bigger=Better, but I couldn't exactly tell a difference. Is any of these formats the "best", or are they all equal?

MikeJF posted:

Hey, if this is the right thread, are there any nice cheap little dongles like the Chromecast Audio but with the Spotify Connect protocol in it on account of the Chromecast Audio in Spotify sucking arse and breaking all the time?

Thread frustrations:
1) Many people ask "which soundbar should I get?" The answer is probably "none," as outlined by KillHour in the previous thread. Expect that question to go over like a loud fart.

Caveat: it's possible, however unlikely, that some company will do something to address the main performance complaints of soundbars in the future. Should that be the case, any mod with buttons should feel OK to replace this part of the OP unilaterally without asking me to reflect this.

2) Sometimes you won't get what you explicitly asked for, or you're told that you have to do something else that isn't what you imagined. It's possible that you didn't lay out important parameters to your question, or that it was misread— but it's more likely that what you're asking simply isn't in the cards. In any case, assume that the people attempting to help you didn't try to frustrate you, and extend them the same grace that you would want someone to extend to you if your roles were reversed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mr. Mercury posted:

Like so?

This is the second incarnation of the Quick Audio Questions thread.

Got a quick question about audio? Post it here!

The goal of this thread is to answer any and all audio questions that don't belong in the following dedicated threads:
Headphones
Home audio
Equipment setup sharing
Turntables and vinyl
PC speakers

How to ask a quick question:
You could try shooting from the hip and trying your luck, but a concise post with specifics will help others greatly. Please take a moment to condense your question into something that is easily understood, and can be answered with specifics.

1) What is your exact problem?
2) What specific information can you provide about the problem?
3) What is your desired result? This one may not always apply, so don't worry if you can't answer this one.

If you're looking for a product to buy:
1) Define parameters like budget, form factor, absolutely necessary features (if applicable), and how/where you're gonna use this thing.
2) If you're looking for speakers, posters may ask you about the room they're going in. This might include things like how big it is, does it have carpet, etc. Be prepared to answer follow-up questions.

Examples of questions that work well:

Thread frustrations:
1) Many people ask "which soundbar should I get?" The answer is probably "none," as outlined by KillHour in the previous thread. Expect that question to go over like a loud fart.

Caveat: it's possible, however unlikely, that some company will do something to address the main performance complaints of soundbars in the future. Should that be the case, any mod with buttons should feel OK to replace this part of the OP unilaterally without asking me to reflect this.

2) Sometimes you won't get what you explicitly asked for, or you're told that you have to do something else that isn't what you imagined. It's possible that you didn't lay out important parameters to your question, or that it was misread— but it's more likely that what you're asking simply isn't in the cards. In any case, assume that the people attempting to help you didn't try to frustrate you, and extend them the same grace that you would want someone to extend to you if your roles were reversed.

That’s fine. As long as it links to this thread and states a purpose. It’s better than the old first post

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I guess my one question is do we need the home audio thread separate? Basically the same stuff gets posted in both.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

I guess my one question is do we need the home audio thread separate? Basically the same stuff gets posted in both.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

That's an interesting idea- here are my follow-ups:

1) by merging these threads, are we shedding quick questions, or are we aiming for some middle-ground between the two?
2) if we keep these separate, what's a best-case scenario look like in terms of thread vibe/performance?

I was planning on stickying the quick questions reboot to hopefully funnel people to the correct places first, but if these threads merge that's no longer a smart idea unless the topic changes to "recommend me a home audio setup"

In any case, post thoughts and I will do my best to meet your needs

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

qirex posted:

I don't think this thread moves fast enough to break it up into multiple threads, but probably wouldn't hurt either.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, do either thread get more than 10 posts a week, except for this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Time to update those bookmarks! New thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042607

I'm going to sticky the new thread so hopefully it is more effective at funneling people to the appropriate places. It's okay if it doesn't have a ton of posts.