Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for that link Jonny 290!

Living in a mid level crowded apartment sucks for ham and shortwave radio. I cant pick up poo poo, but that link ought to keep me entertained for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Living in a mid level crowded apartment sucks for ham and shortwave radio. I cant pick up poo poo, but that link ought to keep me entertained for a bit.

Not nearly as bad but my townhouse drives me to webSDRs a lot. Love I can tune a Japan based receiver to North Korea's nuttiness, can't quite get that reception on my Degen 1103 on the east coast.

In semi-positive news a new shortwave station coming and it's in the U.S.; downside is it'll be another religious broadcaster ....

http://swling.com/blog/2017/03/kimf-a-new-shortwave-broadcasting-station-in-nevada/

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I'm thinking about getting another radio. My Eton E5 developed this weird sticky goo on the outer rubber/plastic casing and it's really gross.

Is there a nice new go-to beginner radio?

https://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL880...shortwave+radio

Do any shortwave radios scan and stop when they find something?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

I'm thinking about getting another radio. My Eton E5 developed this weird sticky goo on the outer rubber/plastic casing and it's really gross.

One of the downsides of things using that rubberized plastic these days. My E5 is definitely more sticky than when it was new, though it isn't bad yet. Have you tried using alcohol to remove the film? I've done this with PS2 joysticks and it has worked well.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I have a Grundig G6 that had the same sticky issue, rubbing alcohol cleaned it up good.

Tecsun seems to be the main brand now. I'm planning on eventually picking up a PL-880 myself.

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.
I'm going to attempt to listen to the pirate weekend 9000 feet up on a hill on the side of Mauna Kea tonight. My trusty PL-660 is coming along. Report to follow.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

I have a Grundig G6 that had the same sticky issue, rubbing alcohol cleaned it up good.

Tecsun seems to be the main brand now. I'm planning on eventually picking up a PL-880 myself.

I'm a stupid dumby. Will shortwave radios scan channels and stop if they find something? Kind of like how my car can find KFMW TODAYS HITS! radio? Or do I need to sit there and spin a dial through static until angry preacher man yells at me?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

AnimalChin posted:

I'm a stupid dumby. Will shortwave radios scan channels and stop if they find something? Kind of like how my car can find KFMW TODAYS HITS! radio? Or do I need to sit there and spin a dial through static until angry preacher man yells at me?

Most digital radios will scan except for the really cheap ones.

java
May 7, 2005

C.M. Kruger posted:

I'm glad the Grundig G6 sticky goo issue is a universal constant and not just me.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Yeah, I've had the same issue with my E5 and G6. Rubbing alcohol does the trick.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Hello Shortwave Thread, I just finished another Shortwave related vintage radio project. This time it's a 1945 Detrola 568 Radio. The model 568 was originally designed and built to fill a government contract for a "Morale" Radio for US troops involved in the invasion of mainland Japan (Operation Downfall) in WWII. The war ended before the production contract could be completed, leaving Detrola with thousands of metal cased AM/Shortwave radios painted in olive drab. Detrola decided to make lemonade out of lemons, cut the welded-on carry handles off, paint them hammer-tone silver, and sell them to desperate US consumers who hadn't been able to buy new radios since 1942.
This radio was purchased on ebay two weeks ago. on Monday evening I repainted the cabinet in original hammer-tone silver and recapped the chassis. I found a new Detrola decal to replace the one that had been lost to rust and abuse, it's in the mail and should be here soon.

Before Photo:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Not quite shortwave, but vacationing in the Florida Keys and the Cuban AMs are local signal strength. These are usually stations I hear with low to moderate quality at night in central Maryland. Totally jamming to Cuban easy listening music (AM 530) on the beach with my Grundig G5.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

MullardEL34 posted:

Hello Shortwave Thread, I just finished another Shortwave related vintage radio project. This time it's a 1945 Detrola 568 Radio. The model 568 was originally designed and built to fill a government contract for a "Morale" Radio for US troops involved in the invasion of mainland Japan (Operation Downfall) in WWII. The war ended before the production contract could be completed, leaving Detrola with thousands of metal cased AM/Shortwave radios painted in olive drab. Detrola decided to make lemonade out of lemons, cut the welded-on carry handles off, paint them hammer-tone silver, and sell them to desperate US consumers who hadn't been able to buy new radios since 1942.
This radio was purchased on ebay two weeks ago. on Monday evening I repainted the cabinet in original hammer-tone silver and recapped the chassis. I found a new Detrola decal to replace the one that had been lost to rust and abuse, it's in the mail and should be here soon.

Before Photo:

Was this particularly expensive? Looks like a good stylish first radio!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Morning goons, I use to listen to SW maybe 12 years ago with my son radio..

Wondering with an sdr hooked to a pi if SW is possible again. And how decent SDRs are in getting shortwave, are they poo poo or do they do a decent job.

The one I picked up touts a tuner capable of 500khz which should work. Obviously I'll need an antenna outside (still probably have my wire for my attic antenna somewhere made with phone cord.

I'm getting back into radio needing, grabbed a cheap rear end ham and am working on getting my tech license.

• Locked thread