Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chieves posted:

Bunny owner E/N here- posting through it to try and sort out emotions.

We have two bonded girls (echoing, by the way, that we will never NOT go for a bonded pair ever again. If you can do one rabbit, you can do two and they're so much happier!) and we THINK they're about 9 or so. We adopted them in 2018.

One of them has been on anti-inflammatories for a few months now for her old lady hips, but last week wasn't able to stand up on her own. The vet assured us that it WAS probably a nasty fall exacerbated by her arthritis, and prescribed some gabapentin to augment the meloxicam. Asked to check back in in about 3 weeks. And sure enough, she improved over the course of the week! Could raise up from a loaf on her own, able to hunker down for some self-grooming. We still had to help her up a bit but progress is progress!

Yesterday was a repeat of the first day last week, almost back to square one- no willingness to stand again. I'm concerned she hurt herself again overnight, but she's entirely on a carpet now to remove slippage. So we're keeping on keeping on... she still LOVES eating and grooming her bonded mate, but the wife and I are still worried and disappointed for obvious reasons. We'll see if we see another bounce back, but I'm trying to steel myself for a hard decision in a few weeks' time.

Going back to bonded pairs, I think that's the part we'd feel worst about. Read all sorts of tragic stories about a bondmate just kind of giving up once their partner leaves.

add a third, it'll help soften the blow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Chieves posted:

Bunny owner E/N here- posting through it to try and sort out emotions.

We have two bonded girls (echoing, by the way, that we will never NOT go for a bonded pair ever again. If you can do one rabbit, you can do two and they're so much happier!) and we THINK they're about 9 or so. We adopted them in 2018.

One of them has been on anti-inflammatories for a few months now for her old lady hips, but last week wasn't able to stand up on her own. The vet assured us that it WAS probably a nasty fall exacerbated by her arthritis, and prescribed some gabapentin to augment the meloxicam. Asked to check back in in about 3 weeks. And sure enough, she improved over the course of the week! Could raise up from a loaf on her own, able to hunker down for some self-grooming. We still had to help her up a bit but progress is progress!

Yesterday was a repeat of the first day last week, almost back to square one- no willingness to stand again. I'm concerned she hurt herself again overnight, but she's entirely on a carpet now to remove slippage. So we're keeping on keeping on... she still LOVES eating and grooming her bonded mate, but the wife and I are still worried and disappointed for obvious reasons. We'll see if we see another bounce back, but I'm trying to steel myself for a hard decision in a few weeks' time.

Going back to bonded pairs, I think that's the part we'd feel worst about. Read all sorts of tragic stories about a bondmate just kind of giving up once their partner leaves.

This sounds like Harriet's last few days. give your buns all the love you can.

We have a bonded pair to replace Harriet, and those two are adorable and keep each other very happy.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

She's been much stronger today, sass and all, which has been nice to see. When we prop her up for dinner she keeps getting distracted by things in the room she wants to check out and we have to redirect her attention like a little toddler.

She also LOVES taking her meds, which is nothing short of a miracle haha.

trilobite terror posted:

add a third, it'll help soften the blow

Don't show this to my wife lmao. I also do wonder how the healthy one would handle that. She's the dominant one and I could see that going poorly!