Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

I wasn't convinced until I heard Earth Song. I always wondered how they got that huge bass sound.

Rightio, Octave and Envelope filter are on the list. The MXR pedals of each seem pretty killer (especially for the price). Anything else I should consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have always thought an octave/fuzz octave would suit what I want but those videos did not sell me on the idea. I've got a Behringer Ultrabass amp (it was free and its my backup amp shhhhh) that has a built in octave down with a blend. once that amp is repaired and I can play around with it I might find a use for octave down.

my board, in order:
- Caroline effects Cannonball fuzz vintage king
- Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
- Bass Muff Pi Nano
- VT Bass Deluxe
- Polytune 3 nano

(straight into the preamp stage on my Orange terror bass with no EQ)

VT Bass deluxe was on facebook at a stupid price so I grabbed it to replace my OG VT Bass. I have 3 basses and 2 bands, so each bass has its own preset for each band. its a very big pedal and takes up a lot of space for an always on pedal though. The DI is useful and makes my pedal board a flight rig, although theres some odd design/interface choices such as the FX loop engaging with a double click of the same button that changes between preset bank A or B that make a lot of its features a bit annoying to use. Honestly might go back to the OG VT Bass instead and save this for studio time.

the Morley wah is switchless so its great. it is too big though and I want to replace it with one of the new, smaller 20/20 wahs. I dont like Mark Tremonti, but my brother does (I am also a Metallica/Burton tragic so he gave me this when he upgraded. a free Morley is a free Morley.)

Cannonball is always on for my doom band. Sounds like ripped speaker cones. the Havoc button means I can make disgusting feedback as chords/notes decay. Another brotherly gift. heres what the Havoc switch does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XiS3fZ3V0Q&t=239s

I use the Bass Muff Pi Nano for my 70s rock band as its a bit less angry than the Cannonball and I have it set up as a bit of a boost for when the guitarist is soloing to thicken up the overall sound.

I've got about 15 other pedals that arent on there. 80% of them are fuzz. I should've just got an MXR Brown Acid like my buddy and called it a day. that is a drat good bass fuzz.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Laserface posted:

I have always thought an octave/fuzz octave would suit what I want but those videos did not sell me on the idea. I've got a Behringer Ultrabass amp (it was free and its my backup amp shhhhh) that has a built in octave down with a blend. once that amp is repaired and I can play around with it I might find a use for octave down.

my board, in order:
- Caroline effects Cannonball fuzz vintage king
- Morley Mark Tremonti Wah
- Bass Muff Pi Nano
- VT Bass Deluxe
- Polytune 3 nano

(straight into the preamp stage on my Orange terror bass with no EQ)

Why is your tuner at the end of the chain though?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mute switch just in case something wigs out and starts making noise. I've never had a problem getting in tune but I have had problems with unwanted noise from standing on cables and breaking them or accidentally diming a level knob when kicking a pedal on.

The cannonball also needs to be first as its havoc button doesn't interact with the knobs on the guitar if there's a buffer in between the guitar and the pedal.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thanks. I think I have settled on the Rumble 200.

Me shopping for anything of consequence: https://youtu.be/P2RySXRfnWw?si=Yy9iadC1Gj99V80d

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

H13 posted:

Envelope filter is on the list...

I kinda hate synth pedals so I'll pass on that front, but cheers for the recommendation :)

I keep hearing about Octave pedals on bass, but...I don't get why? Can somebody provide a kickass example of when somebody's used Octave on a Bass guitar to make something awesome?

(Also, I'm gonna grab a Digitech Ricochet Whammy at some point)
I found this pretty helpful at answering the "why would I possibly want an octave pedal?" question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWrPWi1Qtrs
or the tl;dr version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCekyZLAZUc

H13 posted:

I wasn't convinced until I heard Earth Song. I always wondered how they got that huge bass sound.

Rightio, Octave and Envelope filter are on the list. The MXR pedals of each seem pretty killer (especially for the price). Anything else I should consider?
I'm far from an expert on these things, but I got a Boss OC-5 and it's been super fun for making organ sounds by adding +1 and -1 octave, in addition to the more usual uses (0 direct sound, maximum -1 octave seems to be the most common). I've resisted picking up the MXR envelope filter so far, but it might be the next addition.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:discourse: very nice

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

are the fender vintera ii jazz basses good? the lake placid blue with rosewood is my thing

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

ethanol posted:

are the fender vintera ii jazz basses good? the lake placid blue with rosewood is my thing

If you can play one, check out the G&L Tribute JBs. Fit, finish, and hardware on my G&L Tribute P runs circles around any Fender MIM and even most MIJs I've played in my personal experience, and they're available in lake placid blue with rosewood. I'm an absolute fanboy for them now and I might pull the trigger on an MIA next year.
G&L *do* trend heavy

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So a while ago, I set out to replace my ailing Eden amp with something new and shiny. I saw all kinds of nifty options at the Toronto Long & McQuade music store, only to get there and witness...a refurbished Ampeg and a GK. Not to cast aspersions on GK, but I was hoping on trying out stuff that I hadn't heard before, especially the Mesa-Boogie amps they were supposed to have. So I walked out of there with the GK - it was a nice sounding amp but carrying it was like trying to haul a boat anchor. It had some issues recently so I took it to a local L & M to get it repaired and lo and behold, they had some nice Mesa amps there. I decided that since I'm in my 50s and can't afford getting a hernia every time I have a rehearsal, I would swap out the GK for the more lightweight M-B Subway WD-800.

My Dad comes from the days when he would use punch cards with a mainframe and his eyes did this :eyepop: when I showed him a tube amp* that weighed 7 pounds.

* well ok, hybrid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Switched mode power supplies rule and should’ve been introduced sooner.