Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

IME it depends a lot on where you buy it. I've consistently gotten softer lots at Joanne, iirc, but nowhere else.

It definitely will felt, though, it's not superwash. It's worked up softer for me than it feels in the skein too, but I also don't wear it direct on skin. It's a little too itchy for a hat for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oh, if it's too itchy for a hat then definitely not for a sweater, then. I will continue my search for a locally-available yarn.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Mad Hamish posted:

Hmmmmm I really dislike that garter stitch panel along the sleeves but I expect that could be omitted entirely.

My first sweater was the flax pattern, with seed stitch instead of garter for the panel. I liked it considerably more.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am working on an Alpine Bloom sweater and am really hoping to knock a big chunk out of the body this weekend

Bonus in the pic, the Ashford traddy a college friend got me hooked up with. I need to get spinning on her soon - my first wheel!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh that's beautiful! What's the collar design?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It is lace that was part of the pattern - I was a little scared because I am not a great lace knitter! The pattern as a whole is really fun, the sleeves also end in it but you need to graft it on which I am bad at so we will see!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Looks beautiful. Grafting takes 120% of my concentration to get right and even then I might screw it up… I like tincanknits type stuff where it’s top-down and ‘put these stitches in hold for the sleeves.’

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

That sweater is beautiful! As for spinning, haha well, from what my GF gets up to it can be pretty addicting! I think fully half the space under the bed is taken up by her fibre stash.

Cast on my Flax sweater (minus garter panels on the sleeves - if I like how this goes I'll do another one with a cable panel in that spot?) yesterday and I'm already halfway through the yoke. The collar seems to be awfully loose BUT I am trying out the option where you add the ribbing later by picking up the stitches, which I may come to regret because it's something I haven't enjoyed in the past.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

What yarn did you end up going with?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Patons Classic Wool, worsted, in Heath Heather which is a nice greyish-brown. Entertainingly, it's almost the exact colour as some alpaca my girlfriend just finished plying.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I have learned a valuable lesson about not buying all the yarn I need for a project at once. My scarf is now slightly two toned because the extra yarn I needed (same brand, same advertised color) is slightly lighter.

I'm debating doing a light dye job when I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

That's just a design feature, and if someone doesn't immediately understand that then their aesthetic sensibilities simply cannot comprehend the scope of your artistic vision.