Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I wanted a drying rack for my bar glasses so I made one out of a spare piece of walnut I had kicking around.

If I was going to do it again I'd be a little more careful about the dimensions (that one top part is obvioulsy wider than the rest, but I was just messing around with some scrap. I'd also do the bottom dadoes first, the dado stack kind of blew out some of the angled pieces.

Ooh, nice! In fact, nice enough that I might be able to convince my SO that I should make one just like it. How'd you finish the wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Trabant posted:

Ooh, nice! In fact, nice enough that I might be able to convince my SO that I should make one just like it. How'd you finish the wood?

I just hit it with cutting board conditioner (beeswax and mineral oil).

If you're interested in doing one here's what I'd do differently.

1: do the bottom dadoes first.
2: swap to your standard blade and do the angles, making sure you plot them out better than I did.
3: go back to your now skinnier dado stack and clean up in between the angles.

Then just lightly sand the whole thing and wipe it down with the polish.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I recently got a double bass and have been supremely enjoying noodling around

However, the drat thing is massive and I want to play with other people, so I'm building a washtub bass of sorts so I can strap it to the back of my bike and ride to my friends places

But because I'm like that, it's Gunna be a little more complicated, Its going to be a two string so I can hit dyads and have harmony, something resembling positions and a slightly extended range

So watch this space, I'm making a bass

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you can shoulder a bass on a unicycle you could be more powerful than any weird unicyle bro has ever been. i urge you to consider your options.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

if you can shoulder a bass on a unicycle you could be more powerful than any weird unicyle bro has ever been. i urge you to consider your options.

I used to routinely roll around town on my unicycle with a guitar so I think I might have crossed that Rubicon some time ago

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
bass /= guitar but still a degree of respect. lol the mental image alone.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

bass /= guitar but still a degree of respect. lol the mental image alone.

Now add a very British private school uniform and big backpack and occasionally juggling balls/clubs and you have what the principal at my high school had to deal with every day for a couple years

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Most recent project started and finished in about a week. Picked this up for $85. Bridge was actually broken so that was the priority, but it needed some serious love all around. First picture doesn't really show it, but this thing was filthy. Dressed up the frets, gave it a good cleaning and conditioned the fretboard. Swapped knobs, strap buttons, and the bridge and then gave it the full setup treatment. I'm happy with it. Probably get some new tuners and new electronics, but not in a hurry about it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I know how I learn and I gotta make one "lovely" version that I can gen my head around and make mental adjustments

It plays a tune for sure, and wouldn't be out of place in a jug band, bunt I'm not performing with it

I've got myself a 2000x50x70 chunk of hardwood offcuts I'm sketching designs and sorting out angles on

Going to spend a good month or so on the design before I make any cuts

But so far it looks the part, just need to find/ build a resonant chamber

Ideally the whole thing can be broken down in 20 minutes with minimal tools

But hey progress

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jestery posted:

It plays a tune for sure, and wouldn't be out of place in a jug band, bunt I'm not performing with it

IDK why this whips

Finally got this thing re-set. Why not make the prong setting one big toothed bezel I said, no more prongs getting damaged it'll be so much easier I said, it'll just clamp down and definitely not explode whatever rock you put in it

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

IDK why this whips

I'm jazz trained and would would feel wildly limited by just one string

I gotta atleast do two strings

The end goal is the hit open mic /slam poetry nights with this abomination. And if I'm performing solo, I wanna be happy with it

Edit:

Plan is coming together

Biggest worry is the break angle but I've done some napkin math at it should be around 20 degrees, a bit tight but probably not the worst for a washtub

Jestery fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 13, 2024

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Alright, I found some old pallet wood and am making a proof of concept

Coming together though

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Change in plans due to learning things as I'm going

But it's coming along

Or atleast starting to look the part

I even radiused the fretboard and bridge

Not expecting amazing things acousticly, but I have a piezo pickup I'm going to install once it is strumming away and hopefully I have something I can take to slam poetry nights

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Well, here it is

Strung up with trimmer line and such,

Sounds nice and smooth but clearly home made, I need to spend a bit of time getting everything prim and proper and finish the neck with some linseed oil but its working and I'm very happy

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
100% no disrespect AT ALL but i LOVE things that look janky but work really well. half the poo poo i make i purposefully add flaws and weirdness (the other half is accidental flaws and jank). again, no disrespect, i think it's awesome because it looks so not professional.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you plan on carrying this via unicycle though id shave those corners down. they look pokey

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

InsertPotPun posted:

100% no disrespect AT ALL but i LOVE things that look janky but work really well. half the poo poo i make i purposefully add flaws and weirdness (the other half is accidental flaws and jank). again, no disrespect, i think it's awesome because it looks so not professional.

Oh man, I've got all kinds of stuff in the pipeline you're gonna love

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

InsertPotPun posted:

I totally get it, I plan to go to community "keep city weird nights" with it so it will fit in perfectly

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah that's almost as good as the first one, nice work

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
ok. he is really hard to take a good photo of so i apologize if these are too blurry.

he's fuzzy so the camera couldn't focus

the big black felt coat doesn't help

felt and needle felted wool and sewing and pipe cleaners and clay make a very dapper young frog about town.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I have a friend whose really into Hedorah, so I attempted to make a little sculpture of the kaiju for his birthday. I think it turned out pretty good!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Chip McFuck posted:

I have a friend whose really into Hedorah, so I attempted to make a little sculpture of the kaiju for his birthday. I think it turned out pretty good!

That's a pretty good Hedorah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's Hedorahble.