Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's weird. I would expect anyone specializing in automotive wiring to be used to people driving in with twist-n-tape stereo installs and winches installed with wire nuts and then having to replace all that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Solved!! (I think). One of the battery terminal leads that connects to the sPOD, winch and (I assume) the starter was loose! It wasn't super obvious, so I had to grab and twist a little bit, but once I did I was able to see a ton of play in the nut holding everything together. Busted out the 12mm and tighttened everything down, and boom no more boiling hot battery terminal!

Wohooo! I feel silly for not checking that sooner. This is also one of the first tools I feel justified in purchasing, since it just ended up saving me a ton of money. Now lets see if this holds...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
your winch isn't one of those warn evo10 units with the wireless remote that was recalled a couple years ago, is it?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
That's one of the common things I used to see in the shop. People add accessories and the ring terminals stack up on the post and when you tighten the nut down, it feels like it's tight, but one of the ring terminals got caught on a thread. So it feels like it's tight, but once you drive and vibration occurs, the connections actually get loose.

Glad you figured it out before a large, fiery problem occurred!