Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

:siren:Check out the new project.log subforum for programming and other projects!:siren:

This is not Haus of Tech Support. Cavern of COBOL is about programming. If your question is not about programming, it probably does not belong here.

:siren: Please do not close your threads. :siren:

Q: I want to learn programming, what language should I use?
A: Python. It's free, has good introductory books, and places an emphasis on simplicity and consistency in the core language. After you learn Python, you can go learn C/Perl/Scheme/Ruby/whatever tickles your fancy.

Language choice is religious for some, but ultimately just programming anything is more important than what language you use. If you would rather learn a different language, or you have a friend who knows some other language and is willing to help you, learn that instead.

Q: I want to program games, what should I use?
A: Either XNA or Python with Pyglet. Read the Game Development Megathread

Q: I have a little question regarding...
A: You probably don't need to make a new thread for it. General Programming Thread if it's a general question, or post in the appropriate megathread: C/C++, Python, Ruby, Go,Java, Javascript, Android, Apple (iOS/OSX), Excel, Flash, .Net (C#/VB), OpenGL/DirectX, PHP, Perl, SQL.
Also read these megathreads for more information on each topic.

Q: I want to do web stuff, help? Frameworks: Django, Ruby on Rails. Javascript Libraries: jQuery, Prototype+script.aculo.us, and MooTools are all good choices. See the Web Design/Development thread for more information.

Q: How can I waste even more time talking with you guys?
A: Point your IRC client to #cobol on irc.synirc.net. You can connect without installing anything using Mibbit.

If you have any additions or corrections, PM me or message me on IRC.

Scaevolus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU