Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Asking this one on behalf of a friend:

quote:

anyone know a game from 90's (possibly a dos game) that involved boats possibly pirates going around a map like a boardgame
When I threw out the obvious "is it Sid Meier's Pirates" I got the answer:

quote:

i dont think it was
it was top down
and used ether cards or dice (or something) to move/attack
dont think it was "3d"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It wouldn't be Redhook's revenge would it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aq868Sqmuk

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Ask again.

Could also be Sid Meier's Colonization.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pulsarcat posted:

It wouldn't be Redhook's revenge would it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aq868Sqmuk
Seems like this is the one! Thanks!

EDIT: It seems that Redhook's Revenge is not the game; it's apparently "super similar" but the game in question had "more bits" (better graphics).

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 15, 2024

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Another one from another friend:

quote:

it's a fighting game very polygonal like virtua or vipers but it came out on pc at the time I think some characters had weapons and it was lots of city scapes
It's not either One Must Fall game, it had human characters apparently.

EDIT: Never mind, it was Last Bronx.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 15, 2024

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Commander Keene posted:

Try Uncharted Waters 1 or 2, which used "cards" for fencing/boarding.

Commander Keene posted:

Another one from another friend:

It's not either One Must Fall game, it had human characters apparently.

EDIT: Never mind, it was Last Bronx.
Throwing out a longshot guess of Savage Warriors, (which I only ever remember coming in a 10 game pack that I regret not picking up):
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2702100/Savage_Warriors/

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

here's another one from my dad: some kind of browser-based puzzle game where you're playing as a little guy, and you're trying to find your spaceship? he distinctly remembers some kind of lever-pulling puzzle. and he says it had a very distinct art style, and he thinks it had a french or maybe italian name. he also says he thinks it got a sequel

again, i know that isn't a heck of a lot to go off of, but you guys are wizards so maybe you can figure it out.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

someone awful. posted:

here's another one from my dad: some kind of browser-based puzzle game where you're playing as a little guy, and you're trying to find your spaceship? he distinctly remembers some kind of lever-pulling puzzle. and he says it had a very distinct art style, and he thinks it had a french or maybe italian name. he also says he thinks it got a sequel

again, i know that isn't a heck of a lot to go off of, but you guys are wizards so maybe you can figure it out.

Samorost? I can’t remember if finding your spaceship was the objective, but it was browser-based and sounds like it otherwise fits the bill

https://youtu.be/lEt5oiEcMIM?si=54Ur3aSN9f6Zmbo5

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Samorost? I can’t remember if finding your spaceship was the objective, but it was browser-based and sounds like it otherwise fits the bill

https://youtu.be/lEt5oiEcMIM?si=54Ur3aSN9f6Zmbo5

it sure the heck is! thanks! :D

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There was a PC game that was, like, "this unspecified threat with a weird name (that is the name of the game) is coming for this town in 3 weeks, what do you have your heroes do in that time?" and it was options like fight in the arena, work at the hospital, hunt down criminals, tend a garden, etc. All just choosing options from a list, and getting illustrations and text describing what happens. At the end, the threat would come in and you'd probably fail to stop it, but your heroes might still be able to help the town rebuild afterwards.

It was a game of building an implied narrative out of disconnected elements, I'd say, plus admiring some nicely-made illustrations. Someone LP'd it on SA once (in the last decade, probably?), a one-and-done with no replays to see how things might have turned out differently.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There was a PC game that was, like, "this unspecified threat with a weird name (that is the name of the game) is coming for this town in 3 weeks, what do you have your heroes do in that time?" and it was options like fight in the arena, work at the hospital, hunt down criminals, tend a garden, etc. All just choosing options from a list, and getting illustrations and text describing what happens. At the end, the threat would come in and you'd probably fail to stop it, but your heroes might still be able to help the town rebuild afterwards.

It was a game of building an implied narrative out of disconnected elements, I'd say, plus admiring some nicely-made illustrations. Someone LP'd it on SA once (in the last decade, probably?), a one-and-done with no replays to see how things might have turned out differently.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/269030/The_Yawhg/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLAe7mTnCik

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's also an SSLP on the archive. That was a fun thread.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yep, that was it, thank you!

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
I saw this puzzle game on instagram and can't remember the name of it. In it you type letters and you need them to fall in a certain way to collect a dot somewhere on the level. I remember it was grey on a white background.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I am trying to remember the name of a 2D free game where you controlled a starship that floated from planet to planet picking up and dropping off colonists while battling over territory in space

I remember the game seemed to have pretty detailed readouts of the population and resources on each planet — the trick was to keep your civilization booming while keeping your rivals down. you could use heavy nukes to wipe out your enemies' colonies or slowly infect them to death with bio weapons, keeping the planet's resources intact. you could also infect your enemy's ships, and they would spread contagion at every planet they visited, along with their colonists. you controlled only one ship and it was a little bit of a challenge not to let your rivals sneak into your territory behind your back while you were busy elsewhere

the tone of the game was irreverent — I want to say the graphics were on the cartoony side. but fairly polished, windowed play for 2002/2003

I was a big GameHippo hound in high school in the aughties — it might have been available on the site or not

thanks for any help — I love this thread

edit:

nailed it, thanks!!

vvv

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 27, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Warpath

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath.htm

Or maybe Warpath 97 from the same developers, I've never played the version that wasn't originally made for Windows 3.X

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 27, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Your description sounded kind of similar to The Last Federation, for what it's worth. Obviously not the correct game, but you control a single precursor ship, trying to wrangle a bunch of bickering aliens into making nice with each other. This can (and likely will) involve wiping out some of the factions, assassinating leaders, stealing techs from one faction to give to another, and a bunch of other 4X-adjacent conceptions. There's no contagion or colonization systems, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Welp, time to reinstall Star Control II.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

did you see UQM just got a steam release. No big changes but that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Shine posted:

Welp, time to reinstall Star Control II.

You'd better. Or else! :argh: