Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So you changed all the instances of “gently caress” to “gently caress”, right? :v:

Jokes aside it's interesting to see how much I need to edit to get rid of swear words, in all these cases.

e.g. for "loving" I almost never needed to change the words around it. As a word it's both useful and useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You'll have to excuse all the "motherfucking bullshit" and "goddamn dick-blasted assholes" and such in my submissions. I don't know why but Kirby games just bring out the worst in me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lunar Suite posted:

Rune Factory games are largely like Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons games, with some dungeon crawling and more item crafting atop it to keep it fresh. The Request board outside your base gives you tons of requests that are actually tutorials for anything from monster taming to raising crop levels.

This is super helpful, thank you! Game owns so far.

One question I had though is why items sometimes have more than one number as a level, separated by commas. There’s a lot I’m figuring out as I go on but I’m still like less than two weeks in and that has me stumped.

e: VVVVV— whoa that makes sense, I didn’t realize it let you stack different item levels at all. Rad.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 6, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rockman Reserve posted:

One question I had though is why items sometimes have more than one number as a level, separated by commas. There’s a lot I’m figuring out as I go on but I’m still like less than two weeks in and that has me stumped.

That's because you have a stack of items that are different levels - the game still lets you group them together but it tracks the level of each item individually.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Anyone got anything for Sifu? I've played enough to beat the first boss, and I'm simultaneously enjoying it while also feeling like I dont really know what I'm doing.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Sifu is mostly about getting gud. I haven't finished it yet so someone might correct me.

* When you restart an area you go back to the age you were when you started it, losing any progress made, which isn't as bad as it sounds.
* I recommend focusing on learning moves permanently, you do this by buying them 5 times before a reset, so just keep buying the same move until it's permanent.
* Skills that have a lower age limit can still be upgraded to permanent as long as you started it before going over the age limit.
* Items are also permanent, and often a key for a door in one level will be in a future one, so you'll have to back track and replay the levels to get all the endings and such.

There's stuff I'm much less certain about, like I think if you replay some levels but do worse, you can quit that run and play whatever levels you've gotten to at the youngest age you've reached them. Dodging and parrying are important to learn, but I'm not sure when you can parry. I believe it's a move that has a flash on it, might be the last move in a combo, but I think there are different colored flashes that indicate if something can only be dodged or can't be maybe. Blocking helps but there's a stagger mechanic to manage with that.

I think there's also something to do with the level unlocks you can get and if you beat a level without dying, like I think those picks got locked but maybe that wasn't true or got patched because I'm not finding anything on that now.

Yeah, it's mostly just about practicing and figuring out the enemies' various deals.

bobmagic
May 12, 2001

Sifu:
  • Don't button mash
  • Heavy attack isn't that much slower than light attack and can work fine as your main attack button
  • If you interact with the training dummy at your home base there are a series of trainings that go through the basics and are highly recommended. The same dummy also lets you do free training where you can practice against any enemy you've beaten including bosses.
  • You have two basic defensive moves - a dodge and a parry - and you'll want to get comfortable with both.
  • Parry is probably the "better" option since it helps build up the enemy's structure meter, but is more risk/reward and enemy grabs can only be dodged, not parried.
  • Despite how the animations look, there are only two different dodges. L1+left, back, or right all dodge enemy normal/high attacks while L1+up dodges sweeps.
  • Button inputs are relative to your character and also work in reverse (e.g., forward -> back -> heavy attack and back -> forward -> heavy attack will do the same move in opposite directions).
  • The throw (square + X) is very good and can be done when the enemy is stunned after taking lots of hits or a successful parry. You can throw enemies into each other to create space, throw them off ledges/over railings, or into walls.
  • Unlocking the same skill multiple times (either in the same run or in multiple runs) eventually makes it permanently unlocked from the start of a new run, so if you find a skill you really like consider focusing on it until it's permanently unlocked.
  • It's personal preference and if you play enough you'll unlock everything permanently, but I recommend unlocking the Environmental Mastery, Ground Counter, and Slide Kick skills early on.
  • You can replay previous missions and if you beat it at a lower age that age is used going into the next mission as well as the shrine choices you made.
But yeah like Brightman says, really it's all about practice and getting better. Your first few times through a level will be rough, but I promise you'll soon be able to blow through fights that seemed impossible if you stick with it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I believe that "parrying" that gives an opening gives a big shine while normal perfect blocks just give a smaller shine, but it isn't always the end of a combo.

You can parry or dodge any attack, but there is a balance with it. Parrying gives stagger damage to the enemy but also makes you take some as well, so I've found that I parry til my stagger gets higher and then switch to dodge, which lowers your stagger with each move.

For other tips

- Don't neglect your focus abilities, they are really helpful in a pinch and the bar refills fairly quickly.

- Make sure to search around for weapons in arenas. There's no time limit, so running away to look for a pole to fight with is perfectly fine.

- The only way to regenerate health is by doing finishing moves.

- Actually use the moves you are unlocking. It's temping to just button mash when you have an opening but the specials can do more damage. More importantly, a lot of them are important to controlling space and distance, allowing you to close quickly with enemies or knock them down temporarily.

VVV Maybe, but it's so minor that I don't really notice it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 8, 2024

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CuddleCryptid posted:

- The only way to regenerate health is by doing finishing moves.
I think defeating enemies gives health but it's much less.

Other Sifu:

- Strongly consider not using the shortcuts you unlock unless you just want to practice on a boss. Unless you are a "SL1 Dark Souls" person you want the shrine upgrades and skipping to a boss usually only provides one.

- Also, work on your score because the highest score upgrade option (the red ones) is hugely beneficial in getting fights ended, which ultimately is your goal: beating the poo poo out of everyone.

- Bosses, at least the first 4, are in some ways technique (ie "learn gud") checks. The second boss, for example, is very easy once you get dodge-parries down (he keeps swinging the stick at your head so time the ducks), and if you've invested anything into the "gain focus from parry" red skill you can quickly rebuild your focus bar for easy damage.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

SiKboy posted:

Anyone got anything for Sifu? I've played enough to beat the first boss, and I'm simultaneously enjoying it while also feeling like I dont really know what I'm doing.

- gotta get good. it's a hard game.

- unfortunately the above is basically the only advice for this game. but if you can beat the first boss you can beat the rest of the game.

- there's a couple moves that are really good. i can't remember what they are but experiment with everything.

- don't get too used to the focus abilities.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Brightman posted:

* I recommend focusing on learning moves permanently, you do this by buying them 5 times before a reset, so just keep buying the same move until it's permanent.

no advice to offer, I haven't played Sifu, but I love the idea of a mechanic that rewards "the man who has practiced a single move one thousand times".

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

AFAIK You can parry anything, it's just that parrying red hits still depletes your structure, so if it's already high you'll be broken and take damage thru it. It wasn't till fighting the last boss i really got the hang of parry everything until you're at half structure, then dodge to regain your own structure (and focus!). Parrying is better in that it depletes your opponents structure like a hit would, so you want to parry as much as possible, but not overextend. Artist is still bs and best cheesed with the aforementioned slide kick and ground pound skills which you need to pass her first stage early on. Having the catch thrown items skill will speed up her phase 2.

Using push and follow techniques is an extremely powerful way of controlling rooms later on, early on: Use the throws! Abt! Always be throwing. This is also how you can chain combos and dmg on minibosses and bosses. It's always free dmg and more hits, and BIG structure dmg. I've only been playing this game for like 4 days but I'm kind of obsessed lmao

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I know this is a new release, but anything for Unicorn Overlord?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

SweetBro posted:

I know this is a new release, but anything for Unicorn Overlord?

* The game rewards command optimization. A few battles in the game tells you it's a good idea to set basic attacks to target "lowest HP%" so your soldiers prioritize finishing off the wounded instead of smacking whatever's right in front of them. You also might want to tell your clerics to wait until a target is below a given percentage of HP to reaction heal so they don't blow all their support points on insignificant scratches, or tell soldiers with a weaker poison attack not to use it on enemies that don't have actions left, as a couple of examples. In general, whenever someone gets a new skill, take a look to see if there's something you can tweak to make it more useful. Especially because the new skills tend to default to top priority, even if they're for more situational use.

* Thankfully, you can save and apply skill templates so you don't have to adjust each skill one by one on every soldier.

* Some equipment gives skills, and these skills can default to top priority. Remember to disable the new skill if it's not terribly useful for a given soldier.

* The preview estimate shown when you tell a unit to go target an enemy unit in the field does not take into account support units, so what looks like an easy victory could actually be a total loss if they've got backup nearby. The preview once the battle is starting is accurate.

* Applying or removing your own ranged supports seems to change the RNG seed for a given battle, so it can cause things like a battle going much differently if you use backup, because in the new RNG seed your dodge tank gets unlucky and dies, or a lucky crit takes out a dangerous enemy early in the fight or whatever. It's something to check for if you've got support units nearby.

* Short on Honors? Once you've already rebuilt all villages and bridges in a region, you don't need the region-specific resources (Such as Corvia Herbs or Cornian Trout) to rebuild elsewhere, so feel free to hunt for auxiliary deliveries requesting them. Don't give away Meager/Unsullied/Sturdy resources, however. Those are universal materials, so giving them away on auxiliary requests will slow your rebuilding efforts as you explore other regions. For this to pay off, you do need to be stationing guards everywhere, so you'll want to grab cheap hirelings just to watch villages when you run out of story recruits.

* Once you've got more than a couple of units unlocked, it's a good idea to keep at least one good unit in reserve and a valor point to use to deploy it in case the enemy decides to get cheeky and ambush your starting command point later in a battle.

* Despite the champion of the offline coliseum being over twice the level you're probably at when your first unlock it, it's actually possible to beat and recruit them right away. You don't have to crush the enemy to win there, you just need to do proportionally more damage to them than they did to you. Go defensive as hell. Blind or freeze annoying enemies, abuse poison and burning, seal dangerous support skills, and destroy your enemy's action and support points. If a group doesn't have true strike? A single rogue with stacked evasion gear will win, even if it might take a few attempts to get RNG to favor you. Be creative and generally just lame it out.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 14, 2024

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Played a lot of Granblue Fantasy: Relink during the past few weeks and did more or less all of it without tips, which was probably a bad move on my part, so here are some for you so that your playtime is not like mine. If anyone who has more knowledge wants to check/refute, feel free to do so as I probably could have shaved way more time than I've spent. Anyway:

* For the story missions, the Captain has to be in the party for a lot of them, so it would be wise to get used to their skills as well as building them up faster relative to the others in your party. If you're running someone else as the leader, you can at least make sure they can keep up with you along with the rest and it should be fine. For free quests, though, anyone is fair game, so bring whoever you'd like.

* Early on in the story, you'll be able to start recruiting new characters for your crew at Siero's Knickknack Shack for the cost of a crewmate card. Keep in mind that the initial strength of the newcomer is relative to where you happen to be in the story, so if you don't want to spend your cards as you get them, that's fine. Depending on when you bring them on, they may already start better than the initial members aside from possibly the Captain (depending on what you've done).

* Reserve members do collect EXP over time, but not a whole lot. It's not too much of a deal, but it is something to be aware of if you plan on swapping someone new into your party.

* If you've been turning in side quests for townsfolk, you can check Lyria's Journal and then leave it so that any new ones can load in since that counts as a transition to get them to pop. You may be doing this anyway because doing certain things gets you certain items from the Journal, so may as well.

* The mastery system can be daunting, but keep in mind that MSP drops plenty as you get further in the story as well as when your crewmates level up. Focus more on the people you plan on using first (especially the Captain, of course) and then you can worry about the rest.

* Keep up with your sigils and upgrading the weapons you're using. You won't necessarily have to start upgrading sigils until the late-game, though, so trade up for higher-tier ones instead. The max tier for sigils is 5. Once you unlock the ability to forge ascension weapons, focus on those for your main members if you want to have an easier time further down the road, but there will come a time where you forge everything and level them up for more mastery nodes in the collection tab for your characters. One step at a time, no need to rush.

* When you're fighting, you can cancel some actions by dodging and then continue your assault. There's also a setting in the options menu to auto-sprint if you get annoyed by having to constantly start it up every time. You'll want to be fast on the battlefield, or at least predict where the action is going to move to if playing as a slower character (which will take a bit but you'll get the hang of it) so that you can assist your team.

* The block is capable of reducing damage to zero, but it has some durability to it that takes time to recover to full. If you get your block broken, you'll take damage from that attack while being opened up or even knocked down if the attack is strong enough. Keep in mind if the attack causes a status effect, you run the risk of being affected by it even when blocking. Finally, some attacks are just plain unblockable (and it will be pretty clear which ones those are, in my experience), so watch out.

* You only get to dodge three times in a row before a brief recovery period where you're open, so make sure to space them out.

* If you or someone else goes down, you will run down a timer measured by a bar as the fallen member enters critical status. If more than one is downed, this timer will tick down faster. Everyone in the party starts with one revival potion to hop back up for half of their max HP, and having more than one person pick up the fallen member speeds up the recovery. If you are the one knocked down, you can mash buttons to speed it up yourself if your team is getting blocked off. You also get a brief bit of invulnerability as you're getting up, but it's not that long so don't expect it to save you from getting socked by a wide AoE attack and make sure to block/dodge accordingly.

* There's a super move in the form of Sky Bound Arts (SBA) that can be chained together with the rest in order to perform a high-damaging finishing attack at the end of the chain. Boss enemies can go into Overdrive and be whittled down until their meter runs out and enters Break mode for an opening. It would wise to use SBAs to cause Break status instead of saving it for when they are in Break, as doing so will immediately punt the boss out of Break and whatever damage is inflicted will fill up the Overdrive meter again. If you're so overwhelmingly powerful that that is not an issue or you are capable of dealing with it otherwise, then go ahead and ignore this.

* After every boss comes treasure chests. You've 30 seconds to open whatever chests pop up, but the contents are given to you regardless. If with an online party, it's up to your discretion.

* The Quick Quest system is how you get Gold and Silver Dalia Badges, which can be traded in for fabulous prizes at the Knickknack Shack. Be advised that the quests are always randomly selected from a range of lowest difficulty to whatever is currently your highest. Also be advised that there is some measure of strength scaling in case you're too strong or too weak for it. It used to be pretty bad if it choose a low difficulty quest and beaned you with heavy scaling, but an update fixed that and things ought to die at a reasonable pace. Just don't expect to get S++ on certain missions or something and keep in mind you're in it mainly for the Badges. Every 3 done is one gold ticket, which can give you another Gold Dalia Badge for each one spent up to 3, and you always get one ticket every day at midnight (or at least it's set to midnight for me).

* Playing online, you can totally pick the same character as someone else and this will inevitably happen when running Quick Quests. Go nuts.

Edited per kirbysuperstar's corrections.

A Bystander fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 17, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A Bystander posted:

* For the story missions, you can only pick the Captain as your playable leader, so it would be smart to get used to their skills as well as building them up faster relative to the others in your party. For free quests, though, anyone is fair game, so if someone seems more interesting for those, you'd probably want them in your party all the time anyway.

You do not have to be the captain for the majority of the story quests, they just have to be in the party.

quote:

* After every boss comes treasure chests. Don't walk away from the game to get a drink or something because you've only 30 seconds to open whatever chests pop up before you can't.

You also get the chests even if the timer runs out, you never lose any items.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you for those, it helps a lot.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anything for Subterrain: Mines of Titan?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Elendil004 posted:

The game is changing constantly in dramatic ways due to early dev balance updates. So I would hesitate to give any advice right now as it could become irrelevant tomorrow.

(Literally all my Day 1 lessons irrelevant in the current patch.)

Although I guess, rushing T2 Lamp is always a good idea. T1 oxygen canisters may still be useful. But T2 lamps are a dramatic step up from T1 lamps due to the increased vision. Combined with the Night Vision perk, it lets you spot most infection spreading enemies at a far enough distance where you can reliably drop them before they can get a melee hit against you, which dramatically reduces your upkeep costs.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 17, 2024

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

I really enjoyed Sifu and did everything apart from the Dragon trials which make you do things like fight two bosses at once. It's bad at telling you how to play, though!

- Some moves are more useful than others. I found Environmental Mastery, Crotch Punch and Chasing Trip Kick good ones to unlock first.
- On that note, the moves have an age limit to unlock them, e.g. the bottom 5 need you to be 25 or younger. Once they're permanently unlocked that doesn't matter, though.
- Some moves have better properties when your back is turned, e.g. the push becomes a longer ranged kick. You can manually turn away using Flowing Claw whenever you want.
- It doesn't tell you, but Flowing Claw has special follow-ups using light (triple claw strike) and heavy (Spin Hook kick).
- It says in the move description which weapons they can be used with, but they take different forms. For example, Crotch Punch becomes a very long ranged poke when holding a staff, and Charged Backfist can instakill any enemy when holding a knife.
- Strong Sweep Focus doesn't tell you that it's actually for taking someone out of the fight temporarily. If you don't attack they will stay down for about 10 seconds.
- You can and should throw enemies over balconies, off ledges, down stairs etc. as much as possible. It's a bit fiddly for throwing over balconies as sometimes you will smash their head against the railing, but it will either instakill or do a lot of structure damage.
- Eventually you will get a sense of which basic enemies get a second wind on takedown. It is random but seems to be a gradually increasing chance, so it's usually the same few. You can defeat them normally to skip it, but they are a good source of score if you're looking for that.
- Once you kill (not spare) a boss you can fight against them in the training mode.
- You can use boss shortcuts and still get all three shrines in certain levels.
- Don't invest too heavily in focus as the last boss is immune to focus moves.

Naar fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 17, 2024

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Elendil004 posted:

Too early in the game to give any longterm tips/warnings but:

Crates don't refill, monsters and resource nodes respawn and recharge fairly quickly. You're dealing with a mix of finite and unlimited resources so no need to worry over that. (there was a recently fixed bug where if you went too long without loading from a save some monsters wouldn't drop loot).
If you need some quick cash before you've reached the actual mine, buying an extra pick/scythe and going on a harvesting run through the caves for mushrooms and methane is pretty profitable (1000+ credits easy) and very low risk (even with shop-bought gear like the broom). It's fairly quick but the time cost does add up slightly even before you unlock the mines so don't go hog wild - but do take advantage of it if you can't afford replacement gear as any of the most basic free gear of the game can clear it. While a harvest chance of 41%/47% doesn't seem much different, I believe it does result in more double harvests, so buying basic tools and light is probably more profitable than doing it by hand though I can't say whether you'd experience a loss from the cost of crafted items depending on where you go to mine.
Even when the game displays a 0% discount, there's about a 10% difference in the prices (based on the tooltip price when not in a trade screen) between selling directly to the specific NPC and using the all-purpose shop terminal. There is another minor time-cost both in turn counter and player time so I often use the shop, but if I'm moving large quantities of high value unrefined ore, mushrooms, or similar stacking resources I tend to go directly to a relevant NPC.
The dogtags/id unlock new game+ benefits (the % over each class at character select), and also new portraits. Don't forget to register them in your inventory.
Researching monster parts/harvest items adds them to your codex and gives you some benefits depending on your level of research. AFAIK you need to research each item ten times for full benefit.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SweetBro posted:

The game is changing constantly in dramatic ways due to early dev balance updates. So I would hesitate to give any advice right now as it could become irrelevant tomorrow.

(Literally all my Day 1 lessons irrelevant in the current patch.)

Although I guess, rushing T2 Lamp is always a good idea. T1 oxygen canisters may still be useful. But T2 lamps are a dramatic step up from T1 lamps due to the increased vision. Combined with the Night Vision perk, it lets you spot most infection spreading enemies at a far enough distance where you can reliably drop them before they can get a melee hit against you, which dramatically reduces your upkeep costs.

How do I get the T2 lamp?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Q: How do I get the T2 lamp?
A: Progress the plot until you get access to the camp management screen. At that point, you can develop the blueprints for T2 Engineering on the production screen. After this is done, you can research any T1 lamp.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Does anyone have any specific tips for Aliens: Fireteam Elite? I picked it up in the Steam sale along with the expansion to play with some friends in our regular game session.
Is there a good class to start with?
Thanks

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Catzilla posted:

Does anyone have any specific tips for Aliens: Fireteam Elite? I picked it up in the Steam sale along with the expansion to play with some friends in our regular game session.
Thanks

Play different classes to unlock skills, since there is a lot of cross-class skills you can get to customize and strengthen your main guy.

Smart gun whips rear end, even if it isn't the hardest hitting gun. A great class to start with.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Catzilla posted:

Thanks

Sure! I do recommend starting on Normal Difficulty, beating the base campaign doing so unlocks another class and the scaling is tuned for leveling the classes. If your group is competent enough at shooters you find the difficulty a bit too easy and want a taste of Hard difficulty without actually playing it yet, you can turn off the xenomorph's being highlighted when you ADS in your settings menu. This is off by default on Hard+. It makes the game feel entirely different.

As of the last time I played, Challenge cards can be played by all three players in a squad but only one card will be selected to affect the mission. You can either co-operate to get the best bonus, or each throw up something you think would be funny to see what goofy poo poo you'll need to put up with. Some of the challenge cards are kinda silly.

If anyone chooses Medic as their class, note that anyone in the squad picking up a medkit will refill the field station's charges not just the medic.

Most of the weapons at least have a niche, but some are just gonna feel better than others. That said don't worry too much about potentially wasting money on a new weapon that might be a disappointment, you will also be unlocking weapons via completing the campaign. There are unlocks for Normal and Hard if you want an excuse play the game again.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 19, 2024

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

A retraction to my previous post about Subterrain: Mines of Titan, from the patch notes:
Infection rise start trigger moved from defeating boss1 to when player actually first arrives at B1

Do, in fact, take your time if you feel like it.
This implies that you can take your time getting the first level or two of each weapon skill if you want to see what interests you the most before spending perk points.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 20, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Horizon: Forbidden West just dropped for PC, anything I need to know?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Thanks for the Aliens tips. The smart gun is hilariously op and I get twice the kills as my friends!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Catzilla posted:

Thanks for the Aliens tips. The smart gun is hilariously op and I get twice the kills as my friends!

I never "upgraded" to other heavy weapons, it's just too good.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Catzilla posted:

the flamethrower is loving awesome when you finally get it. Be careful of friendly fire though, even after the devs finally fixed the frankly absurd amount of FF it did it's still very easy to kill your friends with it lol.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Small one for Dragon's Dogma 2:

* when your pawns say something like "something catches the eye", or "what's that?", causing a "!" to appear on the map that isn't referring to a ladder, then it's almost certainly a seeker's token. These look like smallish flat discs, about the size of a fist, laying flat on the ground, and are worth picking up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Since I'm all about the latest and hottest game releases, I made a page for the OG 1997 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

quote:

* When playing on PC, the fanmade open source R.E.L.I.V.E. engine is recommended to fix a variety of compatibility issues with this game and Abe's Exoddus.

* Ducking down at suspicious spots and rolling at walls are key for finding most secrets. That said, even the starting area is littered with endgame difficulty secret areas which makes the optional challenge of rescuing all mudokons on a first playthrough very challenging, even with a guide.

* Unlike the sequel and the remake, the original game is entirely checkpoint-based and saving mudokons from even the most brutal secret area does you no good if you don't make it to the next checkpoint. While not 100% reliable due to inconsistent triggers, it is sometimes possible and less risky to backtrack to a previous checkpoint instead. Checkpoints are marked by a brief diamond-shaped icon appearing above Abe's head.

* Note that checkpoints don't save your game, so you should still save regularly in case of crashes and the like. Loading a game simply returns you to the previous time you reached a checkpoint, so it can't be used to "lock in" current progress.

* In sections where you have to mimic sequences, you need to wait for the entire sequence to finish before repeating it.

* When possessing a slig, the "Freeze" and "Look out" commands cause all nearby mudokons to duck briefly which lets you shoot over them without hitting them.

* Repeating the "Follow me" command after the target has stopped next to Abe has them walk to the same "tile" as Abe, and a third time has them walk past it behind him. This can be useful if you need someone to drop down a ledge you're standing next to.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Elendil004 posted:

Horizon: Forbidden West just dropped for PC, anything I need to know?

There's some good posts in the Horizon FW thread by goon exquisite tea:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991284&userid=115022&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post538458780

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3991284&perpage=40&pagenumber=138#post538539004

The tips are mostly geared towards having played the first one...did you play the first one?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

listed here for ease of reading

Horizon Forbidden West

Since this game is launching on PC soon, here are my :siren:TIPS FOR NEW/RETURNING PLAYERS:siren: because the gameplay is different in a few substantial ways from Zero Dawn and a lot of people get rolled upon re-entry.

- Most people agree that the game is about one rung harder than the difficulty levels in Zero Dawn. So in other words, if you completed ZD on Hard, that would be more like Normal here. I would not recommend going any deeper than Very Hard for a first playthrough, as Ultra is kind of intended to be the NG+ difficulty.

- Learn what QUICKDRAW is. This is the most important concept in combat and it totally gets glazed over. Basically in Horizon Forbidden West, Aloy can aim 50% faster while sliding, falling from a significant height, riding a mount, or shortly after hitting something with a melee attack. You want to be triggering this all the time because the machines are in general super aggressive and most of the starter weapons are slow to aim. Weave slides in between rolls to increase i-frames and keep Aloy from stumbling.

- Because the machines are a lot more aggressive, having at least one form of crowd control is mandatory. I recommend a Spike Thrower with drill spikes for high knockdown, or the good old Ropecaster with handling coils.

- In Zero Dawn, you could generalize your loadout and be generically good at everything. In Forbidden West, it's better to specialize along a particular skill tree and focus on upgrading the weapons and outfits oriented around that particular playstyle. I recommend Ranger, Infiltrator, and Warrior as the best trees to specialize in early.

- There are six different main elemental types in HFW: Freeze, Shock, Acid, Purgewater, Fire, Plasma. I've listed them in relative order of importance. But just like Zero Dawn, you want to have a balanced weapon loadout that covers a lot of different uses and elemental vulnerabilities.

- If you don't want to kill animals for pouch upgrades, you can buy them for shards in most towns.

- If you don't want a usable item to appear on your toolbar, hold down on the D-Pad and switch it out with Square/X. As long as you don't send those items to your stash, it'll never show up on your scroll wheel again. Personally, I like to have Smoke Bombs as my main D-Pad tool, scroll left for potions/mounts, and scroll right for traps/buffs.

- Completing the main story up to the point where you collect the 3 Big Things will give you all the traversal tools necessary to unlock hidden areas like the metal flowers and underwater caverns.
- Use your valor surges, they are super OP. Waiting until all 3 bars are full = better valor surge, in case that was not obvious.

- Burning Shores (DLC) weapons and outfits are significantly easier to upgrade than those found in the main game, so don't spend too much time grinding out machine parts before heading there.

- All valor surges make you invincible for the entirety of their animation, so you can use them in a pinch to survive a deadly attack or getting blown up by a plasma explosion.

- Smoke bombs can be used to interrupt any normal machine attack animation within range, making them kind of like a parry. Even if something is leaping at you, a smoke bomb will usually stop it in its tracks.

- Any coil that boosts a generic condition rather than a specific damage type, (i.e. Agility Damage, Overdraw Damage, Concentration Damage, etc.) will also increase elemental buildup and tear by the same amount.

- Outfits that increase any of Aloy's normal skills to 4/4 sometimes provide larger bonuses when maxed out. Level 4 Machine Override for example will make all overrides permanent, instead of just lasting longer.

- It's better to just upgrade your weapons and armor whenever it's convenient rather than try to keep up with everything at all times. A blue Hunter Bow that you can upgrade to 5/5 often does more damage than a purple one you can't.

- Certain weapon types (sling bombs, warrior bows, drill spikes) also have higher hidden knockdown values, also making them useful for crowd control and critical strikes when machines are on the ground.

- I spent my entire first playthrough not understanding what Purgewater did, so simply: Purgewater removes elemental resistances from machines, and makes them unable to use most elemental attacks against you.

- If you want the long dodge from Zero Dawn back, there is an endgame legendary armor (Tenakth Vanquisher) that has this as a hidden property.

- Unlike Zero Dawn, a lot of questlines also give really nice weapon and outfit rewards, making them worth doing for reasons beyond just the story.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

FF7 Rebirth:

Most of the gameplay tips from Remake still apply

There is an upgrade weapon screen in the menu, but weapons upgrade automatically. The only thing you have control of is weapon skills.

Materia equipped to backliners get AP, but only if they are available, so open world yes, locked party areas and arenas no.

The chapter select is even more feature filled than Remake's was, so don't worry too much about missing anything.

Auto-Cast and Auto-Weapon Ability use the ATB/MP, but Synergy does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I realize it's old as hell, but anything for Eador? Specifically, I'm using the New Horizons mod.