Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Every rally I see on youtube now is all hyundai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It doesn't help that subaru hasn't made a car you can competetitively run in beginner/non-big-money classes since 2007. Although I guess we could blame the ARA rules committee for this too.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

It doesn't help that subaru hasn't made a car you can competetitively run in beginner/non-big-money classes since 2007. Although I guess we could blame the ARA rules committee for this too.

It doesn't that's for sure. They are a relatively small manufacturer stuck in the transition to electric cars. They also feel a bit lost to me about what to do next. All-wheel drive isn't a unique thing just to them anymore.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Any recommendations for a trailer hitch for a 19 Ascent? I have looked around; Curt seems to be the main brand I see floating about. Anything else I'm overlooking? I want the hidden one, etc.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Gothmog1065 posted:

Any recommendations for a trailer hitch for a 19 Ascent? I have looked around; Curt seems to be the main brand I see floating about. Anything else I'm overlooking? I want the hidden one, etc.

Curt is what I purchased for my Outback -- specifically this one that just mounted up on the rear bumper bolts and didn't require drilling into the frame to fish the mounting hardware up inside. Hopefully it's better for the ascent, but just keep in mind how the thing is mounted when you're looking at the available options.

Speaking of towing, is there anything I can do to decrease the rear wheel sag? I put new strut assemblies on, but they're not quite up to snuff. The tongue weight is pretty close to the 200lb limit and that has me wondering whether it's actually worthwhile to install something like Rallitek overloaded springs, or whether there is anything else I could do that would be worthwhile (as opposed to just purchasing another tow vehicle)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Catatron Prime posted:

Curt is what I purchased for my Outback -- specifically this one that just mounted up on the rear bumper bolts and didn't require drilling into the frame to fish the mounting hardware up inside. Hopefully it's better for the ascent, but just keep in mind how the thing is mounted when you're looking at the available options.

Speaking of towing, is there anything I can do to decrease the rear wheel sag? I put new strut assemblies on, but they're not quite up to snuff. The tongue weight is pretty close to the 200lb limit and that has me wondering whether it's actually worthwhile to install something like Rallitek overloaded springs, or whether there is anything else I could do that would be worthwhile (as opposed to just purchasing another tow vehicle)

I wouldn't want to replace the rear springs unless it was a dedicated "I'm always towing with this" vehicle. There are definitely air bags you can get for those that you can, at simplest, inflate with a tire pump when your'e towing something and need the extra capacity in the back. They get fancier from there with auto leveling and built in pumps.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

I've got the OEM Subaru hitch on my Outback Wilderness. It replaces the crash bar and bolts right in. Its requires dropping the mufflers to get access, but the kit comes with new nuts and gaskets. I would advise leaving all of the bolts for the hitch VERY loose until its all assembled before torquing everything as you will need wiggle room to get it all lined up.

Not sure how it works on the Ascent, but the OBW requires cutting out a section of the bumper cover. If you take your time and pay attention and go slow, there are no problems. Dealers seem to screw it up all the time though,

edit - Wow, this is even easier than the Outback and comes with a 7-pin harness. Extremely low effort install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVa4XhGAfFU

Catatron Prime posted:

Some people recommend the overload springs, but you'll see a stiffer ride when unloaded. This can be good or bad depending on your preferences.

Other products include Sumo Springs inserts, but some people claim that its creating a fake variable rate spring and may put increased wear on your springs, but YMMV.

Then there's always custom airbag systems.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 1, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Motronic posted:

I wouldn't want to replace the rear springs unless it was a dedicated "I'm always towing with this" vehicle. There are definitely air bags you can get for those that you can, at simplest, inflate with a tire pump when your'e towing something and need the extra capacity in the back. They get fancier from there with auto leveling and built in pumps.

If their Outback is anything like my 2003, I would. The factory springs (or, more accurately in my case, the aftermarket replacements) are too soft even with the cargo area unloaded. I can hit the bump stops with myself and two passengers in the car. The OEM ones were soft as well, but I though that might have been from being 20 years old. Apparently not.
Also not sure where you put supplemental airbags on an IRS strut suspension.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Also not sure where you put supplemental airbags on an IRS strut suspension.

Its a single unit - strut and airbag. There is no spring.

https://accuair.com/collections/air-struts

K1ngFish3r
Mar 27, 2010
Random outback question:

I've got a 2016 outback that got rear-ended a while ago - their insurance paid and the car was supposedly 'like new' after, but eventually I noticed that the arm that lifts the rear gate can slip off. It looks like there's a clip that's supposed to go on there to secure it to the ball joint, but I haven't had any luck finding the part number so I can order another one. I'm sort of hoping this is something I can get without it being part of a larger assembly since my personal desire to try to re-open the insurance claim is near zero.

Does anyone know how I can get another one of what ever should be here?

https://ibb.co/bJ7gLBV
https://ibb.co/3sgJ6NN

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

K1ngFish3r posted:

Random outback question:

I've got a 2016 outback that got rear-ended a while ago - their insurance paid and the car was supposedly 'like new' after, but eventually I noticed that the arm that lifts the rear gate can slip off. It looks like there's a clip that's supposed to go on there to secure it to the ball joint, but I haven't had any luck finding the part number so I can order another one. I'm sort of hoping this is something I can get without it being part of a larger assembly since my personal desire to try to re-open the insurance claim is near zero.

Does anyone know how I can get another one of what ever should be here?

https://ibb.co/bJ7gLBV
https://ibb.co/3sgJ6NN

You may or may already know the name for the part, but if not this might be helpful

Unfortunately it's not called out on the diagram so I suspect the only way to get the c clip is to buy the whole darn strut.

But I think what you're looking for is a support strut retaining clip, and that I'm not sure where you would actually source replacements for a .01 cent part except for say a local pick n pull. I wonder if autozone or whatever might have something like that for sale?

K1ngFish3r
Mar 27, 2010

Catatron Prime posted:

You may or may already know the name for the part, but if not this might be helpful

Unfortunately it's not called out on the diagram so I suspect the only way to get the c clip is to buy the whole darn strut.

But I think what you're looking for is a support strut retaining clip, and that I'm not sure where you would actually source replacements for a .01 cent part except for say a local pick n pull. I wonder if autozone or whatever might have something like that for sale?

I think you just solved my problem!

I'd been staring at the diagrams without success, but for some reason I kept getting hung up on the lift gate itself. Your post made me think 'That's the same strut I've been looking at', which for some reason inspired me to go look at the lift unit since the actuating arm is attached to that.

aaaaaand I think it's this thing!
https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/parts/subaru-rod-stop-ring~63369sg000.html

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
finally bit the bullet and took my 04 sti to be inspected. good news is, it's mostly normal wear and tear for a 20y 135k mi car. a couple spots where some atomized oil and coolant residue indicates some slow leaks. the pcv assembly is pretty shot, valve looks to still be working but the hoses are all dryrotted and everything around it has a sheen of dusty oil. "a little bit of crankcase pressure but totally acceptable" rear diff pinion has the same telltale coating of oil around it. both steering rack boots are torn, but that's it, the cvs are all fine. the lower ball joints could stand to be replaced. some coolant crusties under the intake manifold indicating the coolant crossover is weeping coolant under pressure. all in all, a big relief. $55 for a laundry list of things to keep an eye on.

e: anyone with personal experience with any of these things, either diy or professional repair (or for that matter, just leaving em be and living with em) feel free to pipe up

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 2, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Its a single unit - strut and airbag. There is no spring.

https://accuair.com/collections/air-struts

Ah, you meant a complete replacement. I was thinking supplemental like you can do with a live axle car or truck.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Darchangel posted:

Ah, you meant a complete replacement. I was thinking supplemental like you can do with a live axle car or truck.

only dead axles around here, friendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

only dead axles around here, friendo

You gotta love how that's the logical opposite.
:goonsay: dead axles are solid beam axles that aren't driven, like, say in a lot of the earlier FWD cars (or the front axle in my non 4x4 Jeep :negative:), but I bet you knew that.