Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Saukkis posted:

Sounds like that has been fixed in 1.14.1077.45, VB-35695. "CTRL+ENTER in address bar deletes last typed character"

Glad it's fixed. That bug basically completely broke control enter. And even worse gmai.com is some spam site and it starts wanting to go there instead of gmail.com because its shorter and you visited before, took me a while to notice you can delete Visited addresses with the X in the dropdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have just downloaded Vivaldi and set it as my primary browser. :rip:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I keep trying to want to use vivaldi as a secondary browser, but it keeps getting hung for seconds at a time just ~processing~ something.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Hmm I still have the problem with 1.14.1077.45
If I type too fast to a URL I've been too before, the last character just gets selected and eaten up. I think it's unrelated to the Ctrl Enter bug but similar.

After typing the letters g-m-a-i-l into address bar

Finishing it with (dot)-c-o-m

Funny thing is, gmail.com is only address I can replicate this with. Like some sort of lag while typing it causes the L I type to not be recognized as typed. Submitted it as a bug report.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
New Vivaldi update adds bookmark separators which is very important to me.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I was having problems with pretty much the only gestures plug-in for chrome so through I'd give Opera another go and WOW! The inbuilt gestures are as good as they used to be and overall it's very nice, the support for chrome plug-ins is pretty useful.

Over the last 15 years or so Opera was my main browser due to mouse gestures but I stopped using it over they screwed up mouse gestures completely (around the time they the move over to the chromium backed), so it's nice to know they are back on form.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Vivaldi has had the same gestures my muscle memory was used to for years, it's mostly what got me to switch of my legacy O12 versions who kept falling apart on javascript/video heavy pages. Its tab grouping and management from the new sidebar is almost on par with the old Opera as well.

There's some leaky behavior in certain use cases with hundreds of memory heavy tabs, but hibernation is a fantastic way to keep tabs as low profile short-term soft-bookmarks and a restart every week takes care of that.

I've run into a few other issues as well, but they're mostly nitpicks (like why is copying from the address bar so drat finnicky?) at this point.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've run into a few other issues as well, but they're mostly nitpicks (like why is copying from the address bar so drat finnicky?) at this point.
Yeah have no idea how this even becomes a problem in the first place. Right click menu copy always works at least.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There's also the persistent annoyance with the otherwise amazing tab stack management where moving a stack into another one will completely scramble the manual sort orders of both with no apparent rhyme or reason, which i'm pretty sure wasn't a thing in 12. Doing it via the tabs panel is fine, but somehow using the top bar has unpredictable behavior.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
Is there anyway to use the chrome dictionary in Opera or use the Opera gestures in chrome? The opera dictionary is terrible and doesn't seem to have any technical words in it. It's as if they are using a cut down kids dictionary. On the other hand they eventually sorted out mouse gestures. Now there aren't any chrome mouse gestures that come anywhere close to Opera's. Is there any solution here. I thought about things like grammarly but they send everything you type to the cloud for mining, etc.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FSMC posted:

Is there anyway to use the chrome dictionary in Opera or use the Opera gestures in chrome? The opera dictionary is terrible and doesn't seem to have any technical words in it. It's as if they are using a cut down kids dictionary. On the other hand they eventually sorted out mouse gestures. Now there aren't any chrome mouse gestures that come anywhere close to Opera's. Is there any solution here. I thought about things like grammarly but they send everything you type to the cloud for mining, etc.

Lack of good mouse gestures (most of the addons seem REALLY sketchy these days) is what made me drop Chrome. If you want Opera but chrome check out Vivaldi. It's by far the best browser out there for me right now :).

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

Stanley Pain posted:

Lack of good mouse gestures (most of the addons seem REALLY sketchy these days) is what made me drop Chrome. If you want Opera but chrome check out Vivaldi. It's by far the best browser out there for me right now :).

Thanks. I thought Vivaldi was a opera build name, but it's a completely different browser. It looks pretty good. I think browser extensions are going to be the next big privacy scandal, they are all starting to look pretty dodgy nowadays. So I think browsers with features build in, such as mouse gestures are the safer browser choice going forwards.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Not the best thread choice for this but a place to start:

I'm weighing between adding a Roku in addition to my Bluray player (which only offers Netflix for streaming but lacks the Hulu, Amazon, CBS All Access I rely on) or buying a new Bluray player. Many of them draw from the Opera TV store for their streaming apps but I've no idea if that's still an active store. Googling suggests the Opera TV store became VEWD or something and may or may not have closed up shop for some/none/all Bluray players and manufacturers.

It's not a great match for the Opera Browser thread but I thought I'd start. Does anyone know if it's still a working app store for devices? I'd rather not have to disconnect HDMI cords each time I watch a Bluray.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 8, 2018

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

Not the best thread choice for this but a place to start:

I'm weighing between adding a Roku in addition to my Bluray player (which only offers Netflix for streaming but lacks the Hulu, Amazon, CBS All Access I rely on) or buying a new Bluray player. Many of them draw from the Opera TV store for their streaming apps but I've no idea if that's still an active store. Googling suggests the Opera TV store became VEWD or something and may or may not have closed up shop for some/none/all Bluray players and manufacturers.

It's not a great match for the Opera Browser thread but I thought I'd start. Does anyone know if it's still a working app store for devices? I'd rather not have to disconnect HDMI cords each time I watch a Bluray.

The Roku is just about 100% guaranteed to get far more updates and up to date app than any Blu Ray player.

Also, HDMI switches exist.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, just wishing for less remote juggling, power outlets, and straight forwardness for family members. Have a Roku in a primary viewing area and it's extremely nice. But another box and another remote.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
Vivaldi 2 made the color changing tab thing way too bright.
I set the "Limit Accent Color Saturation" setting down to 10% and now it's tolerable.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

suffix posted:

Vivaldi 2 made the color changing tab thing way too bright.
I set the "Limit Accent Color Saturation" setting down to 10% and now it's tolerable.
I switched to the Light theme. That seems to behave how 1.x did.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

As an Opera refugee this thread turned me onto Vivaldi a couple of years ago and I continue to use it (and love it). There are more and more reports about privacy concerns with Google and their products. As a Chrome-based browser should I have any concerns about Vivaldi in that regard?

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Basticle posted:

As an Opera refugee this thread turned me onto Vivaldi a couple of years ago and I continue to use it (and love it). There are more and more reports about privacy concerns with Google and their products. As a Chrome-based browser should I have any concerns about Vivaldi in that regard?

There is a certain risk of contamination, like the most recent changelog includes this item

quote:

[Regression] Google sign-in cookies are being set in Vivaldi and cannot be cleared (VB-44108)

From what I can find this was caused by the recent Chrome account fuckery, but it couldn't actually enable browser sync to Google since that code has been ripped out.

Another thing that annoys me is that it uses Google Cloud Print by default, but at least you can change the shortcut to print using the system dialog.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Basticle posted:

Well the concern is that it's closed-source so we can never REALLY know, but on the other hand it's certainly BETTER than Chrome.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I should probably switch entirely to Vivaldi, but I find myself returning to Opera time and again.
So latest Opera woes, it seems that the latest version launch very slowly and there's a feature called "better address bar" which is enabled by default and "hidden" in Opera flags (rather than the Settings page) that causes severe lag when writing on the address bar. So that was fun, trying to figure out what was wrong with my PC for a few minutes before realising that Opera screwed me over again.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Please stop calling the horrible chinese mutant Opera, its proper designation is "Chromera".

Meanwhile Opera v12 still works pretty good.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mithaldu posted:

Please stop calling the horrible chinese mutant Opera, its proper designation is "Chromera".

Meanwhile Opera v12 still works pretty good.

It couldn't be getting security updates though?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Not anymore, but that's entirely immaterial for what Opera v12 is.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mithaldu posted:

Not anymore, but that's entirely immaterial for what Opera v12 is.

How so?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It's a dead version of a closed source browser that never had more than 1 or 2 percent of the market in the first place, and for those who use it it provides things that the rest of the browser market place still can't do.

(For example last time i checked all solutions for chrome to do right-click + scroll to change tabs were hilariously inadequate.)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I still miss tab stacking too

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I still miss tab stacking too
Very much a thing in Vivaldi

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Was there a recent change in Vivaldi or in the forums that caused scrolling past the end of a page with the spacebar to open some stupid social media window instead of jumping to the next page? It sucks very much.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 16, 2019

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think if you are at the bottom of a page spacebar automatically "clicks" on the html element with the "next" identifier in the code, so the exact behavior is up to the site.

For me on 2.1.1337 it doesn't actually do anything at the bottom of SA thread pages, but maybe that's just prevented by my incredibly aggressive adblock settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Was there a recent change in Vivaldi or in the forums that caused scrolling past the end of a page with the spacebar to open some stupid social media window instead of jumping to the next page? It's sucks very much.

Yup, I just blocked addtoany.com with uBlock.

Of course this won't let you use that social media sharing thingy but uh...who the hell would?