Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I really don't want to study for my ONS certification but my course expires in a few months so I must ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
just take the test it's not that hard

(or at least it wasn't 5 years ago)

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

pyknosis posted:

just take the test it's not that hard

(or at least it wasn't 5 years ago)

That's reassuring, but I've been known to be stupid so my mileage may vary.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!
not relevant

combee fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 16, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
chin up, six months is the new two years

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i had two patients die on the same shift recently. they were both on comfort care so it wasn't like, out of the blue or (god forbid) my fault, nor was it the first time i'd had a comfort care patient pass on my shift, but god drat that is a lot of death in one day.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cactus Ghost posted:

i had two patients die on the same shift recently. they were both on comfort care so it wasn't like, out of the blue or (god forbid) my fault, nor was it the first time i'd had a comfort care patient pass on my shift, but god drat that is a lot of death in one day.

Yeesh, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it was the last shift before some days off.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

nope first shift of three lmao

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Does someone have a link to the epic diabetes post? I can’t find it and need it for my disease manager to give to patients 😂

Nvrmnd: http://www.endofshiftreport.com/2015/07/a-colleague-of-mine-related-tale-of-pt.html

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 26, 2024

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm considering a mid-life career change to nursing. I have a useless BA, and I've been working medicine-adjacent office jobs for the past ten years (publishing, education). The jobs are fine, but the pay is poo poo, and I've always wanted to be on the other side of it.

I have a ADN program about 45 minutes away and an accelerated second-degree-BSN program about 10. I'm leaning towards the former; it's twice as long but half as expensive, and it sounds like a lot of places will pay for your BSN once you're employed. Assuming I get into either.

I'm gonna take an A&P prereq over the spring just to see if I can even wrap my head around going back to school at 35. Anybody here have a similar trajectory?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i was a little younger when i struck off down that path, and i took chemistry first to dip my toes in, but that was pretty much my trajectory. the ADN program had a lottery and the ABSN program accepted me on the first try and i was anxious and hated my job so i pulled the trigger on the absn and went into debt. i dont regret it but if i were a more patient man i probably could have saved $100k

e: also in the area i was living in, you couldn't get a hospital job with an ADN, which factored into that. not that it made a difference, as i'm now working in a different area in a rural hospital alongside a bunch of people with ADNs

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 16, 2024

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Lester Shy posted:

I'm gonna take an A&P prereq over the spring just to see if I can even wrap my head around going back to school at 35. Anybody here have a similar trajectory?

I finished my BSN at 32. I make very good money now and I never have to worry about finding a job. Nursing is very very hard work and somewhat anxiety inducing. If you can deal with that I'd say it's a good choice.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm somewhat anxiety-prone, but part of what spurred this on is the fact that I spent the past 7+ years taking care of my elderly parents. It was nothing close to nursing, but I feel like my caretaker-anxiety muscle got a pretty good workout. Before that, I wouldn't have even considered nursing. I'm probably still too squeamish, but everybody says you get over that quickly.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

what did caring for your folks involve, if you don't mind me asking. cause if you were wipin butts and catching puke for mentally-altered terminally ill people you've seen 90% of the most emotionally and olfactorally taxing stuff med-surg has on offer

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Cactus Ghost posted:

what did caring for your folks involve, if you don't mind me asking. cause if you were wipin butts and catching puke for mentally-altered terminally ill people you've seen 90% of the most emotionally and olfactorally taxing stuff med-surg has on offer

I’ve only ever worked ICU, but I’m guessing the ratio is similar in m/s. However, that 10% of different sights/smells/emotions is pretty brutal.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Poop, puke, a LOT of pee (setting an alarm for every day at 3AM to get up and empty a catheter because they wouldn't give us a bag big enough to last through the night) chemoradiation and its complications, enough lifting to last a lifetime (I lost a significant amount of muscle after they passed).

Nothing too hardcore, I wasn't cleaning wounds or anything like that, but I've had about a year to decompress since they passed, and the thought of going back and doing similar things for people who aren't my parents, where I actually get to leave at the end of a shift, doesn't sound so horrible.

Edit: Maybe a stupid question, but is scholarly activity ever considered in nursing applications/jobs? I have about a dozen peer-reviewed, PubMed-indexed papers to my name. Can I bring that up in applications/interviews or will they look at me like I'm a space alien?

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 16, 2024

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Lester Shy posted:

Poop, puke, a LOT of pee (setting an alarm for every day at 3AM to get up and empty a catheter because they wouldn't give us a bag big enough to last through the night) chemoradiation and its complications, enough lifting to last a lifetime (I lost a significant amount of muscle after they passed).

Nothing too hardcore, I wasn't cleaning wounds or anything like that, but I've had about a year to decompress since they passed, and the thought of going back and doing similar things for people who aren't my parents, where I actually get to leave at the end of a shift, doesn't sound so horrible.

Edit: Maybe a stupid question, but is scholarly activity ever considered in nursing applications/jobs? I have about a dozen peer-reviewed, PubMed-indexed papers to my name. Can I bring that up in applications/interviews or will they look at me like I'm a space alien?

That would look great on an application I think. You may not have a chance to bring it up in an interview but I think a lot of programs (especially ABSNs) ask for your CV, and you could mention your publications there. Nursing academics love publishing, like any other discipline.

I graduated from an ABSN at 29. About 3 or 4 semester of pre reqs prior to that. Personally, I’d reccomend the BSN route. Leaves the door open for advancement in the hospital or to go to grad school if that interests you. Also, ADN -> BSN has always just seemed like such an unnecessary time sink. You’re going to repeat a ton of content I’d imagine, ADNs are RNs just like their BSN counterparts, it’s just the credential you end up with at the end of the day that limits your mobility from there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I did an ABSN and eventual MSN NP program. I think I would have been financially better off if I had done an ADN and let my work pay for the BSN by having less debt.

Of course I also would be better off if I hadn't gone for my MSN, but that should eventually pay off I hope.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lester Shy posted:

I'm considering a mid-life career change to nursing. I have a useless BA, and I've been working medicine-adjacent office jobs for the past ten years (publishing, education). The jobs are fine, but the pay is poo poo, and I've always wanted to be on the other side of it.

I have a ADN program about 45 minutes away and an accelerated second-degree-BSN program about 10. I'm leaning towards the former; it's twice as long but half as expensive, and it sounds like a lot of places will pay for your BSN once you're employed. Assuming I get into either.

I'd recommend taking a look at the local clinics/hospitals that you'd try to get a job at, and see if they have a requirement for BSNs. Also, a 45 minute commute for the next few years is no fun.

I started nursing as a career-change when I was 28. I earned my ADN, and worked as a patient tech on a med-surg floor for the last year. After graduation, I transitioned into a nursing job on the same floor. I then did an online ADN->BSN program that was a cake walk.

I did the ADN program because my hospital hired them, and it was the quickest path to me making money. You'll have to explore what works for you. Good luck!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Get the bachelors.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
e: never mind

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 19, 2024

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Roki B posted:

Get the bachelors.

At the end, this is what's important, not necessarily because you're going to be a "better" nurse, but it opens up a ton of doors for you, and in some situations you can't even get hired by specific hospitals without it.

ADN is in theory fine if you want to get your foot in the door and need to start making money, but the rhetoric I've heard is that going to school, even online, while working is annoying and taxing. If you can just get all the poo poo done before you become a nurse it's one less headache you have to worry about while suffering as a nurse.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Any advice for finding an online nursing refresher course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

Any advice for finding an online nursing refresher course?

https://www.sdstate.edu/nursing-continuing-professional-development/rn-and-lpn-independent-study-refresher-courses

this is what I've seen posted, it's online and gives you a decent amount of time to complete it. I want to say that each state board of nursing has different criteria regarding what is acceptable for refresher courses? I would say if that's the goal of re-instating your nursing license, check your BoN first and see if this program is compatible..

Your state BoN might even have a list of approved courses. the one I listed is directly on Kansas's board of nursing website, Colorado has a few as well:

https://www.coloradonursingcenter.org/nurse-refresher/rn-refresher/

So yeah, check out your state board of nursing, google something like "*INSERT STATE HERE* board of nursing refresher course" and you should find what you need... just make sure it's good for your state board.