Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Literally A Person posted:

Call me nuts but that seems like the type of pattern some thought and painters tape could handle.

Yeah when I first looked I wasn’t paying close enough attention and thought it was circles :v: I’d probably do it with tape too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm contemplating painting my front door, and had the idea to do a dithered gradient, something like this:
Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Neat, I like the design. As someone said up thread, get a flat door but alternately find someone with a copy of illustrator to do it up as a vector drawing and get it vinyl wrapped. It will save you a ton of trouble and that way if inspiration strikes again you can peel it off and get it done again.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What are some good books/online resources/courses for someone basically starting from 0 with wanting to learn to draw? Using Google or any search engine anymore is such a crapshoot since the results are often SEO AI vomit now

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What are some good books/online resources/courses for someone basically starting from 0 with wanting to learn to draw? Using Google or any search engine anymore is such a crapshoot since the results are often SEO AI vomit now

Draw A Box is an excellent starting point for basic exercises and fundamentals.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

draw a box is gay as hell, if you want some good courses go look up Vilppu

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Vilppu looks decent but the starting course is $800 and I'd have to save a bit for that one

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

just follow the same method pewdiepie did to learn drawing over a month and just copy and trace exactly the kind of stuff you want to draw and you'll most likely improve way faster than constantly detouring trying to learn all the fundamentals

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

just follow the same method pewdiepie did to learn drawing over a month and just copy and trace exactly the kind of stuff you want to draw and you'll most likely improve way faster than constantly detouring trying to learn all the fundamentals

Tracing does teach you some stuff and is worth doing for sure. Spending a lot of time looking at drawings and how people made something is always useful. But if tracing is the only thing you do then that's all you'll ever be able to do.

Which if you're fine with that then sure go for it. But if you want to be able to draw what you want when you want, you'll have to do more things in addition to just tracing.

That said the one thing I do really agree with here is you should always make time to draw the things you actually want to draw. That's true no matter what method of learning you use. Some people think they need to be "ready" to do whatever but you'll probably never feel ready if you take that approach. So, If you want to draw cats, draw 100 cats. Then practice and learn stuff so you draw the next 100 even better than the first time, etc. Don't get too bogged down by learning efficiently if the process is not fun. Drawing takes a lot of time and you should enjoy the time you spend drawing.

Drawabox is fine and a lot of people use it.I wouldn't take something like Vilppu's course unless you want something that's even more regimented and don't mind paying the money. But it's the techniques disney animators used to learn life drawing by and can be good if that's what you need. Maybe not the best to start with however. Listening to Vilppu talk about art on youtube and stuff is really fun though and doesn't cost anything.

Community colleges and city art centers usually have art courses as well for much less, and will usually teach you how to look at stuff which is a helpful thing to learn. A lot of people like to recommend Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain as well to learn drawing from observation which is not the worst starting point. It's been around for a long time, so you can probably pick up a cheap copy from somewhere.

Every way of learning has it's own limits though so you'll have to try stuff out and see what works for you.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

really though what the other poster is getting at is you should just approach the kind of subject matters you feel passionate about now, as best as you can in the same way a five year old approaches drawing dragons or godzilla: they don't measure proportionality of the vanishing point no they pick up the crayon and get going. and like their work your output will suck as well cuz youre both beginners, but drat if there isn't something charming in both.

really youve got to approach drawing like a child because else youre setting yourself up for all work no play fundamentals which can be important but imo not at the beginning of a drawer's journey. and btw if you do not want to advance your own ability like crazy forget a course, take a real life desk lamp and box and shift them around in different poses for live drawing. and that means drawing exactly what youre seeing, not what you think youre seeing (you look at the subject matter, glance down to paper, forget how a certain angle is indeed angled but instead of checking again and indeed carefully looking you draw what your mind best thinks the angle should come out as).

do all this while you grind out some Vilppu bucks (because he really is the man) and eventually you may reach a point where you can attend live model drawing sessions, another way to improve vastly superior to the enormously homoerotic drawabox (pejorative)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Thanks all for the answers. I’m kinda terrified of failure so I was really worried that, as someone starting with no drawing skill at all at 34, unless I followed a correct growth of fundamentals path I’d never get any better no matter how much I tried

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Thanks all for the answers. I’m kinda terrified of failure so I was really worried that, as someone starting with no drawing skill at all at 34, unless I followed a correct growth of fundamentals path I’d never get any better no matter how much I tried

Yeah no worries. The advantage of drawing is you can keep getting better and better even until very old age. It's not like Olympic sports or anything. Which means it's never too late to start. It just takes a little effort and figuring out how you personally learn best. Then figure out a way to do that without quitting and you'll see significant improvement before you know it. You got this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It may help to try to recontextualize what you're doing. Like, instead of "oh god this drawing I made sucks" it's "hey everyone look at my latest pencil crime". Who cares if your technical execution isn't great? You're (presumably) not trying to make a living at this, so all that matters is that you're having fun.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Dr. VooDoo posted:

just imagine how good you'll be at 44

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

One last quick, dumb question. I have an iPad Pro 12.9 and an Apple Pencil. For someone just starting out should I only be using paper and material or is okay to practice using the iPad as a tablet?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

both interchangeably

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How is Scrievner for ios? Worth the 20$? I'm thinking of something I can use for phone writing/note-taking that isn't word, discord or google docs.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

StrixNebulosa posted:

How is Scrievner for ios? Worth the 20$? I'm thinking of something I can use for phone writing/note-taking that isn't word, discord or google docs.

i liked it for macos last time i used it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's OK. It doesn't have all the features of the Mac version, but perhaps was even a bit better for being slightly stripped back. (I find Scrivener a bit all over the place and don't use things like the corkboard.)

Only being able to use Dropbox for syncing between devices was pretty annoying, though.